Silent Hill: Downpour PlayStation 3

6.9

1. Nov 20, 2013
    Lo primero que me impactó, desagradablemente, fueron los bugs de relentizaciones escalonadas, impensables en un juego de Playstation 3, unos bugs que joden muchisimo, bueno ni que decir tiene que eso le resta muchisima credebilidad al juego, sobre los graficos...cumplen, no es nada del otro mundo, pero pueden mejorar, el sonido es lo mejor del juego, la musica y las voces y gritos duranteLo primero que me impactó, desagradablemente, fueron los bugs de relentizaciones escalonadas, impensables en un juego de Playstation 3, unos bugs que joden muchisimo, bueno ni que decir tiene que eso le resta muchisima credebilidad al juego, sobre los graficos...cumplen, no es nada del otro mundo, pero pueden mejorar, el sonido es lo mejor del juego, la musica y las voces y gritos durante el juego llegan a impactar bastante, lo del maletin arriba y lo lento que es al elegir lo que quieres utilizar, es algo que te llega a irritar bastante, el modo historia empieza espectacular, pero a lo largo de la historia se desinfla totalmente, el ambiente del juego te mete en la historia y hay verdaderos momentos de miedo, el juego en si cumple bastante mas de lo que llegue a pensar en un principio, superando a muchos de miedo, pero el juego al final se vuelve algo tosco y sin sentido, haciendo que la tematica se vuelva algo estupida e irrelevante, la jugabilidad es penosa, los monstruos te pegan siempre, te cubras o no, tu les das una vez cuando ellos ya te dieron tres, algo penoso para un juego de Playstation 3, dicho esto, termino mi analisis diciendo que si quieres pasar miedo, este juego no te decepcionara. Expand
  2. Jun 17, 2013
    Exploring Murphy's head and uncovering is story was great, some unexpected story twists helped the plot too. This is one of my favorite Silent Hill game and i don't matter the critic score, or people saying this series is dead. I believe that with this awesome game it will recover and i still wish for a Silent Hill game with the quality of the second or the third. This one really beatsExploring Murphy's head and uncovering is story was great, some unexpected story twists helped the plot too. This is one of my favorite Silent Hill game and i don't matter the critic score, or people saying this series is dead. I believe that with this awesome game it will recover and i still wish for a Silent Hill game with the quality of the second or the third. This one really beats Silent Hill Homecoming. Only bad thing in this game was some technical problems like glitches and incredibly messed auto saving loading. But it is a 8 in my opinion would be 9 but i take 1 point due to the technical problems (0.5 points) and for the bad design of some monsters and the lack of epic boss fights that we had in previous games (0.5 points). Expand
  3. Mar 16, 2012
    Some gameplay elements are taken from the previous few instalments. Most notably is from Silent Hill Homecoming, and a few things from Silent Hill Shattered Memories, such as the over the shoulder chase scenes that were common in memories. It also brings back a few cool things, like the loved classic fixed camera angle. The graphics are by far the best in the series at this time. Sure,Some gameplay elements are taken from the previous few instalments. Most notably is from Silent Hill Homecoming, and a few things from Silent Hill Shattered Memories, such as the over the shoulder chase scenes that were common in memories. It also brings back a few cool things, like the loved classic fixed camera angle. The graphics are by far the best in the series at this time. Sure, visual effects suck big ones, but still, its got some great graphics...The sounds are sometimes creepy, voice acting is very well done, and gunshots sound realistic. But monster sounds and the soundtrack is horrible. Kinda sad that akira could not provide his music this time... and they only allowed mary to do 1 track... hmm... and korn sucks big ones... i did not like the soundtrack.Some of the story is boring at first, but really, starts getting interesting later. Its also kinda sad when you uncover things about murphys deceased little boy... And depending on the end, its nice to see Anne and Murphy become friends.This is a very good change from the previous disappointing titles we got in the series, (Origins, Shattered Memories and Homecoming...), and the story is by far on par with Silent Hill 2 and 3. Expand
  4. Apr 13, 2016
    Ok, I know that this game has serious problems with the framerate and it does that it plays uncomfortable, but... It´s the best Silent Hill from Silent Hill 1 and 2. The best ambiance, story and art direction. If you can forgive the horrible down of framerate you will play a the third great Silent Hill.
  5. Mar 15, 2012
    Thanks konami for making this awesome game!!!!!!!!!! One of the best game ever!! Konami is the best publisher ever, i love japan and i love konami and i love konami game like silent hill, pes
  6. Mar 13, 2012
    Great game.. I think its the best one in the series since Silent hill 2,3 , the graphics are kinda good, combat is OK , and the game is scaries than Dead Space. and while the game have some technial issues/bug, i still think its an amazing game.

