Sonic Unleashed PlayStation 3

7.9

1. Nov 5, 2010
    Just as maniy other reviews state, 1/3 of this game is amazing(the sonic daytime levels) 1/3 of it is Decent (that being the were hog night lvls) and the other 3rd is completly slow and un needed (the town exploration areas)

The Sonic levels are fast furious and amazing, I can say that for the time being this is the fastest sonic game ever made up to this time. They make the game worth playing for any fan .

The were hog lvls are not horrible. They are a blend of combat (which is really dull and under developed) and platforming/ puzzle solving, almost remenescent of early crash bandicoot games. The problem is that while they are not horrible they just drag the game down from the amazing Sonic running stages and last well over 4 times as long (which is being generous, it could be more than that.) The only portion to fall flat are the towns, the controls are crappy and loose though that isn't really relevant as much as it is just a minor annoyance. What is terrible is that they are slow and filled with retarded diologue form deformed retarded and generic human characters that are totally out of place and really with the overall structure of the levels, this portion didn't need to be there in the first place, a menu to select stages would have been sufficient with a cut scene between stages here or there ala sonic adventure 2. Bottom line, chances are, if your a fan and still curious about the game at this point, then chances are, you will enjoy it enough to overlook its shortcomings.
  2. MarkD
    Jan 5, 2009
    The Warehog bits maybe arn't as bad as some reviewers have said but it's glaringly obvious that they pale in comparison to the brilliant Sonic bits. Why then do the Warehog bits and the even more tedius RPG bits make up more then half the game Sega? I must stress though that Sonic bits are a genuine return to form and for the the first time in years i'm hopefull for future The Warehog bits maybe arn't as bad as some reviewers have said but it's glaringly obvious that they pale in comparison to the brilliant Sonic bits. Why then do the Warehog bits and the even more tedius RPG bits make up more then half the game Sega? I must stress though that Sonic bits are a genuine return to form and for the the first time in years i'm hopefull for future Sonic games. Expand
  3. Apr 20, 2011
    When I first saw gameplay footage for this game (aka. the daytime stages), I rushed to get an HD console.

The daytime stages, although platforming-devoid and linear, are so thrilling and fun, complete with gorgeous environments, ear-climaxing music, and a ton of cinematic camera angles, switching from the 3D to 2.5D perspectives. It's everything that made Sonic Adventure famous back then, except on complete overdrive. Although the controls were a bit unresponsive, it was a thrilling part of the game that impressed nearly every person I showed.

Then, *sigh*, we get to the Werehog stages. Why is there a Werehog? Don't Know. However, while it's not as bad as people made it out to be, it certainly is a below-average combat experience. Think God of War, except a hell of a lot easier with an annoying combat music (that comes on EVERY TIME you encounter an enemy). It tries to be cool by being completely different from the daytime stages, but it just comes off as completely flow-breaking and unneccessary.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed the game despite that. The hub worlds feel like they have been done right, and they're a hell of a lot better than the ones in Sonic 06 and Sonic Adventure. While people have been annoyed with the mandatory medal collecting, it honestly never bothered me until I got to the Adabat daytime stage, and even then, I only had to play a few of the optional stages to easily collect the medals I need (the majority of them being in the Werehog Stages).

There are a few other setbacks like the frame rate (although I heard that the Xbox 360 version had less framerate problems), but other than that, this is generally a good game. Not great, but simply good. My suggestion is to download the demo and try out the first daytime stage to get a good glimpse at the gold mine of speed and excitement, then look at the Werehog Stages. If you're still cautious, then I suggest renting it.
    Overall Rating: 7.5/10
  4. Dec 7, 2011
    I strongly believe that Sonic Unleashed does not deserve a 54/100 if the 'average' score on Metacritic these days for games is an 80. This game does indeed have its flaws, such as the nighttime levels being quite tedious, however the day time levels are so good that this game stayed enjoyable for me for quite a long time.

I've been playing Sonic Generations recently and I've noticed that

I've been playing Sonic Generations recently and I've noticed that the daytime levels in Unleashed are generally *much* better than Generation's, purely because they are much more fun and feel a lot more fast-paced and satisfying to beat.

