7.9

1. MikkoM
    Apr 3, 2009
    Whatever nice things Rock Band 2 adds and fixes from the first game, it messes up in the track list. Most of the songs are pretty dull and give an impression that this game is tailored to the US masses. No amount of nice content can counter the feeling of not having fun playing the game. The few happy occasions are when you stumble into the RB1 songs, your bought content or the few good Whatever nice things Rock Band 2 adds and fixes from the first game, it messes up in the track list. Most of the songs are pretty dull and give an impression that this game is tailored to the US masses. No amount of nice content can counter the feeling of not having fun playing the game. The few happy occasions are when you stumble into the RB1 songs, your bought content or the few good tracks. Check the full song list before buying. Expand
  2. TomTom
    Dec 24, 2008
    Rock Band 2 presents all the best aspects of the first edition, plus it fixed the few aspects that needed improvement. My favorite point is that you can transfer your songs from RB1 to RB2, which potentially gives you a huge library of songs available to you in RB2. In addition, you receive 20 free downloadable songs with your purchase of RB2, so you should be ready to rock for some time. Rock Band 2 presents all the best aspects of the first edition, plus it fixed the few aspects that needed improvement. My favorite point is that you can transfer your songs from RB1 to RB2, which potentially gives you a huge library of songs available to you in RB2. In addition, you receive 20 free downloadable songs with your purchase of RB2, so you should be ready to rock for some time. If you still haven't had enough, there are tons of songs available for download from the Playstation Network, so you can play your hearts out. Rock Band 2 is simply put the ultimate party game, and one that is guaranteed to keep you entertained for many, many hours. Expand
  3. SamLightfoot
    Nov 6, 2008
    I was very torn between this and Guitar Hero World Tour, but I chose this, and I'm not sorry. As someone who had only previously played Guitar Hero games, I am very pleased. I bought the game mainly to play drums, but the guitar parts are just as good as GH. The guitar was a little weird feeling at first compared to GH, but after calibration and some time spent with it, it'sI was very torn between this and Guitar Hero World Tour, but I chose this, and I'm not sorry. As someone who had only previously played Guitar Hero games, I am very pleased. I bought the game mainly to play drums, but the guitar parts are just as good as GH. The guitar was a little weird feeling at first compared to GH, but after calibration and some time spent with it, it's great! Buy this game! Expand
  4. TomW.
    Oct 19, 2008
    Its a very good game, it is much different from rock band 1, you get more selection of levels,you get to hire staff to help your band out, and LOTS more songs, this game can go on forever, but there is only one problem, most of the songs are the same, and they get boring after a while, and you just wish you played a totally different song with a crazy solo. if I were you, i would buy this game.
  5. JohnJ.
    Oct 26, 2008
    Harmonix fixed everything that they could've possibly fixed from the first game and adding all of these extra songs from DLC and Rock Band 1 make the total playlist staggeringly huge.
  6. SeanL
    Oct 27, 2008
    A solid follow up to the first game. Not too much new content, but it improves on the issues with the first one and adds enough to make it special and new. The massive DLC catalog is easily the best feature and why it still holds an edge on the Guitar Hero franchise.
  7. Tim
    Nov 28, 2009
    The constantly expanding library of downloadable songs makes this likely to be the most-played game you ever purchase. Every new song brings added depth to the game in a way no other "fixed" video game could hope to do. I have found that I have spent more money on additional downloaded songs than I did on the original game! I didn't play the original Rock Band game, so I can't The constantly expanding library of downloadable songs makes this likely to be the most-played game you ever purchase. Every new song brings added depth to the game in a way no other "fixed" video game could hope to do. I have found that I have spent more money on additional downloaded songs than I did on the original game! I didn't play the original Rock Band game, so I can't comment on any improvements that were made, which I don't think matters as there are few people that would buy RB2 for the improvements--if you own RB, you'll likely buy RB2 (game only version) for the songs. Anyway, here are the pros and cons as I see them. The songs included with RB2 span a mix of genres and decades. This means that like me, you'll probably find quite a few you never heard of, bands you don't know and several you don't like. There are probably enough songs in the initial set to enjoy, but you'll want to plan to spend more money downloading songs you really like. When you form a band, you need to play sets at various venues in order to earn fans and money. Sometimes the set lists chosen by the game can be rather strange mixes of genres and/or skill levels. This means that sometimes, in order to play in band mode, you're forced to play songs you don't like (or even hate). Other times, you play a song with a high-star rating (difficulty level) for your instrument, followed by an easy song. When I make my own setlist in Quick Play mode, I prefer to stick to the songs I like and start off with more warm-up songs, eventually finishing with the hardest. Band mode should work the same way. I think it would be a great improvement if you could rate the songs and have them stored with your character. That way, in