7.8

1. May 5, 2014
    Free with PLUS. I have to say it looks good and handles well. The tracks and characters are interesting and the power ups albeit feeble are well thought out if not ripped from Mario Kart. The only problem like EVERY Mario Kart clone is it doesn't have the X factor that makes you come back after each race. I like it but it hasn't kept me hooked in any way.
  2. Dec 18, 2013
    I won't say this is a bad game because I liked it a lot. But I noticed it's not really a cart game. Racing is more important then weapons, way more important. The game looks good and the racing feels good to, there's a real sense of speed. But the problem is that you should be able to play a kart game with friends and family. My friends and family found this game to be too difficult toI won't say this is a bad game because I liked it a lot. But I noticed it's not really a cart game. Racing is more important then weapons, way more important. The game looks good and the racing feels good to, there's a real sense of speed. But the problem is that you should be able to play a kart game with friends and family. My friends and family found this game to be too difficult to control and the changing worlds too confusing. Then never knew where to go next. So it's a nice racer, but not a good cart racer and not a good party or family friendly game. Expand
  3. Mar 4, 2014
    Very few kart racers over the years have been able to compete with the Mario Kart series but Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed certainly comes closer than most, thanks in large part to its fast and fluid gameplay that is easily a match for Nintendo's series. The way the circuits can change after each lap, as well as the chance to use drifts and flips to boost your speed, not to mentionVery few kart racers over the years have been able to compete with the Mario Kart series but Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed certainly comes closer than most, thanks in large part to its fast and fluid gameplay that is easily a match for Nintendo's series. The way the circuits can change after each lap, as well as the chance to use drifts and flips to boost your speed, not to mention the fact that some levels see you transform into a plane or boat only adds further depth to proceedings.

There is a decent selection of game modes and race types to choose from, all of which can unusually be played split screen by up to four players. Even with the reduced graphical detail sometimes making it difficult to see exactly where you’re going on the odd track, playing through the career mode with others makes a welcome change from the normal competitive multiplayer associated with this genre.

In fact the only area that lets the game down is the track design. Sega fans will be in their element playing on tracks based on a host of games from their back catalogue but very few of the circuits are all that interesting to race on and none are as memorable Mario Kart tracks such as DK Mountain (GameCube) or Sky Garden (DS), which I still know off by heart to this day.

I’ll never match the number of hours I put in to the best in the Mario Kart series but all in all a this is great package and a genuine alternative for those that don't own a Wii or Wii U.
  4. May 12, 2015

1. Jan 24, 2013
    A must play for Sega stalwarts, and damn good fun to boot. Mario best watch his arse. [Feb 2013, p.76]
  2. Jan 23, 2013