8.0

1. May 15, 2016
    A much improved version of the previous two games in the series! Rock Band 3 is exploding with life! All 83 songs are unlocked right out of the case! New keyboard instrument, Pro Mode is now extended to Keys, Guitar, Bass AND Vocals! This game is great for gamers and musicians alike, and even if you can't play an instrument, the game will teach you!

The playlist is VERY varied, from the

The playlist is VERY varied, from the 70s to the 10s with everything in-between! Training mode and freestyle have even had a polish. This is the best game in the series! Not to mention the 2,000+ DLC tracks available too!
  2. Jun 26, 2015
    I will easily say that this is my favorite Rock Band game. One of the main reasons is that you can have a lot of fun with the basic and PRO-instruments, you can even learn so much on PRO mode that you can go over to a real instrument!

The career mode was awesome, i think it was better than Rock Band 1 and 2 in my opinion, because it was a new challenge to earn gold medal on every chapter, and that will give you new clothes and instruments. It was really fun for me!

Rock Band 3 have many great songs, and it was not too many songs of the same genre, like too much alternative music on RB2. You have a huge DLC list too if you need even more nice music.

The only thing that i don't like, is the HOPO-system. Guitar Hero 3 has the best HOPO-system, because there is no late responses or just missing a note with no reasons. You can experience that sometimes on RB3, but it's not extremely bad, just a little bit frustrating when playing on expert.

But i can easily say that Rock Band 3 is a must buy!
  3. Jan 31, 2015
    This is the definitive entry in the music game genre. For those with the normal instruments, it is an excellent addition to the previous GH/RB games and the new keyboard is an excellent fit. On top of that, it offers Pro controller gameplay (effectively real instruments).
  4. Sep 30, 2014
    The best rhythm game ever created. Prior to playing this I was very much on the side of Guitar Hero in the ongoing war between Guitar Hero and Rock Band, but after playing this my opinion completely swayed. The variety in genres of music this game covers is amazing. A much more diverse and open experience than Guitar Hero.
  5. Jun 26, 2012
    Rock Band 3 may not be a huge improvement over Rock Band 2, but it's still a great game with an almost flawless presentation. Just like in the predecessor, all the songs from the previous Rock Band can be carried over. The actual tracks that come with the disc are great, but I think the previous two games had an all-around better track list. The lack of Band World Tour is a downer, but itRock Band 3 may not be a huge improvement over Rock Band 2, but it's still a great game with an almost flawless presentation. Just like in the predecessor, all the songs from the previous Rock Band can be carried over. The actual tracks that come with the disc are great, but I think the previous two games had an all-around better track list. The lack of Band World Tour is a downer, but it was replaced with an in-depth challenge list in which you can tackle solo or online with friends. If you're a fan of music-based video games, then it should be a no brainer to pick this one up. The community is still active and the music library grows larger every week. Expand
  6. Feb 20, 2012
    Great game, I love it, has a ton of great songs and an awesome game to play with friends at a party or friends over Playstation Network, also a variety of downloadable song genres, even rap and pop music.
  7. Nov 15, 2011
    Undoubtedly the best music game to date.
    The only thing bad that could have improved the graphics a bit, which are a little outdated ...
    The online is a bit bad I invitation.
    And although it is a sad port to xbox360 ... to me a lot is flawed.
  8. Apr 8, 2011
    coming off of RB2 which i think is the best music game out there. im pretty dissapointed in RB3 . first off the new songs suck . so many crappy indie songs from bands 99.999999999999% of people never heard of or would want to after you listen to there crapy emo songs . there music should stay in the bathroom stall they preform at out there in bumfuk no where . the idea of playing realcoming off of RB2 which i think is the best music game out there. im pretty dissapointed in RB3 . first off the new songs suck . so many crappy indie songs from bands 99.999999999999% of people never heard of or would want to after you listen to there crapy emo songs . there music should stay in the bathroom stall they preform at out there in bumfuk no where . the idea of playing real instruments and being able to learn them is pretty cool but the price to do so is not for me. $300 for a guitar i shall pass thank you. the new career mode is confusing and is just a moronic set up .theese music games have just gottin way to over saturated in the market . i was really hoping RB3 was gona kick it up a notch and id say yes it did if you have the money to burn to buy the instruments and wana learn how to play them if not pass and stick with RB2 like others have said. im glad i waited for the price drop to $20 . Expand
  9. Jan 30, 2011
    This has got to be one of the best party (music) games I've played in terms of fun factor. There's a great selection of songs from almost every genre and tons of DLC. The keyboard and Pro-mode gives it greater value.
  10. Jan 17, 2011
    Having a keyboard peripheral makes you feel like a professional pianist mostly thanks to Pro Mode. And having it to pay both guitar and bass is a unique twist. The game let's you use old Rock Band tracks from RBN which is a nice treat for old fans as well as new ones. A must-buy for music lovers.
  11. Dec 25, 2010
    This game dissapointed me. Sure they added a nice new pro mode giving a much more realistic playing experience, but I found a lot of the songs dull and the venues bland. There wasn't much variety in the songs and a lot of them were older songs which just doesn't cut it in todays modern soceity. Sure some of the old songs were great like Rock Lobster but some of them like Jimmy Was A RaceThis game dissapointed me. Sure they added a nice new pro mode giving a much more realistic playing experience, but I found a lot of the songs dull and the venues bland. There wasn't much variety in the songs and a lot of them were older songs which just doesn't cut it in todays modern soceity. Sure some of the old songs were great like Rock Lobster but some of them like Jimmy Was A Race Car Driver just didn't seem to make any sense in being there. The piano is a cool addition but the amount of songs compared to the amount there wasn't that great with only around 63 (I think) actual songs including piano so playing with friends wasn't that exciting when one person would get left out. A lot of the close ups of players are glitchy with the microphone glitching about and the guitar wobbling weirdly. I'm not saying it is a bad game but I would much rather play Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock. Expand
  12. Nov 26, 2010
    Excellent - but it really does seem to have become individual-focussed (is there even a single trophy for online play?), and the things they've had to do to the setlist to accomodate keyboards are not for the better. Also disappointing they haven't really put in any challenges beyond "play songs as well as possible and score points", as challenges can be a fun thing to aim for to spice upExcellent - but it really does seem to have become individual-focussed (is there even a single trophy for online play?), and the things they've had to do to the setlist to accomodate keyboards are not for the better. Also disappointing they haven't really put in any challenges beyond "play songs as well as possible and score points", as challenges can be a fun thing to aim for to spice up a song that isn't otherwise interesting to play. They seem to have really banked on pro mode and keyboard to sell this one, but neglected the core gameplay to do so. Expand
  13. Nov 26, 2010
    My first RB game, i only bought for ther pro mode. keyboards fun but waiting on the pro guitars to be available... still a month latrer and no sign.

