8.2

1. Oct 23, 2013
    I am probably a near perfect example of a totally new beginner who never had the discipline, drive, and patience to learn guitar via traditional means.
    Though I had purchased the original Rocksmith years ago, I made the mistake of purchasing the cheapest brand name guitar I could find on Amazon, the Squier Fender Bullet Strat ($99), which upon unpackaging had the strings touching the fretboard. I still don't know if this was due to shipping or the product itself... I was going to get it fixed at the music store a couple towns over, but never got around to it (I'm also a good example of procrastination).

This time around I decided to do some more research before purchasing the guitar, but it seems the one that comes in the bundle is the best (or at least one of the best) for the price currently (Epiphone Les Paul Jr.). I had to dig around for my old PS3 component cable, found it, left the video on HDMI and simply plugged the audio portion from the component cable directly into my stereo. Tuning was a snap, and though during the very first lesson it felt awkward, I could tell I had made real progress by the very next day. They say you can learn in 60 days, and right now I'm a believer. I started before their online site was up (it's still in beta), but today it appears like a very good second screen tool to check your progress.

Basically Rocksmith does for learning guitar what Mavis Beacon does for learning how to type. It makes the learning process fun, changes it up so it doesn't get too monotonous, allows you freedom to learn what you want when you want to, provides immediate feedback and rewards.

I'm not an expert yet, but the thing is I'm having enough fun for this to be a daily habit. It's a console video game that teaches you a skill, and makes learning that skill fun enough to keep up with it over time. I hope this coming generation sees Rocksmith continue to refine this process with their xB1 and PS4 offerings, while adding piano, drums, and vocals.

Who knows, maybe even Khan Academy and Rosetta Stone could have their own console versions. I remember "educational" games on the Magnavox Odyssey 2 back in the day. They were not fun. But the times and technologies have changed enough that I believe learning certain skills (especially musical ones) can be easy and entertaining at the same time.

But back to Rocksmith 2014. I can't find a fault in it, and maybe that's because I'm a beginner, but the thing is, it makes me want to keep that guitar in my hands every day and keep on learning new songs/techniques, so it is perfect for me.
  2. Nov 6, 2013
    After learning how to play guitar successfully with the first Rocksmith I couldn't but buy this one, not only because I wanted to support Ubisoft for finally delivering a good game/program which truly teaches guitar, but also because I thought it would be fun to learn some new songs.

Surprisingly, there are many improvements with this one. Loading times are almost non-existent, the menu is quicker and more intuitive, the lessons are much more numerous and you can learn a lot more than you did with the first game. The songs offered with the game are more diversified and although we still get too much indy rock and not enough blues, we still get the feeling the guys who chose the tracks had the mission to improve their catalogue.

They got rid of the crowd/venues which made the game lag. They took the Guitarcade games and remade them so that they would be more fun and less frustrating. Good job!

With the first Rocksmith, they figured out that nobody cared about the number of guitars you could unlock, and they reinvented their sound forge. They added a nice mode, called "session mode" which simply lets you improvise whatever you want, accompanied by an interactive band. Just the fact that you can play guitar and hear yourself wherever you may be on the menu is an improvement to me.

They even took the time to modify and augment the precision of past songs. For example, Breaking the Law by Judas Priest didn't have slides during their chorus in the first Rocksmith. They corrected it in Rocksmith 2014 and you can now play the real song exactly like the real band played it.

One thing, however, that I really don't appreciate, is the fact that they charge around 10 bucks to transport your first Rocksmith songs to the new Rocksmith. I'm not talking about the DLC you might have bought those automatically end up in your new repertory. No, I'm talking about the 50-ish songs you already bought when you bought the first Rocksmith. You already paid for those songs and they want to charge you for simply transferring them to their new game? That's rubbish and that's why they don't get 10/10. Other games such as Littlebigplanet 2 let you import your Littlebigplanet 1 content at no additional cost.

