Silent Hill: Downpour PlayStation 3

6.9

1. May 13, 2015
    I disagree with brabb555. I am not a hardcore SH fan. the only SH game I played was 2 and I got locked out and quit the game to return to it later. And af far as Downpour goes. It has an amazing story but is hindered by shoddy gameplay. First, the sound is horrible. Murply has the same three different lines for taking a hit and gets old fast. You could have at most 8? And the soundtrack isI disagree with brabb555. I am not a hardcore SH fan. the only SH game I played was 2 and I got locked out and quit the game to return to it later. And af far as Downpour goes. It has an amazing story but is hindered by shoddy gameplay. First, the sound is horrible. Murply has the same three different lines for taking a hit and gets old fast. You could have at most 8? And the soundtrack is God Awful. Lichs knows how to ruin the ambience. he deliberately tries to (and fails) to replicate Yamaoka's style rather than generating his own tone of eerie ambience. As for the physics, Murphy's animations are horrible, doubly-so when SWINGING a weapon. Look at the Axe/Rake animation, the punching animation and the knife/cleaver animations. They all make it seem as if Murphy's disjointed, basically the only thing that moves in said animation(s) is his arms, not his shoulders, not his upper body, and even his waist never budges an inch. Honestly, if having a motion capture actor that FOREIGN to you??!
    And also when you try to scale staircases while being sucked up by the red-blackhole and he'll just stand still and not move, just that annoying scream.
  2. Jul 5, 2012
    Wow bringing the new silent hill game on ps3 this game was not any good genetic atmosphere was less then great story line was mediocre but they did not have same magic they done in first second 3rd and homecoming which ironically is 5 those game where scary enough and got me sucked in this game not so much....

the story line is that you get chased by some sucking void monster

the story line is that you get chased by some sucking void monster which ironically does not kill you which was lame enough trying to outrun it and with endless corridor in beginning of the game was not good Game had alot of bugs in the game which is one with endless stair casing running up those stair cases for 5 mins real time mode then not going no where then suddenly turn around walk down 3 seconds later you at the same map..

horrible game waste money if silent hill make another i hope they make it like previous ones 1 2 3 5 those one are horror genre
  3. Jun 21, 2012
    At first glance, I was thinking that this game is not bad. But then enemies become packing in groups. 3 screemers are o'k, but 7? What is this -- Silent hill or Quake? And fast combat system is lame, hit or miss are pretty random, which is quite frustrating. And combat are quite regular, exploration become boring. To many respawn made this game not horror, but bad shooter.
  4. Jul 20, 2013
    This is the worst piece of silent hill series I have ever met. Traditionally silent hill is not focused on combat, but in this series combat is very hard to avoid. Unfortunately, the combat control is just a master piece of crap, which end up in missing attack frequently.

Besides, the enemy design is extremely bad. Generally, the enemy in silent hill represents a dark, horror, or any negative emotion or memory buried deeply inside the heart of character. That's not the case in this installment. Most of the enemies in this series are just zombie-like creatures, who are very good at combat. Yes, just imagine you are fighting a lot of zombie martialist. That just ruin the atmosphere already.

Further, the side quests are completely non-sense, boring and have no relationship with the story plot. Also, the rewards are not great, as you generally will keep on losing items obtained as the story progresses.

There are not too many characters in this series, but the description about them are also not that much as well. So, the story plot is quite easy to guess, and with not much to expect as the story goes. The characters are just not as attractive as others in other silent hill series.

The only thing shine is that there are different endings based on player choice, but the most significant factor is based on the kill count of player, which is an extremely poor execution.

Overall, the story is boring and side quests are dull. The enemy design is the worst, and you are forced to fight them with a crappy combat system. Better not waste your time to play this game.
  5. Mar 25, 2012
    I've loved Silent Hill since the first one, and I started to see a decline in Origins but I still had faith in the series. I should have stopped, I found, when I bought Downpour. Pros: Voice acting seems to be better than the other Silent Hill games, I can actually tell Murphy is scared sh*tless. You can watch Murphy get more and more battered as he takes more damage. The UV light lightsI've loved Silent Hill since the first one, and I started to see a decline in Origins but I still had faith in the series. I should have stopped, I found, when I bought Downpour. Pros: Voice acting seems to be better than the other Silent Hill games, I can actually tell Murphy is scared sh*tless. You can watch Murphy get more and more battered as he takes more damage. The UV light lights up hidden clues.
    You can (usually) block monster's attacks.
    While fighting a group of monsters, you don't lock onto a single one. You can switch between the group if one is about to hit you.