PS: i had to give this game a perfect 10 to counter all those trolls one the forums that said they will rate this game 0 , my real score is 8/10
  7. Nov 7, 2013
    an underrated game for sure, although it may have it's flaws, when it comes to gameplay, it makes up for in top notch voice over, horrific atmosphere and A chilling soundtrack.
  8. Mar 13, 2012
    Awesome game.. While its not as good as old Silent hill games its a step in the right direction, and btw that is not my real score i only give it 10 because some people on the forums are saying they will rate this game 0 to lower its user score, i gave it a 8.5/10
  9. Mar 17, 2017
    7.5 could be the correct score. Vatra games did something different. For bad. For good. But different. This game doesn't get the recognition it deserves yet. Maybe someday. Survival horror games are not about perfect technical aspects. And of course this is not a too scaaary game. But the world is lovely. And whatever has rain. I would be interested.
  10. May 17, 2013
    IN DEPTH, LONG REVIEW:

IN DEPTH, LONG REVIEW:

In Silent Hill Downpour, you play as convict Murphy Pendleton. Though you don't know why he's in prison, you do see that he deserves to be there. After a particularly brutal scene in a shower that serves as the game's combat tutorial, Murphy is being transferred to another prison when the bus transporting him and a half dozen or so other inmates crashes and tumbles down the side of a hill. Unfortunately for Murphy, this takes him into the dreary monster infested town of Silent Hill.

It may sound like a simple start to a story, and that's because it is. The beauty of this opening is that, much like Silent Hill 1 & 2, you don't have to know the lore of Silent Hill. You don't have to know its tropes, its back story, or anything about it at all, really. All you have to know is that you're Murphy Pendleton, and strange things are afoot in the quaint titular town.

This is all the exposition needed, and it lets itself be known from the beginning. The way this story is told is absolutely excellent. Instead of having cutscene after cutscene after cutscene, you piece most of it together yourself through different newspaper articles, in-game storytelling and your own wit. It's quite simply one of the best executions of storytelling I've seen in any video game ever. Period.

Story isn't all that's here, though. While it may be one of the huge draws to the game for me, personally, the gameplay here is just as good as any Silent Hill deemed a classic. You wander through the beautifully rendered yet unnerving town with one simple objective; Escape from Silent Hill. Things aren't so simple, though. Most roads are closed off, or worse, simply missing; leaving nothing but an impossible chasm in the distance. As Murphy, you have to traverse your way through this meticulously detailed town to escape. That's your motivation, and with monsters, black hole entities wanting to swallow you, and characters that would seem "off" to any sane person, it's quite a good goal for Murphy and in turn, the player, to have.

Thankfully since this town, while not exactly huge, is extensively detailed, you'll have a blast exploring, solving puzzles, collecting items and searching for that perfect weapon to take down the, admittedly, terribly designed monsters with.

Even with poor monster design, the game is absolutely filled to the brim with frightening moments. From monsters jump scares to the eerie sounds of cries in sparsely lit apartment buildings, there are a lot of moments packed in that either made my skin crawl or jump out of my seat. This used to be a normal occurrence in the PS1 days, but the reason it's so noteworthy here is because horror games simply aren't made like this anymore. The atmosphere is downright creepy, and sometimes you really will feel unnerved. This is what survival horror is supposed to feel like, and I applaud Konami for taking this direction with the series again.

Downpour feels like, if anything, a modernized version of the first 3 Silent Hill games with a much more realistic behaving protagonist. Through playing, Murphy will say things that you, the player, are probably thinking yourself. He gets frustrated when the oddball cast of characters aren't being straight with him, curious when it comes to puzzles, or absolutely frightened when a monster jumps out at him. This is extremely effective, since I felt I haven't empathized with a character in a Silent Hill game this much, ever. I felt bad for Harry in the first game. I thought James, in the end, was a bad person in the second game. Murphy Pendleton ended up being one of my favorite Silent Hill protagonists of all time due to this reason, and VATRA games deserves to be credited for all of their amazing work on this guy.

The game, as a whole, looks great. The lighting effects are gorgeous, as are the main character models. Murphy himself moves realistically, and even the way his clothes move (particularly his prison outfit in the beginning of the game) looks absolutely wonderful. It's a very realistic look that payed off.
    However, in taking that realistic design choice, parts of the game get the short end of the stick. The framerate for instance, in particular areas can literally stutter along. Texture pop in is commonplace. The former can become quite a problem, even leading to some freezes, but the latter, not so much. Much like the bad monster design, these are terrible blemishes on an otherwise near-perfect survival horror outing.