What should come next? Online multiplaye and a recording studio. Online multiplayer would be a great addition, as long as lag isn't involved. It's hard to come upon fellow guitarists in real life unless you already have friends who are musicians, but if you have access to other Rocksmithers all around the world, it would be so fun to jam together, whether it be death metal with a Norwegian or blues with an American. Secondly, a recording studio should be the next big step for Rocksmith... Give us the power to record songs, turn them into mp3s or something and upload them on servers hosted by Ubisoft so that others can listen to us and rate us!
  3. Oct 23, 2013
    Nearly every aspect of the game has truly been improved this time around. The setlist is better, the loading times are almost nonexistent, Session Mode is sweet if you like to jam and improvise like I do, Lessons are clear and more in depth. But perhaps the most welcome improvement is with the gameplay itself. The 'freeway' or note track is not only more attractive, but also easier toNearly every aspect of the game has truly been improved this time around. The setlist is better, the loading times are almost nonexistent, Session Mode is sweet if you like to jam and improvise like I do, Lessons are clear and more in depth. But perhaps the most welcome improvement is with the gameplay itself. The 'freeway' or note track is not only more attractive, but also easier to read, with fret indications more clearly marked and highlighted next to each note. Also, no more annoying 3 or more song concerts or qualifying garbage that you were forced to play in the first game, now its just 'Learn a Song' mode. Very refreshing. If you want to learn guitar, already love to play, or want to get back into it, you NEED to experience this game. Expand
  4. Oct 24, 2013
    This game is too awesome. Is a terrific improvement over the first Rocksmith, all the things that are bad in that game are fixed in this one. The fact that you can activate (an improved) Riff Repeater is one of the most helpful things. Te Session mode is a goldmine, perfectly well done. I thought "I'll check it out for five minutes before playing a song to see how it is" I spent 4 hours.This game is too awesome. Is a terrific improvement over the first Rocksmith, all the things that are bad in that game are fixed in this one. The fact that you can activate (an improved) Riff Repeater is one of the most helpful things. Te Session mode is a goldmine, perfectly well done. I thought "I'll check it out for five minutes before playing a song to see how it is" I spent 4 hours.
    I know what game is my game of the year
  5. Oct 28, 2013
    Rocksmith rocks! Excellent game. If you like playing the guitar and you like video games you will be very happy that you bought Rocksmith. The sound modelling alone is worth the price of the purchase, not to mention the USB audio interface and great track choice. Only the most adept guitarists will not benefit from the lessons on offer and even they would still have lots of fun I am sure.
  6. Mar 24, 2014
    As a beginner, who never struck a single chord before, the rocksmith experience have been a roller coaster ride. First off, yes it works. It really works. And it is fun. But, if you, like me, never played before I think you should at least think about talking to someone who do play. The reason is, when you play rocksmith without guidance, the game will tell you if you play the wrong noteAs a beginner, who never struck a single chord before, the rocksmith experience have been a roller coaster ride. First off, yes it works. It really works. And it is fun. But, if you, like me, never played before I think you should at least think about talking to someone who do play. The reason is, when you play rocksmith without guidance, the game will tell you if you play the wrong note or chord. But the game can not see what you are doing wrong. So, for me, for instance, I struggled with muting strings and holding my fret hand a bit off.

A short talk and "lesson" from a friend did the trick and I went from 26% progression to 97%. Have played the game, every day now for two months and are already seeing a huge difference. I have learned several chords, are more familiar with the frets and notes. And have also started to play along to my favorite songs only using headphones and trying to play the right chords.

But! The game crashes at times. I have tried to find out why. Some, on the boards, say certain DLC can make the console prone to crashing, some say that the amount of free space on the drive is the culprit. I have only had three crashes in two months time, no biggie, but still an issue.