poor.
  14. Nov 25, 2010
    Great game for a first timer to the music genre, or someone upgrading from 1 or 2. This has more songs than the others, support for new instruments, and a re-designed career type mode. This would be a great addition to anyone's collection.
  15. Nov 17, 2010
    I played this game a lot for weeks before writing this review, I'm an old fan of music games and as hardcore as it gets. I own many instruments (real too) and I can play everything on expert, I have more than 1k invested in DLC songs too. I'll start by saying that this is the best music game ever. Why is it an 8 and not a 10?

Pro: - The overshell that let you have access to your menu all

Pro:
    - The overshell that let you have access to your menu all the time is excellent and it makes it very easy and fast to change players on-the-fly
    - Playing in a band has a new dimension because not only you have to play well to get high scores (stars) but you need to play with the band to get band objectives done (spades)
    - Road challenges are awesome and way better than the previous career. The only problem here is that the main story of the career is a little bit short. You can always pick among 3 choices of setlist for each challenge.
    - Goals are endless in this game. It's like having hundreds of trophy-like challenges in a game. DLC also has extra goals.
    - Setlist is amazing, with many less known bands there's always some treasures to be discovered.
    - More international songs from non-English speaking countries
    - Random setlists work much better now. The songs change a lot and the songs that you like will play more often
    - Song ratings
    - On-the-fly join game and leave game, change preferences, change difficulty
    - No Fail mode can be used all the time. You don't ever need to fail again. If you need a challenge, you can disable that or you can try to get gold stars.
    - Pro instruments are excellent to play, now what I learn in the game I'm transferring to real life instruments much easier than before.

