Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time PlayStation 3

8.4

1. Nov 19, 2015
    Lots of game play. Fun playing all the characters. Large hubs to explore on each level. Can be a little repetitive at times. Story line is entertaining if predictable. A good addition to the Sly Cooper line.
  2. May 24, 2017
    8 long and tiring years later, the Sly Cooper franchise is finally back, this time in the hands of Sanzaru Games (as opposed to Sucker Punch). Just who is Sanzaru? I don't know but I dig their logo! In all seriousness, Sanzaru Games, the company that remastered the previous 3 games for the PlayStation 3 with "The Sly Collection" was tasked with creating a brand-new Sly Cooper game, this8 long and tiring years later, the Sly Cooper franchise is finally back, this time in the hands of Sanzaru Games (as opposed to Sucker Punch). Just who is Sanzaru? I don't know but I dig their logo! In all seriousness, Sanzaru Games, the company that remastered the previous 3 games for the PlayStation 3 with "The Sly Collection" was tasked with creating a brand-new Sly Cooper game, this one being known as "Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time." After 8 years of waiting, how is the final game? Well, it's abundantly clear that Sanzaru knows what they are doing.
    "Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time" shows us just how much Sanzaru respects the Sly Cooper franchise, while also showing how much they care about making a great Sly game. The end result is a game that has a well-told story, wonderful protagonists, gorgeous visuals, very fun and considerably varied gameplay, and large open-worlds. Sanzaru took a huge gamble by taking on a franchise that has mostly laid dormant for 8 years, but they did it, and what's more, they made the game good!
    Of course, it's not the perfect experience. The extremely long loading times really break the immersion and the game could've easily done without the shoehorned Sixaxis controls, and the villains are not as interesting as in previous games (let's not talk about The Grizz, please). Oh, and since everyone will bring it up, the big plot-twist that I don't want to spoil is terrible, too. You'll know what I'm talking about as soon as it happens.
    A point of contention that could go either way is the game's length. Outside of "Sly 2: Band of Thieves," which struck the perfect balance in length, length has been a problem with the series, as the series's other games all felt a bit too short. Sanzaru took note of this game, and made it surprisingly beefy, adding a ton of collectibles that help increase the game's length. Whether or not this is a good thing is tough to decide, though: it's nice to see that it's not too short, but it feels like the game can feel a bit too beefy if you wanted to 100% the game like I did. Some may like that it has this much content, others may think it's overkill.
    Regardless, when all is said and done, "Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time" is a worthy successor to the original trilogy and a worthwhile addition to any PS3 collection.
    Final rating: 8 out of 10 "Great"
  3. Dec 22, 2013
    Sly Cooper: Thieves is a great sequel to a Playstation 2 classic. It has it's usual fun gameplay and story, as well as having a great cast if characters. The only issue is it's excruciatingly long load times, so be prepared to wait a while.
  4. Sep 4, 2016
    Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time is the fourth title of the Sly Cooper series of platform stealth video games. This game was developed by Sanzaru Games and published by Sony Computer Entertainment.