Cons: The game is SO glitchy. Constant twitchy movements, and what's worse is the combat begins to glitch out worse as the game goes on. I'll go to attack a monster and my weapon goes right through the monster.
    The gameplay itself is just not fun in the least. I was constantly bored, and when I wasn't I was infuriated from the sheer frustration of not know what I'm supposed to do. Granted the other Silent Hills were similar in the fact that you had to really think to figure out a puzzle, but this gives you little-to-no clues whatsoever. The "mysteries" you pick up seem to have no relevance whatsoever to the game 90% of the time.
    I personally did not like all the side-quests you could do, I like Silent Hill to be a generally linear. You can only carry one weapon at a time. I guess it's supposed to add to the suspense? One gun, and one melee (or two guns if you care to try scouring the world for ammo)
    It's extremely gimicky, from balancing My BIGGEST problem with the game... You spend almost NO time in Otherworld. Out of the five hours of the game I played, I didn't even spend one hour in Otherworld.
    I was highly disappointed in the game, and regret ever spending the money for it. I caution anyone thinking of buying it.
  6. Jul 12, 2012
    Sandbox doesn't work for Silent Hill and reducing the Otherworld to a parkour track while brightly lighting everything up wasn't a good decision either. Combat feels good, stressful and not worth it, just like survival horror should. Murpy's Story is really good, but changes depending on the choices you make.
    Daniel Licht delivers a superb soundtrack, that's underused in the game. Long
    Daniel Licht delivers a superb soundtrack, that's underused in the game. Long passages will be silent! Why, Vatra, why? I had to turn my tv up to 900% percent to hear most of the background tracks.
    Lazy Monster design, glitches and fps drops deal the final blow to what could have been a good, even great game.
  7. Mar 15, 2012
    As said by others, this game is not deserving of its hype. Its game has horrible bugs and glitches that are so easy to find. The game has same very bad lags and full system lockups. It has terrible visual effects. (graphics are ok), the story is ok. The combat system is broken. Animations for using weapons make Murphy fly everywhere (as said by IGN as well), and sometimes in crowded areasAs said by others, this game is not deserving of its hype. Its game has horrible bugs and glitches that are so easy to find. The game has same very bad lags and full system lockups. It has terrible visual effects. (graphics are ok), the story is ok. The combat system is broken. Animations for using weapons make Murphy fly everywhere (as said by IGN as well), and sometimes in crowded areas the game slows down to an un enjoyable framerate per second. I agree with ccrogers15, he said it out right. This game never should of happened if this is how konami plans to lead on this once good series. This series WAS good, up until 4. After 4, we get games that are very unenjoyable. Book of memories is next, and oh god, im sure it will fail utterly. Konami, listen to your fans and PLEASE, develop silent hill 10 for us yourselfs. No more of this nonsence, or bring back the dev team who made Silent hill 1-4. Silent Hill 1-4 got all good reviews( silent hill 4 was lower), but the rest all got mixed reviews or completely panned (like origins). Come on konami. I took my copy back, and they gave me a refund at gamestop which is good. Im using the money for Silent Hill HD Collection, i suggest you should too, to avoid being disappointed by the worst silent hill ever made. Expand
  8. May 6, 2012
    Dead Rising without the zombies and a few puzzles. If you want to run up a flight of stairs for 10 minutes or keep getting harassed by screaming ghostly **** this is the game to get.
  9. Mar 24, 2012
    The game is "good" ( not excelent ) but many troubles makes fall down the experience, in particular too much bugs, glitches and the awfull frame-rate are unnaceptable for a game release in 2012 for powerfull consoles ! In ps1 SH1 works better, in ps2 SH2 and SH3 are excelent, ¿what happens now????? there is no excuse. I hope the technical problems will be repair, for exampleThe game is "good" ( not excelent ) but many troubles makes fall down the experience, in particular too much bugs, glitches and the awfull frame-rate are unnaceptable for a game release in 2012 for powerfull consoles ! In ps1 SH1 works better, in ps2 SH2 and SH3 are excelent, ¿what happens now????? there is no excuse. I hope the technical problems will be repair, for example with a DLC patch, if not, is impossible enjoy the game. SH HD collection seems be the real option for this year Expand
  10. Mar 13, 2012
    An attempt at silent hill gone wrong... again! Im gonna keep it simple, and just point out the flaws without mumbojumbo. This title has massive framerate drops, lags, and total lockups. (it is NOT my system. This is the ONLY game that does it on there.). The games animations are very amateur. You try to hit an enemy, and the weapon wont usually touch them and the character walks off on hisAn attempt at silent hill gone wrong... again! Im gonna keep it simple, and just point out the flaws without mumbojumbo. This title has massive framerate drops, lags, and total lockups. (it is NOT my system. This is the ONLY game that does it on there.). The games animations are very amateur. You try to hit an enemy, and the weapon wont usually touch them and the character walks off on his own while in combat. Next, the graphics. The graphics and models are