7.0

1. Jun 5, 2012
    Personally i found Skullgirls disappointing. I had high hopes for this game after reading/watching reviews and playing the demo myself but now i regret spending my money on this game. I'm no expert when it comes to fighting games but personally i found the game a little difficult (especially the last boss) when i'm not spamming the same moves which obviously makes the game tedious. Another major problem for me was the fact that there are only 8 characters available!, I understand that the developers wanted to make 8 characters so that they could focus more time on developing the roster but only 8 characters is a joke and again makes the game boring really fast. However i have to admit the characters do look pretty awesome Also combos are nowhere to be seen in the menus and instead they are on the website of the game, i don't have fricking time to check them out. Skulgirls isn't a bad game but it seems that the game is directed at hardcore fighting gamers and isn't accessible for anyone else Expand
  2. May 16, 2012
    I played the demo for this game, and I was very excited to play this game moreso. However, it is a huge disappointment and wish I would have spent $15 on Street Fighter III Online Edition. This game has a very small selection of characters, only 8! This is 1990, this is 2012, give us a little bit more than that. The art style of this game is neat, but the fighting mechanics and the characters of the game were very dull and boring. Not to mention you can play with three different people at the same time, meaning you can play as 75% of the entire roster in one match. This game made me waste my precious $15 on a incomplete, broken, and dull fighting game. They were too lazy to even put a move list into the game and you have to hold the pause button for like 2 seconds for the menu to pop up. I'm very let down by this game and is not worth the $15 you will put into it. Expand
  3. Jun 7, 2014
    Absolute garbage. And not for the reasons you would expect. I'm not here to attack the aesthetic. In fact that's about the only thing it has going for it.

This is the sort of game made to codify the inaccessibility of fighting games. Game critics looking to garner street cred for being "hardcore" and fighting fans that have been spending weeks learning how to work through "Sleepwalking"
    mode will be able to smugly sit on their thrones sneering at the rest of us but to anyone else it's a frustrating time-sink.

Controls aren't "tight" they're stiff. There are only a handful of characters, none of which are even remotely interesting in terms of characterization or play-style. Story mode is short and stupid.

I'm not going to recommend a different fighting game over this. Pretty much any will do.

1. The single player mode is quite challenging at any difficulty level as the momentum of any battle frequently shifts. There are some balancing issues (particularly on the easier difficulties), which may make going it alone less appealing. Versus and online, however, is where Skullgirls really shines and will keep you equally entertained and frustrated. [June 2012, p80]
  2. May 22, 2012
    Skullgirls is a nice surprise in the fighting games genre. It stands out mainly for its fighting engine that offers a good challenge for veterans.
  3. May 17, 2012
    Skullgirls is funny and beautiful to see, it's a good mash up between technic and spectacular. However only 8 characters are too few and online features are poor.