Ridge Racer Unbounded PlayStation 3

6.1

1. May 18, 2012
    I bought this game thinking that id be able to use it with the logitech gt driving force steering wheel, but its not currently supported, so im hoping support for steering wheels will be patched in at a later point as I think the same was done for the excellent need for speed hot pursuit. As mentioned elsewhere the soundtrack is pretty awful and seems to be limited to only a handful ofI bought this game thinking that id be able to use it with the logitech gt driving force steering wheel, but its not currently supported, so im hoping support for steering wheels will be patched in at a later point as I think the same was done for the excellent need for speed hot pursuit. As mentioned elsewhere the soundtrack is pretty awful and seems to be limited to only a handful of tracks that include classic ridge racer music and poor dubstep. This needs patching with an option to use your own playlist as the default music makes the game a little depressing to play on for me. I found the handling difficult at 1st as you find yourself trying to rebound slightly off walls when you have to do right angle turnings through the city streets and memorise what points to start drifting. The right angles I can now cope with, but what I cant handle is one 270 degrees turning (pretty much) that always seems to send your car into either a near halt or a spin! while the other drivers happily pass on by. The wrecking scenery bit is fun, but compared to split second its small fries!. You can go through walls or buildings and come out the other side, often with a jump through the air from the buildings. It proves how much effort must have gone into spit seconds set pieces and course layouts. Overall this racer doesnt seem to match up to the competition. If you want rally go for dirt3, if you want arcadey go for need for speed hot pursuit, if you want destruction/arcadeyness/big set pieces go for split second and for all out destruction/stunts dirt showdown should fit the bill (I think blur is supposed to be good also). Expand
  2. B30
    Mar 30, 2012
    It's a quite good racing game, difficult at times, but fun to play (but be aware, it's not a new burnout-style game). Anyhow, a really big drawback for me is this horrible soundtrack. This is the worst in-game music I've ever heard in a videogame. I can't even call it a "soundtrack", 'cause it's just a noisy sound carpet.
    So, please Bugbear, gimme a custom soundtrack patch!
  3. Jun 24, 2012
    In a nut-shell: sort of okay.

In a nut-shell: sort of okay.

The game has decent graphics and some with different tastes may find the game fun, but in comparison with other, (better) driving games, like Gran Turismo and Split/Second Velocity, the driving physics are difficult to master and the drifting is annoying. The gameplay and menu look and feel very close to the Split/Second game. It's hard for me to summarise but really I don't like the game. not worth the money. Wait until it's like £10 or less then i recommend buying it.
  4. Mar 30, 2012
    RRO is unfortunately not a Burnout Paradise - it's a mixture between Split/Second Velocity and Blur. The graphics is solid and the framerate is smooth in most cases. All in all it could be a good racing game, if there weren't 3 terrible A's (A = Awful ;-) First A: the very very very awful soundtrack. I know music is a matter of taste but I can't imagine that there is anyone out there,RRO is unfortunately not a Burnout Paradise - it's a mixture between Split/Second Velocity and Blur. The graphics is solid and the framerate is smooth in most cases. All in all it could be a good racing game, if there weren't 3 terrible A's (A = Awful ;-) First A: the very very very awful soundtrack. I know music is a matter of taste but I can't imagine that there is anyone out there, which likes this soundtrack (some kind of speedy dubstep). The only chance to get rid of this, is to mute the sound channel. Second A: the very awful controls. You have never the impression, that you are controlling the car. Instead the car jiggles like wobble pudding especially if you have to correct the drifting angle. And the Third A) It's not clear, which things you can crash to gain power - some obstacles are crashable others are not. Often you will hit a wall and destroy your car, because you thought you can crash it. More clarification in sense of visualization would be helpful. I'am a little bit disappointed about RRO, because I thought it will be the new Burnout Paradise, but I'am sure I will play it again, if there is no other game to play. Collapse
  5. Jul 26, 2013
    It's a quite ok arcade racing game basically, problem it has is that it kinda lacks content, it's fun to play and all but that extra content would be what would push it to among actually good games now it's just kinda fun racing game but nothing special.
  6. Mar 30, 2012

1. Though a create-and-share track builder does add to the fun, this is essentially just an enjoyable change of direction for the series. [July 2012, p.79]
  2. May 21, 2012
    Ridge Racer Unbounded is a good racing experience, being fast-paced, slick-looking and explosive. At the same time we have learned to expect «bigger and better» from each new racing title over the years, and it's here Unbounded fails dramatically, only rehashing ideas from older, and ultimately better racing games.
  3. May 16, 2012
    Falling somewhere between a traditional Ridge Racer title and a Burnout game, Unbounded fails to fully succeed at recreating either experience, ending up in between the two racing franchises in terms of quality.