Rock Band 3 PlayStation 3

7.9

1. Apr 8, 2011
    coming off of RB2 which i think is the best music game out there. im pretty dissapointed in RB3 . first off the new songs suck . so many crappy indie songs from bands 99.999999999999% of people never heard of or would want to after you listen to there crapy emo songs . there music should stay in the bathroom stall they preform at out there in bumfuk no where . the idea of playing realcoming off of RB2 which i think is the best music game out there. im pretty dissapointed in RB3 . first off the new songs suck . so many crappy indie songs from bands 99.999999999999% of people never heard of or would want to after you listen to there crapy emo songs . there music should stay in the bathroom stall they preform at out there in bumfuk no where . the idea of playing real instruments and being able to learn them is pretty cool but the price to do so is not for me. $300 for a guitar i shall pass thank you. the new career mode is confusing and is just a moronic set up .theese music games have just gottin way to over saturated in the market . i was really hoping RB3 was gona kick it up a notch and id say yes it did if you have the money to burn to buy the instruments and wana learn how to play them if not pass and stick with RB2 like others have said. im glad i waited for the price drop to $20 . Expand
  2. Oct 26, 2010
    Rock Band 3 is without a doubt the worst in the series. There is absolutely no challenge (except for the "pro" mode, which I'll get to in a bit). The song selection suffers the same fate as Guitar Hero World Tour: It's too spread out to accommodate the new instruments. No song in particular stands out, they all just blend into one boring setlist. Unlike Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock, RB3Rock Band 3 is without a doubt the worst in the series. There is absolutely no challenge (except for the "pro" mode, which I'll get to in a bit). The song selection suffers the same fate as Guitar Hero World Tour: It's too spread out to accommodate the new instruments. No song in particular stands out, they all just blend into one boring setlist. Unlike Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock, RB3 is entirely mundane. There's no epic finale, no setpieces that stand out. There just seems to be no emotion in the game. That's the best way to describe it.

The one addition to Rock Band 3 that does work well is the keyboard. It is fun to use, and the additions such as Bohemian Rhapsody work much better on it. As a piano player myself, it was fun to jump right into pro mode and already know how to play it. However, the steep $80 entry price will discourage most players, and I've found after playing with my friends that it's even less popular to use than the bass.

Speaking of playing with friends, I've found the guitar hero series, especially in recent years, to be much better at this. You STILL can't play with any combination of instruments, forcing the odd man out to play an instrument they don't want to instead of fun sessions in GHWOR with 4 people on guitar. Now on to the pro mode. While it worked alright when I played it in the store (they brought out some of the other pro instruments at best buy for people to try), buying all of them will set you back more than $300. Want the "real" pro guitar? Prepare to pay at least $300 for that alone. They haven't announced the price yet, but that's the most valid guess based on retailer slips and other rumors.

Wondering why this game gets a 90 metascore? Because the reviewers didn't have to pay for the instruments. I guarantee that very few people are going to pay that much money just to get the full experience out of ONE game. And they don't even work in any other mode!

TL:DR version: Rock Band 3 is the most disappointing in the series. Other than the one shining addition of the keyboard, it's a bland and uninspired sequel that requires a huge investment to get any more enjoyment out of. My advice? Stick with Rock Band 2. The DLC is backwards compatible, and you're better off saving your money for the dozens of other better games coming out soon.
  3. Dec 25, 2010
    This game dissapointed me. Sure they added a nice new pro mode giving a much more realistic playing experience, but I found a lot of the songs dull and the venues bland. There wasn't much variety in the songs and a lot of them were older songs which just doesn't cut it in todays modern soceity. Sure some of the old songs were great like Rock Lobster but some of them like Jimmy Was A RaceThis game dissapointed me. Sure they added a nice new pro mode giving a much more realistic playing experience, but I found a lot of the songs dull and the venues bland. There wasn't much variety in the songs and a lot of them were older songs which just doesn't cut it in todays modern soceity. Sure some of the old songs were great like Rock Lobster but some of them like Jimmy Was A Race Car Driver just didn't seem to make any sense in being there. The piano is a cool addition but the amount of songs compared to the amount there wasn't that great with only around 63 (I think) actual songs including piano so playing with friends wasn't that exciting when one person would get left out. A lot of the close ups of players are glitchy with the microphone glitching about and the guitar wobbling weirdly. I'm not saying it is a bad game but I would much rather play Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock. Expand

1. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Jan 25, 2011
    As a standalone game it's the best music game available, even though it arguably has the weaker soundtrack compared to Rock Band and Rock Band 2. But it feels a little hollow as a standalone game; it needs you to build a massive library to fully exploit it. [January 2011 p76]
  2. Jan 13, 2011
    Rock Band 3 have an amazing track list, an exciting new support for instruments and many challenges and rewards that will keep us busy for months. This is the best iteration in any musical saga to date. A must-have.
  3. Jan 12, 2011
    If Rock Band is an every-Friday-night thing for you, then grabbing Rock Band 3 would be a good call as the evolution the fanchise has made will be much appreciated by fans. If not, then you might want to pass.