6.6

1. Oct 27, 2011
    Definitely worth your money. The camera shifting while wrapping around buildings is awesome, worth the price of admission alone. I'm a huge fan of retro platformers, and Sideway's definitely got that vibe, with shades of metroidvania and zelda sprinkled in there. I loved powering up and revisiting levels to find every little nook and cranny.
  2. Oct 20, 2011
    Wrapping a sidescrolling game around the edges of buildings and rooftops is really original and stays fresh for the whole game. The look of the game is really stylish and the music fits well. There's lots of upgrades that make your dude really strong as you progress through the game and the levels challenge you to use what you've learned at a good pace. Every level also has 5 secrets which are often hidden behind much tougher puzzles than you find in the first playthrough. A great exclusive for the PS3 platform. Collapse
  3. Oct 20, 2011
    Sideway: NY is the kind of game that is mixing 2D with 3D elements. The story is rather simple, like many platformers, in that you're girlfiend got kidnapped and you have to go save her.
    The core of the game comes from making your way through the buildings and scenery by moving along the walls of the buildings like graffiti. This works very well, and is indeed unique. The developers also
    used this mechanic to create many hidden or secret areas that you can explore and hunt down for "tags", "upgrades", and other goodies. The game has a nice smooth dificulty curve, in that around each level you will probably earn a new ability, and the levels are designed to challenge you to use all the abilities you have gained so far, as well as, having you replay some levels in order to get all the unlockables that you might have missed.
    The bosses themselves are nothing too hard, except for the last ones, and the designers made them unique and colorful to not get stale or just look like larger enemies.
    The audio tracks were also very fitting and worked well to compliment the overall style and game. The only downside is I think I only heard like 2-3 songs throughout the entire game. Sometimes they just looped, other times I had pure silence throughout the levels.
    For a $10 PSN title, this was a well deserved playthrough. Yes, the game was kind of short. I think I 100% it around 5 hours. The trophies are also not very hard, and since it's a PSN title there really were only like 12 or less.
    Regardless, if you want a break from all the AAA titles, or love quirky platformers, I say give it a shot.
    It's only $10, has a unique style and gameplay mechanic, funky sound, and has co-op.
    Anyway, a solid 7.5 from me, though I guess I would round it to an 8.
  4. Oct 19, 2011
    Awesome game! Moving around in the levels is absolutely mesmerizing. I'm about half-way through, but once I finish I'm sure I'm gonna be retracing all the levels to collect everything (yes, I'm a trophy-whore :) )
  5. Oct 19, 2011
    I first played this game at Gamescon and really appreciated it. Sideway is a new genre of 2D platformer.
    I bought it recently and went through the game in about 4 to 6 hours. Worth the 10 bucks I spent on.
  6. Oct 19, 2011
    This lackluster 2d platformer makes you strain your eyes into the buildings perspective. An Urban street style, but nothing I haven't done before. Save your money for Mario Galaxy 2 or Paper Mario instead.
  7. Oct 20, 2011

1. Anyone remember Marc Ecko's Getting Up or the ridiculous dance game B-Boy? Sideway: New York shares the same urban lifestyle-roots, and combines it with fairly original platforming action. [Nov 2011, p.98]
  2. Dec 5, 2011
    It's not a horrible game by any means, but it's certainly not a fully realized idea based on what's been shown in this first of three titles.
  3. Controls are awkwardly mapped and the music is unbearably repetitive, but exploration is rewarded and the mechanic is neat enough to keep you playing. [Christmas 2011, p.104]