4.9

1. Oct 19, 2013
    Kid friendly hack n slash, sign me up! Skylanders Swap Force (SSF) takes the older games and adds onto them. My perspective is written from an eight year old boys account and I can tell you every minute of this game has been enjoyed thus far. From an adult perspective I respect the development company for not choking our wallets dry with each expansion and allowing the previous series of Skylanders to be playable on the new systems.

SSF new characters didn't add a whole lot to the combat style, swapping the bottoms and tops felt a little clunky and hearing some of the random comments the little one made he felt close to the same way. However this didn't deter or distract from the fun hack n slash nature of the game. Another great feature which I liked was the new gate systems (locked areas) with SSF the new gates are restricted with two elements. However they do not force you to have the swap force characters as long as both elements are present, swap character or two characters with the proper element, the gate will open. Each new swap force character has a trait on their base, there are a total of eight different traits on the bases of these characters. The newest gates use these traits, and what was added to them can be some fun and challenging mini games. For the two that I was able to try both wall climb and rocket boost were interesting changes of pace from the hack n slash style of the story missions. The young one playing alongside me really enjoyed them and felt great when he was able to complete the challenges by himself.

Another great feature that was added to SSF was the portal of power player level. The achievement system implemented gives the young (and lets be honest, old) ones a reason to replay those levels and search every nook and cranny for those secrets. Albeit you'll probably end up spending some big bucks to collect everything if this is your first go at the Skylanders universe. All in all this game was great, the young one beside me couldn't stop talking about the first two games, and this game isn't any different. In my honest opinion the best feature added with this game is the difficulty setting. This will help the younger players beat those pesky levels from the first two games that they always needed help with and also challenge the older folks who enjoy the game but breeze through the story missions.
  2. Oct 16, 2013
    The toy concept coming to life in the game world is cool, but each iteration of this franchise has seen a trend of more adventure content and higher quality presentation! Swap Force has successfully carried the momentum of high quality and adventure pack for this franchise in my opinion. I look forward to the next Skylanders game!

1. Jan 13, 2014
    Arguably, a triple A game made for kids, a solid product that's fun and entertaining but not that unforgettable.
  2. Jan 3, 2014
    Just like earlier titles Skylander Swap Force is firstly a well made platform game fitting for most age groups. It’s sorta simple and the level design is nothing special but the use of figures and creative thinking is great. Even though the solution to the games puzzles is sometimes obvious.
  3. Dec 12, 2013
    A classic recipe, elevated to a “gourmet” level: with Swap Force Activision produced a visually stunning game, an engaging experience, perfect for a father-and-son gameplay experience. And the statues are amazing.