7.0

1. Dec 25, 2011
    First off, I'm not a troll or a griefer. I don't wander around the Internet, **** on other people's work for my own sad pleasure. What I am about to say is an opinion from a pretty reasonable guy.

That being said Sacred 2 is, literally and in every grammatical sense of the word, one of the very worst games I have ever encountered in my twentysomething years of electronic gaming. I wanted
    to like this game, I had a really strong reason to like this game. I couldn't stand more than 15 minutes of this game. A bit of background. My wife and I are both gamers, but we generally like very different types of games. She: MMOs and builder sims. Me: Strategy wargames, RPG's and overly-complicated 4x sims. Not a lot of opportunity to share things. Luckily, we both agree on one thing: Diablo clones. We both like them, we're both good at them and they can be excellent 2 player cooperatives. It's one of our things, we both love spending an evening playing console sword and sorcery games for hours. No, we're usually not sober when this happens, it's all part of the fun. Anyway, we've been in a bit of a dry spell for games we would both enjoy. There was a bit of a golden age when the console versions of Baldur's Gate and its sequel came out, but thinner pickings over the last couple years. Recently, we've only had the perfectly-adequate-for-five-bucks Dungeon Hunter and the delightful DeathSpank games, hamstrung as they were by an insultingly shallow 2 player. Anyway, I only recently heard about Sacred 2 and saw the favorable-but-not-enthusiastic rating on metacritic. I forged ahead and bought it, figuring my wife and I's love for the genre would be willing to ignore a few flaws for thirty or forty hours. We boot it up and without any fuss are at a character creation screen. Not even an intro animation, options menu, nothing. I guess I'm not as much of a no-fuss person as I thought, I would have appreciated a little hint that I was starting the game and a clue about what I should be doing. Characters created, we drop into some sort of final rite of passage and told to go. No real hint where, non-linear map. ooooookkkayyyyy. Long story short, 15 minutes later we've wandered drunkenly through a village trying to figure out what button combinations do what. No quick walk through the HUD like every other tutorial on the face of the planet. And the loading screen tips.... probably helpful but they disappear off the screen in two seconds so you can't read them.

Graphically, the game would have looked clunky and dated on a PS2. Very big pixels, so whenever anything moves, the edges flicker (people who played a lot of 16 bit games will know what I'm talking about). Music was hair-band awful.... because a lot of it sounded like tribute bands to Winger and Poison. Dialog was read by actresses who sounded like they were really annoyed at having to read this ridiculous **** Combat was slow and clunky. Even tiny little details were done badly. With two characters on screen, each was assigned a color: Light green and light blue. Two very similar colors. The makers of the game could have given these guys any color in the rainbow, but in a two person game, where you spend a significant fraction of your time mistakenly thinking the other character is in fact, yours, the makers of the game choose two, nearly identical colors. So to summarize. I really really wanted to like this game. My expectations were not especially high. This game failed in every way I can think of a game failing.
  2. Apr 27, 2011
    This is an awesome action RPG with an incredibly deep and customizable character creation system. If you're a fan of loot centric games like Diablo or WoW, you'll have a blast with this game. It has tons to do, and loads of enemies to bash. Being able to play co-op one on console is another great plus for it, as there aren't many action RPGs out there on consoles that do this. Overall, a very addictive and satisfying game to play. Expand
  3. Dec 18, 2013
    This game is terribly boring. Even with 2 players it's still boring. It doesn't do anything new, the gameplay is boring. The story is boring. The graphics are boring. I do like the genre though and the game works and doesn't have technical flaws.
  4. Feb 22, 2012
    I don't mind this game, its nothing special, the birds eye view was the worst for me and the fact that there is over 600 quests as if im going to do them all, the map is huge if you like exploring then this is your thing. The best part for me was the CO-OP, when you could do the entire game with a friend and still maintain levels and questing, if you don't have a friend you can search for other public matches. All in all the games fine and I would recommend it or borrow it if need be. Expand
  5. Apr 6, 2013
    Sacred 2 is a hack & slash dungeon crawler of the highest standard, The area's are huge and beautifully detailed while remaining easy to navigate, The online co-op/Pvp is great fun if you can find people and the detail in character customization is where Sacred 2 really excels..
    Sacred 2 doesn't take it's self to seriously, Jokes are hidden all throughout the game, and the characters
    will spit hilarious one liners on occasion, Even the minor enemies are given a personality And dialogue and can be quite rude and funny at times.
    The beautiful and environment, character detail and the voice acting really bring this game to life, If your a fan of dungeon crawlers, hack & slash and terrible puns, pick up sacred 2 next time your looking for a new game to play..
  6. Oct 12, 2013
    The best hack and slash open world game ever made. If you like diablo 2 and open world games, this game is for you. I have had so much fun playing this game. The graphics are beautiful. Item Looting is great, always finding new items, great multiplayer, great character building. I love this game about as much as anyone could love a game. The only downside is the company who made it went bankrupt and the 3rd in the series has been ruined by another company,. I have played this game a few hundred hours and I haven't even seen half of the stuff there is to see. I am sure I will play it a few hundred. I have to highly recommend this game, coming from a guy whos pretty picky when it comes to games. I got it cheap used at gamestop for 10 bucks, best 10 bucks I ever spent in my life! Expand
  7. Dec 25, 2011

1. The bottom line here is with Diablo 2 ten years behind us and Diablo 3 still off in the distance somewhere, being a mediocre version of the great one is almost a compliment. Almost. And Sacred 2 almost succeeds in its imitation.
  2. Sacred 2 Fallen Angel in its console version is a good game. It spite of its technical flaws (though nothing dramatic) or the uncomfortable camera, it has its virtues like its durability (more than 100 hours), its active level development and the fun multiplayer matches.
  3. At least the level grinding is semi-entertaining. [July 2009, p.76]