Silent Hill: Downpour PlayStation 3

6.9

1. Mar 17, 2017
    7.5 could be the correct score. Vatra games did something different. For bad. For good. But different. This game doesn't get the recognition it deserves yet. Maybe someday. Survival horror games are not about perfect technical aspects. And of course this is not a too scaaary game. But the world is lovely. And whatever has rain. I would be interested.
  2. Dec 12, 2016
    This game is absolutely fantastic and unfortunately way underrated everywhere. This game is horror and suspense, beauty and disturbing, hope and fear. Perfect
  3. Aug 25, 2016
    Graphics are meh. Soundtrack is meh. The plot makes no sense. The combat is clunky. Monsters are uninspired. There are several technical issues such as framerate drops and freezing. The save system is awful. Its way of being original is to copy (badly) Silent Hill 2. Still, it's one of the best games post Silent Hill 4.
  4. Apr 13, 2016
    Ok, I know that this game has serious problems with the framerate and it does that it plays uncomfortable, but... It´s the best Silent Hill from Silent Hill 1 and 2. The best ambiance, story and art direction. If you can forgive the horrible down of framerate you will play a the third great Silent Hill.
  5. Jun 30, 2015
    Downpour holds some great ideas, good visuals and fun gameplay (except the combat). I don't generally get scared by horror games but Downpour is terrifying but still makes me want to play more!!
  6. May 18, 2015
  7. May 13, 2015
    I disagree with brabb555. I am not a hardcore SH fan. the only SH game I played was 2 and I got locked out and quit the game to return to it later. And af far as Downpour goes. It has an amazing story but is hindered by shoddy gameplay. First, the sound is horrible. Murply has the same three different lines for taking a hit and gets old fast. You could have at most 8? And the soundtrack isI disagree with brabb555. I am not a hardcore SH fan. the only SH game I played was 2 and I got locked out and quit the game to return to it later. And af far as Downpour goes. It has an amazing story but is hindered by shoddy gameplay. First, the sound is horrible. Murply has the same three different lines for taking a hit and gets old fast. You could have at most 8? And the soundtrack is God Awful. Lichs knows how to ruin the ambience. he deliberately tries to (and fails) to replicate Yamaoka's style rather than generating his own tone of eerie ambience. As for the physics, Murphy's animations are horrible, doubly-so when SWINGING a weapon. Look at the Axe/Rake animation, the punching animation and the knife/cleaver animations. They all make it seem as if Murphy's disjointed, basically the only thing that moves in said animation(s) is his arms, not his shoulders, not his upper body, and even his waist never budges an inch. Honestly, if having a motion capture actor that FOREIGN to you??!
    And also when you try to scale staircases while being sucked up by the red-blackhole and he'll just stand still and not move, just that annoying scream.
  8. Jan 26, 2015
    I played this in 3D and not new to the series. The pace of the game lends itself very well to 3D (few opportunities to blur) and there were times where this really engrossed me. Gameplay, use of the open world, side quests and ending were all very disappointing elements.

Positives: I got lost in th the 3D moment and the atmosphere, this was the greatest positive of this title. Story

Positives:
    I got lost in th the 3D moment and the atmosphere, this was the greatest positive of this title. Story was quite good. I liked the idea of perishable weapons as a major element of gameplay.

Negatives:
    Combat was exceptionally clunky, I was yelling at the game regarding collision detection when trying to get around enemies a lot. Once you put your 'psx era collision detection hat' on its not really a problem.