Silent Hill Downpour is a game that deserves to be played. It quickly seems to be fading into obscurity, and it seems people are willing to dismiss it based on the merit that it's a newer Silent Hill game, but even with its problems and bad reputation, Silent Hill downpour is the only new classic feeling survival horror game I've played within at least 5 or more years.

With outright amazing storytelling and a dauntingly detailed world, Downpour is going to live on as an underrated cult classic.
  11. Aug 23, 2013
    This is another franchise that changed, and everybody suddenly hates it.
    This SH game is one of the best in a wave of mediocrity, and I wish Book Of Memories could have learned from it.
    This is another franchise that changed, and everybody suddenly hates it.
    The gameplay is third person, but Vatra managed to keep it clunky enough to be a horror game, but not frustratingly bad. The enemies are a little generic, but most relate to Murphy's psyche. Murphy is actually quite an interesting character, and your ending changes what really happened to him, as his backstory is kept mysterious to the player. The town of Silent Hill looks fantastic, and is exactly how SH should look.
    The sidequests are fun and varied, but the rewards aren't all that great (Apart from a trophy, a gun or a melee weapon's all you get) The combat is awkward, but that's what makes it tense. Murphy isn't a good shot with a gun either. The story is very good, although it did confuse me on my first playthrough.
    My only real complaints are the infamous framerate and glitches.
    Apart from that, this is one of my favourite SH games.
  12. Mar 23, 2012
    If the town of Silent Hill has done one thing since its glory days, its pay the water bill. This is the continuation of the Downpour review you have been looking for and is spoiler free. I cannot fit all I want to say, so this is just the main focus. I wrote an early review in the first stages of the game to clear some questions floating around so feel free to find it and take a look, andIf the town of Silent Hill has done one thing since its glory days, its pay the water bill. This is the continuation of the Downpour review you have been looking for and is spoiler free. I cannot fit all I want to say, so this is just the main focus. I wrote an early review in the first stages of the game to clear some questions floating around so feel free to find it and take a look, and compare. In that review I discuss my love for Silent Hill and explain why my opinion can be highly respected for the series as well as my honesty towards it. So, onto Downpour. First off, having now beaten the game, I can safely say this is the best Silent Hill since The Room. Many have purchased this game now I am sure, as I played the game extremely slow and could probably platinum it with one more playthrough, but nonetheless, I said I would review it good or bad, so here goes. Vatra worked hard on this game and it shows. This is the closest Silent Hill has come to returning to its golden age. The game is atmospheric, it is scary, it is creative, and it is intriguing. The game is careful to remain true to its roots but not at all afraid to venture into new territory, and this is perhaps what the game is best at. It is impressive how it can feel like part 2 at times, please fans of the first four, borrow from the entire series, including the comics, ignore the movie and most of Homecoming, and also feel like something completely new to the series. I spent much of my time during Downpour smiling away, remembering the good old days, and getting a warm fuzzy feeling even in the games dampest of scenes. Though the game is not at all perfect I truly enjoyed it, especially the first two acts. The third act, aside form technical things I will mention below, is the games only complete flaw. Story wise the third act is not horrible but not at all great, but what truly bugged me about it was the lack of creative steam, and the emphases on typical combat and linear style action. This game is not an action game, it has less combat than Homecoming but more than any other Silent Hill, give or take Origins, but the final stage of the game is a bit of rage quitter and really dampens the games reputation. Very easily forgotten are the great moments that just proceeded, but honestly for a true fan of the series, all can be forgiven, as long as you dont hate the final outcome. There are multiple endings and I found mine to be...above average. Downpour is also flawed technically a bit. My last review stated the graphic issues, the lag, and hiccups. Its not awful though, just a slight annoyance, most of the time I saw right past it. The combat is odd and stiff but as mentioned as well in my previous review, it was intentional and worked. The combat, when not being smothered, feels legit in that Murphy is human and not a space marine or swordsmaster. Some will find it irritating but many will find it familiar as it is inspired by the Ps1 and Ps2 era of Survival Horror, and that is exactly what this game is, a true Survival Horror. Flight will always win over fight throughout your entire stay in Silent Hill this time around. And when it begins to rain rather hard you may just want to step in doors and dry off for a few minutes. The creatures in this game are not the best in the series, there are only a handful of enemies and they are far less imaginative or symbolic as previous games give or take Homecoming. Though they can frighten you if they attack in the right setting at the right time. I didnt not like the enemies but I wish there could have been more, or that they could have been tweaked a little more on the psychological side. My only other issue would be the alternate worlds, they arent quite as imaginative or scary as past installments but they work in the world of Downpour. I believe this takes care of any negatives, as for positives they far out weigh the bad. This is Silent Hill as we love it, you will be thinking, screaming, and then thinking again. The town feels as if it can hear you and see you, dark hallways still suck to walk through, and even away from combat you dont feel safe. I screamed out loud a few times which is impressive. I was constantly nervous and seldom was allowed to rest easy. I was intrigued throughout the story, and kept trying to guess the outcome and can gladly say I was mostly incorrect, mostly. The addition of side quests is great and honestly at times can be the scariest parts in the game, and some are extremely creative. Silent Hill has not felt this good in a very long time. I still have to place the first four in front of it, but I could see some ranking it above The Room, though I think you would be crazy to place it any higher. From awesome easter eggs to the old school vibe this is a game that true Survival Horror fans and Silent Hill die hards alike can enjoy, so prepare for a wet weekend and experience a long awaited successful trip to the town that takes all. Silent Hill. 7.5 - 8.0 out of 10. Expand