I would certainly recommend this game to younger gamers. It's not perfect, but is certainly worth the low price.
  5. Feb 8, 2015
    This is the real first sonic game i have ever gotten.And i am happy to got this game.The levels of sonic are breathtaking and very,i repeat VERY fast.And some minor glitches like QQS and Mspeed are very cool and i had fun playing with them.The Werehog is something that i like and adds some minor "changes" to the game.I like games like these and i'm happy to play this game.
  6. Nov 5, 2015
    Sonic unleashed one of the most split games in history some love some hate, me I love this game is easily in my top 5 platformers of all time. The opening cutscene itself is the best I have seen in any game and sonic is known for its amazing openings. Sonic is seen running across eggman's fortress destroying anything in sight. Just as it looks like sonic is captured he activates superSonic unleashed one of the most split games in history some love some hate, me I love this game is easily in my top 5 platformers of all time. The opening cutscene itself is the best I have seen in any game and sonic is known for its amazing openings. Sonic is seen running across eggman's fortress destroying anything in sight. Just as it looks like sonic is captured he activates super sonic and chases eggman into a room. Here eggman tricks and captures sonic and drains the chaos emeralds of their power, he uses the power to fire a beam into the earth splitting it into pieces and revives dark gaia, a creature sealed away because of its evil. But while he is being awakened sonic is still in the machine and part of dark gaia is transferred to him bringing up the werehog form .Now this game is split into day and night. Day stages are the fastest sonic has ever been and get your heart pumping every time and its also cool that it stays 60 FPS even while going through heavy traffic. Night stages are when he transforms into the werehog. slower gameplay with heavy combo attacks and puzzles to solve. Many people hate these levels but I like them. Tie in amazing bosses a stellar soundtrack and more this game is outstanding. The only thing wrong is the hub world they are better than wii and PS2 but still aren't do exciting. In conclusion PLAY THIS GAME Expand
  7. Sep 27, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm a long time Sonic fan, since Genesis, and I absolutely LOVE this game. It's alarming to see so many giving it so little credit, and highlighting their woes about certain aspects. Personally I had a fun time playing as Sonic the Werehog, but more than that, the speed levels are utterly incredible. Spectacularly crafted, graphically too. Couldn't be more pleased with the outcome![2] 10 for that one Expand
  8. JalexD.
    Dec 16, 2008
    I can't put my finger on why exactly this game has received such poor reviews. Personally, I thought this was the best Sonic game since 'Adventure' on the Dreamcast. I know people weren't crazy about the Werehog idea (and I admit I'm not exactly a fan of Sega's Sonic gimmicks, either), but it seems as though they wrote their negative opinions about it before I can't put my finger on why exactly this game has received such poor reviews. Personally, I thought this was the best Sonic game since 'Adventure' on the Dreamcast. I know people weren't crazy about the Werehog idea (and I admit I'm not exactly a fan of Sega's Sonic gimmicks, either), but it seems as though they wrote their negative opinions about it before they even tried it. Sure, it's a lot different from the 'regular' levels, but it's not bad. I actually found it to be a nice contrast. Anyhow, I think this is the best Sonic game this decade, and one of THE best Sonic games, PERIOD. Buy it if you love the Blue Blur. Expand
  9. Apr 28, 2011
    Its hard to imagine how this was a "good" Sonic game back in 2008. I loved Sonic Unleased on the PS2, I thought it was simple, and easy to navigate. This game... is broken. Its hard to ignore the fact that the controls are extremely touchy, depth perception is difficult to master, and an unfriendly camera makes the experience a mess. Compounding on that... framerate drops are present inIts hard to imagine how this was a "good" Sonic game back in 2008. I loved Sonic Unleased on the PS2, I thought it was simple, and easy to navigate. This game... is broken. Its hard to ignore the fact that the controls are extremely touchy, depth perception is difficult to master, and an unfriendly camera makes the experience a mess. Compounding on that... framerate drops are present in cutscenes and night scenes. The Werehog is a love it or hate it relationship. I am honestly not a huge fan of it, but I can deal with it. It however is frustrating that you spend as little as 1 or 2 minutes on a day stage and spend as little as 6 to 7 minutes on a night. It is a jarring change in pace. If you see this game marked down... leave it now that it is 2011. Sonic Unleashed on the PS3 is Okay. It is not the most spectacular experience of Sonic you have available today. Expand
  10. Aug 19, 2011
    Sonic Unleashed is a game where SEGA pulled out all the stops. They worked in an enormous amount of side challenges, including around 30 side missions, a few side levels and hundreds of collectibles. I am not exaggerating with that. There's around 300 things you can collect including a record player and TV which actually have a function. They allow you to listen to soundtracks from theSonic Unleashed is a game where SEGA pulled out all the stops. They worked in an enormous amount of side challenges, including around 30 side missions, a few side levels and hundreds of collectibles. I am not exaggerating with that. There's around 300 things you can collect including a record player and TV which actually have a function. They allow you to listen to soundtracks from the game and view cutscenes.

The gameplay is split between Day and Night levels. Day is full of Sonic's speed gameplay ramped up to never-before-seen speeds. The speed is augmented by the Boost which makes Sonic go faster, but also makes him a speeding bullet, damaging enemies in the way. You gain boost energy by collecting rings and you can upgrade your boost bar and normal speed to go even faster.
    The Night stages features the Werehog. This unfortunately controversial gameplay shouldn't be controversial (see below).The Werehog can be upgraded as well, but features more things to upgrade. You can upgrade the life bar, the "Unleash" bar which is similar to God of War III's Rage of Sparta. You can upgrade the Shield gauge; You have a shield/block ability, but it wears out with damage, so you can upgrade your shield gauge to make your block more durable. Now, you see, the reason the Werehog shouldn't be controversial is thanks to how much work was put into it. The Werehog can gain 30 new moves by upgrading. That's more than popular games like God of War and Darksiders. And there's a few additional moves you start out with. This takes a lot of dedication and hard work which sadly goes unappreciated. The platforming in the game is good as well. It's easy to some extent, but it's good and fun to relax with.

You also have excellent bosses which have cinematic quality and are very high-end. The levels have amazing graphics and there's a lot of variety between them. Each new level has many things to do. In fact, the main game will run you around 10 hours, but the entire game, to finish it all, could take 30 hours if you're lucky. Of course it would be less if you know what you have to do, but many levels and challenges are very difficult.

