Sonic Generations PlayStation 3

8.3

1. May 14, 2017
    One of the best sonic games. I love the 2d sonic games, they look great, plays great with a fentatsic soundtrack. When it comes to the 3d sonic games, there is only to I like or love for that matter. Sonic Colors and sonic generations. Sonic generations feels like a breath of fresh air combinding the best elements of 2d sonic and 3d sonic. generations looks great, the caracters has some ofOne of the best sonic games. I love the 2d sonic games, they look great, plays great with a fentatsic soundtrack. When it comes to the 3d sonic games, there is only to I like or love for that matter. Sonic Colors and sonic generations. Sonic generations feels like a breath of fresh air combinding the best elements of 2d sonic and 3d sonic. generations looks great, the caracters has some of the best writing in any sonic game i have played, the bosses are easy but fun, story is simple but again fun and the best part is the soundrack witch I can say is worth playing the game alone. love this game, hands down my favourite 3d sonic game. Expand
  2. May 11, 2017
    Been a sonic fan since 2008 (Not the best years for Sonic), I didn't get this game at launch nor complete it for many years. This is going to be a fair review for a wonderful tribute.
    Graphics: 10 (Everything has been faithfully recreated, a modern and loyal tribute to every stage it tries to replicate. A visual marvel, you must play this on PC.)
    Story: 5 (Very dry and bare-bones.
    Story: 5 (Very dry and bare-bones. Cringey dialogue, very simple but forgettable. Makes up for in gameplay)
    Gameplay: 8 (While some people hate the ''LOL BOOST TO WIN GUYS XDDDDD'' gameplay of modern, I for one felt that parts of the modern stages did frustrate me, to an extent. But that was when I realized the game punishes you for using the boost, which is smart. It's a lot more fun to use it without the boost, the boost is just there to give you a temporary high, unlike Sonic Unleashed where it was pretty much mandatory. Classic Sonic's physics are a bit off, and not exactly replicated, but they are enjoyable to play as, if you can get used to it.
    Sound: 9.5 (This sound track is amazing! Even crappy games like Sonic 06 have an amazing soundtrack but I guarantee you will remember and love at least more than one track from this game. The only track I didn't like was Planet Wisp's stage. but I mean that stage sucks, but 95% of the music is gorgeous!)
    Controls: 7 (This I think is due to the ps3 port. I recently played this game on PC and found it to be a lot more responsive and easier to control in 2D and 3D sections. The ps3 feels somewhat sluggish, just barely. Not to mention, classic sonic's physics are a bit off, which can throw you off as you await to complete the next stage.
    Content: 8.5 (Concept Art, challenge acts, extra music you can play at different stages, you can unlock Sonic 1 on Genesis, and it actually looks better than that crappy Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection port???? There is a lot of content and different routes you can take, even in the game. This is something you can play and use to the fullest)

A solid 8/10. Something to be proud for. I know this review is a bit late. as is my profile but let's hope Sonic Forces is as good. (Written as of May 2017)
  3. Jan 15, 2017
    My score is not higher because of how bad and messy and confusing the controls can be at times, specialy (or basically) when you control the adult Sonic on 3D stages. My, that made me remember of the bad times on Sonic Adventure (another overstimated Sonic game). Maybe it's one of the best Sonic games on desk-console, but the messy controls make the experience less enjoyable.... and, whyMy score is not higher because of how bad and messy and confusing the controls can be at times, specialy (or basically) when you control the adult Sonic on 3D stages. My, that made me remember of the bad times on Sonic Adventure (another overstimated Sonic game). Maybe it's one of the best Sonic games on desk-console, but the messy controls make the experience less enjoyable.... and, why there has to be so many challenges? Expand
  4. Dec 16, 2016
    Sonic Generations is a really fantastic Sonic and Anniversary game. It did so many things right. Having both the classic style gameplay and the more modern gameplay in one game was a great idea. It was good to see some old classic levels look more modern. The only thing I wish they would've done was added multiplayer and made the story longer, cause this game is pretty short. ButSonic Generations is a really fantastic Sonic and Anniversary game. It did so many things right. Having both the classic style gameplay and the more modern gameplay in one game was a great idea. It was good to see some old classic levels look more modern. The only thing I wish they would've done was added multiplayer and made the story longer, cause this game is pretty short. But otherwise, this game is really good. So far, it's the best Sonic game of this current decade, that was originally from this decade. Expand
  5. Oct 24, 2016
    It's actually a decent game, something noone would have expected out of a sonic title made after 2004 (I dig Heroes, don't kill me)

The Classic Sonic is very solid, being the Act 1 of every zone, but I could never enjoy it (due to sucking at the game). The Modern Sonic gameplay is far different, a bit more than just "boost to win". It balances 3D speed sections with 2D platforming

The Modern Sonic gameplay is far different, a bit more than just "boost to win". It balances 3D speed sections with 2D platforming sections.
    I especially dig the music...Damn that's good....

The online mode is limited but fun (if you have any friends that play Sonic Generations, that is) and the 30second sprint mode is great. I got 2600+ pts on City Escape, come beat me. Although you guys have probably got 10000000 points using the M-speed bug.

It's not perfect (read: M-speed is a flaw in the Hedgehog Engine, and it's f*cking hilarious), but it's a fun experience and I suggest you pick it up.
  6. Oct 7, 2016
    Perhaps the greatest Sonic game released since Sonic Adventure 2. The graphics are admittedly gorgeous and colorful. The soundtrack is superb and upbeat as ever. The gameplay was smooth, fluid, and generally loads of fun to play. And best of all, the story was well written and generally comprehensible. If you're new to the Sonic series then I absolutely recommend this as one of yourPerhaps the greatest Sonic game released since Sonic Adventure 2. The graphics are admittedly gorgeous and colorful. The soundtrack is superb and upbeat as ever. The gameplay was smooth, fluid, and generally loads of fun to play. And best of all, the story was well written and generally comprehensible. If you're new to the Sonic series then I absolutely recommend this as one of your games in the series to play. Overall 92/100 Expand
  7. Sep 28, 2016
    Esse foi o jogo que obrigou a mídia "especializada" bem entre aspas
    ela foi obrigada a gostar desse jogo porque agradou os dois publicos.
    tudo nesse jogo funciona perfeitamente
  8. Sep 6, 2016
    At the time this was released, it was and still is the best Sonic game released in the past decade. It has clear respect for the franchise even the bad games, but also remakes levels and boss fights to be in many cases better than the original versions of some of these levels. It has a ton of extra content to look at and unlock for those who want to see all of the extras this game has toAt the time this was released, it was and still is the best Sonic game released in the past decade. It has clear respect for the franchise even the bad games, but also remakes levels and boss fights to be in many cases better than the original versions of some of these levels. It has a ton of extra content to look at and unlock for those who want to see all of the extras this game has to offer from illustrations to extra songs.

Multiple different stages that are variants of the first tow acts but also add into the experience with different goals and set-ups for you to move around and explore.

I highly recommend this game, go out and play it.
  9. Aug 22, 2016
    Um dos melhores jogos do sonic sem sombra de duvidas, o generations chegou para calar os criticas que falam besteira do sonic, reunindo a era classica e moderna
  10. Jul 23, 2016
    Excelent gameplay and level design, best sonic since classic genesis games ..the bad : Weird story. / 30 fps ( Graphics are not so complex, why not 60 fps ? Totally possible in ps3 for a game like this!) . However, great game
  11. Jul 20, 2016
    Sonic Generations is what I believe to be a near perfect game. With the ending boss being a huge let down and the over all story that is barely worth mentioning. However the gameplay is amazing with tons of replay ability, amazing music, and classic level design for both Sonics. With the addition of mini-games that are almost all fun. Sonic Generations is a fun reminder that there are someSonic Generations is what I believe to be a near perfect game. With the ending boss being a huge let down and the over all story that is barely worth mentioning. However the gameplay is amazing with tons of replay ability, amazing music, and classic level design for both Sonics. With the addition of mini-games that are almost all fun. Sonic Generations is a fun reminder that there are some good Sonic games out there. Expand
  12. Jul 1, 2016
    Sonic Generations não pode faltar na biblioteca de jogos de qualquer jogador que tenha um mínimo de simpatia pelo mascote da Sega.Um jogo dinâmico e com a boa ideia de misturar as duas versões do mascote,que com certeza deu muito certo.
  13. May 14, 2016
    una autentica joya de los viedeojuegos, las misiones con sonic clásico son geniales, el personaje responde con en la era de 16 bits, apartado gráfico increíble, historia decente,banda sonora de lujo, nostalgia pura y dura, donde esta una secuela, jaja.
  14. Apr 14, 2016
    Me recordó a mi infancia de los sonics de Megadrive.. muy buen juego que combina las dos modalidades de juego.. lo mejor es el eggdragon brutal !! y el time
  15. Feb 27, 2016
    Sonic generations is the first modern sonic game i have ever played and ooooh boy is it a good time to play this one.

STORY: The story is very basic and very light hearted, but in a sonic game that's all we need to keep me entertained. I mean we don't want to go back to...you know...06. The plot goes like this: Sonic and friends are having a the birthday party (sonic's one), when suddenly a gigantic-black-demonic looking-time traveling monster appears out of nowhere and crashes the party by kidnapping of his friends and leaving sonic unconscious. When he wakes up sonic founds himself in a spacious nostalgic white place where he eventually finds tails and his past classic (sonic 1-2-3 and cd) incarnation, as well as tails classic (sonic 2-3) encarnation. Their goal is to get all the chaos emeralds to defeat the gigantic-black-demonic looking-time traveling-monster.

