7.8

1. Nov 2, 2010
    As a loyal fan of the series, Rock Band 3 is a major disappointment. The setlist is dull, thanks to the need for keyboard-friendly songs. The online features have been scaled back so much, it's shocking. All of the Player vs. Player battles are gone. In fact, they seem to have lost sight of the "band" concept in favor of the individual. The career mode is boring. It doesn't require you toAs a loyal fan of the series, Rock Band 3 is a major disappointment. The setlist is dull, thanks to the need for keyboard-friendly songs. The online features have been scaled back so much, it's shocking. All of the Player vs. Player battles are gone. In fact, they seem to have lost sight of the "band" concept in favor of the individual. The career mode is boring. It doesn't require you to take any risk or play at any advanced difficulty. Much of the venues seem recycled. The only real improvement is Pro mode - particularly if you are a drummer, as all new, exported, and downloaded tracks support Pro drums immediately and at no charge! However, this game lacks any semblance of soul. If you don't have any desire to go Pro - stick with RB2. Expand
  2. Nov 9, 2010
    I wanted to like this game but it doesn't even seem like it was made by the same people who developed RB1 and 2 and that's a huge disappointment. First of all, this game crashes a lot, not just for me but for quite possibly the majority of people. I play online a lot and I haven't run into anyone who hasn't crashed yet. There are two kinds of crashes. One is at a particular loading sceneI wanted to like this game but it doesn't even seem like it was made by the same people who developed RB1 and 2 and that's a huge disappointment. First of all, this game crashes a lot, not just for me but for quite possibly the majority of people. I play online a lot and I haven't run into anyone who hasn't crashed yet. There are two kinds of crashes. One is at a particular loading scene with roadies pushing crates. It will completely lock up your system and you'll be forced to power down. The other is the game closing itself randomly. One second you're navigating or playing and the next you're looking at your dashboard. I don't know if there are any plans to fix these bugs but I don't understand how the game was released in this state. This couldn't possibly have been a surprise to the developers.

Secondly a lot of personality was taken from the game, especially in the way of characters. Character names are no longer seen online. They don't get introduced at the start of a session. You can't create an attitude for them anymore either. The animations look stiff to me. They also have a lot of bugs.

Now onto gameplay. RB3 doesn't have any real objective or direction like the previous titles did. World Tour is gone so now the 2 main modes are quickplay or challenges. The challenges were the worst, least played part of RB2 yet they decided to run with them. They tried to put a new face on the challenges by giving them a tourlike roadmap and instituting a spade system for doing well at each 'mission' but the whole thing is only 10 sections long. Also, you will find yourself sacrificing high scores in order to successfully complete a lot of them. This should have been a side gig next to World Tour, it feels like a lazy replacement. Competitive modes have been abolished. And for what reason? I have no idea. I think a lot of people were expecting an improvement in score duel, like normal note highways, but they completely got rid of it. At some point a meeting took place where they all decided it was a good idea to remove this classic feature. I'm still scratching my head.

No fail can now be used throughout the game to finish songs, unlock achievements and post scores to the leaderboards. No fail is certainly great for parties and fine if you want to play through a song that you know you can't pass but that's where it should end. Rock Band 1 was the most successful of the series and there was plenty of failing. Everyone thinks they want something for nothing but when they get it, the perceived value is low. Trying to beat a song is a powerful motivator to play more often. Killing incentive is not the answer to lagging sales.

The music video modes are blinding. They come up often. Granted they may not affect everyone negatively but there are an awful lot of people complaining. There should be an option to avoid them and it's hard to believe this didn't occur to anyone during playtesting.

The Endless Setlist. I don't know why they bothered to include it without World Tour. The point of World Tour was to unlock the Endless Setlist, get your icon and acheive "Immortal Status." But now you can play through the ESL right from Quickplay without unlocking it. You will not get an icon when you're done. Makes sense, I guess since you can play with no fail on and literally not have to do anything except for hit "next song."

The setlist. A lot of people are going to say that's a subjective point. There are definitely a handful of incredible songs in this game. The rest? Let's just say that finding a 83 songs with good parts on guitar, bass, drums, vocals AND keyboards must have been an extremely difficult task and it shows. Better luck next time.

That brings me to the keyboard. I'm mixed on this. A new instrument is fun. On the other hand, it's not so fun when you have a massive amount of DLC and only 80 songs have a part for you to play. On top of that, keyboard parts tend to have lots of dead space. They're often used as accents to songs. The Doors DLC is very good for keyboards, we'll see what else comes down the pipeline. Online play is a mess. People no longer take turns choosing one song, instead you are forced to create a setlist in which everyone present can add as many selections as they want. You can also hit the back button to delete other players selections and they can do the same to you. When someone drops out in the middle of a song, the note highway moves to reflect the change. This is a very bad thing when you're on drums and even if you're not, it'll probably cause you to mess up a little bit. Also, the only note highway allowed in the middle is the drummer now. It was better before when no matter what you were playing your track would always be in the middle from your perspective. I can't judge the pro guitar, I don't have it. Hopefully it will turn out to be a useful learning tool for people who do buy it.

1. As a standalone game it's the best music game available, even though it arguably has the weaker soundtrack compared to Rock Band and Rock Band 2. But it feels a little hollow as a standalone game; it needs you to build a massive library to fully exploit it. [January 2011 p76]
  2. Jan 13, 2011
    Rock Band 3 have an amazing track list, an exciting new support for instruments and many challenges and rewards that will keep us busy for months. This is the best iteration in any musical saga to date. A must-have.
  3. Jan 12, 2011
    If Rock Band is an every-Friday-night thing for you, then grabbing Rock Band 3 would be a good call as the evolution the fanchise has made will be much appreciated by fans. If not, then you might want to pass.