8.2

1. Oct 23, 2013
    I am probably a near perfect example of a totally new beginner who never had the discipline, drive, and patience to learn guitar via traditional means.
    Though I had purchased the original Rocksmith years ago, I made the mistake of purchasing the cheapest brand name guitar I could find on Amazon, the Squier Fender Bullet Strat ($99), which upon unpackaging had the strings touching the
    fretboard. I still don't know if this was due to shipping or the product itself... I was going to get it fixed at the music store a couple towns over, but never got around to it (I'm also a good example of procrastination).

This time around I decided to do some more research before purchasing the guitar, but it seems the one that comes in the bundle is the best (or at least one of the best) for the price currently (Epiphone Les Paul Jr.). I had to dig around for my old PS3 component cable, found it, left the video on HDMI and simply plugged the audio portion from the component cable directly into my stereo. Tuning was a snap, and though during the very first lesson it felt awkward, I could tell I had made real progress by the very next day. They say you can learn in 60 days, and right now I'm a believer. I started before their online site was up (it's still in beta), but today it appears like a very good second screen tool to check your progress.

Basically Rocksmith does for learning guitar what Mavis Beacon does for learning how to type. It makes the learning process fun, changes it up so it doesn't get too monotonous, allows you freedom to learn what you want when you want to, provides immediate feedback and rewards.

I'm not an expert yet, but the thing is I'm having enough fun for this to be a daily habit. It's a console video game that teaches you a skill, and makes learning that skill fun enough to keep up with it over time. I hope this coming generation sees Rocksmith continue to refine this process with their xB1 and PS4 offerings, while adding piano, drums, and vocals.

Who knows, maybe even Khan Academy and Rosetta Stone could have their own console versions. I remember "educational" games on the Magnavox Odyssey 2 back in the day. They were not fun. But the times and technologies have changed enough that I believe learning certain skills (especially musical ones) can be easy and entertaining at the same time.

But back to Rocksmith 2014. I can't find a fault in it, and maybe that's because I'm a beginner, but the thing is, it makes me want to keep that guitar in my hands every day and keep on learning new songs/techniques, so it is perfect for me.
  2. Nov 6, 2013
    After learning how to play guitar successfully with the first Rocksmith I couldn't but buy this one, not only because I wanted to support Ubisoft for finally delivering a good game/program which truly teaches guitar, but also because I thought it would be fun to learn some new songs.

Surprisingly, there are many improvements with this one. Loading times are almost non-existent, the menu
    is quicker and more intuitive, the lessons are much more numerous and you can learn a lot more than you did with the first game. The songs offered with the game are more diversified and although we still get too much indy rock and not enough blues, we still get the feeling the guys who chose the tracks had the mission to improve their catalogue.

They got rid of the crowd/venues which made the game lag. They took the Guitarcade games and remade them so that they would be more fun and less frustrating. Good job!

With the first Rocksmith, they figured out that nobody cared about the number of guitars you could unlock, and they reinvented their sound forge. They added a nice mode, called "session mode" which simply lets you improvise whatever you want, accompanied by an interactive band. Just the fact that you can play guitar and hear yourself wherever you may be on the menu is an improvement to me.

They even took the time to modify and augment the precision of past songs. For example, Breaking the Law by Judas Priest didn't have slides during their chorus in the first Rocksmith. They corrected it in Rocksmith 2014 and you can now play the real song exactly like the real band played it.

One thing, however, that I really don't appreciate, is the fact that they charge around 10 bucks to transport your first Rocksmith songs to the new Rocksmith. I'm not talking about the DLC you might have bought those automatically end up in your new repertory. No, I'm talking about the 50-ish songs you already bought when you bought the first Rocksmith. You already paid for those songs and they want to charge you for simply transferring them to their new game? That's rubbish and that's why they don't get 10/10. Other games such as Littlebigplanet 2 let you import your Littlebigplanet 1 content at no additional cost.