PRESENTATION: The game graphicly is pretty nice, the models, the textures and the lightning effects all still look very nice to this day and the colors, the voice acting and the incredible music make this presentation very solid...however there are some problems. First of all i'm playing the PS3 version so i don't know if any of this problems are also in the XBOX360 version (probably not), ok the game does have some framerate issues from time to time and some textures do seem a bit more bland than others, but that doesn't detract from the rest of the presentation.

GAMEPLAY: Sonic generations combines 2 gameplay styles. Modern sonic (where you control sonic in a 3D space the majority of the time) and classic sonic (where you see sonic in a 2D space). Both gameplay styles work really well and they are incredibly fun to play. Classic sonic is the most basic of the since your moveset is a bit more limited, we can jump, roll, spindash and...that's pretty much it. Modern sonic is a bit more complex, but not by much, we can jump, boost to get loads of speed, homing attack and do the quickstep to go left or right really fast. Both gameplay modes have some really clever and fun level design and both of them are really fun.

Sonic generations also has some challenges and boss fights to do and while i don't want to spoil why they are there, i will say this:...............**** the final boss.

Sonic generations also brings some power ups that you can buy in a shop and trophies that you can unlock by putting the correct password + an online mode with a time trial mode and some really interesting and competitive stuff.

In conclusion with good presentation, great gameplay, level design, music, modes and funny story, sonic generations is an example on how to do a great 3D sonic game and it deserves an 8/10.
  16. Jan 6, 2016
    Sonic Generations is short, maybe too short; but that doesn’t matter too much when it’s a fantastic Sonic game and one of the best. It’s fun, fast and, well… Fast. It grabs all the great things that I remember from Sonic games – my favourite ones or not – and stuffs it all into one brilliantly entertaining game. Pretty much any flaw you’ll find in this game will be minor and be mostlySonic Generations is short, maybe too short; but that doesn’t matter too much when it’s a fantastic Sonic game and one of the best. It’s fun, fast and, well… Fast. It grabs all the great things that I remember from Sonic games – my favourite ones or not – and stuffs it all into one brilliantly entertaining game. Pretty much any flaw you’ll find in this game will be minor and be mostly overwhelmed by the ‘sheer fun and speed’ of it all and how great the level design is – feeling great to play. It’s probably one of my favourite games ever, and It’s certainly the best nostalgia trip I’ve ever played.

93/100.
  17. Nov 21, 2015
    para mi es el mejor juego 3D de sonic que he jugando con el clasico y el moderno me divierte jugar city escape es mu y bueno este juego por que se pusiron las pilas el 15 aniversario fue malisimo pero este aniversario o sea el 20 esta muy bien hecho sin ningun error
  18. Nov 20, 2015
    Gráficos incrivelmente lindos! Uma história, fácil de se entender, a possibilidade de jogar com o Sonic Clássico é algo que os fans queriam a muito tempo e finalmente feio, trilha sonora... é sem palavras, tem que aplaudir de pé, ela mantem o nível de qualidade que TODOS os jogos do Sonic tem. o único problema desse game é que ele é curto de mais, sério, você zera ele em dois dias ou emGráficos incrivelmente lindos! Uma história, fácil de se entender, a possibilidade de jogar com o Sonic Clássico é algo que os fans queriam a muito tempo e finalmente feio, trilha sonora... é sem palavras, tem que aplaudir de pé, ela mantem o nível de qualidade que TODOS os jogos do Sonic tem. o único problema desse game é que ele é curto de mais, sério, você zera ele em dois dias ou em uma tarde, jogando direto. Mas, não deixa de ser um ótimo game e um dos melhores jogos do Sonic já feitos. Expand
  19. Oct 17, 2015
    OMG THIS IS WHAT US SONIC FANS WANTED ALL ALONG! SEGA MADE AN AWESOME GAME! THE STORY IS EXCELLENT, ONE ZONE FROM EACH SONIC GAME IS HERE, AND I LOVE THE RIVAL BATTLES AND MUSIC!!!!!!

But Roger Craig Smith still voices Sonic, Kirk Thornton voices Shadow now, and Cindy Robinson voices Amy now

for those voices I subtract 2 points

-2 points
  20. Sep 29, 2015
    This might just be the best Sonic ever made. It blends old school and new school gameplay in a very nice balance. The original Genesis games were amazing, and this is the first time Sega has produced a Sonic game that can keep up with the greats. This is how sonic should have been transitioned into 3D in the first place. I'm truly impressed, and recommend it to anyone who enjoyed the firstThis might just be the best Sonic ever made. It blends old school and new school gameplay in a very nice balance. The original Genesis games were amazing, and this is the first time Sega has produced a Sonic game that can keep up with the greats. This is how sonic should have been transitioned into 3D in the first place. I'm truly impressed, and recommend it to anyone who enjoyed the first couple games from the Genesis days. Expand
  21. Aug 27, 2015
    This is Hands down one of the best Sonic games that i ever played! Its miles better than Sonic Boom or 06 and im really happy to see what Sega did here for Sonics 20th birthday! Make a game about his past adventures and relive them! And guys! Dont listen to user BobRichardsin! He has some kind of hatred for Sonic! Just look at his reviews about other Sonic games! All 0!
  22. Jul 6, 2015
    Awesome game for a fan of Sonic, the new and the classic, the only reason why the game is not perfect for me is because of the story that is weak and seem unfinished, also the game is very easy and also very short making its lifetime very litte
  23. Jun 12, 2015
    Ahh, Sonic Generations. I finally decided to buy it for my PS3 earlier this year, and i didnt regret it. Beautiful graphics as always, tight controls, and fun gameplay. Enjoy the retro style of Classic Sonic's levels as you are brought back to the early 90's with the young Blue Blur, then travel into the present day with Modern Sonic as you burst through stunning 3D environments, includedAhh, Sonic Generations. I finally decided to buy it for my PS3 earlier this year, and i didnt regret it. Beautiful graphics as always, tight controls, and fun gameplay. Enjoy the retro style of Classic Sonic's levels as you are brought back to the early 90's with the young Blue Blur, then travel into the present day with Modern Sonic as you burst through stunning 3D environments, included the greatest and most memorable stages in the series's past for both Sonics, and even the end bosses remastered to give the experience variety, such as the infamous Silver fight from 2006 being completely recreated. The voice acting is decent. It'll be somewhat hard to get used to the new actors though, especially if you're like me and enjoyed the 4kids actors. But other than that, you'll find lots of fun, well-polished gameplay, and even replay value when you go back to play the wide selection of missions. Give the game a try, youll love it! Also available for XBOX 360, 3DS, and PC (if you have STEAM) Expand
  24. May 31, 2015
    Creative and colourful with good game-play elements, but quite easy. I found myself receiving 'A' and 'S' ranks a lot. This is a good Sonic platformer like Sonic Unleashed and not like other Sonic games (I am talking to you, Sonic '06!)
  25. Mar 24, 2015
    Sonic generations for the PS3 is an amazing game because it features classic sonic in which the game 2d and modern sonic for 3d so it's like playing two games at once! Also the game has amazing graphics and has levels from many Sonic games. Overall the game is awesome !!!!!!!!
  26. Feb 8, 2015
    This game shows us what SEGA can do.And the idea to mix classic and modern sonic is a great idea.This way the fans (at least most of them) say "Why u no bring classic sonic sega?"This is a true masterpiece.
  27. Jan 31, 2015
    The first good Sonic the Hedgehog game in a very long time. Whether you prefer classic Sonic gameplay or modern Sonic gameplay, any Sonic fan will enjoy this game. Unlike recent games in the series, this has intuitive controls and lacks game-breaking bugs.
  28. Sep 28, 2014
    First off the only bad thing about this game is the final boss an while the story is not bad , its weak. Now to the good: great graphics, good remixes,modern sonic's control is much better than unleashed's, the level design is very good with many multiple path ways and platforming the first time a 3d sonic game had good character bosses and great replayabilty. And even though I have noFirst off the only bad thing about this game is the final boss an while the story is not bad , its weak. Now to the good: great graphics, good remixes,modern sonic's control is much better than unleashed's, the level design is very good with many multiple path ways and platforming the first time a 3d sonic game had good character bosses and great replayabilty. And even though I have no nostalgia for the games the levels borrowed from because I never played them I'm going have alot of nostalgia fr this masterpiece Expand
  29. May 20, 2014
    Sonic Generations is an Astonishing game, they mixed everything from the old games with modern shading and graphics incorporated with the games of today! I found it amazing on how they brought back my favourite Sonic adventure levels that I have grown to love and they added in the speedy Modern Sonic to the mix and just made things much better! I give the gameplay and music a straight outSonic Generations is an Astonishing game, they mixed everything from the old games with modern shading and graphics incorporated with the games of today! I found it amazing on how they brought back my favourite Sonic adventure levels that I have grown to love and they added in the speedy Modern Sonic to the mix and just made things much better! I give the gameplay and music a straight out 10 out of 10, bringing back all the memories and adding a few mixes for the Classic Sonic levels. Modern Sonic surely delivered the fast paced sound-speeded joy and classic Sonic just sent me back to remember some great memories! My recommendations are that SEGA should work on a more advanced storyline for more mature gamers like me! Remember that we aren't all kids and that the lot of us don't like those cheesy comments and jokes Sonic makes, that would be for a more younger audience! But all in all, it was one of the best games created since Sonic Adventure 2! Expand
  30. Mar 30, 2014
    This game has at least a reasonable amount of just about everything good about any sonic game. All of that good stuff is throttled towards you at a rapid pace, leaving you electrically satisfied in all directions. My only problem with this game is how violent it is. I never asked for all of this gore from a game rated E10+ for violE10+nt gamE10+
  31. Dec 27, 2013
    most of the levels in this game are really fun and offer multiply path ways making the game very replayable. the game also has incredible graphics and music. the only things i don't like about this game are the shallow plot and the annoying final level.
  32. Dec 3, 2013
    I usually agree with metacritic score for sonic games.. there are horrible and great sonic games out there and this one is AMAZING. I even felt the game was short because I could easily handle 4 for stages... They are all beautifully recreated with fantastic gameplay and funny cutscenes with cute injokes. The way sonic speed up among this visual experience is awesome. This is a must haveI usually agree with metacritic score for sonic games.. there are horrible and great sonic games out there and this one is AMAZING. I even felt the game was short because I could easily handle 4 for stages... They are all beautifully recreated with fantastic gameplay and funny cutscenes with cute injokes. The way sonic speed up among this visual experience is awesome. This is a must have for any sonic fan of any age and new players as well. Expand
  33. Nov 9, 2013
    I've always liked Sonic the Hedgehog. And this game is Sega's way of saying "Thank you for supporting or mascot for all these years." This game felt like a recap on the past 20 years, and that's part of the fun.
  34. Oct 14, 2013
    This is the Sonic game that all fans were expecting, simply the best Sonic of these last years a must in the PS3 game, careful with sonic of the golden age of SEGA, great gameplay and great fun, their music that touches excellence, if you're a fan of Sonic, you have to buy yes or yes, and people that unaware of to Sonic, is the best opportunity to meet him.
    The most negative, not having
    The most negative, not having an online mode to lengthen the life of game and not having chosen more levels.

