7.2

1. Nov 16, 2011
    I don't understand the hate that gets thrown at this game. The graphics in this game are pretty damn good, even considering today's standards (it's not Uncharted by a long shot, but it's way better then **** call of duty). The combat is a bit too enpowering, until you go on the harder difficulty and get gang raped by Schisms. The story isn't nearly as bad as what people say it is andI don't understand the hate that gets thrown at this game. The graphics in this game are pretty damn good, even considering today's standards (it's not Uncharted by a long shot, but it's way better then **** call of duty). The combat is a bit too enpowering, until you go on the harder difficulty and get gang raped by Schisms. The story isn't nearly as bad as what people say it is and there is a lot of good here overall. The only bad part of the game is in the enemy designs. The nurses, dogs, smog, and even pyramid head seem more like gameplay varients (like in an action game) than physical manifestations of the character's fears and anxieties. The bosses show the more imaginative side of the game and are definately the highlights of the game, but the other enemies seemed more like an afterthought. Another issue I have is the fact that it just isn't as scary as past Silent Hill games. There were some moments where I was tensed up, but that was it. The monsters aren't scary because they are designed around gameplay with all there weak points and finishing moves. But there was just something about this game that kept me coming. I beat this game about ten times, got all the endings and costumes and only recently sold it. I almost miss the game, but I realize that I played that game dry and I would only get bored if I tried to play it again. Let's just hope Downpour can take what Homecoming got right and fix what they got wrong so that we can have a great silent hill game on the PS3. Expand
  2. Mar 18, 2011
    No! You just can't decently mix all that makes good adventures to create a fresh new one. But unfortunatly Double Helix did that for their SH Homecoming. The result of this? An untasty adventure guided by soulless protagonists, a nurse here a Pyramid Head there without any explanation.
    And how can the developpers explain the huge gap between the quality of the ordinary monsters design (the modelization of dogs and nurses was better on PS2... that's a limit for the first and big return of the series on new gen!) and the one of the different bosses (only good point of the game, maybe the best bosses of the all series! The most difficult to get rid of too...)? How can they explain the awful fight system (unplayable! In addition, the hero can't run away anymore...) and the level design coming from the age of the first 3D games on PS one?
    Shattered Memories gave me hope in the future of the SH license. Homecoming sank me back into despair...
    The Vatra Team will have to be careful for the chapter to come. SH Downpour is seen by lots of fans like me as the last chance for the series to recover even just an ounce of glory.
  3. Nov 30, 2010
    This game by all means isn't horrible, but really Double Helix could have done better. The story seemed intriguing, but was pulled off in the worst manners (i.e.,the little homage to "Hostel" near the end of the game, etc...) and there were really stupid/uninteresting characters in the bunch with whom took away the Silent Hill experience (i.e., Elle, Wheeler, Curtis, and Josh). NoThis game by all means isn't horrible, but really Double Helix could have done better. The story seemed intriguing, but was pulled off in the worst manners (i.e.,the little homage to "Hostel" near the end of the game, etc...) and there were really stupid/uninteresting characters in the bunch with whom took away the Silent Hill experience (i.e., Elle, Wheeler, Curtis, and Josh). No complaints about combat, however the recycled "Bogeyman," Nurse, and "Smogs" make it feel like nothing but fan service. And another huge problem is how predictable the whole story is and how much unnecessary gore they actually put into this game (albeit some argue it expresses the symbolism when really it just seems there for the "spookyness") However there are good things that I'd like to express about the game, such some of the otherworld designs (I love me some steam punk!). Also Mayor Bartlet and Lillian Sheppard were mysterious characters that seemed to fit well with the plot, which is awesome. I could go on, but in short, a great survival/horror game, but a questionable Silent Hill title. Expand
  4. Dec 12, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game gives very scary! The history is very interesting! The graphics aren´t spectacular but the cinemas are good! The game play is very simple and when you know how kill the enemies this game becomes very easy!