What should come next? Online multiplaye and a recording studio. Online multiplayer would be a great addition, as long as lag isn't involved. It's hard to come upon fellow guitarists in real life unless you already have friends who are musicians, but if you have access to other Rocksmithers all around the world, it would be so fun to jam together, whether it be death metal with a Norwegian or blues with an American. Secondly, a recording studio should be the next big step for Rocksmith... Give us the power to record songs, turn them into mp3s or something and upload them on servers hosted by Ubisoft so that others can listen to us and rate us!
  3. Nov 2, 2013
    So the main question is: Is Rocksmith 2014 better that the first release and would really benefit us, we medium and advanced levels alike to improve in playing our guitars? Certainly ,in some ways BUT [and I have to make emphasis on this], you have to know that come with some news flaws too. In fact there are: The good ,the bad and the ugly stuff in Rocksmith 2014.
    Let me list the pros
    and cons that I found and then, I will try to explain them the best I can. Pros: - Audio delay latency have greatly decreased. - Loading times have greatly decreased too. - No more constantly tuning like every time you practice a riff, just once for the type of tuning required for a specific song. - Much more playing techniques. - You can choose and adjust difficult level and speed right on the beginning without restrictions. - You can choose a segment of the song and ad more right next to it at your own convenience. - You have a level of error tolerance when practicing that can be adjust from 3 levels. - Unlimited times for practicing a section of a song. - You can jam with a virtual band that plays accordingly [or just try to] to the way you play scales and you can even set tempo.[feature is on the con side too, read next] - You can export songs and dlc from the first Rocksmith, but only for your respective port, have to mention. And like in all hero movies, here comes the bad and the ugly thugs. Cons: - Absolutely beginners and newcomers are completely left aside. Just remembering first release, Ubisoft was trying to take them into consideration. Only medium/advanced levels are really taken into account. Bye, bye little puppies.:( - No more replay of your effort after playing a complete song (really angry). - Mini games are horrible ,stupid, a waste of time and contrary of Rocksmith mini games; completely useless to improve your techniques. - No more scores after playing a complete song, only percents. - List of song are less interesting that first Rocksmith and this feels more pronounced if, like me you had a considerable amount of dlc in the previous one. - Your virtual band sounds pretty bad in general and after a few times of playing, you loss completely interest in it. Good idea, poor execution. Would be a better idea if it can be managed via through samples, not dumbly trying to follow you trough; scales? This mechanics limit you somehow too, what about playing a solo? Meanwhile fun of it lasts as much as chewing bubble gum. - Albums size previews decreased at a complete overlooking size. - More and most advanced guitar playing techniques means longer and more frustrating stepping curve. - After the end of practicing every section/s of a song, comes a horrible and annoying rewind effect. This is one of the things I hate most of this RS14. -After dominating a section of a song and getting a very discrete: You nailed it! message; your riff repeater keeps going, and going, and going, and... until you pause the game and select exit. Add this to the rewind effect and got a double very hating feature. - If you think tuning in Rocksmith wasn't challenging enough like your guitar getting out of tune everyday from E standard to drop D, here, in RS2014 you will face more variety of options. Like tuning E standard A447 that is slightly sharp or slightly flat from E [according to RS14 explanation...whatever!]. Or E 444 or E minor to drop D minor I think and so on. Just thinking about it makes me a little dizzy I'm still learning you now! - Importing stuff from the first Rocksmith like songs or DLC have a fee. -Slowest setting for riff repeater isn't as slowest as was on Rocksmith, that's too bad. Other way would be very helpful in very difficult solos/riffs.(beginners who?) -No more virtual live performing.