Band mode you won't get stuck playing songs you hate. As a minimum, the option to include/exclude songs from being in your list would be nice. Another nice feature would be the ability to disable songs from even showing in the list--something like a parental mode. This way, I don't have to scroll past songs I'll never play. These limitations in Band mode mean that we most often play in Quick Play mode. That way we can choose songs we like and want to play, which lets the whole family get in on the action. Another minor quibble is that when playing in Quick Play mode, I don't get to choose my character. Worse still, the game may end up pairing you with a character of the opposite sex. At least the game should offer the ability to select any of the built-in characters, but why not allow you to play your own character, even if you don't get any fans or money? A small number of downloadable songs are cover versions. I believe most, if not all, were from the early days before bands and record labels realized the positive value of being a part of this video game genre. Certainly, the number of cover songs isn't anything like the Guitar Hero games (especially the first and second versions). However, I don't think the cover versions should cost the same as "real" songs. There are some cover versions of songs I'd like to play, but I won't buy them on principle. The only other thing I would change or improve is that I think there should be a skill level that uses the fifth fret before you get into the more complex chords and fingering. Since I wouldn't want to add another skill level, I would suggest that the medium skill level have some single-note fifth fret buttons in songs. I think of all the songs I've played on medium, I've seen that maybe once or twice--I can't even remember for sure. Even with those wish-list items, RB2 is a great game. This game advances way beyond air-guitaring to your favorite songs to the radio, or even playing the guitar in a game like GH. While the guitar is my favorite of the instruments to play, I've played them all and sometimes enjoy the challenge of the other instruments. For an even bigger challenge, you can try combining vocals with guitar or drums (mike stand, purchased separately, obviously needed). The great thing about this game is that no ability to play a musical instrument is needed. I've hosted Rock Band parties and had friends that never played the game before, some who played instruments and some who didn't. Ironically, it seemed as though the people that didn't know how to play the guitar found it a little easier to play the game since they didn't have to overcome any guitar-playing instincts. Either way, the learning curve is only a few songs. Being able to play like a rock star is a real hook to enjoying the game and letting each player choose an individual skill level lets everyone enjoy the game at the same time. This is my favorite go-to video game when I want to play for ten minutes or two hours. Unlike other games which get shelved and forgotten despite my best intentions, the instruments stay in the corner of the room, at the ready for the next session. Expand
  8. BillyK
    Jan 3, 2009
    Best game this generation. I own both GH:WT & RB2 and while both are fun, Rock Band 2 is definitely the better game in almost every respect.
  9. Aug 9, 2011
    I can't tell you how many hours of fun I have had with my friends and family while playing Rock Band. It's sooo entertaining and fun to master. I finally burned out on it after a couple years.
  10. Nov 23, 2011
    Rock Band 2 is an excellent improvement upon the rough systems of the previous title. The World Tour being made single player expanded its longevity ten-fold, but the tour remains as tediously repetitious as before, requiring players to play every song at least thrice if one doesn't export the original game's track list or opt for down-loadable content (which is wonderfully diverse, by theRock Band 2 is an excellent improvement upon the rough systems of the previous title. The World Tour being made single player expanded its longevity ten-fold, but the tour remains as tediously repetitious as before, requiring players to play every song at least thrice if one doesn't export the original game's track list or opt for down-loadable content (which is wonderfully diverse, by the by). The tight engine and Harmonix's amazing support are the best features of this game, but the company no longer supports Rock Band 2. Expand
  11. Feb 3, 2014
    Songs: 8 out of 10, Graphics: 7 out of 10, Fun: 8 out of 10, Controls: 8 out of 10, Difficulty: 7 out of 10, Length: 8 out of 10, Re-play: 8 out of 10, Value: 8 out of 10
  12. Nov 6, 2014
    Very nice game, great graphics, and OK music choice. But this is not a game for those who want challenge, almost all of the songs are too easy.

The world tour career is creative made too, but it gets boring when you must play the same song on many stages. I liked Rock Band 1 much more, because it's a very fun setlist to play with friends.

Rock Band 2 improves in several areas over the original. The track list is better, the difficulty has been bumped up, it's more accessible, all previously released DLC works from the get-go, and Battle of the Bands is a brilliant online mode. But there's no getting around the fact that almost nothing was done to the main mode, World Tour.
  2. If the first game was a success on so many levels, the sequel brings the same success back but pushes it so high that at this point it will be hard for anyone to catch it up. I can’t finish my review without saying that if you never experienced Rock Band, you’re definitely missing something really special.
  3. Rock Band 2 is a solid sequel. Harmonix smoothed out most of the rough edges and added enough new stuff to warrant the full priced upgrade.