Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time PlayStation 3

8.3

1. Oct 30, 2016
    8 long and tiring years later, the Sly Cooper franchise is finally back, this time in the hands of Sanzaru Games (as opposed to Sucker Punch). Just who is Sanzaru? I don't know but I dig their logo. In all seriousness, Sanzaru Games, the company that remastered the previous 3 games for the PlayStation 3 with "The Sly Collection," was tasked with creating a brand-new Sly Cooper game, this8 long and tiring years later, the Sly Cooper franchise is finally back, this time in the hands of Sanzaru Games (as opposed to Sucker Punch). Just who is Sanzaru? I don't know but I dig their logo. In all seriousness, Sanzaru Games, the company that remastered the previous 3 games for the PlayStation 3 with "The Sly Collection," was tasked with creating a brand-new Sly Cooper game, this one being known as "Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time." After 8 years of waiting, how is the final game? Well, it's abundantly clear that Sanzaru knows what they are doing.
    "Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time" shows us just how much Sanzaru respects the Sly Cooper franchise, while also showing how much they care about making a great Sly game. The end result is a game that has a well-told story, wonderful protagonists, gorgeous visuals, very fun and considerably varied gameplay, and large open-worlds. Sanzaru took a huge gamble by taking on a franchise that has mostly laid dormant for 8 years, but they did it, and what's more, they made the game good!
    Of course, it's not the perfect experience. The extremely long loading times really break the immersion and the game could've easily done without the shoehorned Sixaxis controls, and the villains are not as interesting as in previous games (let's not talk about The Grizz, please).
    A point of contention that could go either way is the game's length. Outside of "Sly 2: Band of Thieves," which struck the perfect balance in length, length has been a problem with the series, as the series's other games all felt a bit too short. Sanzaru took note of this game, and made it surprisingly beefy, adding a ton of collectables that help increase the game's length. Whether or not this is a good thing is tough to decide, though: it's nice to see that it's not too short, but it feels like the game can feel a bit too beefy if you wanted to 100% the game like I did. Some may like that it has this much content, others may think it's overkill. Regardless, when all is said and done, "Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time" is a worthy successor to the original trilogy and a worthwhile addition to any PS3 collection.
  2. Sep 4, 2016
    Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time is the fourth title of the Sly Cooper series of platform stealth video games. This game was developed by Sanzaru Games and published by Sony Computer Entertainment.

+ Cross Buy/Save
    + Fun Gameplay
    + Great Voice Acting
    + Fun Characters
    + Mini Games
  3. Sep 2, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Sly Cooper: Thieves In Time is an action/adventure 3D platforming game, and is also my first Sly game I have ever played. I have played it from beginning to end, and am now currently in the process of working towards the platinum trophy. Needless to say, I have seen quite a bit of this game, and now I shall breakdown how I feel about it.

Graphics: The look, colors, and overall presentation of the game are nice. Character models are fun, and animations/cutscenes are also fun to look at. It bears a cel-shaded look which reminds me of Wind Waker. Bottom line for the graphics is that they are just fine. It resembles a cartoon look, with cartoon characters, and yes cartoonish humor. It works well.

Sound: It's not that great. The sound effects are very standard, and sound like they came off of some soundboard app. As for the actual music for the game, it's very boring. I actually found myself shutting the music off because I'd rather hear the clinking clank of collectible hidden bottles scattered throughout the game, because they make a distinct sound when you are near them. The most praise I can give for this game in this department is that the voice acting is top notch and enjoyable.

Controls: They are ok. Just ok. I mean you are able to get things done relatively easy, however there are some gripes. There are areas where Sly or other playable characters can access, but require a button to press. For example the circle button is needed to jump onto a wire suspended in the air, but lets say that the wire is just a little bit out of reach. This will require you to perform a double jump towards that wire. To perform a double jump you obviously need to press the X button twice. You would think this would be enough, but it isn't. Now you must press circle in order to "verify" that's where you want to jump. So it's 3 button inputs for most of your jumps in this game. Very unnecessary, and annoying. Speaking of annoying another gripe I have with the controls is that since the game allows you to play as quite a number of different characters, there is no move list in the options. The only way to review any moves while in game is to look at them through thiefnet (an upgrade screen only accessible via the hideout) with so many playable characters and so many purchasable moves to use, you would think they would put a move list in the options! One last thing to mention about the controls....the camera often gets stuck on or behind objects. The camera does not clip through objects in game and can easily get obstructed. A rookie mistake for sure.