  13. Apr 6, 2012
    This game is... Really fun, critics have been really harsh most of the time but do not make the mistake of trusting the negative nellies! The whole "focus on combat" is not true at all, sure there are fighting, but as far as I know combat can be avoided completely. That being said, first time doing a puzzle might not be easier if a monster is eating your ass... Overall, the combat isThis game is... Really fun, critics have been really harsh most of the time but do not make the mistake of trusting the negative nellies! The whole "focus on combat" is not true at all, sure there are fighting, but as far as I know combat can be avoided completely. That being said, first time doing a puzzle might not be easier if a monster is eating your ass... Overall, the combat is clunky, but I'd still say it works fine but it'll be tricky in tight spaces. I played the game on normal and there were no shortage of those medkits so as long as you'll keep using them in a smart manner you wont exactly die soon. I also stacked up alot of bullets, looking back I really could have used my items alot more. Gameplay in this game is generally balanced, it works for this game quite well, as for graphics and sound those two things also worked well, you will see pop-in textures but honestly it was nothing that will ruin the expeirence. The music is also really awesome, Daniel Licht has really done a great job. Ok, to my complaints, the story, while pretty good took a bit too long to get started, and once it did it felt like it just let go... I can't describe it really, however it was still fine, nothing really bad about it. I played the game on the Ps3 and it does have a few technical problems, I encountered framerate stuttering and several glitches, one where monsters would simply not attack me. I hope they fix the game because the atmosphere was great and I do plan on replaying the game again one day, this game is recommended! Although it's worth noting that for a horror game, it's not really THAT scary, it's more disturbing, sure you will problably jump a few times but those hoping to **** your pants will be disappointed. Still, overall a good game, 8/10. Expand
  14. Apr 11, 2012
    So I have played a few good hours of this game... not complete yet. I just have to say though, this game has two very different sides to it. the art style, graphics visuals and sound are all on par... the story is intriguing and the environments make you want to return. I had a few hair raising moments in the game already... which i never had in a game for while (dead spaces included)....So I have played a few good hours of this game... not complete yet. I just have to say though, this game has two very different sides to it. the art style, graphics visuals and sound are all on par... the story is intriguing and the environments make you want to return. I had a few hair raising moments in the game already... which i never had in a game for while (dead spaces included).... the problem comes in the gameplay... i wouldn't even call it bad... the fighting system is putrid and you better off running away from enemies than even attempting to challenge them... moving around the streets of silent hill could make you want to pull your hair out from constant frame rate issues and lags.... it is like nothing I have experienced before. movements are also clunky.... getting stuck between walls etc. nothing in this game is fluid... and that is the annoying bit.... if I have to sum it up... playing Silent Hill Downpour is like reading an amazing book... with words and letters that are difficult to distinguish and pages that stuck together or torn... not cool... and a waste of the poor artists and writers effort... test games before you dish the junk to us... you suck Konami Expand
  15. Apr 6, 2012
    Stop listening to the critics!This is one of the best games I have played.And I have played a lot.The developers have put a lot of love in this game.They can be proud of their Silent Hill.Go buy this!You will not regret it!Thank you Vatra and Konami for this great game!
  16. Mar 13, 2012
    Silent Hill is back with Downpour.
    All those things that we missed in previous games are here again.
    The characters, the fog, the story, the gore, everything is back. This is what all SH fans have been waiting for. It may have some bug or a bit of lag, but it can be repared witch an update of the game. Silent Hill is not about gameplay...is about story and ambience. And this one has
    Silent Hill is back with Downpour.
    All those things that we missed in previous games are here again.
    The characters, the fog, the story, the gore, everything is back.
    This is what all SH fans have been waiting for.
    Silent Hill is not about gameplay...is about story and ambience.
    And this one has everything it needs to become the best Silent Hill since the first games of the saga (because SH2 or SH1 are so good that any other SH will be better than them).
  17. Apr 7, 2012
    Okay! I just finished the game yesterday. First of all, the critics have their heads so far up their behinds that they can't see in front of them much less seeing a good game to know it. This is the best Silent Hill, in my humble opinion, since Silent Hill 3. However, the PS3 version has some serious performance issues, lag being the worst of all. Another issue were glitchy saveOkay! I just finished the game yesterday. First of all, the critics have their heads so far up their behinds that they can't see in front of them much less seeing a good game to know it. This is the best Silent Hill, in my humble opinion, since Silent Hill 3. However, the PS3 version has some serious performance issues, lag being the worst of all. Another issue were glitchy save checkpoints. For example, I ran into one area, and the game had to load, then when I took a few steps, it had to load AGAIN just to put me at the same place it had just started me. On a good note, this game has plenty of references to previous games and plays in the same spirit as the previous games. Die-hard fans will be upset that the music for this game was composed by a different person. But in all fairness, I like this guys musical score just as much or maybe even a little bit better than the previous guy. The game offers plenty of puzzles, chases through maze-like maps, freaky moments, and just about everything all the other best Silent Hill games have offered. My advice to the critics: If you like the first game that much, just keep playing the first game if you cannot give a more accurate review to the later games. Expand
