• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Apr 19, 2011
6.2

1. Apr 19, 2011
    Best SOCOM since SOCOM 2. After SOCOM 2 zipper pretty much fell off for me. Then Slant 6 came in and I loved their work on the PSP, but when it came to confrontation it was just as bad as Zipper's last project, but Zipper came back to change all that and as a diehard SOCOM fan I must say they did rather well. Sure their are issues, but playing in classic mode is a nice change of pace forBest SOCOM since SOCOM 2. After SOCOM 2 zipper pretty much fell off for me. Then Slant 6 came in and I loved their work on the PSP, but when it came to confrontation it was just as bad as Zipper's last project, but Zipper came back to change all that and as a diehard SOCOM fan I must say they did rather well. Sure their are issues, but playing in classic mode is a nice change of pace for things. Definitely can't play this game like or compare this game to other modern day shooters. This one actually takes time, teamwork, and patience. Overall what I expected. Expand
  2. Apr 19, 2011
    Wow look at the scores here: people very divided about this game. I'm having fun with it. I played COD MW for a while. This game is more tactical. I like the cover system. People who don't like it should realize they don't have to use it, and should quit complaining about it. And please stop with the comparisons. This game has a good feel of it's own. I guess you'll love it or hate it.
  3. Apr 28, 2011
    Although something is lacking, in comparison to Socom 2. This game brought me back into the franchise after not purchasing Socom 3 and Confrontation. The elimination of vehicles was great, in multiplayer. Single Player is more tactical than either Socom 1 or 2. At the end of the day they made leaps, and just because its not a first person shooter people hate. This game kills COD BlackAlthough something is lacking, in comparison to Socom 2. This game brought me back into the franchise after not purchasing Socom 3 and Confrontation. The elimination of vehicles was great, in multiplayer. Single Player is more tactical than either Socom 1 or 2. At the end of the day they made leaps, and just because its not a first person shooter people hate. This game kills COD Black Ops anyday, in fact its more balaced, better campaign and multiplayer. Stop Hating and Appreciate, not only the spectacular graphics but also, the intense game play. Expand
  4. Apr 20, 2011
    MY Review is based off of Single Player, Co-Op and Multiplayer Classic. I loved every minute of the 7 hours i played last night. Co-op- Is an extremely fun and rewarding mode if played with the right people. Using the mic is a must and so is patience. The levels we played needed everyone to take thought out positions and not run out in the middle. If someone tried to rambo through theyMY Review is based off of Single Player, Co-Op and Multiplayer Classic. I loved every minute of the 7 hours i played last night. Co-op- Is an extremely fun and rewarding mode if played with the right people. Using the mic is a must and so is patience. The levels we played needed everyone to take thought out positions and not run out in the middle. If someone tried to rambo through they would die and have to wait until our team could clear out enough enemies to safely revive them. Made playing the levels very tactical and we actually paid attention to other players health levels and moved who had point based on their health. Using strategy and tactics we were able to get through levels without failing but it did not come easy. Single Player- Admittedly i only played the first level with the sharpshooter and move but it was very fun. The button layout will take a while to get used to on the sharpshooter but using it enhanced the SP.

Classic multiplayer- While playing i seen a trend. The player who ran out without knowledge of the map or a purpose dies quickly and complained a lot. Online requires a lot of strategy and knowledge of how your weapon works. The same players were always on top so the game is very skill based. The shooting mechanics require that your reticle be on target before you shoot or you will most likely miss your your target with subsequent bullets. After getting the hang of this shooting without L1 is very easy to do and i found myself on the good end of face to face battles.