In spanish,
    Este es el juego Sonic, que todos los seguidores estábamos esperando, simplemente es el mejor Sonic de todos estos últimos años, un juego imprescindible en la PS3, es cuidadoso con los Sonic de la época dorada de SEGA, una gran jugabilidad y muy divertido, su música que roza la excelencia, si eres fan de Sonic, lo tienes que comprar si o si, y la gente, que desconozca a Sonic, es la mejor oportunidad de conocerlo.
    Lo mas negativo, no tener un modo online que alargue la vida del juego y no haber escogido mas niveles.
  35. Sep 19, 2013
    It was fun but it was way too short. This game is probably a classic Sonic fanboys wet dream, because Classic Sonic is in the game. I think the Modern Sonic levels are more fun. The game only has 9 Modern Sonic levels, and 9 Classic Sonic levels. It's good, but I would rather have a Sonic 06 for the PS4 and Xbox One that fixes everything about Sonic 06.
  36. Aug 17, 2013
    I was very satisfied with this game. Amazing music and nice fluid controls that have been somewhat lacking in the series as of late. The ONLY reason I won't rate this a 10 is the lack of DLC. Steam and XBox360 offer a small pinball level, but this game almost demands other levels from additional games!
  37. Aug 8, 2013
    Sonic Generations um jogo direcionado principalmente para os fans de Sonic, os que tiveram seus melhores dias da vida jogando tanto com o baixinho e gordinho quanto com o alto e esbelto. e esse o ponto mais alto do jogo, a distribuição de Fases entre os dois personagens igual (tirando os chefes, que estão em maior numero para o Sonic moderno) e jogar com ambos os Sonic muito divertidoSonic Generations um jogo direcionado principalmente para os fans de Sonic, os que tiveram seus melhores dias da vida jogando tanto com o baixinho e gordinho quanto com o alto e esbelto. e esse o ponto mais alto do jogo, a distribuição de Fases entre os dois personagens igual (tirando os chefes, que estão em maior numero para o Sonic moderno) e jogar com ambos os Sonic muito divertido e fácil de lidar.
    O cenário do jogo quando olhado de perto horrível, porem quando você corre na velocidade do som, e vê como o cenário, as cores e a velocidade do Sonic se completam, esse se torna um dos jogos mais lindos que você vai ver, a recriação das fazes magnifica, impressionante como fazes simples se tornam em fazes gigantes e complexas
    Outro fator que um mérito incrível do jogo sua trilha sonora. simplesmente perfeita, durante algumas fazes, o ritmo da musica vai mudar dependendo da velocidade que o Sonic estiver, e a transição muito bem feita, e os Remixes são magníficos, a musica dos créditos fara você querer jogar o ultimo boss (que um dos pontos fracos do jogo) somente para ouvi-la!
    Porem nem tudo perfeito, Sonic Generations tem 18 fazes principais contando cada Sonic, e 7 chefes, o que faz com que você possa acabar com o jogo em 4 horas, porem o jogo tem uma sobrevida grande com os desbloqueáveis (Red Rings espalhados pelas fazes), e você tentara tirar Rank S (o que estupidamente fácil, comparado com Sonic Unleashed) em todas as fazes e chefes, e também existem 90 missões extras, e que são tão divertidas quanto as fazes comuns, algumas são tão boas que parecem ser projetos cancelados das fazes originais, mas seria preferível mais fazes diferentes do que missões bônus.
    Outro problema a dificuldade do jogo, se você aprendeu a dominar o Sonic, o jogo fica muito fácil, como o desafio de tirar Rank S praticamente não existe, o maior desafio quebrar o próprio record (dica: sempre pegue os caminhos mais altos, geralmente lá que você ira encontrar os melhores percursos e as Red Rings)
    E o Pior agravante o fato do jogo não ter um Multiplayer local, e as funções online são apenas para comparar tempos, se seus amigos não tiverem S.G. você vai ter que competir com os asiáticos, que geralmente terminam a faze com 40 segundos ou muito mais de diferença
    para quem não fan de Sonic, a nota para esse jogo poderia ser algo como 7, porem para um fan que cresceu jogando no seu Mega Drive (ou Dreamcast) o jogo não precisa ser rotulado com uma nota, pois a nostalgia e a esperança de ver que Sonic ainda pode voltar (ou pelo menos melhorar) a ser o que era, valem o jogo
  38. Aug 3, 2013
    Very good game. The largest problem for me, is the awful story and many technical issues I personally faced. However, the music and fast gameplay more than make up for it, making this the best Sonic game in over 10 years.
  39. Jul 6, 2013
    For years Sonic games have not really been all that great, or even good, but finally Sonic Generations actually gives some justice to the hedgehog. So great playing through all the great levels of the past and present. Definitely a game to add to your collection.
  40. Apr 24, 2013
    the game is very good for an anniversary title. the game play is very fun with many routes to get to each goal ring. along with playing as old sonic in a 2d perspective and new sonic with 3d/2d game play. plus we get to use the elemental shields again from the old games. the complaints I have with the game is the game main story is pretty short and the levels are of older levels. overallthe game is very good for an anniversary title. the game play is very fun with many routes to get to each goal ring. along with playing as old sonic in a 2d perspective and new sonic with 3d/2d game play. plus we get to use the elemental shields again from the old games. the complaints I have with the game is the game main story is pretty short and the levels are of older levels. overall it is a great sonic game that fans should pick up but I would rent it first if you are on the fences. Expand
  41. Apr 2, 2013
    The 3D graphics in this game are amazing...one of the best looking games on an HD display in my opinion. The gameplay is great and fun; its easy to pick up and play. However, the classic Sonic is more fun to play than then modern Sonic. In fact, I kind of wish that the game was all done in the style of classic Sonic...sort of a Genesis-era Sonic the Hedgehog HD. The sense of speed, whetherThe 3D graphics in this game are amazing...one of the best looking games on an HD display in my opinion. The gameplay is great and fun; its easy to pick up and play. However, the classic Sonic is more fun to play than then modern Sonic. In fact, I kind of wish that the game was all done in the style of classic Sonic...sort of a Genesis-era Sonic the Hedgehog HD. The sense of speed, whether you're playing in classic or modern levels is superb. This is how Sonic was meant to be. I remember playing the original Sonic game on Genesis and thought that it moved very fast. THAT was nothing compared to this game. I would caution parents buying this for very young children. My son is 6 years old and I don't let him play this game. It to bright, too colorful and moves much too quickly for his little eyes. Expand
  42. Mar 15, 2013
    This game is awesome, it just really is.

This game is awesome, it just really is.