Cons:
    - Harmonix has the worst customer support of any company that I know. Their communication style is pretty much ignore any criticism and not acknowledge any bugs or problems. They just say that they're working to fix problems (again, they don't say which ones) but almost nothing ever gets fixed. When it eventually it is fixed it takes many months and the fix is irrelevant, a half-assed effort, and obviously a really easy fix.
    - Even though it's better than RB2, PS3 support as always is very weak missing important features like multiple account linking. PS also doesn't have proper support for Rock Band Network, a network of mostly indie bands that produce their own RB tracks. All pro instruments are being released later for PS3 too.
    - It's very buggy, it will crash often and the random loud noise bug can damage your speakers if you play loud. There are so many bugs that after 2 weeks playing I still find a new bug every day. It's still playable though if you don't mind rebooting your PS3 every now and then.
    - All Instrument Mode: If you want to play with keys, guitar and bass at the same time you need to play with AIM. In AIM the vocals are not scored and are locked in easy difficulty, If vocals are not scored I might as well have someone singing in an external sound system, the effect is the same: both are disconnected from the game.
    - You have to pay extra for pro guitar charts
    - You have to buy again tracks if you want to add pro keys and harmonies (for old songs updated). And the new songs that you get are not compatible with the old ones. Apart from that you get the same song twice in your library.
    - There's no way to delete a single song from packages: if you don't like a single song from RB2 you need to delete all RB2 package - Pro Guitar doesn't work properly online with DLC songs. If other people don't have pro guitar DLC, they won't see you playing at all.
    - Some people complain that there's no competitive mode, I don't care because I never used that before.

Conclusion: My rating for Rock Band 3 Beta goes up to 11! Unfortunately it still lacks a lot to be considered a stable product. I recommend that if you like music games and don't mind bugs you should buy it. If you set your expectations right this is the best music game ever.
  16. Nov 17, 2010
    really cool I would say this is the best in the series ,really makes the old feel new,with great tracks and excellent sound quality ,play it through a goos speaker system for an unforgettable expierence that your friends will envy you for.
  17. Nov 13, 2010
    Pure music game perfection. The track listing is a varied affair which offers something for everybody. The standard 5 coloured fret is here in all its eye-strain-inducing glory. For those of us who have been playing this genre since the start, we now have something new to challenge us, The Pro-Mode! This is for all of us longing to play an instrument without the effort of reading sheetPure music game perfection. The track listing is a varied affair which offers something for everybody. The standard 5 coloured fret is here in all its eye-strain-inducing glory. For those of us who have been playing this genre since the start, we now have something new to challenge us, The Pro-Mode! This is for all of us longing to play an instrument without the effort of reading sheet music. It works effortlessly. With 80+ songs on disc and over 1400 online this is the definitive music game, period. Expand
  18. Nov 9, 2010
    I wanted to like this game but it doesn't even seem like it was made by the same people who developed RB1 and 2 and that's a huge disappointment. First of all, this game crashes a lot, not just for me but for quite possibly the majority of people. I play online a lot and I haven't run into anyone who hasn't crashed yet. There are two kinds of crashes. One is at a particular loading sceneI wanted to like this game but it doesn't even seem like it was made by the same people who developed RB1 and 2 and that's a huge disappointment. First of all, this game crashes a lot, not just for me but for quite possibly the majority of people. I play online a lot and I haven't run into anyone who hasn't crashed yet. There are two kinds of crashes. One is at a particular loading scene with roadies pushing crates. It will completely lock up your system and you'll be forced to power down. The other is the game closing itself randomly. One second you're navigating or playing and the next you're looking at your dashboard. I don't know if there are any plans to fix these bugs but I don't understand how the game was released in this state. This couldn't possibly have been a surprise to the developers.

Secondly a lot of personality was taken from the game, especially in the way of characters. Character names are no longer seen online. They don't get introduced at the start of a session. You can't create an attitude for them anymore either. The animations look stiff to me. They also have a lot of bugs.