pretty good, however visuals are sub par to a 2006 PS2 game. They were rushed. Monster design is horrible as well. The monsters are all similar looking to humans. Areas are very frustrating to navigate due to the choice of camera angle. The game is not at all scary, and its a very predictable game. I was very exited seeing Rely On Horrors downpour playthrough, and buying it i was happy. However only 5 mins into it after the starting scene, the game already started glitching out. I started having framerate drops and it even crashed on one of the roads for no reason. My friend on his system is having the very same issue. Im NOT saying this game is terrible, but it is not good either. Im mixed on the decision, so im giving it a 4/10. I will change my review IF they release a future patch to fix so many peoples issues. All the critics have rated it mixed or negative, and these fanboy silent hill downpour freaks keep rating the game all up. There insane. Read reviews from trusted critics like IGN, the games not terrible or good. A patch to fix the SEVERAL framerate drops, crashes, awkward pauses in voice overs, animation problems, etc... i will change my score. Until then, im taking it back to walmart, since walmart now refunds games in my state. Konami, do what others are saying and listen to us. Develop "in house" and stop getting these other amature developers to screw us over like usual. I have not seen a good silent hill at all since 3. 4 was ok, Origins was a massive low end graphics lagathon disaster, homecoming had a good premise but fell short of good, shattard memories was horrible,and this cuts the cake. Im worried now... im sure PSvitas SH BOM will not succeed as said before. Im still gonna try the demo on my vita... provided there is a demo. (if theres no demo, im not getting it). So guys, be warned when buying this game you will run into several issues. The story is very good though, and a true silent hill fan should totally check it out at least. Expand
  11. Mar 31, 2012
    Awful story plus past decade graphics and bugs, lots of bugs. An insult to the hardware of ps3 from an unknown developer. Finally an insult for costumers who are throwing their money into the trash can.
  12. Mar 13, 2012
    No suprise. for this poor scores ..i called this Konami! What is WRONG with the developers? SH1 was the best horror ever.SH2.SH3 is also very very great,and when everything starts to become bad!! I honestly wasnt expecting much about Silent Hill since the team of japan left this series. SHM, Silent Hill hasn't been Silent Hill in a LONG time /
  13. Mar 15, 2012
    Silent hill is coming to an end with downpour. Why cant konami just learn. We want true horror, not this crap. This is a horrible, boring game with several problems that make it literally unplayable. The game freezes randomly, lags constantly, the graphics glitch non stop, etc. Should i go on? SAVE YOUR MONEY, BUY RESIDENT EVIL OPERATION RACCOON CITY INSTEAD. This game is not true to theSilent hill is coming to an end with downpour. Why cant konami just learn. We want true horror, not this crap. This is a horrible, boring game with several problems that make it literally unplayable. The game freezes randomly, lags constantly, the graphics glitch non stop, etc. Should i go on? SAVE YOUR MONEY, BUY RESIDENT EVIL OPERATION RACCOON CITY INSTEAD. This game is not true to the series, it is the same fail thats been going on since 4.This is it, i am done. No more silent hill for me. Was considering getting the new BOM for my vita, but after this crap, and noticing BOM was top down, im gonna pass instead. Too bad. Taking it for a refund today. Expand
  14. Mar 13, 2012
    In my opinion this game is was a huge let down for franchise of Silent Hill.From a psychologically heavy survival horror with good dashes of symbolism and all things good - SH has now reverted to the mediocre " jason voorhes stily" horror game.. SHM,If you want to be scared, play Dead Space or replay one of the other Silent Hill games ( old Silent Hill). Do NOT buy Silent Hill "Donwpoor".In my opinion this game is was a huge let down for franchise of Silent Hill.From a psychologically heavy survival horror with good dashes of symbolism and all things good - SH has now reverted to the mediocre " jason voorhes stily" horror game.. SHM,If you want to be scared, play Dead Space or replay one of the other Silent Hill games ( old Silent Hill). Do NOT buy Silent Hill "Donwpoor". It is a MEDIOCRE game, It is a waste of $50.â Expand
  15. Aug 25, 2016
    Graphics are meh. Soundtrack is meh. The plot makes no sense. The combat is clunky. Monsters are uninspired. There are several technical issues such as framerate drops and freezing. The save system is awful. Its way of being original is to copy (badly) Silent Hill 2. Still, it's one of the best games post Silent Hill 4.
  16. Mar 19, 2017
    I seriously can not believe the scor this has gotten, this game is awefull. It has no atmosphere, none likeable caracters, not creepy at all, boring as **** and none silent hill feel. Silent hill is one of the greatest horror games ever and to see a travasty like this under it`s name is despicable, neve rplay this game.

1. Hyper Magazine
    May 14, 2012
    A remarkably ugly game. [June 2012, p.60]
    Silent Hill Downpourit's a good game, despite all of its flaws, but desperately needs new mechanics.
  3. Apr 29, 2012
    It may be a visually sound package that throws a few unique spins on the Silent Hill template, though the sometimes awkward puzzles and irredeemably abysmal combat are enough to drag Downpour down the gutter and towards mediocrity.