The game is basically to celebrate Sonic's birthday, and my god was it well done. Past years, Sega have been making some pretty bad Sonic games, but this one is amazing. First of all, the gameplay, it's solid. You can control Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic, each having their own gameplay style. Classic Sonic is focused on platforming, while Modern Sonic is focused on speed, and i mean ALOT of speed. Each character also uses control mechanics from previous games, which is nice. Graphics are beautiful, soundtrack is GODLIKE, and overall the game is just fun. Now there are a few flaws for example... Planet Wisp is an amazingly frustrating level. I spent 15 minutes JUST to get through it. And the rival battle against Metal Sonic seems to be extremely frustrating as well, as Sonic controls super sloppy, an it just doesn't feel like you're playing Sonic, it feels you're playing Mario on ice. Now boss and rival fights with Modern Sonic, they are super amazing. They have TONS OF SPEED, and that's what Sonic is about! That alone makes the boss fights awesome. Also levels in this game are from previous games, and the music is a remix of the older ones, which i love. There are challenge gates around for you, which you need to complete in order to actually fight the boss, so I'm guessing it was there to increase the game length. But they do have special unlocks like music and artwork. Speaking of that... You can unlock music from older games and use it in stages, man do i love listening to Palm Tree Panic xD This game is super fun, and is good for people who don't know about Sonic, as there is also character biographies you can unlock. This game, is a must-have, in my opinion.
  43. Mar 4, 2013
    Not a fan of this game, and I'm a huge sonic fan. Classic sonic gameplay is okay, but the "newer generation" gameplay is pretty bad. You'll be running fast, so very fast that you'll run off a ledge, or into water and die, or you'll just stop dead in your tracks if you run into something. Collecting things seemed to be a grind, and some of the music almost made me brain myself. Clearly I'mNot a fan of this game, and I'm a huge sonic fan. Classic sonic gameplay is okay, but the "newer generation" gameplay is pretty bad. You'll be running fast, so very fast that you'll run off a ledge, or into water and die, or you'll just stop dead in your tracks if you run into something. Collecting things seemed to be a grind, and some of the music almost made me brain myself. Clearly I'm in the minority here, but this was not the sonic game I expected. Expand
  44. Jan 20, 2013
    The game starts off fun, but it falls into the same woes that have played Sonic for years....and it does so far too quickly. It's the closest to a "real" Sonic game we've gotten, but it still sorta stinks.
  45. Dec 26, 2012
    The game is very short. I finished in few hours. I waited almost the same thing that was done in sonic unleashed. The graphics and sound are amazing.
  46. Nov 5, 2012
    After the great Sonic Colours on the Wii, it's heart-warming to see the Sonic franchise I love and grew up with back on track after the pretty disastrous 2004 - 2008 era. This game is Sonic Team's love letter to the fans.

Both modern and classic Sonic control great, but I enjoyed the modern Sonic levels more. There's a real sense of speed, especially in the 3D sections. I feel they finally got the modern 3D game-play right in this game. Classic Sonic plays pretty much exactly like the Mega Drive quartet, and is still just as easy to pick up and play.

It's not quite perfect. The main game is a bit short (it'll take Sonic veterans a day at most), and the final boss really lets the game down as it's quite buggy and lags. There are a lot of challenges though which gradually get more difficult and adds hours on to the game. Re-playing levels is also pretty fun. The story itself is quite simple, but it's nice to see the other characters make an appearance for a change. A lot of them haven't been seen for a while. There are also moments where the game pokes fun at itself. There are only 9 levels in total with six boss battles but there are a sheer number of other levels referenced with in the levels, which I thought was a really nice touch. One particular example that springs to mind is when playing Seside Hill as Classic Sonic, there are underwater sections that lift moments from Sonic 1's Labarynth Zone and Sonic 3's Hydrocity Zone. There are so many spectacular moments packed in to the nine levels and it's fun to guess what Sonic game they are from.

Bottom line, this is a great game and a must buy if you've ever been a fan of the blue blur.
  47. Oct 7, 2012
    Sigh.... Sonic Generations this is what I call the worst Sonic game of all time. Sega is very uncreative with their game. "Uhh... we have to make a Sonic game" Sega staff: "sigh" Sega worker: " hey I got an idea instead of thinking of something new lets just recycle all of Sonic's adventures! Thus this terrible game was born. It features terrible graphics. Horrible voices really abysmal.Sigh.... Sonic Generations this is what I call the worst Sonic game of all time. Sega is very uncreative with their game. "Uhh... we have to make a Sonic game" Sega staff: "sigh" Sega worker: " hey I got an idea instead of thinking of something new lets just recycle all of Sonic's adventures! Thus this terrible game was born. It features terrible graphics. Horrible voices really abysmal. Almost unplayable stay away from this game Expand
  48. Sep 25, 2012
    Sonic Generations is the second overhyped Sonic game in a row. There is also an entirely different game for the 3DS which I will get to later. This game on the 360, PS3, and PC is not too good. Sure, the game has good level redesigns, but they are redesigns. There is nothing new about it which can either be good or bad depending on your taste. But if you can look past that, there areSonic Generations is the second overhyped Sonic game in a row. There is also an entirely different game for the 3DS which I will get to later. This game on the 360, PS3, and PC is not too good. Sure, the game has good level redesigns, but they are redesigns. There is nothing new about it which can either be good or bad depending on your taste. But if you can look past that, there are still incredibly easy boss levels and forced frustrating side missions. The story is alright I guess. Sonic is celebrating his birthday and the other characters get kidnapped and Sonic travels through time to rescue them. Other than that, this game is mediocre at its best. If you want as good Sonic game, travel back to the last generation when Sonic was still relevant. Expand
  49. Sep 22, 2012
    By far the best Sonic game I have ever played, available in stunning 3D for anyone who can afford a TV that will be outdated within a year. The game comes jam-packed with challenges levels courses and achievements to keep people blasting through its stages forever, as well as online play (not live unfortunately) and a massive soundtrack of pumping tunes which you can actually switch! ThatsBy far the best Sonic game I have ever played, available in stunning 3D for anyone who can afford a TV that will be outdated within a year. The game comes jam-packed with challenges levels courses and achievements to keep people blasting through its stages forever, as well as online play (not live unfortunately) and a massive soundtrack of pumping tunes which you can actually switch! Thats right! If you like a song you can play it whenever you want in the background of a level. The game has incredible graphics, unbeatable level design, a setting to turn OFF Omochao! Blast through this world at supersonic speed as you rush, jump, home and spin your way to the infamous time eater, an HD monster who was kidnapped famous Sonic landmarks for you to find and save, or access the trophy room by running into the east red room in the white space and holding down select. In this mode you can view trophies of famous sonic history. The game is the ultimate in fast, and contains incredible rivals and bosses such as perfect Chaos and the amazing silver.

In conclusion, this is certainly the most incredible PS3 game in my collection, and I have played both LBP and LBP2! Insert the disc and feel the rush!
  50. Jul 12, 2012
    For me, this game was 3rd best platformer of last year (After Super Mario 3D Land and Rayman Origins). For presentation I will give 10, the level design, the music are beautiful. Sega kept their promise and delivered a nostalgic feel for levels. I was really about to cry when I played Sonic Heroes's level (as it was my first BIg Sonic Console game), Gmaeplay is 8/10, it is almost perfect,For me, this game was 3rd best platformer of last year (After Super Mario 3D Land and Rayman Origins). For presentation I will give 10, the level design, the music are beautiful. Sega kept their promise and delivered a nostalgic feel for levels. I was really about to cry when I played Sonic Heroes's level (as it was my first BIg Sonic Console game), Gmaeplay is 8/10, it is almost perfect, for both Classic and Modern Sonic parts it is all about reflexes, but Sega thought we had better reflexes and sometimes we see something and before we can react, we end up dead. There are another 2 problems with this game and it is the shortness of Story Mode and replayability. This is a very good game for a weekend, then you can give it ti your friend and tell how awesome your adventure was. Expand
  51. Jun 2, 2012
    Don't bother with the installment options of Sonic 4, this really is the superior in every way of the two, I'm annoyed I even bothered with the terrible Sonic 4. This game comfortably fulfills the nostalgia nods to the 90's Sonic games, but updates it all and adds in modern game advances in a much more complete and stylish way. The Sonic games come with quite a few inherent limitationsDon't bother with the installment options of Sonic 4, this really is the superior in every way of the two, I'm annoyed I even bothered with the terrible Sonic 4. This game comfortably fulfills the nostalgia nods to the 90's Sonic games, but updates it all and adds in modern game advances in a much more complete and stylish way. The Sonic games come with quite a few inherent limitations when viewed with modern gaming expectations, but this is Sonic as good as it should be now and it is a lot of fun. Expand
  52. May 9, 2012
    This is one of the defining titles of the entire series. Personally, I don't think the Sonic series ever went downhill. I enjoy almost every 3D entry in the series. Yes, even Sonic 06. The exceptions to this are Sonic and the Secret Rings and Sonic and the Black Knight. I'd say Secret Rings and Black Knight were the only downfall of the series, not Sonic 06. Why do people say that this isThis is one of the defining titles of the entire series. Personally, I don't think the Sonic series ever went downhill. I enjoy almost every 3D entry in the series. Yes, even Sonic 06. The exceptions to this are Sonic and the Secret Rings and Sonic and the Black Knight. I'd say Secret Rings and Black Knight were the only downfall of the series, not Sonic 06. Why do people say that this is the return of Sonic? People need to realize that he never left in the first place. Expand
  53. Apr 9, 2012
    I've lost interest in Sonic over the years, but this game just does it right. They seem to understand the poor choices the franchise has made over the years and find opportunities to poke fun at themselves.