Now onto gameplay. RB3 doesn't have any real objective or direction like the previous titles did. World Tour is gone so now the 2 main modes are quickplay or challenges. The challenges were the worst, least played part of RB2 yet they decided to run with them. They tried to put a new face on the challenges by giving them a tourlike roadmap and instituting a spade system for doing well at each 'mission' but the whole thing is only 10 sections long. Also, you will find yourself sacrificing high scores in order to successfully complete a lot of them. This should have been a side gig next to World Tour, it feels like a lazy replacement. Competitive modes have been abolished. And for what reason? I have no idea. I think a lot of people were expecting an improvement in score duel, like normal note highways, but they completely got rid of it. At some point a meeting took place where they all decided it was a good idea to remove this classic feature. I'm still scratching my head.

No fail can now be used throughout the game to finish songs, unlock achievements and post scores to the leaderboards. No fail is certainly great for parties and fine if you want to play through a song that you know you can't pass but that's where it should end. Rock Band 1 was the most successful of the series and there was plenty of failing. Everyone thinks they want something for nothing but when they get it, the perceived value is low. Trying to beat a song is a powerful motivator to play more often. Killing incentive is not the answer to lagging sales.

The music video modes are blinding. They come up often. Granted they may not affect everyone negatively but there are an awful lot of people complaining. There should be an option to avoid them and it's hard to believe this didn't occur to anyone during playtesting.

The Endless Setlist. I don't know why they bothered to include it without World Tour. The point of World Tour was to unlock the Endless Setlist, get your icon and acheive "Immortal Status." But now you can play through the ESL right from Quickplay without unlocking it. You will not get an icon when you're done. Makes sense, I guess since you can play with no fail on and literally not have to do anything except for hit "next song."

The setlist. A lot of people are going to say that's a subjective point. There are definitely a handful of incredible songs in this game. The rest? Let's just say that finding a 83 songs with good parts on guitar, bass, drums, vocals AND keyboards must have been an extremely difficult task and it shows. Better luck next time.