Gameplay: The game has a lot going for it, such as nice hub worlds, entertaining missions, different playable characters, and lots of treasures to find, and pockets to pick. However the game suffers from quite a bit of bad things as well. Enemies are strewn about all over the place, and while I enjoy a challenge, it seems to be in overkill mode here. The moves sly gets to use are all pretty much useless once you get a move that allows you to quickly dispatch foes from behind. Instead of the game putting you into situations where you may need to employ different moves onto different enemies, this game just lets you do what you want for the most part, which is good, but bad at the same time. In other words I felt the game was very easy. Other issues with the game include poorly lit areas, choppy jumping, lazy missions (mostly found in the 3rd and 4th episode) annoying boss battles, no checklist for sly masks (a collectible), treasures are not placed in order in hideout to make a nice and easy checklist (most treasures are placed in order, but for some reason a few are out of place and have messed me up) and many more inconsistencies. I noticed some major rookie mistakes in the game, and was a bit confused since this is Sly's 4th outing on consoles. I knew something had to be wrong, and then I looked it up and noticed the developer is someone new. Sanzaru games developed this latest installment, and not Sucker Punch. So perhaps Sanzaru still has room to grow.

In Conclusion I know that reviewing a 3 year old game is quite a bit late, but I just had to put down my feelings on how I viewed it. It's not a great game, but it's not terrible either. I think a 7 is a fair score. While it lacks in some departments, it makes up for it in others. Now that the game is a few years old it would definitely be worth the price tag. I wouldn't pay no more than 20 bucks for this game, and thats about what you can find it for new, and even less used.
  4. Nov 19, 2015
    Lots of game play. Fun playing all the characters. Large hubs to explore on each level. Can be a little repetitive at times. Story line is entertaining if predictable. A good addition to the Sly Cooper line.
  5. Oct 31, 2015
    As you could see from my previous review, I thought this game was the worst thing ever. However, even though it took me a while, I've finally took off my nostalgia blinders and saw this game for what it truly is. This game is amazing! The graphics are beautiful, the music really sets the mood for Sly Cooper, the ancestors were done perfectly, there are many fun collectibles to be found,As you could see from my previous review, I thought this game was the worst thing ever. However, even though it took me a while, I've finally took off my nostalgia blinders and saw this game for what it truly is. This game is amazing! The graphics are beautiful, the music really sets the mood for Sly Cooper, the ancestors were done perfectly, there are many fun collectibles to be found, the villains are memorable, the characters are just as lively as ever, and overall I think Sanzaru did a great job capturing the feel of Sly Cooper. Yes it has it's technical flaws like with the loading times being lengthy and the writing not being as....smart as the previous games, but if you take the time to just play the game without comparing the previous games to it, you will find it to be an enjoyable experience. Sly Cooper is the greatest game series of all time, and no matter what happens to it, we the fans have to be supportive of it. After all, our opinions are what matters in the long run and what really determines the future of our beloved gang. Expand
  6. Aug 8, 2015
    This game was a mixed bag for me. It looks really good, the voice acting is great and they got the original composer to do the music! But Sanzaru Games changed a lot of things that they didn't need to change.

The great powerup system from the previous 3 games are gone and are replaced with costumes for Sly and for the rest of the gang the powerups are removed entirely. Instead of tons of great and helpful powerups; the only thing Bentley and Murray have are different variations of attacks that they already have.