Classic Sonic has a 100% retro feel with beautifully updated HD graphics. Sonic has always had lots of alternate paths in the levels, but there was little motivation to find them all. The five hidden red rings are well placed and force you to discover all of the alternate routes. Modern Sonic I assumed I'd play once and lose interest, but he switches between 2D and 3D navigation and is equally as enjoyable as Classic. With the exception of some of the fast moving downward hills, (which really should have been 100% controlled with L&R triggers), he controls well.

Getting 100% completion was fun and never felt unnecessary. The music (which has been pulled and re-worked from prior games) is as catchy as ever, but the track re-starting on every death really drives home the repetition. And please... in the future... omit music vocals. I no longer wanted to roll around at the speed of sound, with places to go to follow my rainbow after a couple of deaths.
  54. Apr 2, 2012
    Sonic Generations perfectly captures the spirit of the older Sonic games, but infuses that spirit with a refined sprinkling of successful elements taken from the later periods. In my opinion, Sonic Generations is the very best Sonic game to date and probably my favorite platform game of all time. The reason for this is that the action stages are designed perfectly... No... That doesn'tSonic Generations perfectly captures the spirit of the older Sonic games, but infuses that spirit with a refined sprinkling of successful elements taken from the later periods. In my opinion, Sonic Generations is the very best Sonic game to date and probably my favorite platform game of all time. The reason for this is that the action stages are designed perfectly... No... That doesn't quite cut it. Every stage is absolutely exceptional! They all feel very different from each other and each has it's own little unique hooks to dig into you. I've played all the stages in the game over and over and over. They never get old! The challenge gates, whilst seeming like tacky time fillers at first glance, actually turn out to be a great addition for those who want to get really deep into game. Usually, I'm not the guy who plays every nook and cranny of this type of game, but I just couldn't help myself with Sonic Generations. Getting all the red coins, achieving S rank on all stages and bosses, beating all the challenge gates... I was well and truly addicted. Basically speaking; I have nothing but love for this game! Expand
  55. Feb 26, 2012
    this is a game for sonic fans.sonic generations is one of the most great sonic games after sonic colors.The graphics are gorgeous,the voice acting is great,an two sonics how i can say the two gameplay for modern and classic are great.But there only one problem,this game only a few bosses and is not actually the best one
  56. Feb 12, 2012
    This game was great bit of nostalgia, but inevitably it was short. It had only included major console titles, none of the handheld ones. The best two levels were taken as almost direct ports from the two dreamcast titles. Great game for everyone, but try to get it for cheap. Sonic fans might have loved this, but we were really looking for Sonic Adventure 3.
  57. Jan 22, 2012
    Ignore the previous entry if it is still there as I clicked submit before changing the slider scale by mistake

I am really enjoying this game but it's far from perfect. The story is kinda lackluster and it's lacking the entertaining dialogue that was found in Sonic Colours but overall i'd describe it as a step in the right direction for Sega. The game is still haunted by a few bugs and glitches that can frustrate at times but overall the game plays a lot smoother than previous entries, Sonic Team seem to be finding a better balance between speed and platforming sections comparing to previous titles such as Colours which was a lot of platforming and not much speed and Unleashed (day missions) which were pretty much all speed and not much platforming. I find it fun for a quick burst of gaming such as trying to beat my previous time on ranking attack before I have to leave for work in 20 minutes for example so it has pretty good replay value. The soundtrack sounds fantastic and a large amount of tracks can be unlocked in the main story such as Hydrocity Zone. They serve not only as a simple music hall of fame but you can also change the music of the levels in story mode to any track that you have unlocked via the side missions. Sega are playing it safe with this game but since it was made to celebrate 20 years of Sonic you can forgive them for that. Overall though the game plays better than previous modern Sonic games. If Sega can build upon this for their next title then the blue hedgehog might return to his former glory.
  58. Jan 16, 2012
    This game is a "greatest hits" album, one for a band long dropped from popularity. It's weird how these "greatest hits" can make me feel nostalgic for an era in gaming I didn't love. When I was a boy and the Mario/Sonic wars were at its peak, Sega couldn't do what Nintendid. Sonic always looked desperate for attention, with unnecessarily difficult speedy platforming that required levelThis game is a "greatest hits" album, one for a band long dropped from popularity. It's weird how these "greatest hits" can make me feel nostalgic for an era in gaming I didn't love. When I was a boy and the Mario/Sonic wars were at its peak, Sega couldn't do what Nintendid. Sonic always looked desperate for attention, with unnecessarily difficult speedy platforming that required level memorization - It wasnââ Expand
  59. Jan 12, 2012
    This game is REALLY FUN.... the melodies are sUPREME, if you dont trust me: "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pn-AtNRcUQY" "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlrwjBZZ80g" the levels are great, really fun, the game is short if you dont complete the 90 extra missions, if you play it unprejudiced and with an open mind you will enjoy.... the GAMEPLAY is excellent the modern and classic gameplay areThis game is REALLY FUN.... the melodies are sUPREME, if you dont trust me: "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pn-AtNRcUQY" "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlrwjBZZ80g" the levels are great, really fun, the game is short if you dont complete the 90 extra missions, if you play it unprejudiced and with an open mind you will enjoy.... the GAMEPLAY is excellent the modern and classic gameplay are the both great.... simply awesome, MERISTATION.com SAYS "is the best sonic title in 10 YEARS" and Im totally agree, even when im not a big fan of sonic i had to admit that this game is one of the best videogames ever Expand
  60. Dec 30, 2011
    Sonic Generations is an enjoyable experience if paying in small bursts, bringing back some of the nostalgic feel that made the original such a success. 9 levels split between 2D/3D, I was more or less only interested in the appeal of 2D. Each level offers extra challenges to offer extra value, if that's what your looking for. However as the game progresses, the same issues as inSonic Generations is an enjoyable experience if paying in small bursts, bringing back some of the nostalgic feel that made the original such a success. 9 levels split between 2D/3D, I was more or less only interested in the appeal of 2D. Each level offers extra challenges to offer extra value, if that's what your looking for. However as the game progresses, the same issues as in previous games return to cause frustration as usual, sonic doesn't seem to respond the best to jump as and when needed, and the later 3D levels are like insane trips to your inevitable, unlucky death, that leaves you sitting their thinking why bother.....?. As your screaming down the loop aiming for that speed ramp, before you know it your cascading downwards, towards your death like a vertigo loving blur. All in all I am a fan of Sonic, I really am, as this blue dude set the starting line for platforming in my eyes, with some great level designs, and not to forget few, but decent boss fights, do here's a game that works well, but fails overall to deliver the great expectations, fans will love, non fans will enjoy the short trip. Expand
  61. Dec 3, 2011
    I *want* to like this game, but instead I find myself cursing and yelling at the game's horribly imprecise controls. Playing this game feels like torture and I long for the original Genesis days, when Sonic wasn't a trodden down mascot.
  62. Nov 29, 2011
    This game is the best sonic game that was ever made. No exaggeration. Many reviews criticise the game for the controls and the modern sonic sections. However the former is no problem, the controls are very responsive (maybe people blaming the game for their mistakes?) and the latter is, in my opinion, the best portion of the game. The graphics look lovely with memorable scenery from pastThis game is the best sonic game that was ever made. No exaggeration. Many reviews criticise the game for the controls and the modern sonic sections. However the former is no problem, the controls are very responsive (maybe people blaming the game for their mistakes?) and the latter is, in my opinion, the best portion of the game. The graphics look lovely with memorable scenery from past sonic games and the soundtrack is top notch. The remixes of older songs are all composed spectacularly and the game also gives you the option to unlock old songs (his world, I am... etc.). The boss fights are brilliant throwbacks to the greatest bosses in sonic history, and Sonic generations only improves these boss fights! The classic gameplay is highly reminiscent of the good old days of the old sonic games and the modern gameplay is an exhilarating rush to get through the zone in time while trying to find all of the hidden red rings. The games only shortcoming is the length of the main story, which is nullified by all of the 90 challenges available to play which are surprisingly fun.
    To be professional I would of given this game a 9.5 but the scoring system doesn't allow that. This is a really well made game, if you are a sonic fan it is a MUST BUY
  63. Nov 20, 2011
    A very fun game, that let's you play as the new and the old sonic! It's very refreshing to see Sega back on the right track with their Sonic games. If you like new Sonic then you can play as well as if you like old style Sonic! Very balanced game with a solid story backing the great game play.
  64. Nov 14, 2011
    In honor of his 20 year anniversary, Sonic the Hedgehog is back and he is racing through our hearts again. Sonic Generations takes us back through a very nostalgic 20 years of Sonicâ
  65. Nov 14, 2011
    Since Sonic Adventure 2 / Battle came great games, but not beyond SA2 / B for me, Sonic 2006 reached almost, if not the technical problems that the game has paid for the rush of Sony and Microsoft to launch the game it would have been best of all, Sonic Adventure 2 but still had that title for me, but now Generations could feel a game worthy of saying "the best Sonic game EVER," he leftSince Sonic Adventure 2 / Battle came great games, but not beyond SA2 / B for me, Sonic 2006 reached almost, if not the technical problems that the game has paid for the rush of Sony and Microsoft to launch the game it would have been best of all, Sonic Adventure 2 but still had that title for me, but now Generations could feel a game worthy of saying "the best Sonic game EVER," he left parts of the platform and very modern with multiple routes path, and keeping the lightning speed worthy of the Hedgehog, and even brought us the old Sonic from my childhood, a perfect blend, the gameplay with both Sonic's are excellent, everyone in the concept of his time in the best style platform / action we have phases of memorable games, the music totally nostalgic and a perfect remix, the phases are epically designed with two types of gameplay, very good graphics, excellent controls, it is no exaggeration on my part, who played and really like Sonic in two styles will know what I'm saying, SEGA and Sonic Team are to be congratulated again, a game that is already marked the history of our hedgehog cobalt, the best game EVER Sonic the Hedgehog! Expand
  66. Nov 12, 2011
    If you do not mind, I would like to begin with a retrospective.
    If you do not mind, I would like to begin with a retrospective.
    Many of you may already know this but in recent years there have not been very good, with the worst one being Sonic the Hedgehog (06) and Unleashed which had day stages as one of it's only redeeming quality. Now I'll be honest, Unleashed overall wasn't a bad game at all, the werehog wasn't bad, it just didn't feel like Sonic. Now more recently Sonic Team has been on a pretty good streak with the releases of Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations (and hopefully they can keep up this quality). Now, onto the review.
    Story:
    I have to say, this is one of the best Sonic stories I've seen in ages, mainly because it's barely there and what little there is isn't meant to be taken too seriously. I appreciate that this game wasn't afraid to make fun of itself in some ways, and some of the dialogue lines actually got me to laugh. The most basic summary of the plot is, there's a time paradox, run fast to fix it. Naturally this game takes you through levels of previous games as well (for those of you who may not know) hence the title "Generations" and unfortunately takes levels from even the worst of the Sonic games, i.e. Sonic the Hedgehog (06).
    Gameplay:
    Gameplay, much like Sonic Unleashed, is divided into two parts, classic and modern Sonic, each of which plays the way you would expect. I would also like to note that this type of dual world gameplay works exceedingly better than the whole Werehog thing. Classic Sonic plays the way you old school Sonic plans expect it to, no homing attack and spin dashing a lot and sticking to the side scrolling roots, it is to be admired how the engine really captures the feel of the originals. As for Modern Sonic, He plays much like he did in Unleashed in the day stages, high speed action with occasional side scrolling bits, which unfortunately can break flow a bit and since you are typically going to be running way faster than classic, it is easy to not see where you're going during the side scrolling bits. Fortunately they did slow down the speed a little bit since Unleashed, this was never a problem for me, but some may not like it being slowed down (though it's not a drastic speed change). Now, when you navigate your way between levels, it is quite straightforward, all the levels are closely packed and you travel to them by running from a side scroller perspective. Another nice feature of the game is the ability to change the music for the levels, this may not sound like much, but it adds a bit of entertainment to find music that may or may not suite the level better than the default soundtrack. The game has plenty of features to keep you busy long after you've beaten the game.
    Presentation:
    Texture isn't that great, but given the speed of the game it is easily forgivable and it looks pretty gorgeous at times. The recreations of the classic stages are by far the most impressive part of the game (in my opinion) and a lot of work had clearly gone into them, dreamcast era levels look better but not nearly as much work was done to enhance visuals. The more modern games have a minor issue, such as there being a level from StH(06) but fortunately level design is far more intuitive than it's original version. I am pleased to say that the level they took from Unleashed wasn't a complete copy paste of the original, only a little. The overall presentation is good and framerate holds well.
    Verdict:
    I honestly don't like giving scores for my reviews, but I do recommend it though, this is probably the best Sonic game I've played since the classics and adventures. If you're a Sonic game, go do yourself a favor and buy it, you won't regret it
  67. Nov 12, 2011
    Fantastic game. Really has the authentic sonic feel. Only a few minor quibbles where the difference between fast and slow sections aren't obvious resulting in repeated deaths. Also slow loading times for the ps3 but the gameplay is incredibly fun for novice and frequent players alike
  68. Nov 11, 2011
    Will the Sonic cycle finally be over? If youâ
  69. Nov 10, 2011
    Sonic Generations is possibly the best Sonic game ever. Yes, even better than the Genesis titles. I might be Sonic Sinning by saying that, but Iâ
  70. Nov 10, 2011
    I like this song because it is in 3D and it is like the best one so far but i don't like it that it is not as long and you can't play it as long as you could with other games :)
  71. Nov 10, 2011
    great game, I really love the music and the gameplay, and there are a lo of extras , a lot !!!!