I do know that there are pleasant of players who do not understand the shooting mechanic yet because a few times someone would fail to kill me when they start shooting at my back. Generally their first shot missed then they hit me with the 3rd or fourth shot and blow through a few more that miss before i turn around and took them out.
  5. Apr 24, 2011
    These people giving this game any less than a 5 are just Socom fanboys that are **** about it not being Socom 2. It's an excellent game that'll keep you playing for a long time. The SP campaign albeit short is quite good, nothing to really write home about, but it's unique and you can play the missions many different ways. There's a custom campaign which is awesome and a co op campaign soThese people giving this game any less than a 5 are just Socom fanboys that are **** about it not being Socom 2. It's an excellent game that'll keep you playing for a long time. The SP campaign albeit short is quite good, nothing to really write home about, but it's unique and you can play the missions many different ways. There's a custom campaign which is awesome and a co op campaign so you can play with your friends online. If it's a cod ripoff why hasn't cod ever had a custom campaign or had a co op campaign (except W@W which had a co op campaign). The online is really fun. A decent variety of game modes, solid clan system and a NO LAG (something else cod doesn't have). I do have one gripe about this game and that's the lack of an invite system. You can join your friends when they're already in a game but you can't invite them to a party which is annoying. That's a big enough flaw to take a point off an otherwise fairly perfect game. I definitely suggest buying this. I cancelled my preorder the day before release because of these retard Socom fanboys but I still ended up buying it a couple days after release and I'm very glad I did. The psn outage has forced me to play the SP and after 4 days of it I'm still not tired of it. Expand
  6. Apr 20, 2011
    Amazing game. Great single player campaign. Fun and addicting Co-Op. And the heart and soul of SOCOM is its multiplayer and it shines in this one. It is great to have Zipper back in the saddle. Can't wait for the possibility of throwback DLC, maybe some classic maps and modes. But don't get me wrong. This is a title no one should miss.
  7. Apr 22, 2011
    I have played every single Socom game, and I feel that is a great modernization of the Socom franchise. No its not exactly like classic Socom, but it DOES make the game more comfortable to a wider audience while keeping the core fans satisfied with the Classic gameplay mode. Zipper is actively listening to the community to make it an even better game. I really enjoy the game.
  8. Apr 23, 2011
    While I agree the single player is **** Socom has never had a great single player and that''s not the attraction to the franchise. What matter is the MP and it delivers. Offering "most" of the classic gameplay modes as the first 3. You'll find yourself playing suppression as demolition was vastly changed, and imo, not in a good way. However, they've outdone themselves in creating the maps,While I agree the single player is **** Socom has never had a great single player and that''s not the attraction to the franchise. What matter is the MP and it delivers. Offering "most" of the classic gameplay modes as the first 3. You'll find yourself playing suppression as demolition was vastly changed, and imo, not in a good way. However, they've outdone themselves in creating the maps, greatly increasing the area and detail on par if not exceeding that of CoD: MW2 . There is chokepoints, but cleverly disguised in what seem to be huge maps. What stops me from giving this a perfect 10 is the camera issues. It's something that people can get used to, but is just annoying at the start. Not similar to any of the previous Socoms. A Expand
  9. Apr 29, 2011
    Do not listen to haters and trolls. This game is easily among top 3 of multiplayer shooters. Well designed maps, 32 players and nice tactical gameplay. Movement is slower than in CoD series preventing rambo style rampage. It is pretty sad such great game is being downranked that badly because of not being CoD paced (critics) or not being what Socom 2/3 fanboys expected (users).
  10. May 27, 2011
    I love tactical shooters, Rainbow Six, Operation Flashpoint, Battlefield games etc, but I have to say that SOCOM 4 is a great game. The single player mode is decent at best, but the online is where (IMO) this game excels!! Good variety of modes and detailed maps. I enjoyed MAG by these same devs, but SOCOM is where its at for me. Brilliant online game in every sense of the word.
    If you
    If you like your "no tactics, run and gun" games, then CoD is for you (altho I have been very disappointed with the last 2 CoD games, not a patch on MW 1). People keep harming on about 'there's no seals in the game', well if your from the states, the game is called SOCOM navy seals, I'm sure you get to play as a seal. Around the rest of the world it seems to be called SOCOM special forces, and is localized for your country. If team work and bit of Rambo solo is your passion, then you wont go far wrong with SOCOM. Brilliant work Zipper. Collapse
  11. Feb 18, 2012
    Socom 4 and mag are one of the best games ive play so far compare mag or socom to all others games from BF to COD to brink to homefront whats game can be enjoyable as socom 4 or mag ?? Zipper deserve respect Socom 4 have some issue need to be adresse BUT THe game bashing must END i think every games bashers must be banned from socom forums because they have no place here they ruins theSocom 4 and mag are one of the best games ive play so far compare mag or socom to all others games from BF to COD to brink to homefront whats game can be enjoyable as socom 4 or mag ?? Zipper deserve respect Socom 4 have some issue need to be adresse BUT THe game bashing must END i think every games bashers must be banned from socom forums because they have no place here they ruins the forums they ruins zippers and its not good for anyone Expand
  12. Nov 3, 2011