In closing, this is Sonic and Sonic Team's best game and the most underappreciated. It's a shame so much hard work got so much hatred for the sake of the masses' nostalgia. The Werehog didn't ruin the game, it added to it. New gameplay styles shouldn't be hated for trying to refresh the game and make it better. Games are about change and improvement. That's why sequels are made.
  11. Oct 9, 2011
    I am not a man of big words... so i could review this game just whit 4 and a half Words.......
    THIS GAME IS F****ING AWESOME! But I cannot do that since my review has to be 150 characters long....
    Yeah This game is one of the most fun loaded games i have ever played! The Storyline, The Graphics, The Details... everything well done! yeah what more can i say? i don't know... well it would be
    well it would be cooler if there was more playable characters, for example blaze, silver etc. but besides that i still love the game! and it was worth trading it for CoD-MW2, Big Time!!! : P
  12. Dec 18, 2012
    This game is EXTREMELY overrated. The daytime stages are linear, claustrophobic, and overall boring. The game just holds your hand and just has you keep going, and going, and going, and then occasionally quickstep, drift, and jump to prevent getting hit. This game has you do SO little. In the daytime stages, that is. In the nighttime stages, while they ARE too slow, they actually have youThis game is EXTREMELY overrated. The daytime stages are linear, claustrophobic, and overall boring. The game just holds your hand and just has you keep going, and going, and going, and then occasionally quickstep, drift, and jump to prevent getting hit. This game has you do SO little. In the daytime stages, that is. In the nighttime stages, while they ARE too slow, they actually have you DO something, and their is ACTUAL platforming. But despite these nighttime stages being the best part of this game, they just DON'T belong in a Sonic game. These nighttime stages have you constantly fighting hoards of enemies like a Kratos from God of War. So with the boring, linear, and overall uninspired level design that just holds your hand the whole way through, and the slow, out of place brawling sections, this game is officially my LEAST FAVORITE SONIC GAME. I know Sonic 06 sucked, but at least you DID something in that game, and it was designed LIKE a platformer, (Although they failed) Now that the gameplay is out of the way, let's move on with the story. Sonic crashes Eggman's party once again, and chases the big bad Doctor to his interplanetary space ship. After transforming into Super Sonic with the mystical gems known as the "Chaos Emeralds" and destroying Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik's robots, Eggman begs for forgiveness, leading Sonic into a trap. Eggman drains the power of the Chaos Emeralds, reverting Sonic back into his normal blue self. Eggman uses the Emeralds power for his laser which he uses to crack the world into seven sections. The Earth's core is exposed, and an ancient creature who was trapped in the Earth escapes. This creature is known as "Dark Gaia". Eggman's plan is to harness this creature's power, (Considering how WELL that plan worked before) and rule the world in order to build his Evil utopia, "Eggman land". (Creative name, I know) However, Sonic absorbs Gaia's energy and transforms into a werehog. Yes, a WEREHOG. As in, whenever he sees the moon, he turns into this strong, furry, huge beast with stretchy arms. After falling to the Earth and surviving, he finds out that a little flying fairy dog, thing, has been knocked out. Sonic wonders if he has knocked out this tiny creature, and proceeds to try to wake him up. Startled by Sonic's strange appearance, the strange creature runs away. Sonic tells the creature that there's nothing to worry about, and this creature decides to trust him. Soon, the Sun rises, and Sonic is reverted back to the blue form that we're all familiar with. Sonic says that he will help this creature, and after walking around town for anyone who might know him, Sonic decides to name this tiny thing "Chip". After exploring the town and it's incredibly linear and confined areas, Sonic and Chip find out that in order to restore the continents, they must place the Chaos Emeralds in shrines all around the world. After realizing this, the two find Tails the Fox, Sonic's long time best friend, who tags along for the ride, and travel all around the world searching for these shrines to stop Dr. Eggman's plot, defeat Dark Gaia, and restore the world to it's original state. I can see a LOT of effort and thought put into this story. Although I prefer Sonic storylines to be a bit more simple, a bit of seriousness can never hurt, and there are a few Comedy scenes that balance out the seriousness. Finally, the graphics and visuals. The visuals in this game are STUNNING. The humans aren't realistic, and don't TRY to be realistic, so they feel a bit less out of place with the Giant mutant animals. The stages are beautiful to look at, and the character models are very polished, and this game looks beautiful in HD. But despite the stunning visuals and amazing storyline, the gameplay is just too shallow and too out of place to make this game any fun. Sonic's levels shouldn't be confined, they should be open and free. You should be able to fully EXPLORE the world around you, and not be trapped on ONE path which will occasionally branch out into two or three pathways. The funny thing is, that the HUB WORLDS in this game allow more exploration then the actual levels themselves. In conclusion, this game, while the story had a lot of effort put into it, and the visuals are very pretty to look at, the gameplay, and the level design is just shallow and boring in the daytime stages, and out of place during the Nighttime stages. This is, in my opinion, the WORST Sonic game in terms of level design and gameplay. While the story is a grand step up from games like Sonic 2006, and Shadow The Hedgehog, this game just offers you nothing to do half the time, and the brawling sections in the Nighttime stages can get very repetitive after a while. This is the most overrated, over-hyped, and overly loved game in Sonic history. If you're looking for a Sonic game with some thought put into it, DON'T get Sonic Unleashed. I'd suggest getting Sonic Generations or Colors. I give this game a 2 out of 10. Expand
  13. Dec 8, 2011
    Sonic Unleashed seemed to continue the downward trend of modern Sonic games.

Sonic Unleashed seemed to continue the downward trend of modern Sonic games.

OK, I will admit - it's a step forward from 06, but that doesn't automatically mean it's great. What people overlook so damn much is that: 1) The MAJORITY of the game is played as the Werehog, which is absolute CRAP. I can't believe people can be so blind and brand this as 'such a great game' and yet they themselves had a horrible time with this disgusting gameplay style. 2/3 of the game is played as this piece of crap, which automatically makes it a bad game. But no, SEGA had to make it even WORSE! Let's go deeper, shall we? 2) Surprisingly, the incredibly overrated daytime stages are bad as well. At first, you'll be in love with them, because of their insane speed, seemless gameplay and literally effortless fun. But once you decide to play them again... the fun is gone. Why? Because you're constrained in a tight hallway surrounded by invisible walls and doing nothing but plough through everything at breakneck speed with no thinking required. I really don't understand what the hell is so fun about this turdfest. It's WAY too easy and gives nothing for the player to do but RUN. Sounds fun, right? 3) Pace... ugh. Remember the good old days, where simply beating a stage would lead you onto another? Well, Sonic Unleashed throws all of that away and forces you to explore hubworlds, talk to random people, wait through loading screens to access ANOTHER hubworld and as soon as you reach the level gate, you're prompted by this annoying pest known as 'Chip' that you haven't collected enough sun or moon medals. This means that you have to replay the crap you've just played to collect more medals hidden throughout the stages in order to progress. It enhances replay value, but then again, why 'enhance' replay value on something that nobody would enjoy (well, at least the Werehog, anyway)? It's just a stupid gimmick to pad the game out.