sega does an excellent job with this sonic game :) , the graphics are really amazing and there are cool final boss fights
  72. Nov 9, 2011
    Brilliant fun Sonic platforming is back, at last!
    I've played Sonic since way back in '91 and can assure you this is classic Sonic with bells.
    My 2 year old son who is an avid gamer on DS, 360, PS3 & iPadloves it to so its got very wide appeal for all generations.
  73. Nov 8, 2011
    This has to be one of the greatest Sonic games! Years after years ever since Heroes Sonic has felt downhill, then came Sonic Colors and other good Sonic games, they were good signs. SEGA has now confirmed Sonic is back with this game, not just saying "Classic Sonic11!11!1" or whatever, but both Sonics are great! The only problem is that the game is a bit short.
  74. Nov 8, 2011
    This game reminds me of the good old Sonic games I used to play back on my game-gear. It feels great to play this game again and it's awesome that they've put both 3d and 2d sonic views. It's just the perfect sonic game I was expecting for years and for 30$ its a bargain and fair price!
  75. Nov 8, 2011
    Talk about a stroll down memory lane. the 2d sonic stages are an absolute blast, and feel much more in tune with the original sonic games than the previous Sonic 4 game. The use of "2.5d" for classic sonic is great, its fun seeing the alternate baths you could have taken in the background, knowing you missed a path somewhere.

Modern sonic also plays well, especially if you love pulling of

Modern sonic also plays well, especially if you love pulling of tricks, timing the perfect jump, and so on. While there can be a few frustrating parts due to what might feel like an unavoidable death. The levels overall feel more polished and designed better for modern Sonic's intense speed when compared to Sonic colors and unleashed. It felt like there was a lot less "Hold boost to win". in fact you had to save your boost and time it just right throughout the game.

That said the game is kind of short, it could have used a few more bosses and levels. You could easily beat it in one day. If your an achievement hunter then there is plenty more to do. There are many side missions like previous sonic games, Such as racing against another character, or getting through an obstacle course, using a special power up, or collecting rings in a certain amount of time and so on.

Overall after playing it i could only ask myself one question, Did i have fun? The answer is yes, i most certainly did have a lot of fun. Its nice to see sonic games finally starting to improve from the slump they have been in over the last few years.
  76. Nov 8, 2011
    welcome back sonic. you have been missed!! this is a massive return to form the blue guy !! do yourself a favour and get this game
  77. Nov 8, 2011
    Besstes Sonic Game seit Sonic 3+ Knuckles! Schnell, Schneller Sonic.
    Ein wenig mehr umfang hätte es sein können - aber ok viele Herrausforderungen. Und schön das mal ein teil (und vor allem so ein guter) für Pc veröffentlicht wurde!
  78. Nov 7, 2011
    Sonic Generation is the best Sonic game. ever. EVER! I have been a die hard hedgehog fan from way back to the Genisis games. And let me tell you I have not had this much fun in a looooong time. Now, Generations is the best game of the series for 2 simple reasons. 1: Two Sonics are better than one! The old school and new sonic are both very represented in this game. I have not had a singleSonic Generation is the best Sonic game. ever. EVER! I have been a die hard hedgehog fan from way back to the Genisis games. And let me tell you I have not had this much fun in a looooong time. Now, Generations is the best game of the series for 2 simple reasons. 1: Two Sonics are better than one! The old school and new sonic are both very represented in this game. I have not had a single problem with "physics" as per Sonic 4. Second of all: YOU CAN UNLOCK THE ORIGINAL SONIC GAMES!!!! All you have to do is buy the classic Genisis controller and you can go back and play the original Sonic the Hedgehog game IN GENERATIONS! There is absolutely nothing wrong with this title. VERY WELL DONE SONIC TEAM. Its about time xD Expand
  79. Nov 5, 2011
    Being the Sonic fan i am, after playing the 360 version of the game, wanted to try out the PS3 version. Well, it's nearly identical, save for some more effects on closer inspection. Get the PC version.
  80. Nov 5, 2011
    This is the best sonic game I have played in a while since Sonic Adventure! Don't get me wrong Sonic Colors and Sonic 4 are great games, but Generations exceed even those games. I had a new perspective for modern sonic in classic levels and classic sonic in modern levels. City Escape was a very interesting perspective for classic Sonic (just one example). The music was stunning! TheThis is the best sonic game I have played in a while since Sonic Adventure! Don't get me wrong Sonic Colors and Sonic 4 are great games, but Generations exceed even those games. I had a new perspective for modern sonic in classic levels and classic sonic in modern levels. City Escape was a very interesting perspective for classic Sonic (just one example). The music was stunning! The background (which Sega was famous for with Genesis) was very beautiful and put me in awe. It was so captivating that I sometimes crashed or got hurt because I should be playing lol.