  18. Jan 15, 2013
    I'm not going to lie and say this game is perfect, but I definitely think it deserves more credit than it's given. Downpour takes an interesting direction with the franchise by opening the world up greatly. The semi-open world is filled to the brim with depression and melancholy. Some people may find the game simply boring since exploration is very slow-paced. You can't exactly run aroundI'm not going to lie and say this game is perfect, but I definitely think it deserves more credit than it's given. Downpour takes an interesting direction with the franchise by opening the world up greatly. The semi-open world is filled to the brim with depression and melancholy. Some people may find the game simply boring since exploration is very slow-paced. You can't exactly run around like you would in a sandbox game like GTA or an RPG like Skyrim. There's a pseudo fast-travel system via subway stations that takes you to the few major hubs (major as far as Silent Hill Downpour goes). One thing they haven't failed to do is create a sense of complete loneliness as you play. Yes you encounter other people in the game, but the moments are so fleeting; and once they're gone, the dreadful loneliness sets back in immediately. To me this is one of the major calling cards for Silent Hill and I'm glad they haven't abandoned it. Overall, the developers took a rather simplistic approach with the new features, and I think they did a good job. There are things I do dislike about this game. Visually it's not top-notch, which isn't an issue for me, but their liberal use of sun shafts (which are extremely low quality) definitely have an adverse effect on the visuals. Looking up where the sun "appears" to be creates these awfully low resolution, low-precision rays of light. I feel like ever since the original Crysis came out, other developers just slap sun shafts in their games and call it realistic. It only looks realistic when it looks believable. Yes the thick fog in Silent Hill would definitely allow for sun shafts to exist in the real world, but the sun shafts need to LOOK real to begin with. They just look awful in this game. Apart from the visuals, the combat is wonky. Shooting isn't really bad to be honest. I don't expect it to be 1:1 since Murphy probably isn't proficient with firearms to begin with. That's why they have the moving crosshair to emulate that he doesn't have a steady hand when aiming. Still, it's fairly easy to hit your target. Melee combat is where it gets wonky, but it still works. I think it works far better than it did in Homecoming. It just gets old after a while. I highly recommend you put both puzzle and game difficulty to Hard. You should also do yourself a favor and try and go for the "Good Behavior" achievement where you don't kill any monsters. It'll provide a huge challenge and you won't have to deal with the wonky melee combat as much. Anyway, another issue I have has to do with exploring. I love exploring Silent Hill because of the melancholic atmosphere it boasts. The problem is...Murphy is extremely slow. You can "run" but it's hardly any faster than walking. The fast travel is there but it's very minimal, not to mention it takes a while to actually gain access to it. It's not like Skyrim where you open a map and pick a location and you teleport. You literally have to walk to a subway station and ride a train. I like how it's integrated in to the game, but you only really use it to get to a different hub area. Actually exploring a hub area can be tedious because of how slow Murphy moves. If they made him move as fast as he does while engaging a monster, it would make exploring ten times better. Regardless, once you discover a new secret or a new house to enter, you feel rewarded. I also love the little mysteries they put in to the game that you can solve. They give the series a bit more depth. Rather than being solely horror, it adds an element of mystery to the series that I think goes hand in hand. The last major issue I have with this game is how they implemented the whole alternate world aspect that the series has always had. They're mostly boring chase scenes and you don't really get to actually explore. Not to mention the visuals are rather boring to be honest. Some of the level design appears to be very situational and thoughtless at times. I loved how in Homecoming (and all the other games for that matter) the alternate world actually resembled the real world architecturally. In Downpour the alternate world is way more farfetched and odd, not to mention totally NOT scary in the least. This is probably where I was most disappointed with the game. Needless to say, it didn't keep me from enjoying the game as a whole. I do recommend this game, especially now since it's cheap. I got it for $18 used at Best Buy. Totally worth it. Expand
  19. Mar 13, 2012
    It's safe to go back silent hill! Downpour feels very similar to the original silent hill games in that the creepy atmosphere is very terrifying, the puzzles are actually challenging, exploration is more prominent, etc. This game is so good I'm actually going to go so far as to say it rivals the third game in my opinion. Get it now!
  20. Dec 27, 2012
    Silent Hill DownPour is a good game of horror and also a classic,it has great jumpscares and great graphics even for a horror game like this,so who ever wants to play a good Horror game Silent Hill DownPour is the perfect one !!!
  21. Jun 20, 2013
    Pros: Genuinely scary, with a very tense and foreboding atmosphere. Classic Silent Hill combat, puzzles, and exploration. Fans of the series will likely enjoy this game.