OK, so, I don't like this game, which is pretty clear. But is there ANYTHING that this game did right? Hell yes.

1) The graphics are stunning, especially in HD. It makes the pain more bearable to see all these pretty landscapes that you wish you could explore but can't because the stupid game won't let you. 2) The music is fantastic. The daytime music is usually more fast and upbeat, featuring some catchy tunes packed with variety. These just give me a feel-good feeling. The nighttime music, on the other hand, is much slower, somewhat orchestral and relaxing. Personally, I prefer the daytime music, but there's no denying that both types of track are just great. 3) While I do NOT like the daytime stages, I can praise it for at least one thing: the technical achievement. Even though ploughing mindlessly through everything is NOT my kind of fun, you've got to admit that it's pretty darn stunning to see Sonic run that fast with incredible graphics to boot. There's not a single slowdown issue while doing any of this, either. There are a few framerate dips, however, espeically in the later stages.

So, all in all, I would recommend Sonic Unleashed ONLY to diehard Sonic fans who want to 'check it out'. Otherwise, (send me death threats for saying this, I don't care) Sonic Unleashed is a smelling piece of crap and it should never have been released in such a state.
  14. VV
    Jan 16, 2009
    The best 3D Sonic game since Sonic Adventure 2 on the Dreamcast, playing the day levels with Sonic is fast (FAST) and fun, frustrating at times but very regarding as well, great locations and amazing graphics... sadly the same can't be said about the clumsy and ugly night levels with the Werehog, bad concept and execution, totally unnesessary. I hope SEGA to listen to their fans andThe best 3D Sonic game since Sonic Adventure 2 on the Dreamcast, playing the day levels with Sonic is fast (FAST) and fun, frustrating at times but very regarding as well, great locations and amazing graphics... sadly the same can't be said about the clumsy and ugly night levels with the Werehog, bad concept and execution, totally unnesessary. I hope SEGA to listen to their fans and keep Sonic and only Sonic for the next game. Expand
  15. Apr 5, 2015
    Is it bad? YES. Does it earn your time? NO. So disappointed. Too much boring unnecessary stuff, too goofy, too childish, too dumb, levels just doesn't feel right. Generations are 10 times better. I wonder: is it possible that Sonic 06 is even worse?
  16. Jul 5, 2014
    There are some things that are pretty awesome like combat system and speed, others are boring story and dialogues. This is not one of the best Sega's game.
  17. Jul 6, 2015
    Most people hate this game because of the werehog, i'm not a big fan of the gameplay but still the game is great, the story is the best for a Sonic game, my favorite game of Sonic
  18. Nov 16, 2015
    This game deserves a score of 10 was the best game and downtrodden franchise, I'm sick of this fandom, I want all of you die. Sincerely I wish there Sonic Team did more games like this.
  19. Jun 23, 2016
    sonic unleashed is best ps3 game ever, after amazing game sonic 06, sonic turned into a werehog, and dark gaia is awakened, it's up to sonic and his friend chip to defeat dark gaia and his minions. Get sonic unleashed.
  20. AnthonyL
    Jan 3, 2009
  21. MartinS
    Oct 6, 2009
    This game is a pretty big disappointment. I actually thought this game was the next Sonic Adventure but I was wrong...for the most part. Don't get me wrong, the day stages are AMAZING! But getting the medals & playing as a "werehog" is what made me hate this game! Sega, please make a tue sonic game! Like *cough* Sonic Adventure 3 *cough*
  22. MarkK.
    Jan 3, 2009
    When it plays like Sonic Rush it's great. But once the Sonic Adventure formula kicks in you wonder why Sonic Team just doesn't accept that 3-D Sonic games simply don't work.
  23. StevenS.
    Dec 24, 2008
    Sonic Unleashed is simply the best Sonic game released this generation. Reviewers need to stop comparing this game against previous Sonic games and review it on its own two legs.
  24. JimT
    Dec 31, 2008
    This game is pretty great. If people could just get over the stupid "OMGZ WEREHOG!!??" mentality they'd realize that even the werehog portions of the game is a good, challenging platformer. The Daytime levels are perfect and amazing. So amazing day levels + rewarding and fun night levels = Good game.
  25. Jul 4, 2011
    After playing the utter disappointment which was Sonic 2006, which followed another horrible Sonic game - Sonic Heroes, I wasn't really optimistic when buying Sonic Unleashed. However I was pleasantly surprised. This game is surprisingly good: the graphics are stunning, Sonic levels are action packed and the gameplay itself looks impressive (my friends like to watch me play them becauseAfter playing the utter disappointment which was Sonic 2006, which followed another horrible Sonic game - Sonic Heroes, I wasn't really optimistic when buying Sonic Unleashed. However I was pleasantly surprised. This game is surprisingly good: the graphics are stunning, Sonic levels are action packed and the gameplay itself looks impressive (my friends like to watch me play them because they look so cool). The Werehog levels are fun too, although sometimes they have frustrating moments - level checkpoints could have been placed more wisely. They have a "God of War"-like mechanic with several different combos and finishing moves. I haven't experienced any major bugs (I was playing the latest update though), although the framerate sometimes drops significantly. The game may also be too juvenile (as compared to e.g. Sonic Adventure 2) and Chip might be the most annoying Sonic character of all time (even more annoying then Amy) but overall the game is very good, probably the best Sonic game after Sonic Adventure 2. Sonic fans can add 1 point to this score. Expand
  26. Nov 7, 2011
    I really liked this Sonic game. Sonic is still very fast hedgehog we all know, but at night he becomes the werehog. Although he travels slower than normal Sonic, Sonic the werehog is actually pretty cool to play as if you want a combat-heavy experience, but it is more diffucult than traditional Sonic gameplay. The game is a mix of hedgehog and werehog levels.
  27. Nov 22, 2011
    A very good game, not to fond of the warehog; not to hate on it, but for me its just not sonic. Sonic is an icon for speed and agility, a game franchise that requires fast reflexes and pushes one to strive for record times. If speed were not such a trademark of the series I might be alright with a change up like this, I do love the daytime levels! I appreciate that they tried to addA very good game, not to fond of the warehog; not to hate on it, but for me its just not sonic. Sonic is an icon for speed and agility, a game franchise that requires fast reflexes and pushes one to strive for record times. If speed were not such a trademark of the series I might be alright with a change up like this, I do love the daytime levels! I appreciate that they tried to add something new into the game, but Warehog should be an unlockable bonus mode or something, not part of the main storyline. Expand
  28. Jun 28, 2012
