Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time PlayStation 3

8.3

1. Nov 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's kinda lame as hell compared to the 2 previous games. The way you control your characters feels weird and different, and not in a good way. Guards now became a pain in the ass, and engaging in combat with them is useless. Sly is supposed to be swift, now you can't even do the stealth move properly and they kinda focused too much on Sly's costumes, you don't even feel like a thief anymore. The game was supposed to be comic styled, not cartoonish, yet another thing ruined. I only bought this game because it's Sly, the story isn't bad at all but I don't expect a new Sly game to be any better than this one. Expand
  2. Feb 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I previously gave this game a 7/10 and here are my reasons for lowering it. I said I liked the mechanics of the game and it does have fun gameplay, but this game has some really annoying flaws, first off this game is too easy. I don't even have to sneak around due to the dumb AI who forget you existed after being out of their reach for 5 seconds. the enemies don't even alert other guards. so the roaming around isn't as fun as it could be. but the bottles and treasures are very fun to hunt for I enjoyed that. However here is another flaw that made the game worse than it could be. the textures and buildings are repeated so often it seems they just copied and pasted them, for example the Arabia level, please go play that and see what i mean. the levels don't have many landmarks so i often end up lost (the exception is the prehistoric level) basically the levels are dry and repetitive. here's another good thing. the missions are very well done, although very easy (the exception the archery challenge in medieval England). i find most of the missions fun but it can be repetitive. the black knight boss battle (Penelope)is very fun and had to retry it once. and that is another con the boss battles are a breeze the final boss battle is just hitting triangle square circle and X, the worst part of the final boss battle is you have too much time to hit the buttons, plus if you accidentally hit a wrong button it still lets you try to hit the correct one. just really disappointing how lame the combat is the enemies and bosses totally blow. this game is not all bad but it seemed lazy. i want a sequel that is not as easy please make another one and make it good. final verdict is a 4/10 but that does not mean you can't enjoy some of the fun missions, and cool cooper ancestors. so go ahead and get this game and make your own opinion. enjoy. Expand
  3. Feb 10, 2013
    The game is well made, perfect blend of all the great Cooper games, but it does get boring after a couple of hours and the childish tone doesn't allow me to take the game too seriously.
  4. Jun 14, 2013
    Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time is the return of Sly and his gang, as they take on another adventure this time through time. The story in Thieves in Time is not all that important but stills has great character and some funny jokes. The new cast of characters are interesting but the main villain is a bit one-dimensional. The gameplay in Thieves in Time is the game's strong suit. TheSly Cooper: Thieves in Time is the return of Sly and his gang, as they take on another adventure this time through time. The story in Thieves in Time is not all that important but stills has great character and some funny jokes. The new cast of characters are interesting but the main villain is a bit one-dimensional. The gameplay in Thieves in Time is the game's strong suit. The platforming is better than ever, throwing new and inventive ways of getting from point A to point B. The game does feel a bit to easy at some points, but then the game throws a difficulty spike out of nowhere just to make the game more challenging. The boss fights seem to be the most balanced, as you have to learn their strategies to beat them. Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time feels like a throw back to the old Sly Cooper games, it doesn't do anything new to change the series, but still maintains all the fun of the original trilogy. Expand
  5. Apr 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Sly and the Gang is back for more adventures! And this time, they have a time machine! The Sly hit trilogy, developed by Sucker Punch, and published by Sony is back once again, but this time, Sanzaru games have taken over development. In Sly Cooper thieves in time, you once again play as Sly, Bentley, Murray, Carmelita and a Bunch of sly’s ancestors. You will be traveling to the Ice Age, Medieval england, and so many more! All of the ages look different, and have different enemies.

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time is a very easy game, which means that people who were young when the series was released, are too old to get any form of challenge in this game, except for the bosses. So this is more a blast to the past, than a challenging game. The boss battles feels very generic, and is the same thing, just with a little more difficulty each time you get a shot at them. And you can only attack them, when the game wants you to.

While the game has its good sides, there is certainly also some bad ones, for example the AI, the AI of the enemies are terrible, you can only get seen by them if you are inside of their very little beam of light, if you are outside of this, you can jump around and do all sorts of stuff, without them noticing.

There is a spoiler now, so if you want to skip it, simply just skip the next section.
    In every single age, it feels like the story is the same. You get there, one of your ancestors are captured in some kind of way, you help them escape, and their cooper cane get’s taken by the villain of that age, all of the villains are from your age, and works together with Le paradox. So it feels very repetitive.

Another thing that we do not like is the mini games, the game has quite a lot of them, all from dancing so you have to press the correct button at the correct time, to you throwing pints over a table to some bar customers. When you are playing as bentley, and you need to hack something, it is also a mini-game, there is 3 different kinds of hacking mini-games, the first is a top down tank shooter, the second is one where you have to use the gyroscope in the PS3 controller, and last of all there is a side scrolling one where you are “super” Bentley with a gun.