[or so it looks like] -Delay latency still present, probably you have to do some adjusts like me. -When in the first Rocksmith practicing a riff, if you missed several notes in a round, it automatically detected that, and reset right away from the beginning of that section. This feature was so useful. How many times haven't you missed playing right from the beginning of a riff. Just doing something else or in a moment of distraction. It happens to every musicians including singers up to real pros in real bands and after that everybody stops playing. Needless to say its pretty common and that's the reason of why everybody needs practice. But guess what, this feature is completely removed from this new release and you have to listen all riff until the end no matter if you stopped playing completely. Even your stupid virtual band stops playing after you stopped playing first! (grumbling) So here is my analysis of all pros and cons: The whole experience for me feels quite odd. Is like changing your music teacher after quite sometime, who you feel pretty comfortable. And your new teacher have virtues and defects that couldn't be overlooked just like that. Or getting a new girlfriend after breaking up with a previous one who you used to get well for quite a while. Only to notice that aren't you quite happy as you used to be with the previous one, adding the fact that you was expecting more from her just by recommendation. Perhaps the audio latency decreasing is quite a pro feature in relation of the first Rocksmith, but I'm still not completely sure about the rest in this new release. And before I forgot, beginners and newcomers should stay away from this learning elec guitar method. For example; diversity and grade of difficulty of several techniques have a long stepping curve and could be very daunting for them. Diversity of tuning types can be bothering so. And so on. So I would recommend another more friendly method alternative for their level. I also have to say that first release of Rocksmith was more focused on the beginning type, not quite but maybe a little bit. Even with its merciless no single error of tolerance and the latency noticeable issues. On other topic, one of the things I hate most from this new Rocksmith 2014 are the minigames. In the previous release I was really benefited from games like Dawn of the chordead and Big swim baseball. Dawn of the chordead really help me out improving the way to hold correctly chords. In fact I will keep playing these games until I found them unnecessary for my level. Meanwhile the replacement for the chordead in RS2014, is just a silly way for wasting your time and just an excuse of a mini game, worst that the f2p average found in mobile stores nowadays. And for the rest have nothing better to say, the only that I found not so harmful was Ninja slides or something but I lost so quickly in comparison to Superslider that at the end the result is just the same. I really doubt that I going to check out one of that games ever again. I have to question Ubisoft about this. Was really necessary to develop guitar technique minigames more focused in gameplay that actually learning and improving your guitar skills? Just a dumb move. People who really want to learn and improve don't need that. If we wanted to buy a videogame just for fun, we surely chose Rayman, or COD or something else. And doesn't matter if there are still some dummies that call or were expecting Rocksmith 2014 as a usual game like Rockband, DJ hero, Guitar Hero and all that unworthy stuff with their crap toy complements; this is still: A real guitar learning and improving method only and, we who are serious about learning, only care about that. About the list of features that were completely removed from the first release ,I simply cannot say what I hate to miss the most. From the replay of performing a complete song to the exit from mastering a riff and the relief/achievement sound as a well done signal of success, to the riff resetting after stopping playing in riff repeater or the score after playing a complete song besides the percent achieved. Scoring was somehow motivating because overtime you noticed your own improvement and having a score was like a indirectly way to encourage you to keep going. And not to forget, the absence of live perform option. This is another thing that I hate the most too, well in this new RS14 I can't find it anywhere. Probably is missing. Was cool to have it in Rocksmith. I remember of the first times I was trying it. It was like you were actually performing live. Audience somehow resembled a real living one. Strangely enough I swear that I received a message saying that I earned a new venue in this RS14 but most probably that this is a bogus or anyway could be a greatly downgraded deal in the graphic department, because after trying non stop playing option, I just saw a barely distinguishable shadow supposing to be a crowd, meh. The only thing of the cons that I can overlook are the album minimized previews. I liked to watch albums covers from the older ones like the Rolling Stones to the most recent bands. It's a fact that most cover albums aren't that great but was something cool to have and I