Good Game for me the best Silent Hill!
  5. Apr 14, 2011
    Game wasn't that bad, but I feel that they copied the movie which sucked big time. There were some decent scares, but it wasn't the best or worse silent hill.
    I still remember the 1st silent hill where you are in the school, and you here a cabinate opening and closing so you go and open the cabinate and a cat jumps out and runs out the room ,then you hear the cat get killed by those little dudes with the knives. If I can remember that from a long time ago there must have been some great momments in the 1st silent hill, I do not feel the same with homecomming. Still a fun experience.
  6. May 12, 2011
    Certainly not a bad Silent Hill game. Has all the elements that make Silent Hill cool, and offers a good amount of gameplay. It drags a bit near the end, but it's certainly worth playing if you're a fan of Silent Hill!
  7. Jun 1, 2012
    BUGS! BUGS EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!1 I'm gonna say up front there are game breaking glitches all over this damn game, it should not have been released with so little QA testing. That aside it's a somewhat enjoyable experience, the story is decent, the combat is damn fun every encounter with a enemy gives me a sensation like I'm boxing it's hilarious. The visuals are the best in the seriesBUGS! BUGS EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!1 I'm gonna say up front there are game breaking glitches all over this damn game, it should not have been released with so little QA testing. That aside it's a somewhat enjoyable experience, the story is decent, the combat is damn fun every encounter with a enemy gives me a sensation like I'm boxing it's hilarious. The visuals are the best in the series rightfully so as the first title on 7th generation console, enemy's are fascinating oddities as well. Buy this for $20 and read up on game breaking bug sections(and save often in a couple slots) and you won't get hit with buyer's remorse. Expand
  8. Apr 21, 2012
    Silent hill homecoming gets bashed a lot but..... I for one felt that the game was a great addition to the franchise. It still had the atmosphere silent hill is know for and the otherworld is still crazy as **** It's fairly cheap now so go ahead and buy it it's only 20 bucks. If you hate it bring it back to whatever store you bought it from and get your money back if you're that worriedSilent hill homecoming gets bashed a lot but..... I for one felt that the game was a great addition to the franchise. It still had the atmosphere silent hill is know for and the otherworld is still crazy as **** It's fairly cheap now so go ahead and buy it it's only 20 bucks. If you hate it bring it back to whatever store you bought it from and get your money back if you're that worried about 20bucks Expand
  9. Mar 15, 2012
    After playing Downpour I decided to revisit Homecoming, the beginning of the second series of Silent Hill in my mind. I did like it the first time round, quite a lot. It wasn't very faithful to the ethnics of the core topic but reboots are permitted to toy with the DNA a bit so I wasn't that annoyed. The main thing was the series had potential to go on from here and be brilliant once more.After playing Downpour I decided to revisit Homecoming, the beginning of the second series of Silent Hill in my mind. I did like it the first time round, quite a lot. It wasn't very faithful to the ethnics of the core topic but reboots are permitted to toy with the DNA a bit so I wasn't that annoyed. The main thing was the series had potential to go on from here and be brilliant once more. Unfortunately Downpour failed to build upon Homecoming, so my hopes are shattered. In the plus side, Homecoming is pretty damn good, if not a bit tainted. Expand
  10. Mar 28, 2012
    I like the protagonist and thought the storyline was interesting and well done. Unfortunately, I couldn't complete this game. I would have appreciated an Easy Mode since I never really mastered dodging. I dont have much free time, so I really don't feel like starting this game all over until I can run through the game well enough to get past the sewers. Anyway I just watched the restI like the protagonist and thought the storyline was interesting and well done. Unfortunately, I couldn't complete this game. I would have appreciated an Easy Mode since I never really mastered dodging. I dont have much free time, so I really don't feel like starting this game all over until I can run through the game well enough to get past the sewers. Anyway I just watched the rest of the game on YouTube. Expand
  11. May 18, 2012
    this was an alright game. I found myself at times getting dizzy running in circles, because you never knew 'which was the right direction to go, or trying to finding stuff. This game didn't really scare me, but I respect the spook feel to it. I wish there was more diverse monsters, but that's the only complaint I have. Game wasn't that entertaining, but it didn't' suck at all.
  12. Aug 28, 2012
    I am really just starting the game and so far I love it, at the end of the day I want to have a good storyline, good graphics and I want to be scared and SHH delivers.
  13. Oct 17, 2012
    "Silent Hill: Homecoming" is the least satisfying in the series. Developed by Double Helix Games (an American company), it lacks the unique and bizarre atmospheres of previous entries. As a result, this "Silent Hill" feels unimaginative and even flat at times. Yet, while it doesn't live up to the series' standards, the game still manages to deliver a few goose bumps. This is mainly due to"Silent Hill: Homecoming" is the least satisfying in the series. Developed by Double Helix Games (an American company), it lacks the unique and bizarre atmospheres of previous entries. As a result, this "Silent Hill" feels unimaginative and even flat at times. Yet, while it doesn't live up to the series' standards, the game still manages to deliver a few goose bumps. This is mainly due to the game's pacing and story elements. "Homecoming" has a strong premise and stays true to the original concept. That's why it ultimately works despite the clumsy combat and generic locations. The subtitle is a reference to the return of its protagonist, a war veteran named Alex Shephard. Alex has reoccuring nightmares of his younger brother in serious trouble. So he is absolutely horrified when he returns home only to discover that his brother is missing. Not only that, but the town itself (Shephard's Glen) seems to be plagued by a supernatural evil. As Alex searches for his missing sibling, the town around him changes in appearance much like it did in the 2006 "Silent Hill" movie. Pyramid Head from "Silent Hill 2" returns, but the rest of the creatures are rather tepid in appearance. This is an almost generic entry in terms of level and creature design. "Silent Hill: Homecoming" may not be a revolutionary title but I sort of liked it despite itself. Double Helix provides enough creepy stuff to satisfy horror fans. And Akira Yamaoka's haunting score enhances the tone brilliantly. Expand
  14. Aug 20, 2013
    the game is not bad but it was not good as well the plot is not good and predictable and the graphics are not good game play at some times was really boring not bad and not good
  15. Dec 9, 2014
    Even with a dramatically improved fighting system over the previous games in the series it keeps the fear up by making encounters more dangerous than ever. Unfortunately it feels more like a imitator than an actual Silent Hill game.

A bit of a letdown. The gameplay has been reduced from a tense psychological experience fraught with spine tingling jumps and scares to a generic, predictable action title set in the location with good graphics and a great soundtrack.
  2. The folks at Double Helix gave me the Silent Hill I wanted: a nerve-racking, scary as hell experience to hold me over this Halloween season. Any fan of Silent Hill should be checking this out, and anyone just needing a good scare can join in the Homecoming.
  3. American developer Double Helix has managed to stick its landing—right in the uneasy, dark parts of the mind that define the Silent Hill experience.