Thieves in Time, is also one of the games that have cross-saves, which is great! You can play on your PS3 at home, then save the game, and continue on the PS-Vita, this feature is great, and we hope to see this in many more games to come!

So if you are here for the sheer nostalgia, we do recommend Thieves in Time, if you are newcomer to the series, we do not recommend it as it has way too many flaws, and is not difficult at all. We give Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time, a 6.5/10. For more gaming news and reviews, head over to BetaLoot.com
  6. Nov 26, 2013
    The designs are mediocre I will not attempt to buy another watered down game I played one watered down Jak game and the designs suck. I played 2 watered down ratchet games and the designs are worse Sucker punch just why this is your franchise and why did you decide to make Infamous just why like Naughty Dog you abandoned your creativity and go for a less innovative franchise.
  7. PMG
    Jan 25, 2014
    This game may not be as good as the first Sly games, but i don't care. After 8 years of waiting, i was satisfied. The ability to play as Sly's ancestors was a great addition, especially Rioichi. The combat was tight as ever, the charactars are joyfull and the artstyle reminds me of nothing but good memories. My only problem is that the game is really short, and even that is made of forThis game may not be as good as the first Sly games, but i don't care. After 8 years of waiting, i was satisfied. The ability to play as Sly's ancestors was a great addition, especially Rioichi. The combat was tight as ever, the charactars are joyfull and the artstyle reminds me of nothing but good memories. My only problem is that the game is really short, and even that is made of for with good missions and colletables. A great way to make Sly even better! Expand
  8. May 12, 2014
    The childish focus of the game prevents it from aiming higher targets. The combat system is too simple and the development of the game turns quite boring after some hours.
  9. Aug 8, 2015
    This game was a mixed bag for me. It looks really good, the voice acting is great and they got the original composer to do the music! But Sanzaru Games changed a lot of things that they didn't need to change.

The great powerup system from the previous 3 games are gone and are replaced with costumes for Sly and for the rest of the gang the powerups are removed entirely. Instead of tons of great and helpful powerups; the only thing Bentley and Murray have are different variations of attacks that they already have.

The different worlds in all of the different episodes looks good but the majority of them are badly designed and easily forgettable, I can't really put my finger on it but the atmosphere and immersion just isn't there. Speaking of worlds: In Sly 1 and 2 there were bottles that you could collect throughout each world. These were fun to search for and they gave you and awesome reward when you found all 30 of them in each episode.
    In Sly 3 the bottles were gone which was kind of a shame. They do however return in this game but sadly, Sanzaru kinda screwed it up. Since the powerup system is gone you wont get any cool powerups by finding the bottles, like you did in the first two games, you instead get boring "upgrades" like the coins slowly moves towards you or you take no damage when you fall in water. These upgrades are helpful but they are so bland.
    The bottles themselves are also REALLY hard to find. In the first two games it was not too hard, but also not too easy, to find all the bottles since they were usually found near each other. For example if you find one bottle you will most definitely find at least 3 other bottles in that same area. In this game however, they are soooo spread out! And you can barley hear them. That was one of the great clues in the other games, the bottles made loud clinky noises when you were close to them. Here, they make a very faint clinky noise when you are practically RIGHT next to them.

I'd say this game is worth getting but please be aware that if you're a Sly fan then maybe you will be disappointed at some aspects of the game. If you've never played a Sly game before I'd recommend buying the Sly trilogy instead. It's available for the PS3 and PsVita (You can also buy the games separately on PS2). If, however, you only want to buy one Sly game then I'd recommend Sly 2. It has the coolest powerups and the most impressive worlds in my opinion.
  10. Feb 9, 2013
    You know, I've waited 7 years for Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time, and all I can say, is that I now know that every minute was worth the wait. Thank you Sanzaru Games for picking up a series that was thought to be abandoned, but was brought back to life, bigger and better than ever. I am speechless with how amazing this game has turned out and I am so happy, for a lack of a better word, withYou know, I've waited 7 years for Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time, and all I can say, is that I now know that every minute was worth the wait. Thank you Sanzaru Games for picking up a series that was thought to be abandoned, but was brought back to life, bigger and better than ever. I am speechless with how amazing this game has turned out and I am so happy, for a lack of a better word, with what I just experienced. I would've never dreamed that it could be possible but guys have proven yourselves beyond belief. Bravo! Thank you for making this 7 dream come true and exceeding my expectations. Collapse

1. Sep 17, 2013
    Sly is back and we applaud that, kind of. The game is outdated, too simple and too childish. It’s a good deal that you can buy the PS3 and Vita version for the same price, so that offers twice the amount of fun.
  2. The return of Sly Cooper not only signals the return of a classic franchise, but also the return of a classic, almost forgotten genre: the 3D-platformer. Fans can rejoice, because it feels like Sly never truly left the building. [April 2013, p.71]
  3. Apr 13, 2013
    Sly hits the current generation with charm, variety and humour in spades. An excellent return. [May 2013, p.80]