Side quests were fully optional, I would have liked To see some integration into story better.
  9. Jun 5, 2014
    Okay, SIlent hill is recognized worldwide to be a complete survival horror franchise, but this game is out of place, this game don't deserve to be called Silent Hill. I found this game kind of interesting at first, and i know that this release retains at least some of the "true horror", but it's only a very small portion. I found this game bad designed, you don't have a decent weapon inOkay, SIlent hill is recognized worldwide to be a complete survival horror franchise, but this game is out of place, this game don't deserve to be called Silent Hill. I found this game kind of interesting at first, and i know that this release retains at least some of the "true horror", but it's only a very small portion. I found this game bad designed, you don't have a decent weapon in all the **** game! The bullets you can find are only few and are not even enough to kill the half of the enemies that appears. The original silent hill have twice or three times the ammount of ammo and weapons. Imagine this situation, shooting enemies is very cool, but you are obligated to use melee weapons over and over again, like the axe, the combat is very repetitive and lame. Sometimes there's no horror at all, the open world just sucks. This game should be linear like the first silent hill. What the hell happened with the inventory design? looks like the design is too generic. This "game" dissapoints me in almost every way, and i think the Silent Hill franchise is almost dead, PLEASE SOMEONE BRING BACK THE SURVIVAL HORROR TO SILENT HILL. Expand
  10. Feb 12, 2014
    One of the more under rated games out there, adding an exploration aspect as well as different side quests to go along with the main story is a welcome sight to the Silent Hill series. Would definitely like to see more survival horror games created with this aspect.
  11. Nov 20, 2013
    Lo primero que me impactó, desagradablemente, fueron los bugs de relentizaciones escalonadas, impensables en un juego de Playstation 3, unos bugs que joden muchisimo, bueno ni que decir tiene que eso le resta muchisima credebilidad al juego, sobre los graficos...cumplen, no es nada del otro mundo, pero pueden mejorar, el sonido es lo mejor del juego, la musica y las voces y gritos duranteLo primero que me impactó, desagradablemente, fueron los bugs de relentizaciones escalonadas, impensables en un juego de Playstation 3, unos bugs que joden muchisimo, bueno ni que decir tiene que eso le resta muchisima credebilidad al juego, sobre los graficos...cumplen, no es nada del otro mundo, pero pueden mejorar, el sonido es lo mejor del juego, la musica y las voces y gritos durante el juego llegan a impactar bastante, lo del maletin arriba y lo lento que es al elegir lo que quieres utilizar, es algo que te llega a irritar bastante, el modo historia empieza espectacular, pero a lo largo de la historia se desinfla totalmente, el ambiente del juego te mete en la historia y hay verdaderos momentos de miedo, el juego en si cumple bastante mas de lo que llegue a pensar en un principio, superando a muchos de miedo, pero el juego al final se vuelve algo tosco y sin sentido, haciendo que la tematica se vuelva algo estupida e irrelevante, la jugabilidad es penosa, los monstruos te pegan siempre, te cubras o no, tu les das una vez cuando ellos ya te dieron tres, algo penoso para un juego de Playstation 3, dicho esto, termino mi analisis diciendo que si quieres pasar miedo, este juego no te decepcionara. Expand
  12. Nov 7, 2013
    an underrated game for sure, although it may have it's flaws, when it comes to gameplay, it makes up for in top notch voice over, horrific atmosphere and A chilling soundtrack.
  13. Aug 23, 2013
    This is another franchise that changed, and everybody suddenly hates it.
    This SH game is one of the best in a wave of mediocrity, and I wish Book Of Memories could have learned from it.
    This is another franchise that changed, and everybody suddenly hates it.
    The gameplay is third person, but Vatra managed to keep it clunky enough to be a horror game, but not frustratingly bad. The enemies are a little generic, but most relate to Murphy's psyche. Murphy is actually quite an interesting character, and your ending changes what really happened to him, as his backstory is kept mysterious to the player. The town of Silent Hill looks fantastic, and is exactly how SH should look.
    The sidequests are fun and varied, but the rewards aren't all that great (Apart from a trophy, a gun or a melee weapon's all you get) The combat is awkward, but that's what makes it tense. Murphy isn't a good shot with a gun either. The story is very good, although it did confuse me on my first playthrough.
    My only real complaints are the infamous framerate and glitches.
    Apart from that, this is one of my favourite SH games.
  14. Aug 4, 2013
    Firstly I found this game very annoying, but now now I'm starting to like it after I gave it a chance. The combat system is terrible but hey its silent hill!
  15. Jul 20, 2013
    This is the worst piece of silent hill series I have ever met. Traditionally silent hill is not focused on combat, but in this series combat is very hard to avoid. Unfortunately, the combat control is just a master piece of crap, which end up in missing attack frequently.

Besides, the enemy design is extremely bad. Generally, the enemy in silent hill represents a dark, horror, or any negative emotion or memory buried deeply inside the heart of character. That's not the case in this installment. Most of the enemies in this series are just zombie-like creatures, who are very good at combat. Yes, just imagine you are fighting a lot of zombie martialist. That just ruin the atmosphere already.