    Not the greatest. Not the worst. For the first time ever since his dreamcast days Sonic stands on his feet. The sonic levels are fantastic. The storyline sort of sucks and the wherehog levels are painful. Good improvement Sonic, but not good enough. Mediocre.
  29. Feb 3, 2013
    a game of two halves. One is an amazing high speed platformer, the other is a mediocre "god of war for kids" type of game melded together with mindnummingly boring hub worlds. Sonic unleashed has so many design problems outside of the daytime levels its insane here's a few examples the final level is horrible, collecting medals to unlock stages is tedious, extra missions are either badlya game of two halves. One is an amazing high speed platformer, the other is a mediocre "god of war for kids" type of game melded together with mindnummingly boring hub worlds. Sonic unleashed has so many design problems outside of the daytime levels its insane here's a few examples the final level is horrible, collecting medals to unlock stages is tedious, extra missions are either badly designed or repetitive as all hell. I would say it would be worth it for the daytime levels alone but the game is designed in such a mess you would have to play dozens of werehog stages each around 10-20 minutes long in order to unlock a fantastic but short daytime level (lasting about 4-6 minutes) overall not worth it unless you're a huge sonic fan. Expand
  30. Jun 11, 2013
    I was really excited to play this game and it was pretty good. The day missions can be frustrating at times, but running on water was really fun. The Werehog missions were time consuming in my opinion, but it was fun to fight 20 monsters with the Werehog's strength. You can explore any continent in the world, interact with people and complete side missions. If you're a fan of Sonic theI was really excited to play this game and it was pretty good. The day missions can be frustrating at times, but running on water was really fun. The Werehog missions were time consuming in my opinion, but it was fun to fight 20 monsters with the Werehog's strength. You can explore any continent in the world, interact with people and complete side missions. If you're a fan of Sonic the Hedgehog, you should definitely play this game. Expand
  31. Sep 18, 2013
    This is the most underrated Sonic game of all time. Most people only focus on the worse parts of the game, like the Werehog. That's the main criticism about the game. The game has two main gameplay styles, Sonic The Hedgehog and Sonic The Werehog. If you're like most people, just get up to around Adabat day and only replay daytime levels, and play Nighttime levels if you want to.
  32. Feb 19, 2014
    When sonic 06 destroyed my enthusiasm and interest in the sonic series sonic unleashed brought it back. with the best graphics 3d sonic had ever had. a solid plot line and enjoyment for oncegoing through the hub worlds. the speed levels are a 10/10 but the warehog lvs are beat em up heavy and are long and tedious but that shouldnt stop u from getting this sega sonic team classic
  33. Mar 14, 2014
    While the sonic sections are high paced and fun to play the werehog just feels slow and a bit boring to me after a while and just saying sega why go off of God of War sonic doesn't need that?
  34. Jun 19, 2015
    The game is good, has a good gameplay, a graphic not as impressive, a soundtrack to that good, but the Sonic racing part, it would be theoretically the main game, stands out well unless the phases of Sonic the Werehog .
  35. Sep 28, 2014
    I believe this is the most underrated sonic game ever and it makes me rage when classic and adventure sonic purist pair this game with 06. first I don't blame people for not liking it but this really isn't a poorly made game. the day time stages do indeed lack platforming and could use some more pathways but things like enemy placement and structure and focus is still done well and I canI believe this is the most underrated sonic game ever and it makes me rage when classic and adventure sonic purist pair this game with 06. first I don't blame people for not liking it but this really isn't a poorly made game. the day time stages do indeed lack platforming and could use some more pathways but things like enemy placement and structure and focus is still done well and I can forgive the lack of pathways and platfroming since this the first time sonic team is doing the rush formula in 3d, the werehog sections while bad on some parts only really suffer from long levels both werehog and hedgehog control fine enough but hedgehog sonic could have better control when not boosting like in generations. In terms of overall gameplay the main problem is the longevity in werehog stages and the difficulty spike once you get past chu-nan in day time stages.Now to story and presentation, first off the graphics are perfect except for the slowdown especially in adabat day time stages, though i heard this game was suppose to be on the pc so that's forgivable. the soundtack is some of sonic's best with it's diversity like sa1 but not quite as memorable. The voice acting is great, and another thing i hate how sonic fanboys give jason griffith so much **** and even though he wasn't too good in other games, here everyone and even tails' and amy's voice actors were quite good.The story is the best I got out of any sonic game, mainly about how things like dark gaia were explained well and the character interactions, mainly sonic and chip, were amazing and I love how they characterized sonic in this game like how he has sonic's attitude but he's somewhat mature and cares about others like I see the guy who been through the experience of adventure 1,2 and heroes and even though I'm okay with the new comedic route sonic is doing now i like this version of sonic much better. Plus I like how the story has a lot tension but is still lighthearted and not to serious like sa2 shadow the hedgehog or sonic 06. and even though people think 06 story is better because it's more complex and dark, one it was still constructed poorly, had bad writing, a lot of plot holes and characters acting like idiots ( like how silver trusts a evil looking guy with no mouth and a name that is an alias for the devil that he doesn't even know until it's too late). and two it's too serious for sonic because that wasn't the tone that was made for him since his premise is an over glorified version of the roadrunner cartoons( fast blue creature runs into hi-jinks with a genius who wants him dead) comparing these two stories is like comparing a burnt filet mignon to a very well made blt. And some people complained about how the werehog doesn't make sense when actually I never heard the argument about how the laser is shooting an energy that's the same as dark gaia's(which makes sense since they're the same color and would waking up dark gaia with its own energy makes sense also and eggman does seem capable to produce dark gaia energy since he claimed to have ''fed,'' dark gaia and also created a device that could attract dark gaia spawns) and so if the chaos emeralds' energy was converted into dark gaia energy when sonic whas still holding them then it makes since why sonic's the werehog. So that's the review, this is my second favorite sonic game next to generations and colors is 3rd. Expand
  36. Dec 17, 2014