Story 9/10: Story is as good as it needs to be. I loved the mysterious dark creature! It was a new twist never done before by sonic and made it connect the old and the new Sonics. It didn't need complex stories. People hated that in the other sonic games. The story in my opinion was enough. It did its job, which is kept me motivated to play the next level to find out more about the story, and the result. Graphics 9.5/10: For a Sonic Game this is the best graphics I have ever seen. If I were to look at it subjectively it would be a perfect 10, but objectively it isn't the best visuals in gaming history.

Sound 10/10: Although the jump sound is from Sonic CD and not from genesis for classic sonic; I can forgive the game. I don't complain about small bugs like that because I don't bash a game for a small detail like that. The sounds were great and nostalgic for classic, and for modern the sounds were pretty good too.

Music 11/10: I loved the very nostalgic music they have, plus their remixed counter parts. I loved the rock song "Escape from the City" and I loved its techno/trance/Daft Punky version of it. It actually sounds like they combined some essences form the 2p Sonic 3 Cave level with it as well. It had a new yet nostalgic and pleasantness to it.

Game play (Classic) 9.9/10: The game has excellent controls but the reason I took 0.1 out is because the jump seems to be a lot less than it should be for a 2D sonic game. Otherwise, it was complete perfect in every sense of awesomeness that is Retro Sonic. Game play (modern) 9/10: It seems to be an improved version of Sonic Colors, which seems to be an improved version of Sonic Unleash's Day Time levels. It's great, but it still has bugs to fix and it needs to improve the physics just a little more. I though Sonic Adventure had the best gravity and control. If it had those Sonic Adventure movement controls but with the modern day game play button controls it would be perfect.

Overall Score: 10/10 Awesomeness at its best. I just hope that the sonic fans don't mess up its ratings like they did Sonic 4. Sonic 4 was a great game that should have been a 9/10 NOT A FREAKING 7/10!
  81. Nov 5, 2011
    Sonic Generations review

Story: Simple story. I liked it. Just like it was in classic games. Gameplay: Classic: Good. But level design is not as good as it was Sonic 3 and Knuckles. - Overpowered Spin Dash - Rolling is not right Modern: Very good. They have added more 3D platforming, but there is too much 2D sections and not enough 3D sections. Still there is more 3D sections
    Sonic Generations review

Story: Simple story. I liked it. Just like it was in classic games.

Gameplay:

Classic:

Good. But level design is not as good as it was Sonic 3 and Knuckles.

- Overpowered Spin Dash

- Rolling is not right

Modern:

Very good. They have added more 3D platforming, but there is too much 2D sections and not enough 3D sections. Still there is more 3D sections than Colors.

- Too much 2D sections

- Enemies are more like obstacles than real enemies

- Grinding on rails is waste of space and should be removed in future and instead replace rails 3D platforming.

Bosses: Egg Dragon was best. Final boss was just not so good.

Generations is better than Colors. And is better than Sonic 1, but not better than Sonic 2 or Sonic 3 and Knuckles.

Overall: 8.7 as Very,very good

What they should do in future:

1. Make enemies do something instead just waiting that Sonic destroy them.

2.Remove grinding on rails and replace rails for 3D platforming.

3. Fix rolling.

4. Fix overpowered Spin Dash.
    5. Replace boost to Spin Dash. 6. Remove Homing attack because I don't think that it is necessary. 7. Implement classic physics in 3D. 6. Unique 3D platforming rather than just generic.
  82. Nov 4, 2011
    First off, let me mention my experience with Sonic games. I was a rabid child fan during the Sonic hey dey of the early 90s, devouring the various Sonic games, even the (very fun) Sonic Spinball. After that, I never touched a Sonic game until just a few days ago when I bought Sonic Generations. Sonic Generations combines the 2D Classic Sonic with the 3D/2D levels of Modern Sonic and letFirst off, let me mention my experience with Sonic games. I was a rabid child fan during the Sonic hey dey of the early 90s, devouring the various Sonic games, even the (very fun) Sonic Spinball. After that, I never touched a Sonic game until just a few days ago when I bought Sonic Generations. Sonic Generations combines the 2D Classic Sonic with the 3D/2D levels of Modern Sonic and let me say that the Classic Sonic levels are uniformly amazing bar none. Most of them mix tricky platforming with exploration while others focus specifically on tricky platforming with other elements (such as wind).

Modern Sonic, on the other hand, ruins this game with the one glorious exception of Green Hill Zone. This level epitomizes what Modern Sonic should be about - speed, precision, and fun. There is no free-roam platforming in Green Hill Zone, just forward movement with the addition of grind rails, multiple paths, and sliding. What Sonic Team doesn't seem to understand is what makes for a great Modern Sonic level, despite having created one in the first place. What they probably did was spend the majority of their time making the first level (Green Hill) and then tack on the rest, having exhausted their creative abilities. Green Hill does not slow down the action, which is why it is so amenable to speed runs. It's fair and the action never stops. All the other levels give you too much freedom to move around where the action slows down and you're forced to deal with the horrible controls and animation that has seemingly plagued Modern Sonic for far too long. The rest of Modern Sonic levels are abysmal, with the odd exception of Crisis City and the half-decent Rooftop Run. All of them focus on platforming rather than speed. It would seem that the difference between the two Sonics would be freaking obvious considering that both of them are in the same but Sonic Team just doesn't understand. They need to go back to the drawing board of the drawing board and understand the core mechanics and competitive advantages of each brand of gameplay. Modern Sonic = Speed. Classic Sonic = Platforming. That being said, "Boost to Win" should not be a tactic. Like Green Hill Zone, it should be a mix of strategic, lightning quick platforming that fairly reward precision with a lower time.

The music is great, by the way. You can choose from a variety of songs from across 20 years of Sonic music and customize each level to play a different song from a list that grows longer as you beat Challenge levels after beating each world. Challenge levels are actually pretty unique because they can either use the same level with tweaks or use an entirely different level based on the same theme. Some have you collect lots of rings, fight large badniks, race against friends, race against Rivals such as Metal Sonic and Shadow the Hedgehog, or race for fast times, etc. Some are very unique while others are useless. Thankfully, you don't have to play the dumb ones in order to progress.

All in all, this could have been a fantastic game if Sega had built Modern Sonic on the premise of the first level but here 2D Sonic rules resulting in only half a game.
  83. Nov 4, 2011
    I've been die-hard Sonic fan since his 1991 debut and while I've enjoyed most of his recent outings, I still thought many of them were tragically flawed. They all leave me wanting something more and have me questioning Sonic Teams decisions to include this or exclude that. Sonic Generations is no exception to this trend. While the game handles better than any recent Sonic in termsI've been die-hard Sonic fan since his 1991 debut and while I've enjoyed most of his recent outings, I still thought many of them were tragically flawed. They all leave me wanting something more and have me questioning Sonic Teams decisions to include this or exclude that. Sonic Generations is no exception to this trend. While the game handles better than any recent Sonic in terms performance, because of its high influence in modern Sonic game play, I can't imagine anyone that isn't already an existing Sonic fan being interested in this game. So while I enjoy the game, I'm still waiting for that perfect revival where I can honestly recommend the game to non-Sonic fans, this is not that game. Anyway, for the rest of you still interested, here are my thoughts on Sonic Generations. The first three zones, all inspired from the Genesis era, were phenomenal, I lit up with glee as I raced through each of these acts with both classic and modern Sonic, the nostalgia made me feel like a kid again and the exquisite level design and graphical detail allowed the adult in me to also greatly appreciate these early stages. Unfortunately for me, the next two thirds of the game were all inspired by modern Sonic and I feel the magic was lost. The Genesis era stages all had a wonderful fantasy element to them, they take you outside of the real world and place you in these exotic locations that ooze creativity and it took Sonic Generations to make me realize that most of the modern stuff they have you running through very modern looking cities, four of the nine chapters are in a city (although one is post-apocalypse) and I just can't get into this setting, because of its real world attributes the level structure never looked natural to me, I was constantly questioning why a city would have these crazy contraptions set up for a hedgehog to run through, silly I know, but I never once thought to question why Green Hill Zone had floating platforms or looping terrain, I just accepted it as the fantasy world it is and moved along but modern Sonic's insistence on living in our real world ruins the illusion and removes the player from the fantasy they should be enjoying. That's not to say all the modern stages were disappointing, Planet Wisp brings back that fantasy element and I loved it to pieces. I know this complaint is mostly aesthetic but it makes a big difference for me, most of the actual level design on these modern stages was pretty decent but still pales in comparison to the first three zones. It's a shame they didn't draw more influence from the Genesis era or even create something entirely new using the current engine because for the first time in awhile the game play actually works well but I have to question their level choices because I feel they've missed a huge opportunity to create something unique. Expand
  84. Nov 2, 2011
    Sonic Generations is the best Sonic Game since Sonic 2!
    I admit i was kind of slipping from being a sonic fan after Sonic 06 but this game brought me back and its probably one of my favourite games of all time.
    Sonic Generations is the best Sonic Game since Sonic 2!

The Story is something i can really appreciate as a Sonic fan since they are finally making jokes about themselves and it is hilarious, every line of dialogue is sure to make you atleast giggle!