Further, the side quests are completely non-sense, boring and have no relationship with the story plot. Also, the rewards are not great, as you generally will keep on losing items obtained as the story progresses.

There are not too many characters in this series, but the description about them are also not that much as well. So, the story plot is quite easy to guess, and with not much to expect as the story goes. The characters are just not as attractive as others in other silent hill series.

The only thing shine is that there are different endings based on player choice, but the most significant factor is based on the kill count of player, which is an extremely poor execution.

Overall, the story is boring and side quests are dull. The enemy design is the worst, and you are forced to fight them with a crappy combat system. Better not waste your time to play this game.
  16. Jun 23, 2013
    Downpour tried and failed to be a true SH game. The most frustrating thing about Silent Hill Downpour isn't the lousy combat, dull exploration, or even the technical gaffes. SH downpour's story is stupid and confusing(not in the good way. You can't make any sense in it), technical issues are every where, bugs.. The game provides few good scenes and tries to create something new(example:Downpour tried and failed to be a true SH game. The most frustrating thing about Silent Hill Downpour isn't the lousy combat, dull exploration, or even the technical gaffes. SH downpour's story is stupid and confusing(not in the good way. You can't make any sense in it), technical issues are every where, bugs.. The game provides few good scenes and tries to create something new(example: rain replaces fog). But in the end you don't want to visit this town. Expand
  17. Jun 20, 2013
    Pros: Genuinely scary, with a very tense and foreboding atmosphere. Classic Silent Hill combat, puzzles, and exploration. Fans of the series will likely enjoy this game.

Cons: Poor musical score, the absence of Akira Yamaoka's composition is disappointing. Side missions are generally uninteresting and not very rewarding. Storyline is very good but not great. Other: Make sure your

Other: Make sure your brightness setting is set correctly in the game or you will not get the full experience.
  18. Jun 17, 2013
    Exploring Murphy's head and uncovering is story was great, some unexpected story twists helped the plot too. This is one of my favorite Silent Hill game and i don't matter the critic score, or people saying this series is dead. I believe that with this awesome game it will recover and i still wish for a Silent Hill game with the quality of the second or the third. This one really beatsExploring Murphy's head and uncovering is story was great, some unexpected story twists helped the plot too. This is one of my favorite Silent Hill game and i don't matter the critic score, or people saying this series is dead. I believe that with this awesome game it will recover and i still wish for a Silent Hill game with the quality of the second or the third. This one really beats Silent Hill Homecoming. Only bad thing in this game was some technical problems like glitches and incredibly messed auto saving loading. But it is a 8 in my opinion would be 9 but i take 1 point due to the technical problems (0.5 points) and for the bad design of some monsters and the lack of epic boss fights that we had in previous games (0.5 points). Expand
  19. May 17, 2013
    IN DEPTH, LONG REVIEW:

IN DEPTH, LONG REVIEW:

In Silent Hill Downpour, you play as convict Murphy Pendleton. Though you don't know why he's in prison, you do see that he deserves to be there. After a particularly brutal scene in a shower that serves as the game's combat tutorial, Murphy is being transferred to another prison when the bus transporting him and a half dozen or so other inmates crashes and tumbles down the side of a hill. Unfortunately for Murphy, this takes him into the dreary monster infested town of Silent Hill.

It may sound like a simple start to a story, and that's because it is. The beauty of this opening is that, much like Silent Hill 1 & 2, you don't have to know the lore of Silent Hill. You don't have to know its tropes, its back story, or anything about it at all, really. All you have to know is that you're Murphy Pendleton, and strange things are afoot in the quaint titular town.

This is all the exposition needed, and it lets itself be known from the beginning. The way this story is told is absolutely excellent. Instead of having cutscene after cutscene after cutscene, you piece most of it together yourself through different newspaper articles, in-game storytelling and your own wit. It's quite simply one of the best executions of storytelling I've seen in any video game ever. Period.

Story isn't all that's here, though. While it may be one of the huge draws to the game for me, personally, the gameplay here is just as good as any Silent Hill deemed a classic. You wander through the beautifully rendered yet unnerving town with one simple objective; Escape from Silent Hill. Things aren't so simple, though. Most roads are closed off, or worse, simply missing; leaving nothing but an impossible chasm in the distance. As Murphy, you have to traverse your way through this meticulously detailed town to escape. That's your motivation, and with monsters, black hole entities wanting to swallow you, and characters that would seem "off" to any sane person, it's quite a good goal for Murphy and in turn, the player, to have.