The different worlds in all of the different episodes looks good but the majority of them are badly designed and easily forgettable, I can't really put my finger on it but the atmosphere and immersion just isn't there. Speaking of worlds: In Sly 1 and 2 there were bottles that you could collect throughout each world. These were fun to search for and they gave you and awesome reward when you found all 30 of them in each episode.
    In Sly 3 the bottles were gone which was kind of a shame. They do however return in this game but sadly, Sanzaru kinda screwed it up. Since the powerup system is gone you wont get any cool powerups by finding the bottles, like you did in the first two games, you instead get boring "upgrades" like the coins slowly moves towards you or you take no damage when you fall in water. These upgrades are helpful but they are so bland.
    The bottles themselves are also REALLY hard to find. In the first two games it was not too hard, but also not too easy, to find all the bottles since they were usually found near each other. For example if you find one bottle you will most definitely find at least 3 other bottles in that same area. In this game however, they are soooo spread out! And you can barley hear them. That was one of the great clues in the other games, the bottles made loud clinky noises when you were close to them. Here, they make a very faint clinky noise when you are practically RIGHT next to them.

I'd say this game is worth getting but please be aware that if you're a Sly fan then maybe you will be disappointed at some aspects of the game. If you've never played a Sly game before I'd recommend buying the Sly trilogy instead. It's available for the PS3 and PsVita (You can also buy the games separately on PS2). If, however, you only want to buy one Sly game then I'd recommend Sly 2. It has the coolest powerups and the most impressive worlds in my opinion.
  7. Feb 23, 2015
    This game was great! There are a lot of collectibles, unlockables, and the return of clue bottles kept me coming back for me. They also added new things to the hideout like an arcade and ping pong.
  8. Jun 14, 2014
    Guess what? I found a site that's giving PSN codes away for free! http://freepsncodes.cc and i finished all the games there the best games on the whole world
  9. Jun 11, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Sly 4: Thieves in Time was develop by Sanzaru games and when i played this i was not happy with the results 1. The music is just annoying mostly the trumpet in the boss fight music 2. there's allot of collectibles im fine with that but they add a timer to all of them and in sly 2 the items never had a timer (besides the ones with bombs) 3. The boss fights are all the same: doge all the attacks which waste time and then attack for 8 seconds and back to dogging, the final boss fight is simple PUSH BUTTONS! THIS IS NOT THE STANLEY PARABLE! 4. the player models are weird, Sly is just a HD model of the original, Bentley changed to some sci-fi chair and Murray looks like a 80-year old person 5. Carmelita BARLEY DOES ANYTHING! she only belly dances at the second to final world and that brings me to 6. THERE ARE ONLY SIX WORLDS! AND ONE IS REPEATED SO THERE IS FIVE WORLDS! 7. the "special" ending that shows at the end (via collecting EVERYTHING) is sly waking up in a Desert and then...CLIFFHANGER! 9. the gadgets suck, you can't even call them gadgets, Sly gets costumes mostly, Bentley gets different element darts, and Murray gets elemental fist PLUS there's different types of weapon upgrades to Carmelita but you won't be playing as her anytime soon. in all the game sucks, ZERO out of TEN. Expand
  10. May 24, 2014
    At first, Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time seems really simplistic and boring...especially when comparing it to the many 3.D. platform games of our time. If you enjoy collectibles and puzzle-based gaming with platforming, then you should enjoy this. The script is extremely well done...though it's obvious that it has been written for children or young teenagers, this isn't a bad thing, it justAt first, Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time seems really simplistic and boring...especially when comparing it to the many 3.D. platform games of our time. If you enjoy collectibles and puzzle-based gaming with platforming, then you should enjoy this. The script is extremely well done...though it's obvious that it has been written for children or young teenagers, this isn't a bad thing, it just won't feel all that funny due to adult maturity. Expand