That brings me to the keyboard. I'm mixed on this. A new instrument is fun. On the other hand, it's not so fun when you have a massive amount of DLC and only 80 songs have a part for you to play. On top of that, keyboard parts tend to have lots of dead space. They're often used as accents to songs. The Doors DLC is very good for keyboards, we'll see what else comes down the pipeline. Online play is a mess. People no longer take turns choosing one song, instead you are forced to create a setlist in which everyone present can add as many selections as they want. You can also hit the back button to delete other players selections and they can do the same to you. When someone drops out in the middle of a song, the note highway moves to reflect the change. This is a very bad thing when you're on drums and even if you're not, it'll probably cause you to mess up a little bit. Also, the only note highway allowed in the middle is the drummer now. It was better before when no matter what you were playing your track would always be in the middle from your perspective. I can't judge the pro guitar, I don't have it. Hopefully it will turn out to be a useful learning tool for people who do buy it.
  19. Nov 4, 2010
    Look..ok everyone is entitled to their opinion...some on here say this is rubbish some say is mediocre..so heres mine..THIS GAME ROCKS!!...the structure and layout of the game is just awesome, it is without a doubt the best of the series...ok some of the multiplayer elements of the last two games are not there but the emphasis here is BAND PLAY..get a band together online or off..and go onLook..ok everyone is entitled to their opinion...some on here say this is rubbish some say is mediocre..so heres mine..THIS GAME ROCKS!!...the structure and layout of the game is just awesome, it is without a doubt the best of the series...ok some of the multiplayer elements of the last two games are not there but the emphasis here is BAND PLAY..get a band together online or off..and go on the career AS A BAND..you can do this single player as well obviously. I think the setlist is just brilliant with songs from all decades form the 60's to modern day and you have the option of importing most of your previous songs from RB1 and RB2.you have tons of new options ..like switching difficulty on the fly ..changing instruments..it just goes on .what more do you want?..i cant praise this game enough...if you liked RB1 or 2 then this is must buy..get some friends or family round get the beers in and go on a great musical journey. BUY IT!! Expand
  20. Nov 2, 2010
    As a loyal fan of the series, Rock Band 3 is a major disappointment. The setlist is dull, thanks to the need for keyboard-friendly songs. The online features have been scaled back so much, it's shocking. All of the Player vs. Player battles are gone. In fact, they seem to have lost sight of the "band" concept in favor of the individual. The career mode is boring. It doesn't require you toAs a loyal fan of the series, Rock Band 3 is a major disappointment. The setlist is dull, thanks to the need for keyboard-friendly songs. The online features have been scaled back so much, it's shocking. All of the Player vs. Player battles are gone. In fact, they seem to have lost sight of the "band" concept in favor of the individual. The career mode is boring. It doesn't require you to take any risk or play at any advanced difficulty. Much of the venues seem recycled. The only real improvement is Pro mode - particularly if you are a drummer, as all new, exported, and downloaded tracks support Pro drums immediately and at no charge! However, this game lacks any semblance of soul. If you don't have any desire to go Pro - stick with RB2. Expand
  21. Oct 31, 2010
    There isn't much terribly new to the series with this iteration, but the game itself is tighter, more streamlined, more responsive and easier to pick up and features some very good tunes. The only thing that bugs me is the expense! Oh my god, after paying for all of the instruments you can expect to eat rice and beans for a month. But at least you will have a fun game to play. Overall I'dThere isn't much terribly new to the series with this iteration, but the game itself is tighter, more streamlined, more responsive and easier to pick up and features some very good tunes. The only thing that bugs me is the expense! Oh my god, after paying for all of the instruments you can expect to eat rice and beans for a month. But at least you will have a fun game to play. Overall I'd say that the game gets a 9 from a fan of the series, but it might be a bit lower for you if you aren't into the RB games like I am. Expand
  22. Oct 30, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The thing that I mast like about the game is the music these are really good music to rock too with friends are on your own the tricks listed below are a few of them.All tracks are original master recordings should I point out.
    Rock Band 3 tracks: * Marilyn Manson â
  23. Oct 29, 2010
    For fans of the series, Rock Band 3 is a great buy if you're looking for nothing more than an extension of the music genre. The hugely improved interface makes jumping in and playing much easier, the track list is varied and consistently strong musically, and the construction of the note charts is well done for the most part. The challenge level is somewhere in between RB1 and RB2, whichFor fans of the series, Rock Band 3 is a great buy if you're looking for nothing more than an extension of the music genre. The hugely improved interface makes jumping in and playing much easier, the track list is varied and consistently strong musically, and the construction of the note charts is well done for the most part. The challenge level is somewhere in between RB1 and RB2, which may turn off better players, but most players will find it to be appropriate. Casual players will appreciate how easy it is to change settings on the fly and tailor the game to their liking with minimal disruption to the gameplay. There are a few added game modes which add an interesting wrinkles to the previous formula as well.

The game also offers a lot that I have not yet seen - particularly the Pro mode, which is an amazing concept in theory, but is prohibitively expensive. If you want a completely new experience, be prepared to shell out a ridiculous sum of money. Because of this, most people will view this primarily as an addition to Rock Band, rather than a total stand-alone product. And for some users, the formula may be starting to grow a little stale. But for most of us, the presentation and the set list will be enough to make this a satisfying title.
  24. Oct 27, 2010
    I've just bought the game yesterday, and was amazed by the possibilities offered from this game. I'm a heavy music based VG user. I bought most of the GH franchise and RB franchise and I can testify this ROCK BAND 3 is simply the final countdown to music simulation. In terms of music content, Rock Band has a very strong tracklist with massive tracks from all period of time and wouldI've just bought the game yesterday, and was amazed by the possibilities offered from this game. I'm a heavy music based VG user. I bought most of the GH franchise and RB franchise and I can testify this ROCK BAND 3 is simply the final countdown to music simulation. In terms of music content, Rock Band has a very strong tracklist with massive tracks from all period of time and would satisfy any rock fans. (From I love rock n roll, smoke on the water, bohemian rhapsody, break on through to Just like heaven walk of life and many many more). Taking into account more thant 2000 tracks are available, RB buries competitors away, giving you the chance to localize the game upon your music tastes. You can also transfer your previous RB games library so it's pretty fair from HARMONIX supplying this function even though competitors do so;

In terms of graphic environment, difficult to say since personal tastes may vary. As a drummer in a real band, I'm amazed by accurate references to the indie real world of amateur musicians. Quite immersive. In terms of music teaching method, well we can only trust Harmonix since pro guitars are not available yet. It seems they made it, allowing you to learn these classical rock tracks on a real guitar. As a drummer, I can say I would have loved to have this game when learning drums, working accuracy, tempo, and rock rhythms in a funny way. I guess it's the same with guitars and keys so, thanks for that.

