7.0

1. May 17, 2012
    A quick distraction from other fighters, but nowhere near as robust as it needs to be to compete with other, much more complete fighters. You're better off putting the $15 toward Mortal Kombat or BlazBlue: EXTEND. It's not that it's a bad fighter--it isn't, not by any means, sans a few balance issues and a poorly-done story mode--it just doesn't do anything particularly exceptional, exceptA quick distraction from other fighters, but nowhere near as robust as it needs to be to compete with other, much more complete fighters. You're better off putting the $15 toward Mortal Kombat or BlazBlue: EXTEND. It's not that it's a bad fighter--it isn't, not by any means, sans a few balance issues and a poorly-done story mode--it just doesn't do anything particularly exceptional, except perhaps the multiplayer, which, if it had more options, would be excellent, and the "frame delay" that compensates for ping is wonderful, making it so you can play with practically anyone, anywhere, using the frame delay as a mediator so no one has a ping advantage. It's basically an amalgamation of other fighters in a very tight, budget-priced package. While there are some neat touches, such as the ability to choose one strong fighter, two medium-powered fighters, or three low-powered fighters versus any other matchup, and some very flashy special moves, the game suffers from just not being enough, with some rather poor character design, to boot. Yeah, the characters are certainly all very different design-wise, but they all feel so random, as if they don't belong in the same game at all. It doesn't seem to work as well as you would think it should. This might be worth a look if, in the future, they make some serious tweaks and add a *lot* more content, but for the moment, it's just Every-Other-Fighter Ultra-Lite. Expand
  2. Apr 12, 2012
    I've been playing fighting games since the first Street Fighter game in the arcades during the 80's. That being said, this game, at times can be enjoyable. However, for me, a huge part of a game's goodness is its aesthetics. I am in my 30's and have a family; this game has a too much T&A for my liking and seems like a cheap tactic to get hormonal challenged little boys interested in theI've been playing fighting games since the first Street Fighter game in the arcades during the 80's. That being said, this game, at times can be enjoyable. However, for me, a huge part of a game's goodness is its aesthetics. I am in my 30's and have a family; this game has a too much T&A for my liking and seems like a cheap tactic to get hormonal challenged little boys interested in the game. It doesn't help that every character in the game is a female, so every character is over sexualized. This is disappointing for those of us who play fighting games for the competition not to get some cheap tawdry thrills off of some weirdly drawn cartoon character.

That brings me to the art design. It is clear and crisp, as are the animations, which is good. The bad is that the art design looks like it is something out of some cheap Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network anime show. Certainly not the most appealing art design for a game. I know they are trying to standout from other 2d fighters, like KoFXIII and BlazBlue, but, as a result, they end up with a bizarre art style that certainly will not appeal to all.

People try to defend this game's very small roster with the idea that more characters will come if it is successful. Notice the conditional clause. No one should EVER make a purchase based on a conditional promise, you should buy the game based on what you get out-of-the-box. That being said, in this day and age, 8 characters is just way too few. With other high quality titles available on the PSN & Live, like Street Fighter III: Third Strike OE, Skullgirls doesn't seem like a good value. Anyway, I admit this game isn't for me, and I have given some of the reasons. Its up to you though to decide by trying out the demo. Enjoy.
  3. May 16, 2012
    I played the demo for this game, and I was very excited to play this game moreso. However, it is a huge disappointment and wish I would have spent $15 on Street Fighter III Online Edition. This game has a very small selection of characters, only 8! This is 1990, this is 2012, give us a little bit more than that. The art style of this game is neat, but the fighting mechanics and theI played the demo for this game, and I was very excited to play this game moreso. However, it is a huge disappointment and wish I would have spent $15 on Street Fighter III Online Edition. This game has a very small selection of characters, only 8! This is 1990, this is 2012, give us a little bit more than that. The art style of this game is neat, but the fighting mechanics and the characters of the game were very dull and boring. Not to mention you can play with three different people at the same time, meaning you can play as 75% of the entire roster in one match. This game made me waste my precious $15 on a incomplete, broken, and dull fighting game. They were too lazy to even put a move list into the game and you have to hold the pause button for like 2 seconds for the menu to pop up. I'm very let down by this game and is not worth the $15 you will put into it. Collapse

1. The single player mode is quite challenging at any difficulty level as the momentum of any battle frequently shifts. There are some balancing issues (particularly on the easier difficulties), which may make going it alone less appealing. Versus and online, however, is where Skullgirls really shines and will keep you equally entertained and frustrated. [June 2012, p80]
  2. May 22, 2012
    Skullgirls is a nice surprise in the fighting games genre. It stands out mainly for its fighting engine that offers a good challenge for veterans.
  3. May 17, 2012
    Skullgirls is funny and beautiful to see, it's a good mash up between technic and spectacular. However only 8 characters are too few and online features are poor.