Cons: Poor musical score, the absence of Akira Yamaoka's composition is disappointing. Side missions are generally uninteresting and not very rewarding. Storyline is very good but not great. Other: Make sure your

Other: Make sure your brightness setting is set correctly in the game or you will not get the full experience.
  22. Mar 13, 2012
    People who bash this game are idiots and only do it cause they claim to be OG Silent Hill fans. We don't need SH 1, 2, 3, or 4. We need a game that doesn't stutter every time you walk in new room. Downpour is great aside from the tech. problems. The combat is good comparing it to the older games. The shooting is great if you aren't autistic. The soundtrack and story are all good. Get overPeople who bash this game are idiots and only do it cause they claim to be OG Silent Hill fans. We don't need SH 1, 2, 3, or 4. We need a game that doesn't stutter every time you walk in new room. Downpour is great aside from the tech. problems. The combat is good comparing it to the older games. The shooting is great if you aren't autistic. The soundtrack and story are all good. Get over yourselves people, minus the bugs in this game, it could be the greatest thing to touch this series since SH: 3. Expand
  23. Mar 16, 2012
    If you're here looking for a review of this game by a member of the Silent Hill fan-base that you can count on, please bear with the length of this review and I'll make it worth your time. Ignore the fake tens, ignore the forever vengeful - I know what you're here for, to find out the answer to the question, "Is it safe to go back to Silent Hill?" and I'm here to tell you, that while IIf you're here looking for a review of this game by a member of the Silent Hill fan-base that you can count on, please bear with the length of this review and I'll make it worth your time. Ignore the fake tens, ignore the forever vengeful - I know what you're here for, to find out the answer to the question, "Is it safe to go back to Silent Hill?" and I'm here to tell you, that while I will pull NO punches in my critique, the answer is a fairly solid "Yes!" Seeing as how the franchise has been sliding downhill for years longer than it stood proud, I'm not even sure how to handle praising it anymore - every flaw in Downpour makes me want to tear it down but one must keep in mind, the originals had their flaws as well. But let's start with the good, shall we? GRAPHICAL QUALITY won't win any awards, but it's up with the times. The worst aspect is the shadow effects of light on water or through trees, but if you can forgive that, the visuals will do just fine for your stay. THE SOUNDTRACK is phenomenal. Licht deviates from Yamaoka only in two ways - first, he takes Yamaoka's style and bends it to the will of music composition. The industrial sounds are here, the mandolin is here, the guitar is here - but you could lay it out as sheet music if you needed to, and it's masterfully done to the degree that this formulaic approach does not detract from even the chase scenes. Also, a bit of realism is mixed in as, throughout the entire game, radios within Silent Hill will play you real world music spanning from modern indie performers all the way back to Louis Armstrong and Frank Sinatra. Cast your doubts aside, Licht deserves praise for this job. PERFORMANCE is iffy (-1 point). The game tries to load in real time, but can't keep up - this will often cause the game to stutter and jump. There's no way around it - this is a problem you will either come to terms with or not. GAMEPLAY stays about 90% true to the Silent Hill formula. The interaction options have been expanded to make use of the Dualshock 3, so that's nice, but the two main differences are as follows: (1) The long-winded puzzles