About tech specs,
    I'm a drummer for real and this time I can plug my Roland V Drums to play the game, only buying a MIDI converter. With this converter and the fender mustang, I will be able to play guitar in my home studio in MIDI or for real if I go with the fender SQUIER. I can also plug my midi keyboards. That's really amazing and even though is not of mass concerns is the absolute effort HARMONIX should have a reward for. When competitors fill shelves with same games with different tracklists, HARMONIX tends to offer a full compatibility between VG and music worlds. About the price, this is the only negative point. For a full experience, I need to buy the drums, the two guitars, the keys, the midi converter and the game. That leads to a final 1000 USD invoice, which makes ROCK BAND maybe the most expensive game in the world, even compared to WOW subscription model (it would stand for at least 7 years subscription), not taking into account DLC's. SUM UP : More than 2000 tracks available, the fun of casual game, the ability to learn instruments for real, full customization of music, this is the perfect game ever made for sure. Even though perfection has a price...
  25. Oct 26, 2010
    Rock Band 3 is without a doubt the worst in the series. There is absolutely no challenge (except for the "pro" mode, which I'll get to in a bit). The song selection suffers the same fate as Guitar Hero World Tour: It's too spread out to accommodate the new instruments. No song in particular stands out, they all just blend into one boring setlist. Unlike Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock, RB3Rock Band 3 is without a doubt the worst in the series. There is absolutely no challenge (except for the "pro" mode, which I'll get to in a bit). The song selection suffers the same fate as Guitar Hero World Tour: It's too spread out to accommodate the new instruments. No song in particular stands out, they all just blend into one boring setlist. Unlike Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock, RB3 is entirely mundane. There's no epic finale, no setpieces that stand out. There just seems to be no emotion in the game. That's the best way to describe it.

The one addition to Rock Band 3 that does work well is the keyboard. It is fun to use, and the additions such as Bohemian Rhapsody work much better on it. As a piano player myself, it was fun to jump right into pro mode and already know how to play it. However, the steep $80 entry price will discourage most players, and I've found after playing with my friends that it's even less popular to use than the bass.

Speaking of playing with friends, I've found the guitar hero series, especially in recent years, to be much better at this. You STILL can't play with any combination of instruments, forcing the odd man out to play an instrument they don't want to instead of fun sessions in GHWOR with 4 people on guitar. Now on to the pro mode. While it worked alright when I played it in the store (they brought out some of the other pro instruments at best buy for people to try), buying all of them will set you back more than $300. Want the "real" pro guitar? Prepare to pay at least $300 for that alone. They haven't announced the price yet, but that's the most valid guess based on retailer slips and other rumors.

Wondering why this game gets a 90 metascore? Because the reviewers didn't have to pay for the instruments. I guarantee that very few people are going to pay that much money just to get the full experience out of ONE game. And they don't even work in any other mode!

TL:DR version: Rock Band 3 is the most disappointing in the series. Other than the one shining addition of the keyboard, it's a bland and uninspired sequel that requires a huge investment to get any more enjoyment out of. My advice? Stick with Rock Band 2. The DLC is backwards compatible, and you're better off saving your money for the dozens of other better games coming out soon.
  26. Oct 26, 2010

1. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Jan 25, 2011
    As a standalone game it's the best music game available, even though it arguably has the weaker soundtrack compared to Rock Band and Rock Band 2. But it feels a little hollow as a standalone game; it needs you to build a massive library to fully exploit it. [January 2011 p76]
  2. Jan 13, 2011
    Rock Band 3 have an amazing track list, an exciting new support for instruments and many challenges and rewards that will keep us busy for months. This is the best iteration in any musical saga to date. A must-have.
  3. Jan 12, 2011
    If Rock Band is an every-Friday-night thing for you, then grabbing Rock Band 3 would be a good call as the evolution the fanchise has made will be much appreciated by fans. If not, then you might want to pass.