Rush'N Attack Ex-Patriot PlayStation 3

7.8

1. Apr 6, 2011
    Honestly, I don't know what reviewers are playing, or smoking. The only decent review is the Eurogamer one, and gamers in different forums are liking it too. It's not perfect, in fact is kinda ugly and some time is needed to get used to the controls, especially to realize you are not controlling Mario and jumps are more realistic, but reviewers saw the title and believed they could getHonestly, I don't know what reviewers are playing, or smoking. The only decent review is the Eurogamer one, and gamers in different forums are liking it too. It's not perfect, in fact is kinda ugly and some time is needed to get used to the controls, especially to realize you are not controlling Mario and jumps are more realistic, but reviewers saw the title and believed they could get their precious review in time by going ahead and mash some buttons. IGN video review is a shame, the dude just doesn't know how to play, I don't even know if he realizes there is a quick attack and a block button. ZTGameDomain confuse gas-filled areas with radioactive ones, and also says "you can't drop into a hanging position from a ledge, nor can you quietly drop down behind an enemy", both of which you can (circle button, then left stick down, an essential move). Other reviews don't realize you can melee (and stealth kill) an enemy with a weapon on your hands (triangle button), or you can control the camera with the right stick... but enough of mediocre reviewers. This game is not that much about combat but about stealth, and has great stealth mechanics, for both making sense in a "2D" platformer and being FUN. It feels somewhat like the first Metal Gear Solid game, for being very straightforward, speedy and having shortsighted enemies. Stealth kills give you 3x (or so) more points than normal kills with the knife, and even more than with weapons; they even allow you to unlock knife combos, which facilitate your life when you're caught. As I said before, you are limited combat-wise, but criticizing Rush 'n Attack for that is like despising (old) MGS and Splinter Cell games because you can't blast your way through. The game is not that "labyrinthine", so the comparisons to Shadow Complex and "Metroidvania" games do not apply that much; it's a more linear game, with less backtracking involved and no RPG-like elements. Hidden paths serve more to avoid direct confrontation with guards looking at your direction, and surprise enemies from behind never gets old. The game lasts about 4 to 6 hours depending on how fast you are, which is a nice length for a DL game. Like I said, it's not perfect, but I wanted to show some love for the most unfairly, excessively bashed and most fun $10 I've spent in months, so I'm keeping it's unimportant defects to myself. Expand
  2. Jun 20, 2011
    This is a really fun game and I pretty much didn't stop til I beat it. It reminded me of a more forgiving a looser Metal Gear Solid game (although all side-scrolling). Don't be fooled by cynic critics, this game is fun and it's really hard to beat (value) for $9.99.

1. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    Jul 17, 2011
    Was it necessary to also make it so ugly? [Aug 2011, p.110]
  2. Games Master UK
    Jun 4, 2011
    In a word: shonky. [July 2011, p.89]
  3. May 16, 2011
    Rush'N Attack: Ex-Patriot is pretty short and sits on a weird transition point between a side-scroller and an exploration-based adventure game. It takes a little bit of getting used to, since some of the stealth elements are counterproductive (i.e. if you whistle to lure an enemy over to your hiding place, it also alerts them to your presence, thus ensuring your discovery). It's not a bad use of ten bucks, as it gives you a pretty decent weekend's worth of entertainment.