and sidequests that make the old Silent Hill games are now completely optional. I think this is GREAT. The game may feel more shallow when speed running it, but I'm thankful for the option. (2) The Otherworld doesn't make you repeat the same area with different skin; and it's not slow terror. The Otherworld makes you run - makes you keep up. It's linear suspense in a dissolving landscape. I can't say whether this is good or bad, it's just a total departure from the series roots. Hey, if that's how Murphy sees it, that's how he sees it. I just hope this isn't all it has to offer from here on - I'd like to see some variety in the future. COMBAT is clumsy but responsive and fast paced. It's not going to win any programming awards, but it keeps that "average Joe" feel to it that feels right at home in Silent Hill. Finally, what you're probably here for. MONSTER DESIGN is my main area of complaint; I'm docking a whole point for it. It completely does away with SH's "vaguely human / disturbing" forms and goes straight for "mutilated human / badass" forms, starting with basic enemies right out of The Suffering and all comes down to THE BIG BAD basically being the Tyrant-103 (Mr. X) from Resident Evil in a gas mask. This game could gain 10% of my love back with a mob-mod. (Sorry, creature guy. You just missed the point. They're good, they're just not Silent Hill.) THE STORYLINE is a welcome addition to the canon (Is it snowing on the hills of hell? I never thought I'd say that about Silent Hill again.) Cast aside your expectations to find out WHAT the protagonist has done - this time we're here to explore HOW AND WHY they did what we already know has been done - and the journey is satisfying; it's not "I'm going to cry, that was wonderful" levels of amazing, but it's worth your time n' dime. Also, and this is a HUGE bonus, there's a book hidden in the library that satisfyingly explains why THE ORDER of SH1 ~ 3 was only one chapter of Silent Hill, only one incarnation of it's power, only one group of people involved in a rotating door of the terrors of the realm. REPLAY VALUE is average, it'll take 3 playthroughs to see all endings, but with speed run being an option, just picking it up to blow through the story would be satisfying any time! ALL IN ALL, Downpour is a damn solid release - don't let anyone tell you it's perfect, but don't let anyone tell you it's terrible, either. All that remains is to see if KONAMI has finally pulled their head out of their ass and given Silent Hill a new beginning (and Downpour is a GREAT Chapter 1 of a new Saga), or of VATRA just got lucky. For now, Downpour is a solid 8/10 - here's hoping for a bright future. Expand
  24. Aug 23, 2012
    SH Downpour is a fun,creepy and sometimes scary game. The story, voice acting and soundtrack are great.
    I noticed that most reviewers were complaining about the combat controls, I personally found nothing wrong with them they are primitive but they work. The game adopts a open world kind of feel with side quests and secrets and it feels fresh. I also like the rain mechanic like if it rains their are more monsters on the streets so it's a good idea to find shelter in a nearby building. It's not a perfect game it suffers from technical difficulties and some poor textures however if you like Silent Hill or survival horror games you have to check it out.
  25. Mar 20, 2012
    Grabbing your attention from the start we find Murphy Pendleton, a prisoner, to be morally ambiguous. Is Murphy a good guy in a bad situation...a good guy who got off track or a bad guy from the start? These are the questions that follow you throughout the game as even the loading screen seems to taunt you with accusations of "Why are you lying?" and "Was it worth it?".