Thankfully since this town, while not exactly huge, is extensively detailed, you'll have a blast exploring, solving puzzles, collecting items and searching for that perfect weapon to take down the, admittedly, terribly designed monsters with.

Even with poor monster design, the game is absolutely filled to the brim with frightening moments. From monsters jump scares to the eerie sounds of cries in sparsely lit apartment buildings, there are a lot of moments packed in that either made my skin crawl or jump out of my seat. This used to be a normal occurrence in the PS1 days, but the reason it's so noteworthy here is because horror games simply aren't made like this anymore. The atmosphere is downright creepy, and sometimes you really will feel unnerved. This is what survival horror is supposed to feel like, and I applaud Konami for taking this direction with the series again.

Downpour feels like, if anything, a modernized version of the first 3 Silent Hill games with a much more realistic behaving protagonist. Through playing, Murphy will say things that you, the player, are probably thinking yourself. He gets frustrated when the oddball cast of characters aren't being straight with him, curious when it comes to puzzles, or absolutely frightened when a monster jumps out at him. This is extremely effective, since I felt I haven't empathized with a character in a Silent Hill game this much, ever. I felt bad for Harry in the first game. I thought James, in the end, was a bad person in the second game. Murphy Pendleton ended up being one of my favorite Silent Hill protagonists of all time due to this reason, and VATRA games deserves to be credited for all of their amazing work on this guy.

The game, as a whole, looks great. The lighting effects are gorgeous, as are the main character models. Murphy himself moves realistically, and even the way his clothes move (particularly his prison outfit in the beginning of the game) looks absolutely wonderful. It's a very realistic look that payed off.
    However, in taking that realistic design choice, parts of the game get the short end of the stick. The framerate for instance, in particular areas can literally stutter along. Texture pop in is commonplace. The former can become quite a problem, even leading to some freezes, but the latter, not so much. Much like the bad monster design, these are terrible blemishes on an otherwise near-perfect survival horror outing.

Silent Hill Downpour is a game that deserves to be played. It quickly seems to be fading into obscurity, and it seems people are willing to dismiss it based on the merit that it's a newer Silent Hill game, but even with its problems and bad reputation, Silent Hill downpour is the only new classic feeling survival horror game I've played within at least 5 or more years.

With outright amazing storytelling and a dauntingly detailed world, Downpour is going to live on as an underrated cult classic.
  20. Jan 26, 2013
    The characters of Silent Hill: Downpour are Murphy Pendleton (David Boyd Konrad), a prison inmate who has been incarcerated for several years in a correctional facility for stealing a police cruiser and crossing state borders. Officer Anne Cunningham (Kristin Price), who holds a grudge against Murphy; corrections officer George Sewell (Joel Bernard), a corrupt man who uses his position toThe characters of Silent Hill: Downpour are Murphy Pendleton (David Boyd Konrad), a prison inmate who has been incarcerated for several years in a correctional facility for stealing a police cruiser and crossing state borders. Officer Anne Cunningham (Kristin Price), who holds a grudge against Murphy; corrections officer George Sewell (Joel Bernard), a corrupt man who uses his position to get away with murder; Corrections officer Frank Coleridge (Leer Leery), an honest man who sees good in Murphy; and Pat Napier (John Grace), Murphy's former neighbor, a pedophile and child killer.
    Murphy Pendleton makes a deal with corrupt officer George Sewell to gain access to sequestered pedophile, Pat Napier, and murder him. Later, Murphy is sent to another penitentiary under the supervision of officer Anne Cunningham. The transport vehicle is forced to swerve off road to avoid a chasm in the road. Which happens to crash in to the town of Silent Hill, a town where fear and torment are inescapable.
    In my opinion it actually feels more like a movie, but fits the dark and gritty Silent Hill series.

The controls in Downpour feels like it's dated, the combat is usually very hard and clunky, but the clunky part feels right for Murphy, I mean he is not a trained mercenary. Most of the enemies feel like creatures I have seen in other games. There is lots of sidequests to take to keep you going for a couple of hours, and puzzles which usually takes time to figure out.