  11. May 20, 2014
    este juego es muy bueno como los de ps2 el control necesita mejoramiento pero es bueno tiene la esencia de la trilogia original pero hay cosas que deben estar mejoradas por eso el 9
  12. May 12, 2014
    The childish focus of the game prevents it from aiming higher targets. The combat system is too simple and the development of the game turns quite boring after some hours.
  13. Feb 23, 2014
    sly cooper thieves in time is worthy of the sly name despite it not being from sucker punch this game is really true to the original 3 games. in this game Bentley discovers that the thevious racoonis pages are dissapearing. so he tells sly and then sly and the gang use Bentley's time machine to go back in time and fix the past. the game is really fun nice call backs to the previous gamessly cooper thieves in time is worthy of the sly name despite it not being from sucker punch this game is really true to the original 3 games. in this game Bentley discovers that the thevious racoonis pages are dissapearing. so he tells sly and then sly and the gang use Bentley's time machine to go back in time and fix the past. the game is really fun nice call backs to the previous games and a little nostalgia here and there but not overboard. the real "gimmick" to this game is the chance to play as sly's ancestors, each have there own ability that can help you progress the game. even though this game is pretty good it does have its flaws. one is the load times can be pretty long and there is quite a number of them. second the last area of the game and final boss is anti-climatic. but in spite those flaws the game is a pretty good game and if you are a fan of the sly games you should get it and even if your not get it anyway it will be worth it. Expand
  14. PMG
    Jan 25, 2014
    This game may not be as good as the first Sly games, but i don't care. After 8 years of waiting, i was satisfied. The ability to play as Sly's ancestors was a great addition, especially Rioichi. The combat was tight as ever, the charactars are joyfull and the artstyle reminds me of nothing but good memories. My only problem is that the game is really short, and even that is made of forThis game may not be as good as the first Sly games, but i don't care. After 8 years of waiting, i was satisfied. The ability to play as Sly's ancestors was a great addition, especially Rioichi. The combat was tight as ever, the charactars are joyfull and the artstyle reminds me of nothing but good memories. My only problem is that the game is really short, and even that is made of for with good missions and colletables. A great way to make Sly even better! Expand
  15. Jan 19, 2014
    I've enjoyed the Sly franchise since a was a kid. But this game blew my mind! It's awesome! The story is good but short. I've had a lot of fun with Sly´s ancestors. It's expensive for a game like this.
  16. Jan 14, 2014
    Alright, it doesn't do anything wrong, in fact it does almost everything right. But it was played much too safe for my liking, nothing really spectacular was added since the third game, but it's still fun.
    The very second I beat Sly 3, I knew that I would be playing as his ancestors in the next game, but the settings, while interesting and nice to look at, seem to be missing the charm you'd find from the more modern ones in previous installments. Most of them look like they're made of the same material. It's an overall good game, it does everything the other games did, but does play it a bit safe. The powers you can purchase should be avoided, you become nearly unable to be detected, able to kill everything in one hit, and turn you into some sort of turbo-ultra-super-mega-HD-power person that can do everything, eliminating all challenge from the game.
    The character's new looks all were ported very nicely to the current gen and look pretty nice (Besides Carmelita, ew.)
    The graphics are nice looking.
    The controls are the same, so if you were worrying that they'd be more stiff like I was, don't worry, they aren't.
    Any way, overall, it's good.
    If you're a fan of sly cooper, I suggest trying it.
  17. Dec 22, 2013