+ Cross Buy/Save
    + Fun Gameplay
    + Great Voice Acting
    + Fun Characters
    + Mini Games
  5. Feb 23, 2015
    This game was great! There are a lot of collectibles, unlockables, and the return of clue bottles kept me coming back for me. They also added new things to the hideout like an arcade and ping pong.
  6. Jun 23, 2013
    The raccoon is back! New developer but the game is faithful to the original Sly games. Sly thieves in time is a safe buy if you liked the old sly games. The biggest flaw is the load times. Sly's load times are very very very long. But overall Thieves in Time has proved that Sly is still one of the best plat former games.
  7. Feb 6, 2013
    Classic Sly. The gameplay, the characters, the charm-- nothing has changed. It's nice to see that Sony is keeping up with their best platformer franchise in a time when Crash, Jak, and Ratchet have been somewhat forgone. If you loved Sly 2 and 3 as I did, then this game is for you. Highly recommended for fans of platformer, stealth, and open-world gameplay.
  8. May 24, 2014
    At first, Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time seems really simplistic and boring...especially when comparing it to the many 3.D. platform games of our time. If you enjoy collectibles and puzzle-based gaming with platforming, then you should enjoy this. The script is extremely well done...though it's obvious that it has been written for children or young teenagers, this isn't a bad thing, it justAt first, Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time seems really simplistic and boring...especially when comparing it to the many 3.D. platform games of our time. If you enjoy collectibles and puzzle-based gaming with platforming, then you should enjoy this. The script is extremely well done...though it's obvious that it has been written for children or young teenagers, this isn't a bad thing, it just won't feel all that funny due to adult maturity. Expand
  9. May 20, 2014
    este juego es muy bueno como los de ps2 el control necesita mejoramiento pero es bueno tiene la esencia de la trilogia original pero hay cosas que deben estar mejoradas por eso el 9
  10. Jun 15, 2013
    Its great, Its another sly game and it takes me back to a simpler, more fun time in gaming. but ultimately this game is even better on the vita. You see, i found that the ps3 game, while great, i would only spend a couple hours in it and then forget about it for weeks... but the vita version i play every day and cannot stop playing. the vita version runs at half the fps and has someIts great, Its another sly game and it takes me back to a simpler, more fun time in gaming. but ultimately this game is even better on the vita. You see, i found that the ps3 game, while great, i would only spend a couple hours in it and then forget about it for weeks... but the vita version i play every day and cannot stop playing. the vita version runs at half the fps and has some milling effects but i just find it so much more engaging... so for ps3 8/10 for vita 10/10 Expand
  11. Mar 29, 2013
    The wonderful thieving raccoon is finally back after seven and a half years, and I think that it's almost as good as the originals despite it being developed by a different developer. If you're a fan of the previous games like me, you'll have no problems with any of the gameplay mechanics, everything is the same as Sly 2 and 3 with the exception of the abilities purchased from thiefnet.The wonderful thieving raccoon is finally back after seven and a half years, and I think that it's almost as good as the originals despite it being developed by a different developer. If you're a fan of the previous games like me, you'll have no problems with any of the gameplay mechanics, everything is the same as Sly 2 and 3 with the exception of the abilities purchased from thiefnet. However, I didn't like a few of the small changes like the very small amount of hooks to swing from and not being able to map abilities to the L1, L2 and R2 buttons. Sly's gameplay is a little better because of the addition of the costumes that he gets in each era though. All minor flaws aside, the platforming gameplay is as great and fun as it was and still is. I liked pretty much everything else in the game too, especially the story. It's just a simple story that obviously continues from Sly 3. The only big problems I had with game at all were the load times and occasional framerate drops. The loading times are just ridiculous, sometimes I've had to wait thirty seconds or more for the game to load. The framerate drops are annoying as well, the framerate is usually fantastic, but every now and then it will just drop for a few seconds and it's just something that I found to be a little bit annoying. Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time is a truly fantastic game and a game that's worthy of being in the Sly Cooper franchise. A few minor annoyances can't slow it down, it's still a great game, and any Sly Cooper fan must have it and any gamer would find it to be a great experience. Expand
  12. Mar 21, 2013
    As a huge fan of the series' previous instalments I have been eagerly awaiting this game's release. Its justified too, because Sly's PS3 debut is as beautifully designed and giddyingly fun to play as the PS2 games, now sporting brilliant life-like textures and some seriously fun game play. This game won't be to all tastes but yet I am out of this game' target audience and I LOVE itAs a huge fan of the series' previous instalments I have been eagerly awaiting this game's release. Its justified too, because Sly's PS3 debut is as beautifully designed and giddyingly fun to play as the PS2 games, now sporting brilliant life-like textures and some seriously fun game play. This game won't be to all tastes but yet I am out of this game' target audience and I LOVE it regardless. Every ancestor and villain has a solid personality and is well designed. The only thing I can say I HATED was the boss battles, and its the only obstacle in the way of this scoring a perfect 10. They are annoyingly repetitive, and are a great shame as on PS2 the boss fights were one of the best bits. But Thieves in Time is enough to convince me that Sanzaru can do now wrong with the license, and if Sucker Punch doesn't want to return to this series (really looking unlikely) then, with a few tweaks to the gaming mechanics, this game is a great reason why we need even more Sly, possibly next-gen. Roll on Sly 5. Expand
  13. Mar 3, 2013
    Let me say this game is terribly underrated. The mechanics are great, voice acting is superb, the story is well done, and the characters and humor are some of the most likeable, ever. The visuals are also gorgeous: while the art style and colors are unbeatable, I was expecting maybe slightly more detailed and advanced visuals from a ps3 Sly (ie fur physics, etc).
    So, everyone, go buy this
    So, everyone, go buy this game. IT'S ONLY FORTY EFFING DOLLARS FOR PS3 AND VITA COMBINED! Do you need any excuse not to buy this?
    One of the only ps2 style games left in this gen and onward. Please support games like this.
  14. Mar 7, 2013
    I love the series and this was an excellent addition to it as well, it was fun and full of surprises. The only thing that I didn't like is that the loading screens taking up to 30 seconds between missions making the game less tolerable. Other than that I love the game
  15. Feb 15, 2013
    By far this is my second favorite in the series. Sly 2 will always have a special place in my heart due to nostalgia. But this game has it all. So many collectibles, great dialogue, great story, and charming characters. The graphics look absolutely amazing. Keep it up Sanzaru! I expect another fantastic game from you!
  16. Apr 23, 2013
    Sly Cooper has been given another solid piece to add to the already beloved franchise, but players looking for innovation will be disappointed. The strengths still lie in the platform gameplay, quirky characters and fun story. The cross buy and save features at a $40 price tag leaves no excuse for fans of the series.
  17. Feb 21, 2013
    It's Sly Cooper, right to the heart, and it's perfect in that way! Those who have already played the serie will find all that make these games great and a little more, it's full of new and incredible characters, with each one with it's own personality and moves, new places to explore (and believe me they are beautiful) and some of the most incredible cutscene to come to life in thisIt's Sly Cooper, right to the heart, and it's perfect in that way! Those who have already played the serie will find all that make these games great and a little more, it's full of new and incredible characters, with each one with it's own personality and moves, new places to explore (and believe me they are beautiful) and some of the most incredible cutscene to come to life in this generation, beautiful and fun to watch. This is an incredible platform game, for those who love the genre wait no longer! Expand
  18. Jul 6, 2013
    Sly Cooper games have always been masterpiece. And this one is good, but not that as others. There are new fresh things, like playing ancestors and that's awesome but game's main issue is it's difficult been so easy. All boss fights are easy and missions weren't that hard neither, compared to Sly Trilogy. It's story wasn't that long neither, compared to others.