miss them somehow. I can even understand the reason why they do that. For decreasing loading times probably, related to the picture size but at the end it's just disappointing. And the other thing I hate most beside the stupid mini games: The rewind effect. Right after the end of a section, in riff repeater, automatically rewinds with sound and visual stuff. Every time I hear that, I'm gonna puke. Don't get at all the intention of it. At first I thought that was having an backmasking intention. For the complete ignorant about the matter backmasking is a way to put subliminal/secret messages in music principally, that can be heard while playing backwards a song. Was very common at the long plays era. Apparently rewinding sound is the same in every section of a song. Don't know if Ubisoft was trying to create a backmasking of their own and what would be the purpose. I can't even tell if this was created accidentally or intentionally. This is one of the main reasons I dislike RS14 in relation of the first one which worked just fine without it. In conclusion Rocksmith 2014 is the most recent method of learning guitar from Ubisoft. It was greatly improved in the audio delay latency issues and greatly reduce the loading times over its predecessor but at the same time there are very annoying flaws like the riff repeater rewind effect, horrible and completely useless minigames and missing features that made the first Rocksmith so great. I would dare to say that in the process of creating this new Rocksmith 2014, they did two steps forward and 2 steps and a half backward. I only recommend it for the enthusiastics who haven't tried the first one yet, who like very brilliant and colored interfaces on screen, like videogames and have some level of guitar experience. And have to say too, that this method isn't the one and the only to take in consideration. Would be better for you if you have the chance to check it out first, and see if it really works for you. But at the end if you are on a medium/advanced level then you learned by other methods, whatever if was the first Rocksmith or other alternative like online courses, the classic tabs and so on. So why are you needing this course in the first place? Only if you really, really into a song or songs that came with it and you are having trouble to play with what seems pretty improbable. Me in particular would have prefer a Rocksmith adon that try to improve the audio delay latency issues and ad the error tolerance option plus a pack of new songs for half the price. That for me, would be the best guitar method ever created. Expand
  4. Oct 23, 2013
    Nearly every aspect of the game has truly been improved this time around. The setlist is better, the loading times are almost nonexistent, Session Mode is sweet if you like to jam and improvise like I do, Lessons are clear and more in depth. But perhaps the most welcome improvement is with the gameplay itself. The 'freeway' or note track is not only more attractive, but also easier to read, with fret indications more clearly marked and highlighted next to each note. Also, no more annoying 3 or more song concerts or qualifying garbage that you were forced to play in the first game, now its just 'Learn a Song' mode. Very refreshing. If you want to learn guitar, already love to play, or want to get back into it, you NEED to experience this game. Expand
  5. Oct 24, 2013
    This game is too awesome. Is a terrific improvement over the first Rocksmith, all the things that are bad in that game are fixed in this one. The fact that you can activate (an improved) Riff Repeater is one of the most helpful things. Te Session mode is a goldmine, perfectly well done. I thought "I'll check it out for five minutes before playing a song to see how it is" I spent 4 hours.
    I know what game is my game of the year
  6. Oct 28, 2013
    Rocksmith rocks! Excellent game. If you like playing the guitar and you like video games you will be very happy that you bought Rocksmith. The sound modelling alone is worth the price of the purchase, not to mention the USB audio interface and great track choice. Only the most adept guitarists will not benefit from the lessons on offer and even they would still have lots of fun I am sure.
  7. Mar 24, 2014
    As a beginner, who never struck a single chord before, the rocksmith experience have been a roller coaster ride. First off, yes it works. It really works. And it is fun. But, if you, like me, never played before I think you should at least think about talking to someone who do play. The reason is, when you play rocksmith without guidance, the game will tell you if you play the wrong note or chord. But the game can not see what you are doing wrong. So, for me, for instance, I struggled with muting strings and holding my fret hand a bit off.