    What a game,I love everything about this game.Thanks a million that it got the patches it needed cause yes it truly needed it.The game was good but needed help because it was rushed.I usually won't go out and get a game that is bashed by reviewers so badly,except for a few.People are really hypnotized with black ops fever cause this game is better and more real.It's like comparing anWhat a game,I love everything about this game.Thanks a million that it got the patches it needed cause yes it truly needed it.The game was good but needed help because it was rushed.I usually won't go out and get a game that is bashed by reviewers so badly,except for a few.People are really hypnotized with black ops fever cause this game is better and more real.It's like comparing an arcade racing game with a simulation.This game is real while more and more military games are being streamlined and made arcadey just for the fun aspect.So you have a choice,go out and buy them all like I do or if you have or want to choose then what is your preference,do you like run and gun like black ops,do you like real and rewarding like bad company 2 or do you like it all which is this game.Trust me folks,the game play,graphics,feel of war,replay factor,team based mission structure,ect..,ect..This game is the game to get. Expand
  13. Jun 3, 2011
    The Socom series is easily one of the best series on the PS consoles. Socom 4 does not disappoint, its a great game with a whole lot of content this is a must buy.
  14. Sep 24, 2011
    I guarantee everyone on here that is crying about how they hate this game are playing it right now. You can't tell me that you don't have fun when you play it, regardless of it's problems. Stop comparing it to other socom's. No one care that you've been playing socom since the first one. Get over yourself and be honest, you probably play socom 4 everyday like the rest of us.
  15. Oct 27, 2011
    This is the most underrated multiplayer game ever. It's fast, fluid, fun and looks gorgeous. Great game modes, lots of weapons and cool looking characters. It's way better than Call of Duty and Battlefield games.
  16. Nov 10, 2011
    Different then older socom but a great game anyways. The new game modes are alot of fun. Nice to see developers trying something new. In a time where respawn is kind it is great Zipper kept a classic mode for all of that are true.
  17. May 10, 2012
    Socom 4. upon release took a lot of flak from fans of the series as well as from trolls on zippers official forum. But taking a second look at socom 4 apart from the loss of a few in-game mechanics like guns hot (your'e gun would move indicating an enemy was near). You begin to appreciate how much of a quality game zipper interactive actually made. The maps and campaign graphics areSocom 4. upon release took a lot of flak from fans of the series as well as from trolls on zippers official forum. But taking a second look at socom 4 apart from the loss of a few in-game mechanics like guns hot (your'e gun would move indicating an enemy was near). You begin to appreciate how much of a quality game zipper interactive actually made. The maps and campaign graphics are highly detailed and the foliage even allows you camo that actually works. stealth works consistently too so if you snipe an enemy on a bridge. closer enemies will not react and rush in to kill you, as they do in the recently released sniper elite v2. Having said that most campaign missions require both run and gun and stealth to complete. Socom is the thinking mans call of duty. Were tactics and pre-planning works better than trying to simply shoot everything that moves, that usually results in an un-timely death. The amount of content is good from the lengthy and challenging campaign the seperate online or offline co op missions to the full multi-mode multiplayer with leaderboards full guns and performance stats and medals to show your online progression with a fully working clan, and invite system the online after the final 1.04 patch is about 90%stable allowing for many hours play without lag or disconnect problems. Dedicated servers too so no host migration at all spoiling youre game. Also the uni-forms are replicas of the real item and voice localisation of troops is great. ie chinese troops speak chinese just like they do in real life. Sadly this may be the last in the Socom series as Zipper -Interactive no longer exists. But despite its critics i would recommend socom 4 now if youre looking for a more realistic war game than a lot of more recent titles and even some forth coming titles with recent beta,s do not beat socom 4.r.i.p. Zipper-Interactive. Expand
  18. Mar 13, 2012
    I ACTUALLY gave this game an 8.5 in a Christian Game Review on my You Tube Channel, Gaming 4 Jesus ( http://www.youtube.com/Gaming4Jesus ). But MC won't allow us to give half-points. :/ In summary, if you want an excellent single player game which requires use of tried and true battle tactics, this game is second to only Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter series. TheI ACTUALLY gave this game an 8.5 in a Christian Game Review on my You Tube Channel, Gaming 4 Jesus ( http://www.youtube.com/Gaming4Jesus ). But MC won't allow us to give half-points. :/ In summary, if you want an excellent single player game which requires use of tried and true battle tactics, this game is second to only Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter series. The multiplayer was really nothing to write home about. :( If you wish to see my video review of the game, you can watch it by going to this URL: http://youtu.be/8W5nXtCDKqA

However, all my video game reviews MAY contain spoilers. So be warned! ;)

1. If you have all the accessories to play this game as it is meant to be digested (Move, Sharp Shooter, a decent online connection and four non-idiotic mates on standby for co-op) it's one heck of a good game. Lack even two of those prerequisites though and SOCOM: Special Forces will come across like a fairly standard operation that takes a bit too much liberty with the descriptor 'special'. [June 2011 p68]
  2. Sep 19, 2011
    SOCOM 4 is a light and breezy third-person shooter that's pretty good by genre standards, but perhaps a bit lacking in comparison to SOCOM 2.
  3. Aug 5, 2011
    This is a decent online shooter with a fairly bland and mildly repetitive single-player component added on.