The Gameplay is everything we ever wanted from a perfect Sonic Game and thats Incredible speed,Momentum based Platforming and any other awesome additions certainly help the game stay fresh and new.

and finally the Graphics are Breathtaking, you have to see them to believe them. (Especially if you got a 3D TV)

In Conclusion Sonic Generations is one of the best games all year and it is definitely worth every penny of its purchase price! (oh and Rival Battles are EPIC)
  85. Nov 2, 2011
    One thing I must say, and I must say it right. *Ahem*

SEEEGAAA! I love this game to death, a true classic brought back to life. You can't hate this game, but some times, you can't love it.
  86. Nov 2, 2011
    My Sonic fandom has been very sporadic ever since my first experiences with the series via Sonic 2. As cliche as it seems, I was borderline rabid in my fandom until about 2004, when the game-play began to lose my interest. It was not until Sonic Colors that I regained my support for the blue blur; I saw the birth of a new formula in game-play that was innovative and more than a step inMy Sonic fandom has been very sporadic ever since my first experiences with the series via Sonic 2. As cliche as it seems, I was borderline rabid in my fandom until about 2004, when the game-play began to lose my interest. It was not until Sonic Colors that I regained my support for the blue blur; I saw the birth of a new formula in game-play that was innovative and more than a step in the right direction with a great balance of speed and platforming. Enter Sonic Generations: the rebirth of my adamant love for the series. From the demo onward, I saw a video game that had (and at this point has) the potential to become one of the best platformers in this era of gaming. Upon playing this game, I found that my optimistic notions were wonderfully well-founded for a multitude of reasons.

Of all of my reasons for appreciating Sega's effort in making this game, the execution of both Sonics' play styles takes the forefront. Classic Sonic truly played in a way that accurately, and enhances to a degree, per the Genesis iterations (1,2,3&K). When I say that it enhanced his game-play, I am referring to the upgraded spin dash (which is far from overpowered -- see Planet Wisp for details), which adds a whole new level of complexity to the timing required for speedy completion of the game's many platforming elements. Also, he pays more than enough homage to the Genesis era via the intricacies of his physics. When playing in Chemical Plant Zone, I tried to replicate one of the key speed-run tactics -- jumping at the very end of its curved slopes. Performing this action in Sonic 2 allowed the player to run faster upon completing the jump. To my surprise, I managed to pull the act off exactly in the manner that I had done in Sonic 2. His noteworthy zones are Crisis City, Planet Wisp, and City Escape.

Moving on to modern Sonic, the game-play was just as phenomenal, if not slightly better. The platforming elements are absolutely marvelous in his levels, and the utilization of his abilities is at its zenith thus far in the latter iterations of the series. Specifically, the boost is implemented incredibly well. While many reviewers have stated that it adds to the game's supposed clunky moments, they seem to have failed to grasp that moderation is a key component to mastering the boost. It may be very tempting to "boost to win," but that mind-set will come to a halt upon reaching Sky Sanctuary. Along with his other abilities, it works hand in hand to create a repertoire that a player must fully master to succeed.

On the topic of storyline, it is far less deep than previous modern releases', but the game is better for that factor. It is short, sweet, and a great tribute to the highs and lows of his twenty years. The only issue I have with this game is actually the boss battles. I will not spoil their contents, but they do leave me hoping for further boss content via dlc.

I highly reccommend this game to anyone wishing to experience the platforming genre at its finest, or to anyone wishing to experience one of its finer examples.
  87. Nov 2, 2011
    Sonic is back better than ever. It's not perfect, but is the best Sonic game for over a decade. The nostalgia of Classic Sonic remember the old 2D side-scrolling that everyone love and enjoy. The 3D and 2.5D game play of Modern Sonic is the perfect balanced of Sonic Unleashed speed and Sonic Colors platforming plus great 3D platforming that I waited for years. My only problem of this gameSonic is back better than ever. It's not perfect, but is the best Sonic game for over a decade. The nostalgia of Classic Sonic remember the old 2D side-scrolling that everyone love and enjoy. The 3D and 2.5D game play of Modern Sonic is the perfect balanced of Sonic Unleashed speed and Sonic Colors platforming plus great 3D platforming that I waited for years. My only problem of this game that is too short. I just beat in 5-6 hours, only 7 bosses of the entire game and Classic Sonic only have 2 bosses, I'm waiting the future DLC with more stages and bosses. Sonic Generations is the best Sonic game in years, maybe the best I ever played. After beat the game, the game has 90 challenges to complete, Red Rings to found, replay the stages to get rank S, it's a must-buy for the fans, but if you never played Sonic before, rent it, you can pass the weekend having fun, Sonic is good again better than never. Welcome back Sonic. Expand
  88. Nov 1, 2011
    Played it at my buddy's place today. We are both huge sonic fans and we have been very disappointed by the recent titles, save for maybe sonic colors, which was a step in the right direction. This is a wonderful game that any loyal sonic fan should pick up sometime. 10/10
  89. Nov 1, 2011
    The Classic Sonic levels are awesome. They are based in 3 differents alternatives to finish the level , good remixes of the musics, the physics is good now(finally Sega)
    The rolling isn't so good compared with the speedup of the genesis games, but definitely the spirit of the original Sonic was made in this game.
    The Modern Sonic have good remixes, too, but the excess of boost in gameplay
    The Modern Sonic have good remixes, too, but the excess of boost in gameplay and the level desing is like "race games"(a boring and easy gameplay concluding).By the way, this Sonic serves to show how the hedgehog changed in relation of the original genesis game form.
    Classic Sonic is the principal attractive of the game.
  90. Nov 1, 2011
    The game's beatable in few hours, and it's not that fun, it has some missions but, more acts would have been much better, modern gameplay is too boost to win, with platforming, but sometimes it don't work very well, hopefully the classic stages are cool, but not that much to "save" the game from being not so good.
  91. Nov 1, 2011
    I will show my point, the classic sections in the game are nice, you have platforming and speed and amazing graphics, nice level design too, but the modern part of the game is just awful, they picked up the "boost to win" mechanic from Sonic Unleashed and throwed into the game, if SEGA used Sonic Colors gameplay for modern Sonic, it WOULD have been better, the rival dialogues are stupid inI will show my point, the classic sections in the game are nice, you have platforming and speed and amazing graphics, nice level design too, but the modern part of the game is just awful, they picked up the "boost to win" mechanic from Sonic Unleashed and throwed into the game, if SEGA used Sonic Colors gameplay for modern Sonic, it WOULD have been better, the rival dialogues are stupid in the hub world, good soundtrack, but planet wisp would have been cooler without wisps. Expand
  92. Nov 1, 2011
    Sonic was once arguably the most popular video game franchise of the 90's. The depressing fact is, the 90's are over, and we're ignoring the failures the past decade has given us and we're ready to say "Sonic is great" again.

The past two years have seen some much better titles for the franchise and it made us all wonder: does SEGA actually love us once more? The answer is yes, and this answer comes in the form of Sonic Generations.

The game is aesthetically great. The only graphical putoff that I could find were the tree graphics - they look like a pixelled mess. Regardless of that small graphical fluke, the game looks absolutely fantastic. This game is proof that modern games don't have to use bland textures to look realistic.

The music sounds brilliant. The remixes are incredibly nostalgic and recapture the epic feel that the original music had. You'll be humming to Sky Sanctuary after the first 5 seconds, I assure you.

The plot is awesome too, with no more confusing, melodramatic rubbish which games such as Sonic 06 delivered. Voice acting has been greatly improved and no longer to cutscenes require subtitles.

But we've forgotten the most important thing of all: gameplay! Well, if there's one significant difference between previous titles and this gameplay-wise, you'll immediately notice that it doesn't suck. Modern Sonic plays very similar to how he played in the day stages of Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Colours, but guess what? The level design has PLATFORMING! Hooray! No longer is Sonic restricted to a narrow path and now Sonic has to stop now and then to progress. It's fantastic and the level design really is great.

Classic Sonic is a different story. He's nostalgic, well designed, and fun. Very fun. Classic Sonic retains his awesome moveset from Sonic 2 and he plays much better than he did in Sonic 4. Level design is just as great as Modern Sonic's, only that it's 2D only and even more platforming is thrown in there. Classic Sonic overall is almost as cool as he was in the 90's, but he has some faults. Scripted events are spammed everywhere to aid the player and the flow can feel slightly unnatural at times. His rolling also doesn't feel as momentum based anymore, either. Regardless of these minor errors, Classic Sonic is just as awesome as Modern Sonic is.

Overall... I can't tell you how good this game is and how great it feels to be a Sonic fan once more. This lays a great blueprint for the future of Sonic and if it isn't the blistering speeds of Modern Sonic that will grip you, the nostalgia of the Classic style will. I give the game a 9/10.
  93. Nov 1, 2011

1. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Mar 6, 2012
    Perhaps one of the best things we can say about Sonic Generations is that it feels complete, and that it looks absolutely stunning. 20 years offers a lot of time to draw inspiration from, and Team Sonic's determination to show off everything that Sonic has accomplished is to be applauded. As an homage it's without peer. As a game in its own right it's flawed, but it'll leave you with more smiles than frowns. [Dec 2011, p70]
  2. Feb 6, 2012
    Sonic Generations marks the 20th birthday of Segas beloved mascot, and it also shows us why he deserves to be celebrated. Even though the 3D platforming part of the game carries with it most of the problems from other later installments in the franchise, the 2D levels stand up as one of the best Sonic experiences in many years. It's a two sided experience, but definitely worth a closer look.
    Probably the best Sonic game ever made, and the perfect celebration of everything Hedgehog for any type of fan. Happy Birthday, Sonic!