    Sonic Unleashed, I find it a pretty good game, the daytime stages were fast paced and had the best 3D Sonic gameplay of any Sonic game, the graphics are beautiful, the controls are good, but can be loose as times, the levels are more fun to play (Except for Werehog stages which were boring), the musical soundtrack was great, it involves with fast paced catchy music, which has orchestratedSonic Unleashed, I find it a pretty good game, the daytime stages were fast paced and had the best 3D Sonic gameplay of any Sonic game, the graphics are beautiful, the controls are good, but can be loose as times, the levels are more fun to play (Except for Werehog stages which were boring), the musical soundtrack was great, it involves with fast paced catchy music, which has orchestrated music and musical instruments that matches the settings of countries perfectly and in night time, it became slower but still catchy and matches the atmosphere perfectly. There is one track that I don't like; Werehog Encounter theme, every time you encounter any enemy at any level with that Werehog, it repeats the same tune over and over again, which can get annoying, repetitive and tiring. And it had decent voice acting and epic storyline. The whole gameplay was great, except for the Werehog gameplay, it involves with action beat-em-up elements and platforming which were boring, repetitive and not as fun,Cnut it did have some fun but not too much. The Tornado levels were also disappointing, instead of moving around and shoot down enemies like in Sonic Adventure, it involves with rhythm gameplay to shoot down enemies where buttons tell you to do which can get frustrating at times. The boss battles were also a lot of fun too and collecting Sun and Moon Medals adds more replay value. But each hub world lacks exploration and not as fun like Sonic Adventure and Sonic 06, but didn't distract the whole game for me. Final verdict; The whole game was good, except for nighttime stages, Tornado stages, and sometimes getting to new levels when you collect enough medals to access which can get tedious at times. The positive are the story, daytime stages, great music, precise controls, decent voice acting and replay value. This is my eighth favourite Sonic game and fifth best 3D Sonic game ever. Expand
  37. Jul 19, 2015
    This version is simply astounding! The gameplay is great The sense of speed is amazing even the werehog levels weren't that bothersome. The graphics are simply astounding and is worth the buy. It has only one downside that collecting the medals. But other than that the game is amazing!!
  38. Dec 26, 2015
    Sonic Unleashed might be one of the most polemic sonic games out there. It receives undeserved hate as well as undeserved "love", seeing that some people consider it one of the best entries of the franchise. It is not, but it's not a bad game. Every time this game gives two steps in the right direction, it gives one backwards, having both amazing moments and mediocre or bad ones. TheSonic Unleashed might be one of the most polemic sonic games out there. It receives undeserved hate as well as undeserved "love", seeing that some people consider it one of the best entries of the franchise. It is not, but it's not a bad game. Every time this game gives two steps in the right direction, it gives one backwards, having both amazing moments and mediocre or bad ones. The biggest problem with this game, in my opinion, is not the warehog, but the dynamic in general. It starts with sonic being sonic and kicking everyone's ass, in a gorgeous cutscene. After being captured by eggman and transformed in the warehog, he's thrown in Earth. With sonic out of the scene, eggman blows everything and starts his attempt to awake Dark Gaia. Sonic meets Chip, who's lost his memory and identity. After a short tutorial, Sonic goes like "yo let's find out what's your name!!" and they try it for 15 minutes and that's it, no more about this until near the end of the game. Sonic finds Tails and meets the professor of Spagonia University, which is probably the less charismatic character i've ever seen, and then starts his journey of recovering the power of the chaos emeralds. There's no problem of a game having a simple plot, and that's what most of Sonic Unleashed is, but the game simply throws on the air every other plot element introduced in the beginning, like chip's lost memory or why the hell sonic transformed into a werewolf. I'm not saying story is an essential topic of a sonic game, but when it's awfully structured is very hard to feel attached to any character or to maintain a good dynamic, unless the gameplay is superb and saves the game even with a **** story, which it's not the case, most of the times, in Unleashed. The game gets boring most of the time because of this lack of a good dynamic, together with a boring set of secondary character in the cities and a mediocre gameplay in the night sessions. The great antithesis of this game is the night x day stages (that's where most of the two steps forward and one back thing appears). The day stages are incredible, and i dare to say they are the best i've seen in the sonic franchise so far, being well designed and challenging. The night stages, however, are boring, but not bad. They have the minimum needed to be considered acceptable (they are not good, either), which make them boring, but "ok". The boss battles are a good step forward, being the day bosses the best ones. I would say Sonic Unleashed is the closest of the most flawed version of an ideal sonic game, which is not something so good to say, but it is something... While i got very frustrated with the lack of a good dynamic in most of it, i was impressed with the day stages. There are other positive points too: some cutscenes are very beautiful and well made, the environment in most of the stages is gorgeous and the replay is satisfactory.
    Overall, i would say this game is a decent step in the right direction for the future of the franchise, specially because of the day-time stages, but the flaws are so evident that it's hard not to feel bored and frustrated with some lack of effort to make it more enjoyable. SPOILERS AHEAD: Its plot attempted to talk about more complex questions putting Chip as Light Gaia and Sonic in this day x night (dark x light) duality, but you only get to see this being seriously discussed in a short speech made by the professor at the end. I won't, again, say that i care much about the story in a sonic game, but it's complicated to make such attempts and not discuss them properly because it makes the characters, and pretty much everything, just... dull. END OF SPOILERS. For the sake of the insane experience that is playing the day stages, i would say "go buy this game", but don't expect to enjoy it for most of the time. It deserves its credits, but lacks the quality of a good game.
  39. Jul 12, 2015
    Short Review:
    Pros:
    Really good story. Gorgeous visuals Fast paced daytime gameplay Really good music Cons: Bad framerate Slow paced God of War-style gameplay at night( not usual in a sonic game) No dropshadow for platforming. Long review: My first and favorite Sonic game. It has the fast-paced platforming gameplay we all know and love from Sonic games in daytime and in
    Short Review:
    Pros:

Really good story.
    Gorgeous visuals
    Fast paced daytime gameplay
    Really good music

Cons:
    Bad framerate
    Slow paced God of War-style gameplay at night( not usual in a sonic game)
    No dropshadow for platforming.

Long review:

My first and favorite Sonic game.
    It has the fast-paced platforming gameplay we all know and love from Sonic games in daytime and in night time he turns into a werehog( kind of like a werewolf but instead of human/wolf it is hedgehog/wolf ) with slow paced beat-em up style gameplay which is one of the reasons why I did not give it a perfect score. Best story on any Sonic game hands down, amazing soundtrack, great visuals way ahead of its time but it has a very bad framerate usually going from 30-27 to 22 to 17 and back to 30 which can sometimes make platforming hard.
  40. Aug 21, 2015
    My first impressions of this game were not good. Shoddy graphics, frame rate drops and a flying squirrel that can talk. However as I played the game the beautiful and diverse environments, the amazing story and the brilliant core game play design made me really enjoy this game.
  41. Dec 6, 2015
    dios . este es una obra de arte primero su historia luego su jugabilidad de dia y de noche , luego graficos bien trabajos etc . todo exclente lo unico que no me gusta son algunas se ven medio deformes lo unico lo demas esta exelente pero por poco no supera el generations pero es increible este juegaso. y supera 10.000.000 de veces el de play2 que fue el peor juego moderno que juge
  42. Jan 27, 2016
    Let me think... i think sonic unleashed really suceeded the thing that's holding it back was the werehog, but i like the combat mechanics is like when you wanna go fast choose day stages, wanna go all slow and have a battle choose the werehog, the boost mechanics are incredibel the speed and platforming are balanced, eggman land is frustrating but chalenging that's what today sonic games lack
  43. Mar 31, 2016
    Este que foi um dos se não o melhor jogo da hera moderna de Sonic, um jogo que me fez remeter ao Sonic Adventure pela sua exploração nos ditos Hub Worlds e principalmente dentro das próprias fases. Na questão gráfica, ele continua sendo um dos jogos com os gráficos mais lindos até mesmo para os dias de hoje. Com relação a historia e enredo do jogo, não posso dizer que foi uma das melhoresEste que foi um dos se não o melhor jogo da hera moderna de Sonic, um jogo que me fez remeter ao Sonic Adventure pela sua exploração nos ditos Hub Worlds e principalmente dentro das próprias fases. Na questão gráfica, ele continua sendo um dos jogos com os gráficos mais lindos até mesmo para os dias de hoje. Com relação a historia e enredo do jogo, não posso dizer que foi uma das melhores historias, mas tem sim uma ótima historia e um ótimo enredo. com relação a jogabilidade é sem duvida uma das melhores, os controles respondem muito bem, as vezes ocorrem alguns travamentos e isso pode acabar resultando em uma morte injusta. Mas nem se preocupem pois isso não tira em nada a grandiosidade desse jogo que é incrivel.
    Aos fans de Sonic que nunca jogaram este jogo da franquia podem jogar sem medo será um dos se não o melhor jogo do Sonic que irão ter a oportunidade de jogar
  44. Jun 15, 2016
    To me I enjoy the game, it was a breath of fresh air for the series and the gameplay is just more better than the last sonic games, and for the most part I love playing as werehog because Its fun to beat up the villains rather than just simply speeding off, and even as hedgehog his gameplay still great as know he has a better way to be faster and controllable as well.
  45. May 24, 2016
    First of all, the day stages are fantastic and some of the best in the entire series and i actually found the night stages to be quite fun because of the variety of combos and platforming segments, they are not great, but they are not bad either, and the soundtrack is awesome. However, the game has some serious technical issues, mainly with the unstable framerate. The sun and moon medalFirst of all, the day stages are fantastic and some of the best in the entire series and i actually found the night stages to be quite fun because of the variety of combos and platforming segments, they are not great, but they are not bad either, and the soundtrack is awesome. However, the game has some serious technical issues, mainly with the unstable framerate. The sun and moon medal hunting is a completely unnecessary addition which is only present to make the game longer. And lastly we have the last two boss fights which are terrible and some of the worst in the series. But overall, this game is good, if you can look past the flaws previously mentioned, you will have a good tim Expand
  46. Jul 9, 2016
    Visuals-The game looks very nice for a late 2008 game,Beautiful lighting,vibrant environments that are distinct along with well made models,the game still look good today.Now a down side is there can be a decent amount of frame rate drops,around 10% of the time in levels,40% when it comes to hubs.a lot of textures can look blurry close up,and the plant life isn't that detailed(there is anVisuals-The game looks very nice for a late 2008 game,Beautiful lighting,vibrant environments that are distinct along with well made models,the game still look good today.Now a down side is there can be a decent amount of frame rate drops,around 10% of the time in levels,40% when it comes to hubs.a lot of textures can look blurry close up,and the plant life isn't that detailed(there is an abundance to draw away from that) when not running fast is when you notice this the most, its not a very offensive amount though.