    Sly Cooper: Thieves is a great sequel to a Playstation 2 classic. It has it's usual fun gameplay and story, as well as having a great cast if characters. The only issue is it's excruciatingly long load times, so be prepared to wait a while.
  18. Nov 26, 2013
    The designs are mediocre I will not attempt to buy another watered down game I played one watered down Jak game and the designs suck. I played 2 watered down ratchet games and the designs are worse Sucker punch just why this is your franchise and why did you decide to make Infamous just why like Naughty Dog you abandoned your creativity and go for a less innovative franchise.
  19. Nov 24, 2013
    The return of Sly Cooper was much anticipated by all fans, however, I feel that this game lack the liveliness of the previous games, Even though Thieves in Time presents some new concepts, such as the new costumes and playable ancestors, the cons outweigh the pros. The story is bland and repetitive, the graphics are too fancy, the hacking is strange and unlike the classic, the worlds haveThe return of Sly Cooper was much anticipated by all fans, however, I feel that this game lack the liveliness of the previous games, Even though Thieves in Time presents some new concepts, such as the new costumes and playable ancestors, the cons outweigh the pros. The story is bland and repetitive, the graphics are too fancy, the hacking is strange and unlike the classic, the worlds have too many levels, the mission order is too straightforward, unlike the previous games, when you could choose what order you wanted to do the missions in; the binocucom controls are different, the game doesn't retain the comic book feel that Sly games are known for, the music is annoying, the menu themes are too uniform, and the game is overall too quirky rather than stealthlike and mysterious. Thieves in Time has lost the culture of Cooper thievery that was refined in Band of Thieves and instead left us with an empty shell of what used to be our favorite raccoon. Expand
  20. Nov 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's kinda lame as hell compared to the 2 previous games. The way you control your characters feels weird and different, and not in a good way. Guards now became a pain in the ass, and engaging in combat with them is useless. Sly is supposed to be swift, now you can't even do the stealth move properly and they kinda focused too much on Sly's costumes, you don't even feel like a thief anymore. The game was supposed to be comic styled, not cartoonish, yet another thing ruined. I only bought this game because it's Sly, the story isn't bad at all but I don't expect a new Sly game to be any better than this one. Expand
  21. Oct 29, 2013
    Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time brings back the old and great feeling of the series. This game is really fun and it still feels like you are playing in a cartoon. The only problems I have with this game are the sixaxis controls and the long loading times. Other than that, this is my favorite Sly Cooper game other than Sly 2.
  22. Aug 26, 2013
    Sly cooper thieves in time is a very funny game.The developers have changed everything.The game has big maps, great story, new moves and new characters to play.One thing i like the most in sly thieves in time is that apart from searching bottles you can search for treasures in the vast map.One thing the developers could do was to make a multiplayer with character customization and chooseSly cooper thieves in time is a very funny game.The developers have changed everything.The game has big maps, great story, new moves and new characters to play.One thing i like the most in sly thieves in time is that apart from searching bottles you can search for treasures in the vast map.One thing the developers could do was to make a multiplayer with character customization and choose your weapons.Anyway Sly thieves in time is the best game i've ever played this year.I suggest you to buy it. Expand
  23. Jul 6, 2013
    Sly Cooper games have always been masterpiece. And this one is good, but not that as others. There are new fresh things, like playing ancestors and that's awesome but game's main issue is it's difficult been so easy. All boss fights are easy and missions weren't that hard neither, compared to Sly Trilogy. It's story wasn't that long neither, compared to others.