What and who

What and who Murphy is will be determined by you...by the choices you make and in how you play the game. With quite a few sidequests in a free roam environment and several different endings the game warrants more than one playthrough. While the puzzles and chase scenes can sometimes seem daunting, completing these challenges (which sometimes takes patience) will leave you with a feeling of great accomplishment. Nothing less than a pleasant surprise and a pure pleasure.
  26. Nov 15, 2012
    Its the best looking Silent Hill thus far, but its not without some issues. This game is by no means perfect. At times, its far from it. However with a strang and engaging story to follow, with the good ole Silent Hill twists, this game manages to deliver.

Pros: Great Visuals. The best this series has had. Also showcase of the world changing to the other form, similar to the movies. A

Pros:
    Great Visuals. The best this series has had.
    Also showcase of the world changing to the other form, similar to the movies. A solid combat system with a large variety of weapons.
    A new flashlight system that is vary adaptable.
    Great use of sound to add to the fear.
    Nods to past games. Always a plus in my book.
    A great use of main narrative and side characters to help the story along.

Cons:
    Glitches, Bugs, Lags. The game can get a little jumpy at times and feel like a lag for a single player game.
    Enemy designs arnt the best for some.
    Item management. Why do you need 2 pistols? why not just be able to take the ammo from one so you can keep a weapon slot ready.

Over all, I am liking this game alot, even with its issues. It may not be perfect, but for any Silent Hill fan, its worth a play. Buy it or dont buy it. I know where I stand.
  27. Mar 14, 2012
    Game is good, it has a lot of easter eggs to find from games of the past which adds to the idea of being in the same town of Silent Hill which is great. Combat isn't horrible, melee works fairly well and ammo is scarce which allows it to play out more like a "survival horror" game than Resident Evil or Dead Space (Not to say they are bad games - they are great but have definitely becomeGame is good, it has a lot of easter eggs to find from games of the past which adds to the idea of being in the same town of Silent Hill which is great. Combat isn't horrible, melee works fairly well and ammo is scarce which allows it to play out more like a "survival horror" game than Resident Evil or Dead Space (Not to say they are bad games - they are great but have definitely become more action oriented vs survival horror nowadays which is something Downpour is definitely not and feel it deserves credit in that respect because games like this are scarce nowadays). Personally...Korn??...really..smh... I know they have a fan base but WRONG DIRECTION for this game for the intro song, I absolutely hate that they are associated with this title but thats more personal preference and won't let it affect the score because it doesn't affect gameplay however it still doesn't set a good mood. Most enemies are downright horrible looking and don't even seem to look right in the world, almost as if they pop out because of how stupid they look. But there is a few here and there that are okay at best and the game is more focused on exploration so run away if you don't feel like dealing with them. Aspects of it feel like Alan Wake with the radio sequences even the beginning part feels like Bright Falls which isn't necessarily bad but feels like its trying to borrow too much from other titles than making its own mark in the world. Because it borrows a lot from good games of the past, it does to some things right, but its not entirely original and at times feels more like fun house scares vs true horror. I would love to see more Silent Hill games so I hope the developers read consumer criticism and work with it. Its a good attempt and don't regret it but leaves some to be desired. It would be nice if you can change the control scheme but not a deal breaker. These devs have a lot of potential and should be given input so they can bring this franchise back, bashing them doesn't help anyone. Overall I am ENJOYING this game quite a bit. It nice to get away from current trends and like how it doesn't hold your hand which veteran Silent Hill fans will appreciate it more than newcomers. It sits between a 7/8 for me but went with an 8 to help with the 0's some people gave. Expand
  28. Mar 15, 2012
    Silent hill Downpour still a good game. Not the best in the series, but still a game to pick up and play all the way through. story is good, get a few scares here and there. the Voice acting is really good and prob the best in the series, it don't seem cheesy and everyone's voice seems to match up just right, Monsters are on the lame side a little bit, but i am happy they didn't Reuse allSilent hill Downpour still a good game. Not the best in the series, but still a game to pick up and play all the way through. story is good, get a few scares here and there. the Voice acting is really good and prob the best in the series, it don't seem cheesy and everyone's voice seems to match up just right, Monsters are on the lame side a little bit, but i am happy they didn't Reuse all the monsters from Silent hill 2 and 3 got tired of seeing EVERY monster in the same game. Story is good and i liked this one better then Homecoming. Controls suck BUT its silent hill ALL silent hill games controls suck. Combat is the same way but this is not a Combat game, i see your suppose to RUN from the monsters not stand there and take on 3 at a time. dont come into this game thinking your guy is a MMA fighter or was in the marines or something that is what i see all the bad reviews are for is the bad combat your guy is not a fighter as in all silent hills your just a avg joe reason why i gave it a 8 is because of the monsters (could of been cooler buy hey this is vatra first game so i cut them some slack) Expand
  29. Dec 12, 2016
    This game is absolutely fantastic and unfortunately way underrated everywhere. This game is horror and suspense, beauty and disturbing, hope and fear. Perfect

1. Hyper Magazine
    May 14, 2012
    A remarkably ugly game. [June 2012, p.60]
    Silent Hill Downpourit's a good game, despite all of its flaws, but desperately needs new mechanics.
  3. Apr 29, 2012
    It may be a visually sound package that throws a few unique spins on the Silent Hill template, though the sometimes awkward puzzles and irredeemably abysmal combat are enough to drag Downpour down the gutter and towards mediocrity.