Verdict? Play this game, play more guitar. :)
  7. Aug 13, 2014
    Excellent game, and as a beginner, I can testify you can truly learn guitar. The problems are with the interface, as it's not quite clear how to follow through with the missions sometimes. They also need to support other controllers other than the DualShock, which needs both hands to be held. With the PSMove, or even the PS3 remote controller, you could navigate through the menus whileExcellent game, and as a beginner, I can testify you can truly learn guitar. The problems are with the interface, as it's not quite clear how to follow through with the missions sometimes. They also need to support other controllers other than the DualShock, which needs both hands to be held. With the PSMove, or even the PS3 remote controller, you could navigate through the menus while still holding your guitar. I like the track selection, but it seems like it leans a bit towards metal (the DLC has very good choices, but the tracks are pricey, at $3 each). Expand
  8. Oct 24, 2013
    It's true, this is the fastest way to learn guitar. I had the original Rocksmith and the new 2014 version improves in ALL the areas the original had flaws in. Before playing this game, I did not know how to play electric guitar. After playing this game, I can now feel confident with tabs I find online and jam with my friends in real life.
  9. Oct 4, 2014
    Best way to learn guitar from digital way.If you really try to learn,make practices and complete all tutorials you are going to learn how to play a guitar.While learning it gives you some fun as well.Rocksmith got some mini games as well for instance,killing zombies with your guitar!
  10. Oct 29, 2013
    The original taught me to play guitar from scratch. I had been playing the original for about a year and a half. 2014 is even better, eliminating the few annoying things, like how riff repeater worked, and excessive load times. The whole package is so much better. This is from someone who loved the original, interface and all.
  11. Jan 2, 2014
    It's really fun. I've played guitar for a long while but never was very good at chord theory. The mini games are very effective at slamming the techniques into your brain. There is zero latency for me, which was the main reason I hated the first Rocksmith release.
  12. Jan 18, 2014
    This game is honestly perfect the whole design is awesome and looks amazing also i learned alot of stuff from this game like a song from the who, i know this is a small review but i reallt dont have anything to say.
  13. Sep 29, 2014
    There's so much to learn from this software, for all player levels. It can really boost your guitar level, if you practice of course, while making the process pretty fun.
    Several really impressive aspects and technologies are inside:
    - Lessons - A long series of lessons for all level, involving video and practice tracks which keep your progress. - Guitar arcade - Mini games that
    Several really impressive aspects and technologies are inside:

- Guitar arcade - Mini games that really improve your guitar technique. And most are pretty fun to play too. Looks like a lot of thought were put into them.

- Songs - A big collection of mostly really cool rock songs, and more can be purchased. They did a terrific job in picking most of the songs, discovered quite a few gems I didn't know before. Software adds more and more notes to the song as you progress. And there's an excellent riff repeater which lets you practice parts of the song, with various speed and difficulties.

- Session mode - An impressive technology that lets you to improvise along with a band, which keeps your rhythm and "mood".

- Sound creator - a surprisingly long list of virtual equipment to create cool sounds and effects. Feels professional.

All of these are excellently implemented, feels like guitar and sound experts who are passionate about this were involved, and combining all of these gives you tens or hundred of hours worth of effective lessons.

Identifying the notes played in the guitar is excellent most of the time, except some rare cases. And I have no lag, even though I use hdmi.

All in all, after playing with this for months, I can say - terrific job guys, this is really impressive, effective - and fun! Highly recommended!

1. Sep 23, 2014
    Rocksmith 2014 is a very impressive guitar learning experience. Its comprehensive suite of lessons and practice formats, fun mini-games and hugely entertaining Session Mode make it suitable for anyone, from novices who've never picked up a guitar to competent players looking to improve their technique.
  2. With its extensive focus on learning and comprehensive library, Rocksmith 2014 is a must buy for guitar enthusiasts.
  3. Dec 13, 2013
    If you want some painless and enjoyable guitar lessons, go buy Rocksmith 2014 Edition. [13/2013, p.74]