7.0

1. Dec 25, 2011
    First off, I'm not a troll or a griefer. I don't wander around the Internet, **** on other people's work for my own sad pleasure. What I am about to say is an opinion from a pretty reasonable guy.

That being said Sacred 2 is, literally and in every grammatical sense of the word, one of the very worst games I have ever encountered in my twentysomething years of electronic gaming. I wanted to like this game, I had a really strong reason to like this game. I couldn't stand more than 15 minutes of this game. A bit of background. My wife and I are both gamers, but we generally like very different types of games. She: MMOs and builder sims. Me: Strategy wargames, RPG's and overly-complicated 4x sims. Not a lot of opportunity to share things. Luckily, we both agree on one thing: Diablo clones. We both like them, we're both good at them and they can be excellent 2 player cooperatives. It's one of our things, we both love spending an evening playing console sword and sorcery games for hours. No, we're usually not sober when this happens, it's all part of the fun. Anyway, we've been in a bit of a dry spell for games we would both enjoy. There was a bit of a golden age when the console versions of Baldur's Gate and its sequel came out, but thinner pickings over the last couple years. Recently, we've only had the perfectly-adequate-for-five-bucks Dungeon Hunter and the delightful DeathSpank games, hamstrung as they were by an insultingly shallow 2 player. Anyway, I only recently heard about Sacred 2 and saw the favorable-but-not-enthusiastic rating on metacritic. I forged ahead and bought it, figuring my wife and I's love for the genre would be willing to ignore a few flaws for thirty or forty hours. We boot it up and without any fuss are at a character creation screen. Not even an intro animation, options menu, nothing. I guess I'm not as much of a no-fuss person as I thought, I would have appreciated a little hint that I was starting the game and a clue about what I should be doing. Characters created, we drop into some sort of final rite of passage and told to go. No real hint where, non-linear map. ooooookkkayyyyy. Long story short, 15 minutes later we've wandered drunkenly through a village trying to figure out what button combinations do what. No quick walk through the HUD like every other tutorial on the face of the planet. And the loading screen tips.... probably helpful but they disappear off the screen in two seconds so you can't read them.

Graphically, the game would have looked clunky and dated on a PS2. Very big pixels, so whenever anything moves, the edges flicker (people who played a lot of 16 bit games will know what I'm talking about). Music was hair-band awful.... because a lot of it sounded like tribute bands to Winger and Poison. Dialog was read by actresses who sounded like they were really annoyed at having to read this ridiculous **** Combat was slow and clunky. Even tiny little details were done badly. With two characters on screen, each was assigned a color: Light green and light blue. Two very similar colors. The makers of the game could have given these guys any color in the rainbow, but in a two person game, where you spend a significant fraction of your time mistakenly thinking the other character is in fact, yours, the makers of the game choose two, nearly identical colors. So to summarize. I really really wanted to like this game. My expectations were not especially high. This game failed in every way I can think of a game failing.
  2. AustinVorkink
    Jul 1, 2009
    Currently the developer and publisher are bickering over who is responsible for a lack of a patch to fix SOME of the many bugs in the game. For example, there is no trading for couch co-op players on the PS3 in North America. If you plan on couch co-op, look elsewhere.
  3. ChadH.
    Aug 3, 2009
    I reserved this game after scoping it online for some time. It was the only RPG that was coming out for the PS3, and the videos of it looked pretty good. I picked my copy up the day it was released, drove home, and popped it in. I was like alright, it's kind of a baldur's gate type action/rpg. Unfortunately, about an hour into the game I realized this was the most boring game I reserved this game after scoping it online for some time. It was the only RPG that was coming out for the PS3, and the videos of it looked pretty good. I picked my copy up the day it was released, drove home, and popped it in. I was like alright, it's kind of a baldur's gate type action/rpg. Unfortunately, about an hour into the game I realized this was the most boring game I'd ever played. There's only one thing to this game, and they made sure to make that one thing the worst of it's kinda ever. That thing is grinding. All you do is walk around fighting while under the false pretext of questing that leaves you yearning for something more. Killing things isn't even entertaining like in other games that share this sheer stab stab stab cast cast cast shoot shoot shoot for eterntiy play-style. Baldur's Gate for the ps2, and every other similar game such as Gauntlet (?) that are based on the same platform are far superior to this game. This game brought the open-ended free-roam aspect into it and perhaps that's what butchered this pathetic excuse for a game. Just another addition to the endless pile of crap games developers are throwing at consumers with their flashy trailers. Maybe you clowns should spend a little less time on the trailer and a little more time making your games half-way entertaining. They had a great concept, but stumbled and fell one foot off the starting line. Expand

1. The bottom line here is with Diablo 2 ten years behind us and Diablo 3 still off in the distance somewhere, being a mediocre version of the great one is almost a compliment. Almost. And Sacred 2 almost succeeds in its imitation.
  2. Sacred 2 Fallen Angel in its console version is a good game. It spite of its technical flaws (though nothing dramatic) or the uncomfortable camera, it has its virtues like its durability (more than 100 hours), its active level development and the fun multiplayer matches.
  3. PSM3 Magazine UK