But that's only issue.

But that's only issue. Ancestors, time-travelling, new costumes, unlockables, and bottles being back and new treasures, this game has lot to give. Buy it, if you're Sly Cooper fan or new to the series, since you will get your money's worth but it will be easy, if you've played Sly trilogy.
  19. Feb 6, 2013
    This is Gabe N

Welcome to Sly Cooper Thieves In Time

After years in development, hopefully it was worth the wait.

And my favorites class is the Sly

Thanks, and have fun!
  20. Oct 29, 2013
    Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time brings back the old and great feeling of the series. This game is really fun and it still feels like you are playing in a cartoon. The only problems I have with this game are the sixaxis controls and the long loading times. Other than that, this is my favorite Sly Cooper game other than Sly 2.
  21. Aug 26, 2013
    Sly cooper thieves in time is a very funny game.The developers have changed everything.The game has big maps, great story, new moves and new characters to play.One thing i like the most in sly thieves in time is that apart from searching bottles you can search for treasures in the vast map.One thing the developers could do was to make a multiplayer with character customization and chooseSly cooper thieves in time is a very funny game.The developers have changed everything.The game has big maps, great story, new moves and new characters to play.One thing i like the most in sly thieves in time is that apart from searching bottles you can search for treasures in the vast map.One thing the developers could do was to make a multiplayer with character customization and choose your weapons.Anyway Sly thieves in time is the best game i've ever played this year.I suggest you to buy it. Expand
  22. Feb 5, 2013
    This is positively one of the top two Sly Cooper games EVER made. Though there are some things that may be bothersome at the beginning, you quickly get over them. The ancestors are all individual personalities, the story is, though slightly cliche, very well presented, and the writing makes you laugh (in a positive way) at every turn.

This game is definitely a worthy successor of the

This game is definitely a worthy successor of the original Sly Cooper series.
  23. Mar 21, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Sly series is one of my faves, and probably the most underrated Playstation franchise. The characters are as charming as ever, with numerous hilarious lines and moments. But now there are ancestors to change up the gameplay even more. Don't worry; these aren't just reskins of Sly, they all play differently with unique moves and awesome special moves/stealth takedowns. The game boasts the best soundtrack of the 4 entries, the hub world themes are particularly good this time. The graphics are beautiful, sporting great particle effects and a cel-shaded style that'll look amazing for years and years.Unfortunately, they may be too beautiful, as drops in framerate happen way too often, and the loading times are ridiculous. In addition, the story could've been a lot stronger, especially the main villain. He isn't a terrible villain, but we know little about him 'til the end, and his final fight sucks in comparison to the rest in the game. Lastly, Carmelita doesn't look the way I think she should and Penelope's storyline is disappointing for many reasons. However, like I've shown with my score, the game's goodness far outweighs the flaws and is an incredible deal at $40. Expand
  24. Apr 25, 2017
    I would’ve never thought that this would be my FAVOURITE sly game, even better than Sly 1. The story is not as good as the past 3 games, but the gameplay is at it’s best. The open world is for the first time not a problem for me since it’s full of collectibles like sly masks, clue bottles and treasures making it fun to explore. On top of that you get costumes that you use in missions andI would’ve never thought that this would be my FAVOURITE sly game, even better than Sly 1. The story is not as good as the past 3 games, but the gameplay is at it’s best. The open world is for the first time not a problem for me since it’s full of collectibles like sly masks, clue bottles and treasures making it fun to explore. On top of that you get costumes that you use in missions and to get to treasures in the open world. But it doesn’t stop there, you can also play as Sly’s ancestors, which play much like Sly but with a Special move. The bosses and mini games are as fun as always. And this game's upgrades are the most useful in the franchise, there’s even an upgrade that let you run on ropes. The only thing that I can complain about, are the load times, which are way to long and frequent. Overall I think that it's an amazing game and I’m very much hoping for a Sly 5 in the near future.
    SCORE: 9.3 / 10
  25. Feb 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time is a very welcome addition to the Sly Cooper franchise. As Sanzaru pushed for when it was first announced, "it looks like Sly, it feels like Sly." From the ancestors each of whom have a different personality to the story itself which takes twists at every corner Thieves in Time is a game that every fan of Sly Cooper needs to play. There's just no other way to put it.

