7.7

1. JasonR
    Jul 13, 2008
    Words cannot describe how disappointed I am in this game or how relieved I feel that I rented it instead of bought it. What I liked about it--it's fast paced. Also, navigating through the different menus I found quick and easy. That's about it! The rest of this game can be summed up by taking every aspect of previous civilizations games and dumbing it down to where it's Words cannot describe how disappointed I am in this game or how relieved I feel that I rented it instead of bought it. What I liked about it--it's fast paced. Also, navigating through the different menus I found quick and easy. That's about it! The rest of this game can be summed up by taking every aspect of previous civilizations games and dumbing it down to where it's either automatic, not customizable, or completely removed. Before the game there's no more setting map size, terrain, amount of cultures, conditions of victory, how quickly time passes, etc... Although this expedites the process to start a game, you find similar sacrifices throughout the gameplay as well. What do you mean I can't rename my @#$%ing capital? Although I would have grudgingly accepted the removal of some of the game's more intricate parts for getting the benefits of playing on a console, this game goes too far and offers little in return. The graphics to me look just like Civ 4, with some really really disappointing fight scenes thrown in when you attack. Also, features of the landscape are like caricatures, i.e., a single impassible, isolated mountain surrounded by plains. The rest of the geography is just spatters of green and brown on land masses that resemble a game of dominos. This is one of the most useless games I've ever played. They tried to dumb it down to bring new users in, but by my calculations it's still too complicated and light on graphics for the average console cretin. For the hardcore civ player, it's like bowling with bumpers in the alley. Expand

1. Whatever the notable flaws in the PS3 version, they obviously weren’t enough to keep us from playing several times on each of the difficulty levels (although some of those brutal ‘Deity’-level solo games ended pretty damned quickly).
  2. Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution is the most immersive strategy game on the consoles to-date that can offer up this much fun, offline or online and for multiple skill levels.
  3. While Sid Meier has been quoted as saying that this is the Civilization game he always wanted to make, Revolution's got plenty of shortcomings, and the scope of its vision can sometimes outstrip its mechanics. That said, this is a really satisfying strategy game, and though it might be old hat for PC players, there are few experiences quite like it on consoles.