A short talk and "lesson" from a friend did the trick and I went from 26% progression to 97%. Have played the game, every day now for two months and are already seeing a huge difference. I have learned several chords, are more familiar with the frets and notes. And have also started to play along to my favorite songs only using headphones and trying to play the right chords.

But! The game crashes at times. I have tried to find out why. Some, on the boards, say certain DLC can make the console prone to crashing, some say that the amount of free space on the drive is the culprit. I have only had three crashes in two months time, no biggie, but still an issue.

Verdict? Play this game, play more guitar. :)
  8. Aug 13, 2014
    Excellent game, and as a beginner, I can testify you can truly learn guitar. The problems are with the interface, as it's not quite clear how to follow through with the missions sometimes. They also need to support other controllers other than the DualShock, which needs both hands to be held. With the PSMove, or even the PS3 remote controller, you could navigate through the menus while still holding your guitar. I like the track selection, but it seems like it leans a bit towards metal (the DLC has very good choices, but the tracks are pricey, at $3 each). Expand
  9. Jan 15, 2014
    I've had Rocksmith 2014 since Christmas of 2013, it was a great game but it's hearing is terrible. The 4,5,6 strings of the guitar are the loudest apparently and the 1,2,3 string aren't heard at all. Since the game can't hear my strings, I've had to pick harder and faster and after a few days of doing that, my 1st string popped. The tutorials are also bad on this game, I am hitting every note on time but for some reason the game says I'm late for every single note I pluck. The only thing I like is that it actually teaches me how to play the guitar and lets me play my favorite songs. Expand
  10. Oct 24, 2013
    It's true, this is the fastest way to learn guitar. I had the original Rocksmith and the new 2014 version improves in ALL the areas the original had flaws in. Before playing this game, I did not know how to play electric guitar. After playing this game, I can now feel confident with tabs I find online and jam with my friends in real life.
  11. Oct 4, 2014
    Best way to learn guitar from digital way.If you really try to learn,make practices and complete all tutorials you are going to learn how to play a guitar.While learning it gives you some fun as well.Rocksmith got some mini games as well for instance,killing zombies with your guitar!
  12. Feb 12, 2014
    This game is great for a beginner, but an intermediate or advanced player should avoid it. The game forces you to play the songs from beginning to end, rather than learn each part separately. This is not how you learn songs on the guitar. Also, you end up playing random notes when you start, rather than the actual parts. The tuner doesn't work properly, and often your guitar will be out of tune. However, the biggest gripe is that you have no idea what notes you are playing. This is important when you start playing. This game is more gimmick than real learning tool. Expand
  13. Oct 29, 2013
    The original taught me to play guitar from scratch. I had been playing the original for about a year and a half. 2014 is even better, eliminating the few annoying things, like how riff repeater worked, and excessive load times. The whole package is so much better. This is from someone who loved the original, interface and all.
  14. Dec 15, 2013
    Extremely poor example of a "Rocksmith" game 2013 had a lot of amazing features that have been stripped away from the simplicity of enjoying playing guitar such as the concert mode. Now with no real feeling of achievement, a handful of the beginners may never continue to play their guitar and enjoy their music from lack of a better words motivation. I see what they're trying to do, but they shouldn't have taken out the sense of achievement in the game. No credits or anything to spend to earn a ranking of some sort. A title to feel proud of yourself. I hope to god in the 2015 edition they realize this was a mistake and have re added some simple features that enhanced the game play of traditional "Rocksmith". Expand
  15. Jan 2, 2014
    It's really fun. I've played guitar for a long while but never was very good at chord theory. The mini games are very effective at slamming the techniques into your brain. There is zero latency for me, which was the main reason I hated the first Rocksmith release.
  16. Jan 18, 2014
    This game is honestly perfect the whole design is awesome and looks amazing also i learned alot of stuff from this game like a song from the who, i know this is a small review but i reallt dont have anything to say.
  17. Sep 29, 2014
    There's so much to learn from this software, for all player levels. It can really boost your guitar level, if you practice of course, while making the process pretty fun.
    Several really impressive aspects and technologies are inside:
    - Lessons - A long series of lessons for all level, involving video and practice tracks which keep your progress.

- Guitar arcade - Mini games that
    really improve your guitar technique. And most are pretty fun to play too. Looks like a lot of thought were put into them.

- Songs - A big collection of mostly really cool rock songs, and more can be purchased. They did a terrific job in picking most of the songs, discovered quite a few gems I didn't know before. Software adds more and more notes to the song as you progress. And there's an excellent riff repeater which lets you practice parts of the song, with various speed and difficulties.

- Session mode - An impressive technology that lets you to improvise along with a band, which keeps your rhythm and "mood".

- Sound creator - a surprisingly long list of virtual equipment to create cool sounds and effects. Feels professional.

All of these are excellently implemented, feels like guitar and sound experts who are passionate about this were involved, and combining all of these gives you tens or hundred of hours worth of effective lessons.

Identifying the notes played in the guitar is excellent most of the time, except some rare cases. And I have no lag, even though I use hdmi.

All in all, after playing with this for months, I can say - terrific job guys, this is really impressive, effective - and fun! Highly recommended!

1. Sep 23, 2014
    Rocksmith 2014 is a very impressive guitar learning experience. Its comprehensive suite of lessons and practice formats, fun mini-games and hugely entertaining Session Mode make it suitable for anyone, from novices who've never picked up a guitar to competent players looking to improve their technique.
  2. With its extensive focus on learning and comprehensive library, Rocksmith 2014 is a must buy for guitar enthusiasts.
  3. Dec 13, 2013
    If you want some painless and enjoyable guitar lessons, go buy Rocksmith 2014 Edition. [13/2013, p.74]