8.0

1. Jun 21, 2011
    I'm currently on Act 3-2 (about 5 hours in). If you have any interest in Suda 51's dark humour & art style as a developer, then this game will not disappoint you. Shadows of the Damned is a perfect combination of eerie & hilarious, and while graphically the game doesn't break any new ground, the game more than makes up for it with it's stylistic visuals and unorthodox gameplay elements. Not to mention, the musical score is a unique achievement all its own; which can only be described as Silent Hill meets Planet Terror.

The combat, more often than not, is intense and enjoyable; and the boss battles are fun & challenging without being frustrating. My only gripe is that the controls can feel a bit clunky & sluggish at times, but not any more so than say Resident Evil 4. The one-button 180 degree turn mechanic helps remedy this to some degree, but on occasion the sprint button does feel unresponsive (and it really should have been mapped to L3 instead of R1). Again, this is a minor gripe, and it doesn't occur frequently enough to hurt the gameplay. Aside from that, the game does feel like it will probably clock in at around 10 hours. However, I'm playing on the hardest difficulty, so I'm probably looking at about 12 hours. Personally I'm okay with this.

The light & dark gameplay mechanic is somewhat similar to what is found in Alan Wake (and is executed just as well), but it definitely has the Suda 51 trademark -- shooting munching goat heads as light sources, and igniting fireworks machines instead of boring flood lights. Goat heads you say? Yes... absolutely. And even the game's main character is as baffled as you. Upon discovering this, he aptly replies: "What do I have to do to unlock a door? F##K a horse?"

Buy this game now. Support creative game development.
  2. Jun 25, 2011
    Most fun I had this year!! DON'T listen to the reviewers which gave the game negatives, they are unfair because they complain about the gameplay being too similar to Resident Evil 4, but how come no one complains about Dead Space?
    Some critics say its too repetitive, but aren't all shooters repetitive? We still all love shooters even so.

Legendary japanese names such as Suda Goichi who is
    known for his crazy ideas in his games directed No More Heroes, Shinji Mikami who is the guy who basically created the third person genre and created the Resident Evil series, and Akira Yamaoka who made the creepy sounds for the Silent Hill series, they all 3 team together to make this awesome game.

Design:

This game has a punk and B-movie style feel to it, its design is unique, especially the vibrant neon colours which renders the strange new hell. This hell is like no other hell expressed before, it has like a medieval design to it and goes by it's own rules.

Those out there who like Quantin Tarantino and Rodriguez should love this as this game is heavily influenced by movies like From Dusk Till Dawn and Grindhouse. Some reviews pointed out that they did not like the dialogue in the game, but it is meant to be cheesy because it is also influenced be Evil Dead.

FIRSTLY, this game was made to give the players pure fun and is not meant to be taken seriously. The dialogue is there to make you laugh as it is influenced by B-movies, the main character swears alot, makes memorable quotes with his mexican accent and acts badass, he reminds me alot of Ash from Evil Dead. He calls his gun the Boner because it can extend and become bigger. The main character's demon partner, Johnson has a british accent and is hilarious, he tours you around hell as he used to live there, he reminds me of the robot with the british voice in Portal 2.

Story:

The story of the game is about a demon slayer, Garcia Hotspur, who has upset the lord of demons, Flemming by killing one too many demons. Flemming kidnaps Garcia's lover Paula to get revenge on him for what he has done to his minions. Garcia, with the help of his demon partner and friend, Johnson, who has the ability to shapeshift into different weapons, set out together to kick the prince of demon's ass, and to bring back his lover, the story progresses along the way and odd things happen.

Gameplay:

The gameplay plays like Dead Space and Resident Evil 4, it is an over the shoulder shooter in which you aim with a laser sight and walk while aiming, headshots are vital to execute demons quickily. You upgrade your guns in the game alot as you progress through the game, making it more dangerous for your foes. Light and Darkness play a big role in the game, you must lure enemies away from the darkness, as the darkness makes demons invulnerable and then shoot them with a light shot to make them vulnerable. If you love bosses to fight against, this game is made just for you.

Overall:

I give this a 9.5/10 as this game is like no other, it is random in a good way because it is full of surprises, and has a B-movie style to it.

The gameplay is great overall besides from the rarely occasional camera problems when you are aiming in a tight space, but that doesn't effect the overall experience as it does not happen much.

There is no new game which means you can't start a new game with your upgraded weapons after you have completed the game which is a little bit of a disappointment, but you can always play the game on the harder difficulty if you have completed the game on normal. You can always experience the crazy journey again or try to unlock trophies.

It is like experiencing a 10-12 hours Tarantino and Rodriguez movie which everyones gotta experience, its ashame there isn't much hype to this game. Definitely a must buy.