It certainly looks good for an 2012 game, but it does not play very well. Every save point the screen tears, it has few notable lags that will annoy you, and even textures takes their time popping in. This isn't as much of a problem on the Xbox 360 though. Silent Hill looks as it should, broken down and abandoned, and of course the gorgeus lightning effects helps to build the fantastic atmosphere. The sound in Downpour is the greatest part of the game. It sets an atmosphere that you cannot compare to any other game in the series. Voice acting is also great, for the most part, some characters just feel like dead stereotypes. Soundtrack in the game are masterfully executed by Daniel Licht.

Silent hill begs to be explored in Downpour. When you have finished your first playthrough and begin your second one, you can find stuff from your first, cool (and unlocks the trophy/achievment diggin' up the past). You can turn up puzzle dificulty to make it more intriguing. Downpour should be played at least twice, as there is several endings.

Vatra games could have waited and polished Downpour a little more before releasing it, but it has done what I was hoping for, it has restored the cold sweaty fear to the series, that feeling you get that someone is always following you around. Downpour isn't beautiful and it has some technical difficulties (Mostly with the PS3), but it does tell an amazing story and will put you on the edge of your seat. Even with all it's flaws, it's still a path worth treading.
  21. Jan 15, 2013
    I'm not going to lie and say this game is perfect, but I definitely think it deserves more credit than it's given. Downpour takes an interesting direction with the franchise by opening the world up greatly. The semi-open world is filled to the brim with depression and melancholy. Some people may find the game simply boring since exploration is very slow-paced. You can't exactly run aroundI'm not going to lie and say this game is perfect, but I definitely think it deserves more credit than it's given. Downpour takes an interesting direction with the franchise by opening the world up greatly. The semi-open world is filled to the brim with depression and melancholy. Some people may find the game simply boring since exploration is very slow-paced. You can't exactly run around like you would in a sandbox game like GTA or an RPG like Skyrim. There's a pseudo fast-travel system via subway stations that takes you to the few major hubs (major as far as Silent Hill Downpour goes). One thing they haven't failed to do is create a sense of complete loneliness as you play. Yes you encounter other people in the game, but the moments are so fleeting; and once they're gone, the dreadful loneliness sets back in immediately. To me this is one of the major calling cards for Silent Hill and I'm glad they haven't abandoned it. Overall, the developers took a rather simplistic approach with the new features, and I think they did a good job. There are things I do dislike about this game. Visually it's not top-notch, which isn't an issue for me, but their liberal use of sun shafts (which are extremely low quality) definitely have an adverse effect on the visuals. Looking up where the sun "appears" to be creates these awfully low resolution, low-precision rays of light. I feel like ever since the original Crysis came out, other developers just slap sun shafts in their games and call it realistic. It only looks realistic when it looks believable. Yes the thick fog in Silent Hill would definitely allow for sun shafts to exist in the real world, but the sun shafts need to LOOK real to begin with. They just look awful in this game. Apart from the visuals, the combat is wonky. Shooting isn't really bad to be honest. I don't expect it to be 1:1 since Murphy probably isn't proficient with firearms to begin with. That's why they have the moving crosshair to emulate that he doesn't have a steady hand when aiming. Still, it's fairly easy to hit your target. Melee combat is where it gets wonky, but it still works. I think it works far better than it did in Homecoming. It just gets old after a while. I highly recommend you put both puzzle and game difficulty to Hard. You should also do yourself a favor and try and go for the "Good Behavior" achievement where you don't kill any monsters. It'll provide a huge challenge and you won't have to deal with the wonky melee combat as much. Anyway, another issue I have has to do with exploring. I love exploring Silent Hill because of the melancholic atmosphere it boasts. The problem is...Murphy is extremely slow. You can "run" but it's hardly any faster than walking. The fast travel is there but it's very minimal, not to mention