This, of course, is not a perfect game; while it comes very close, there were a couple of things it could have done without. Spark Runner (the motion-controlled hacking) does not belong here. It's extremely clunky and can really aggravate players. Also, QTEs (press X when it says to press X) should not have been in this game. They were overused, especially when the final boss was almost nothing except QTEs. Finally and this is just a personal gripe, I suppose I don't like how they made Penelope a traitor.

Now, all of that said, there was WAAAYYYYYY more good in this game than bad, and I will be playing Thieves in Time for a long time afterward. I, for one, welcome our new Sly Cooper developer. Well played, Sanzaru, well played.
  26. Jan 14, 2014
    Alright, it doesn't do anything wrong, in fact it does almost everything right. But it was played much too safe for my liking, nothing really spectacular was added since the third game, but it's still fun.
    The very second I beat Sly 3, I knew that I would be playing as his ancestors in the next game, but the settings, while interesting and nice to look at, seem to be missing the charm you'd find from the more modern ones in previous installments. Most of them look like they're made of the same material. It's an overall good game, it does everything the other games did, but does play it a bit safe. The powers you can purchase should be avoided, you become nearly unable to be detected, able to kill everything in one hit, and turn you into some sort of turbo-ultra-super-mega-HD-power person that can do everything, eliminating all challenge from the game.
    The character's new looks all were ported very nicely to the current gen and look pretty nice (Besides Carmelita, ew.)
    The graphics are nice looking.
    The controls are the same, so if you were worrying that they'd be more stiff like I was, don't worry, they aren't.
    Any way, overall, it's good.
    If you're a fan of sly cooper, I suggest trying it.
  27. Feb 7, 2013
    It's almost unnatural to have so much fun from a kids game. Reminds me so much about good old Playstation 1 days with Crash collecting apples and Spyro collecting diamonds)))
    The main goal of the game is to make you feel fun while playing it. You may criticize it for having a strange plot, not brilliant voice acting, but the gameplay is solid and, frankly, that's the only thing you'll want from a cartoonish stealth game)
  28. Jun 20, 2013
    When I was a kid, I played all of the Sly games on my PS2. They were and still are some of my favorite games. Does this game hold up for a fan who experienced the older ones? Yes, yes it does. Not only does it have the nostalgia going for it, but the overall gameplay is superb, and the voice acting is pretty well done too, since Bentley, Sly, and Murray have the same voice actors thatWhen I was a kid, I played all of the Sly games on my PS2. They were and still are some of my favorite games. Does this game hold up for a fan who experienced the older ones? Yes, yes it does. Not only does it have the nostalgia going for it, but the overall gameplay is superb, and the voice acting is pretty well done too, since Bentley, Sly, and Murray have the same voice actors that they used to. The graphics are beautiful for a game like that, and there are few glitches throughout. My main quarrel with this game is that it was to short for me. I finished it in about 7-9 hours, which is good, but Sly 2 took me around 12. I would've liked if this game had a few more 'episodes'. All in all, though, Sanzaru Games did a great job. I'm glad to have bought this game. I hope to see more Slys in the future, because Sanzaru is more than capable. Expand
  29. Mar 11, 2013
    Beautifully Crafted, with attention to all the small details. Multiple worlds to explore and collect in and a fantastic story line! Definitely my Game Of The Year!
  30. Feb 5, 2013
    Honestly i never understood why critics always gave the sly games low scores like 7s or low 8s compare to jak or ratchet and clank the same thing goes with the new entry thieves in time. Its honestly a outstanding game with tons of stuff to do and really brings me back to the old sly 2 days.

1. Sep 17, 2013
    Sly is back and we applaud that, kind of. The game is outdated, too simple and too childish. It’s a good deal that you can buy the PS3 and Vita version for the same price, so that offers twice the amount of fun.
  2. Official PlayStation Magazine Benelux
    Apr 22, 2013
    The return of Sly Cooper not only signals the return of a classic franchise, but also the return of a classic, almost forgotten genre: the 3D-platformer. Fans can rejoice, because it feels like Sly never truly left the building. [April 2013, p.71]
  3. Games Master UK
    Apr 13, 2013
    Sly hits the current generation with charm, variety and humour in spades. An excellent return. [May 2013, p.80]