Story: 8
    Gameplay: 8.5
    Design: 9.5
    Enjoyment: 10

Overall: 9.5
  3. Jul 3, 2011
    This game is essentially Resident Evil 5 with a lot more childish yet funny sexual puns (Considering the handgun is called a boner) It uses most of the control mechanics from Resident Evil 5 as well (You can strife side to side when aiming unlike RE5); using the d-pad to switch different weapons, L1 to aim and R1 to fire, and a 180 degree camera flip. It even has a goofy half-demon & half-human merchant that sells you all sorts of items to help you on the way (Whatya buying!? Hooray for Resident Evil 4 references) The story isn't anything extremely special, it reminds me a lot of Dante's Inferno's story(The game not the book); A demon takes the protagonists' girlfriend into a hell-like place and naturally, you have to get her back. Even though the story isn't incredible, the one-liners between the main character, Garcia Hotspur and his witty & smart mouthed demon skull companion will have you chuckling all the way to the end. Overall, a game that definitely is unique to the third-person genre and should not be missed. Expand
  4. Jul 27, 2011
    I just finished this game, and I don't know what people are complaining about. It's a campy gridnhouse game, of course it's going to be immature and cheesy. You don't go see The Dark Knight not wanting to see Batman do you...The game sets out to be a thrill ride to Hell with some cheesy jokes along the way and it does just that. The game play is smooth and fun, although later parts in the game get a little frustrating which is the only thing keeping this game from gaming nirvana. The story is simple, go to Hell to get your girlfriend back from Hell. It's a road trip game. Along the way you get amazing new weapons with great upgrades, and you face harder and harder bosses. That's a good thing, the game play is varied enough that you wont get bored. I beat this game after 2 gaming sessions, its almost impossible to put down. Don't miss out on this amazing game! Expand
  5. Jul 2, 2011
    Excellent Game. What should I say? Controls similar to Resident Evil 4 (YES you can actually walk and aim), a lot of barrels to smash and collect ammo, enhance your health and weapons. The sound design is really top notch. Sometimes it reminds you a bit of silent hill, but it still has enough personality of its own. The charakters are so over the top and full of charisma. The level of style within the storytelling reminds me a lot of quentin tarantino movies. Also the dialogs are hilarious (especially the "fairy tales").

If you are looking for a creative and different game, give it a try and rent it first if you are not sure about a purchase, but this game really rocks!

The achievements are fun and challenging but not to hard to acquire.
  6. Jul 9, 2011
    Frankly, the game is very beautiful in the fighting, beating, and the devil Bewitchments and control well and the list of weapons development and also an excellent health ... Thank interesting game ....
    by
    adil khojah
    from saudi arabia - jeddah city 10-07-2011 on sunday
  7. Aug 21, 2011
    This is a must play, if u love games like devil may cry, resident evil and bayonetta don't miss this. Got a wicked twist of humour with awesome smooth game play. Making it a new franchise that I will definitely support.
  8. Feb 27, 2012
    Suda51 (Goichi Suda) is truly the hardcore godfather of gaming classics like Killer7 and No More Heroes. But with a game like Shadow of the Damned, Damn, I wish I could have one of those Johnsons like him. It's now on the Playstation Network and hopefully, I could play an hour long or so. This is a must buy because I saw the trailers and I was thinking "What would happen if you could combine Leon S. Kennedy (Resident Evil 4) and Tony Montana (Scarface) and make it a sexually-toned hack n' slash game that could make Dante cry for his mommy?" I think this is one of the best games of 2011! Better than any EA game of last year like Alice: Madness Returns, Bulletstorm, and Portal 2. As soon as they have a release date soon for the new Lollipop Chainsaw, I'll still falling in love for newcomer Juliet Starling, she's the new face of hack n' slash and more kick-ass than Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I hope they should stick it to an M-rated title on the game. (Sorry, Teenagers aren't allowed because Juliet's 21-years-old). 2012, it's gonna be a big year for video games. It's time to pre-order at GameStop. Expand
  9. Apr 29, 2012
    Unapologetically adolescent, playful, and fun. Humorously shockingly and never boring,strong gameplay with artistic delights and hell of a lot of fun.Suda did another masterpiece and if you like Suda 51 and Shinji Mikami you will love this game,pure and simple a trash masterpiece! You owe it to yourself to check it out
  10. Mar 31, 2012
    Hell just got a new look and meaning. The humar, story, and gameplay is what makes this game a one of a kind even though the graphic is not much. This is one of my best game alongside Gears of War series, Saints Row: The Third, Uncharted series, Mass Effect series, Grand Theft Auto III/Vice City/San Andreas/Liberty City Stories/Vice City Stories, Metal Gear Solid, and Batman: Arkham Asylum/City.
  11. Oct 16, 2012
    If you can handle gore and dick jokes, then you NEED to play this game. Resi 4 gameplay, great stylized enemies and environments, good story and surprisingly well developed characters. The guns are fun to use, the enemies can be actually intimidating, and the music is sublime. All of this put with some well used humor and lots of WTF moments, and you have a great game. No major flaws on this game, thus no reason to reduce the score. Just jump in, and enjoy the trippy ride. Expand

1. We're not entirely sure who's going to play this game, or even who it's ultimately suited for. People who are fans of Mikami and Suda will no doubt snap it up without a thought, and so will those who are tired of the 'usual' slew of action games. Sure, Shadows of the Damned has character and shows of incredible, grotesque and inventive beats, but as a game it's left lacking. [August 2011 p70]
  2. Sep 4, 2011
    The game delivers what you might expect from two iconic developers. Unique story, plenty of grindhouse-style visuals and slightly lackluster gameplay. Fans of these auteurs will be pleased. Parents of impressionable youths will not.
  3. Aug 18, 2011
    If it wasn't for the not-for-everyone grind house aesthetic of the game and the short play length, Shadows of the Damned would be a slam dunk recommendation. If you want some grindhouse and road movie in your game, this is the experience just for you. Even if you're a horror fan who's looking for something a little less serious than Dead Space of the latest F.E.A.R. title, you may just find what you're looking for here as well.