it takes a while to actually gain access to it. It's not like Skyrim where you open a map and pick a location and you teleport. You literally have to walk to a subway station and ride a train. I like how it's integrated in to the game, but you only really use it to get to a different hub area. Actually exploring a hub area can be tedious because of how slow Murphy moves. If they made him move as fast as he does while engaging a monster, it would make exploring ten times better. Regardless, once you discover a new secret or a new house to enter, you feel rewarded. I also love the little mysteries they put in to the game that you can solve. They give the series a bit more depth. Rather than being solely horror, it adds an element of mystery to the series that I think goes hand in hand. The last major issue I have with this game is how they implemented the whole alternate world aspect that the series has always had. They're mostly boring chase scenes and you don't really get to actually explore. Not to mention the visuals are rather boring to be honest. Some of the level design appears to be very situational and thoughtless at times. I loved how in Homecoming (and all the other games for that matter) the alternate world actually resembled the real world architecturally. In Downpour the alternate world is way more farfetched and odd, not to mention totally NOT scary in the least. This is probably where I was most disappointed with the game. Needless to say, it didn't keep me from enjoying the game as a whole. I do recommend this game, especially now since it's cheap. I got it for $18 used at Best Buy. Totally worth it. Expand
  22. Jan 4, 2013
    This is my first Silent Hill game, I typically avoid survival-horror games like this because I am a huge chicken, but I've decided that I'm going to toughen up and play some scary games darn it! Downpour proved to be a great place to start because it was just scary enough for me to get into without having to sleep with a light on and preparing me for what the scarier games can do. I wasThis is my first Silent Hill game, I typically avoid survival-horror games like this because I am a huge chicken, but I've decided that I'm going to toughen up and play some scary games darn it! Downpour proved to be a great place to start because it was just scary enough for me to get into without having to sleep with a light on and preparing me for what the scarier games can do. I was sucked in by the awesome story and incredible setting, learning about why Murphy (the main character) was sent to prison and why he is now in Silent Hill kept me hooked until the end dying to know what is going on, and the town of Silent Hill is so interesting and creepy has me wanting to through all the other games just to find out more about it's dark secrets. I have to praise Vatra for making this a treat to the ears, every little sound spooked me, and some would stop me dead in my tracks. While I enjoyed my time is Silent Hill I have to admit it wasn't perfect do to the clunky gameplay. The games puzzles are fine, but it stumbles with it's combat, exploration, and side-quests. Combat works it's just not interesting and I literally only came across 5 different kinds of enemies, 6 if you count the wall spitters (which I don't).The exploration is interesting but there's not many places to go and barriers seem to be everywhere making it feel restrictive. The side-quests are where I believe the game falters most, several of them are scattered across the town but for most of them your never given the whole picture, you wander around town stumble up on something only to find out you can't progress the quest because you haven't found all the clues which can be in a whole other section of the town, it's like buying a puzzle only to find out most of the pieces to it are hidden in other stores, and do to this I was only able to complete a few of them. So Downpour isn't perfect, but I still did enjoy it. It's a frightening game backed by some truly enjoyable content. If your thinking about playing through this i recommend it even with it's flaws, and I can't wait to make a return to Silent Hill in the future. Expand
  23. Dec 27, 2012
    Silent Hill DownPour is a good game of horror and also a classic,it has great jumpscares and great graphics even for a horror game like this,so who ever wants to play a good Horror game Silent Hill DownPour is the perfect one !!!
  24. Nov 15, 2012
    Its the best looking Silent Hill thus far, but its not without some issues. This game is by no means perfect. At times, its far from it. However with a strang and engaging story to follow, with the good ole Silent Hill twists, this game manages to deliver.