GamePlay-Sonic's base form controls like it did in sonic rush,if you haven't played that in 2D you somewhat have a classic sonic control on things but you have a boost that increases your speed that can move enemy's out the way easy.You can jump 1 time and use homing attack when a green target shows in the direction your pointing by pressing square,its quick and has a very hard hit.You have a slide with O and can do a kick if you stand still and hit O.In 3D sonic has pretty stiff movement .The design is well suited for it though so no need to worry.Jumping slows you speed down making it a lot easier to get precise jumps in heavy platforming areas.Now the werehog controls like a old school 16bit beat em up in 3D with god of war box puzzles in it.The wherehog can upgrade life,strength,skill and the unleashed bar.Thats not all of them but your better off upgrading skill to increase your stylish killing efficiency.You have a sprint that stiffens your movement and gives you a higher wider jump.

Story-Starts out with a heavy action sequence of eggman versing sonic.After that whole thing happens eggman captures sonic and breaks the earth trying to awaken a creature called dark gai to do his bidding.The energy the creature gives off back lashes into sonic which I assume sonic was there for taking the negative effects ,he turned into the werehog.After that the plot kinda of has no tension sonic meets a little animal and they find out with tails they have to find the gai temples to restore the planet,Oh and dialogue can be pretty corny so don't expect a laugh out of the main story(only expect that from the hubs).The game doesn't get intense again till you get to the hell hole that was hinted since 1998 in sonic adventure.EggMan Land the atmosphere is is intense,and really feels like a grand finally with what goes down there,don't expect to be disappointed.

The Hubs-Now you have to go thru them to get information to advance the plot,and collect medals. Now besides that you can actually do little fetch quest with all the people in these small areas(theres not a lot but it was used pretty efficiently)You can help people out with missions that include little sections of the main level being altered,and they can give you rewards to trade with people for extra things like concepts.Now the writing was done a lot more well here,you can care for the people your saving going to these hubs.One example of better writing can be this random fortune teller you think is" alright might as well"Answer a series of question.Then she actually manages to read you like an open book and tells you things about your actual self that relates nothing to the questions you answered It was pretty neat.Helping with some family affairs,people over coming there social issues its all very well executed.

Level Design-You have to collect sun and moon medals to progress,And difficulty gradually goes up. Sonics base levels are built to be beat them as fast as you can9now your not forced too).the main levels will take around 4-7 minutes on average,side levels 1-3 minutes.7 continents which have an average of 2-4 extra side levels.Now eegman land is the 8th but its one giant level that will take around an hour.The game is also reaction based mostly dodge spikes.You don't have to boost like a mad man most the time either,the game starts you off at the slowest speed to ease you in so you wont be over whelmed.You have grinding,bounce pads to launch you,zip lines, rotating platforms,fire works to be launched off of,dash pads to give you a boost,running so fast you can keep a float on water.As you can tell its an energetic game.It has 40% 2D and 60% 3D switches but the change isn't to big you more or less feel the games the same pass.Wherehog is all 3D,and Consists of beat all the enemy's to eliminate the barrier, jumping from platform to garbing edges with stretchy arms,swinging on poles,spinning levelers,lifting doors up,getting a switch.Now it can be less stylish then the other games in the beat em up genera,but you have to level up to get entertaining sights with your fighting.You have small murks,medium murks,very small murks for throwing and bashing 2 of there heads together,and the big guys that need that unleashed bar to take out quick.
    Music-Very diverse is usually takes a well known idea people would have of areas sounding, like the middle east,Cambodia,china,Greece,Italy,America,The South pole,Africa
  47. Aug 5, 2016
    I liked shadow the hedgehog, I understand why people hate it, I love sonic 06, I understand why people hate it, but this I dont get at all, now the were hog stages are too long, I dont find myself replaying theme, but they are not **** terrible, the combat is fun, even the daytime stages get **** from some people, you wanted speed and platforming, you **** got speed and platforming! TheI liked shadow the hedgehog, I understand why people hate it, I love sonic 06, I understand why people hate it, but this I dont get at all, now the were hog stages are too long, I dont find myself replaying theme, but they are not **** terrible, the combat is fun, even the daytime stages get **** from some people, you wanted speed and platforming, you **** got speed and platforming! The hub worlds seriously? You even hate the hub worlds, why? Oh because it's too slow, SHUT THE **** UP and slow down for once okay!?! This is my favourite sonic game and I will just say **** the haters p, **** the sonic, fans **** the critics and **** you if you hate it! Expand
  48. Sep 29, 2016
    this game is great although i hate eggmanland its so darn hard its unbelievable i hate that zone its one of the worst in the franchise the hot dogs missons repeat themselves but i think its great you can feed sonic and it makes him much faster which is what you play a sonic game for

1. Despite the game’s clumsy story progression and repetitive werehog combat, it manages to be the best Sonic game released in recent memory. This is thanks mostly to the excellent hedgehog levels that evoke memories of classic Sonic titles while still managing to feel fresh and new.
    Even with no expectations going in, we can't imagine many in our ADHD generation holding patience enough to wade through 20-to-30 minute intervals of repetitive room clearing again and again just to find enough Sun tokens to unlock the next decent racing portion. It just isn't enough fun to warrant the effort.
  3. To be quite frank, Sonic Unleashed is half great game, and half unnecessarily unleashed. The Sonic levels are extremely fun and bring back the memories of yesteryear, and the night-time levels will leave players wondering why Sonic Team continues to torture their fans by continuing to add pointless things to prolong good gameplay.