But that's only issue.

But that's only issue. Ancestors, time-travelling, new costumes, unlockables, and bottles being back and new treasures, this game has lot to give. Buy it, if you're Sly Cooper fan or new to the series, since you will get your money's worth but it will be easy, if you've played Sly trilogy.
  24. Jun 23, 2013
    The raccoon is back! New developer but the game is faithful to the original Sly games. Sly thieves in time is a safe buy if you liked the old sly games. The biggest flaw is the load times. Sly's load times are very very very long. But overall Thieves in Time has proved that Sly is still one of the best plat former games.
  25. Jun 20, 2013
    When I was a kid, I played all of the Sly games on my PS2. They were and still are some of my favorite games. Does this game hold up for a fan who experienced the older ones? Yes, yes it does. Not only does it have the nostalgia going for it, but the overall gameplay is superb, and the voice acting is pretty well done too, since Bentley, Sly, and Murray have the same voice actors thatWhen I was a kid, I played all of the Sly games on my PS2. They were and still are some of my favorite games. Does this game hold up for a fan who experienced the older ones? Yes, yes it does. Not only does it have the nostalgia going for it, but the overall gameplay is superb, and the voice acting is pretty well done too, since Bentley, Sly, and Murray have the same voice actors that they used to. The graphics are beautiful for a game like that, and there are few glitches throughout. My main quarrel with this game is that it was to short for me. I finished it in about 7-9 hours, which is good, but Sly 2 took me around 12. I would've liked if this game had a few more 'episodes'. All in all, though, Sanzaru Games did a great job. I'm glad to have bought this game. I hope to see more Slys in the future, because Sanzaru is more than capable. Expand
  26. Jun 15, 2013
    Its great, Its another sly game and it takes me back to a simpler, more fun time in gaming. but ultimately this game is even better on the vita. You see, i found that the ps3 game, while great, i would only spend a couple hours in it and then forget about it for weeks... but the vita version i play every day and cannot stop playing. the vita version runs at half the fps and has someIts great, Its another sly game and it takes me back to a simpler, more fun time in gaming. but ultimately this game is even better on the vita. You see, i found that the ps3 game, while great, i would only spend a couple hours in it and then forget about it for weeks... but the vita version i play every day and cannot stop playing. the vita version runs at half the fps and has some milling effects but i just find it so much more engaging... so for ps3 8/10 for vita 10/10 Expand
  27. Jun 14, 2013
    Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time is the return of Sly and his gang, as they take on another adventure this time through time. The story in Thieves in Time is not all that important but stills has great character and some funny jokes. The new cast of characters are interesting but the main villain is a bit one-dimensional. The gameplay in Thieves in Time is the game's strong suit. TheSly Cooper: Thieves in Time is the return of Sly and his gang, as they take on another adventure this time through time. The story in Thieves in Time is not all that important but stills has great character and some funny jokes. The new cast of characters are interesting but the main villain is a bit one-dimensional. The gameplay in Thieves in Time is the game's strong suit. The platforming is better than ever, throwing new and inventive ways of getting from point A to point B. The game does feel a bit to easy at some points, but then the game throws a difficulty spike out of nowhere just to make the game more challenging. The boss fights seem to be the most balanced, as you have to learn their strategies to beat them. Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time feels like a throw back to the old Sly Cooper games, it doesn't do anything new to change the series, but still maintains all the fun of the original trilogy. Expand
  28. Apr 26, 2013
    Story has some issues, but with overwhelming characters, awesome gameplay and top notch voice acting, Makes the game awesome. Not online it has a lot of content but is a pretty lengthy campaign.
  29. Apr 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. i have waited half my life for this game to come out, and i'm not disappointed. at first, the idea of Sanzaru doing the game instead of Sucker Punch was terrifying, since that's the formula for a ruined series (handing off amazing game series to new developer to fugg it up that is). this game it quite different from the past 3, there's no gadget grid, you use costumes much more and thiefnet provides you with power ups instead of gadgets. you get to play free roam with Carmelita whenever you'd like (which is amazing). my only gripe is are the loading screens, they're annoying on Vita and PS3, however the game is still a priceless work of art. Expand
  30. Apr 23, 2013
    As a Sly Cooper lover and "Fan-boy", i was filled with bliss when i saw a forth installment was in the work. So, i was generally satisfied with the whole game and Sanzaru did a wonderful job recreating the Sly Cooper feel in this installment. Yet, due to long load time and easy Final Boss Fight it feeling like what it is a Video Game. I felt like it was a step shy from transferring you inAs a Sly Cooper lover and "Fan-boy", i was filled with bliss when i saw a forth installment was in the work. So, i was generally satisfied with the whole game and Sanzaru did a wonderful job recreating the Sly Cooper feel in this installment. Yet, due to long load time and easy Final Boss Fight it feeling like what it is a Video Game. I felt like it was a step shy from transferring you in to a alternate dimension of our world. These were Genuinely the only flaws and love this game. Expand

1. Sep 17, 2013
    Sly is back and we applaud that, kind of. The game is outdated, too simple and too childish. It’s a good deal that you can buy the PS3 and Vita version for the same price, so that offers twice the amount of fun.
  2. Official PlayStation Magazine Benelux
    Apr 22, 2013
    The return of Sly Cooper not only signals the return of a classic franchise, but also the return of a classic, almost forgotten genre: the 3D-platformer. Fans can rejoice, because it feels like Sly never truly left the building. [April 2013, p.71]
  3. Games Master UK
    Apr 13, 2013
    Sly hits the current generation with charm, variety and humour in spades. An excellent return. [May 2013, p.80]