Pros: Great Visuals. The best this series has had. Also showcase of the world changing to the other form, similar to the movies. A

Pros:
    Great Visuals. The best this series has had.
    Also showcase of the world changing to the other form, similar to the movies. A solid combat system with a large variety of weapons.
    A new flashlight system that is vary adaptable.
    Great use of sound to add to the fear.
    Nods to past games. Always a plus in my book.
    A great use of main narrative and side characters to help the story along.

Cons:
    Glitches, Bugs, Lags. The game can get a little jumpy at times and feel like a lag for a single player game.
    Enemy designs arnt the best for some.
    Item management. Why do you need 2 pistols? why not just be able to take the ammo from one so you can keep a weapon slot ready.

Over all, I am liking this game alot, even with its issues. It may not be perfect, but for any Silent Hill fan, its worth a play. Buy it or dont buy it. I know where I stand.
  25. Nov 9, 2012
    Amazing game! Great atmosphere, creepy and funny, wonderful plot, no more framerate problems (patch), so, what I gotta say, WALCOME TO SILENT HILL!!!!
  26. Sep 21, 2012
    Silent hill games are touch and go, some are great, some are poor. Downpour, in my opinion has some very good, and some very bad points. I played the game on hard, which really tests your puzzle skills and searching in the dark for a small key that you need, but you don't want to go in to the dark is a great tense feeling, which did actually improve the experience for me. There is also noSilent hill games are touch and go, some are great, some are poor. Downpour, in my opinion has some very good, and some very bad points. I played the game on hard, which really tests your puzzle skills and searching in the dark for a small key that you need, but you don't want to go in to the dark is a great tense feeling, which did actually improve the experience for me. There is also no hand holding on hard mode. Pros: great classic SH style puzzles, several disturbing environments and scenery, great SH town structure and travelling between locations. Cons: technical glitches (screen would literally freeze and jump at some points), texture popping, story is not fluent (the game starts with a good story set up, then nothing until the end of the game...), monsters are not scary and are repetitive, stand out/freaky moments are quite limited. Overall: I loved the town of SH and the open world set up works really well, you can go to any location and start any side quest as you see fit, or don't do any, it is up to you how far you delve in to the town of SH and its residents. Enemies are boring, and fight patterns are repetitive, and the story is near enough none existent until the end, which is a shame. Graphical glitches hold it back a lot too, but i've heard that its better on the xbox. Does this game have the Silent Hill feel though? yes it does for me, and for that fact, i found it enjoyable to play! If your looking for the next Silent Hill, then pick this up, but be aware, its not as polished as you would hope and some key elements are missing, but still a great, enjoyable play! Expand
  27. Aug 23, 2012
    SH Downpour is a fun,creepy and sometimes scary game. The story, voice acting and soundtrack are great.
    I noticed that most reviewers were complaining about the combat controls, I personally found nothing wrong with them they are primitive but they work. The game adopts a open world kind of feel with side quests and secrets and it feels fresh. I also like the rain mechanic like if it rains their are more monsters on the streets so it's a good idea to find shelter in a nearby building. It's not a perfect game it suffers from technical difficulties and some poor textures however if you like Silent Hill or survival horror games you have to check it out.
  28. Jul 17, 2012
    Silent Hill has never been about advanced combat mechanics, stylish gameplay or flashy graphics. It's always been about story, characters, art direction and the dark atmosphere. This game is what a Silent Hill is supposed to be and it delivers in all the elements that make this series so unforgettable. It's quite puzzling how Homecoming was butchered for not sticking with the Silent HillSilent Hill has never been about advanced combat mechanics, stylish gameplay or flashy graphics. It's always been about story, characters, art direction and the dark atmosphere. This game is what a Silent Hill is supposed to be and it delivers in all the elements that make this series so unforgettable. It's quite puzzling how Homecoming was butchered for not sticking with the Silent Hill classic gameplay yet those same professional sites trash this game to death for not "evolving" to the standards they are now used to. Trust me on this one, if you have followed this series for a long time, or you value an adult, dark and well told story, you won't be disappointed. My advice: do not take game reviews from sites like IGN as absolute, indisputable and correct in every way, reviews provide a single opinion or perspective (this review does it as well), so I prefer to try things myself to make up my mind. Expand
  29. Jul 12, 2012
    Sandbox doesn't work for Silent Hill and reducing the Otherworld to a parkour track while brightly lighting everything up wasn't a good decision either. Combat feels good, stressful and not worth it, just like survival horror should. Murpy's Story is really good, but changes depending on the choices you make.
    Daniel Licht delivers a superb soundtrack, that's underused in the game. Long
    Daniel Licht delivers a superb soundtrack, that's underused in the game. Long passages will be silent! Why, Vatra, why? I had to turn my tv up to 900% percent to hear most of the background tracks.
    Lazy Monster design, glitches and fps drops deal the final blow to what could have been a good, even great game.

1. Hyper Magazine
    May 14, 2012
    A remarkably ugly game. [June 2012, p.60]
    Silent Hill Downpourit's a good game, despite all of its flaws, but desperately needs new mechanics.
  3. Apr 29, 2012
    It may be a visually sound package that throws a few unique spins on the Silent Hill template, though the sometimes awkward puzzles and irredeemably abysmal combat are enough to drag Downpour down the gutter and towards mediocrity.