Sonic Unleashed PlayStation 3

7.9

1. Jul 5, 2014
    There are some things that are pretty awesome like combat system and speed, others are boring story and dialogues. This is not one of the best Sega's game.
  2. Apr 28, 2011
    Its hard to imagine how this was a "good" Sonic game back in 2008. I loved Sonic Unleased on the PS2, I thought it was simple, and easy to navigate. This game... is broken. Its hard to ignore the fact that the controls are extremely touchy, depth perception is difficult to master, and an unfriendly camera makes the experience a mess. Compounding on that... framerate drops are present inIts hard to imagine how this was a "good" Sonic game back in 2008. I loved Sonic Unleased on the PS2, I thought it was simple, and easy to navigate. This game... is broken. Its hard to ignore the fact that the controls are extremely touchy, depth perception is difficult to master, and an unfriendly camera makes the experience a mess. Compounding on that... framerate drops are present in cutscenes and night scenes. The Werehog is a love it or hate it relationship. I am honestly not a huge fan of it, but I can deal with it. It however is frustrating that you spend as little as 1 or 2 minutes on a day stage and spend as little as 6 to 7 minutes on a night. It is a jarring change in pace. If you see this game marked down... leave it now that it is 2011. Sonic Unleashed on the PS3 is Okay. It is not the most spectacular experience of Sonic you have available today. Expand
  3. Jun 19, 2015
    The game is good, has a good gameplay, a graphic not as impressive, a soundtrack to that good, but the Sonic racing part, it would be theoretically the main game, stands out well unless the phases of Sonic the Werehog .
  4. Feb 3, 2013
    a game of two halves. One is an amazing high speed platformer, the other is a mediocre "god of war for kids" type of game melded together with mindnummingly boring hub worlds. Sonic unleashed has so many design problems outside of the daytime levels its insane here's a few examples the final level is horrible, collecting medals to unlock stages is tedious, extra missions are either badlya game of two halves. One is an amazing high speed platformer, the other is a mediocre "god of war for kids" type of game melded together with mindnummingly boring hub worlds. Sonic unleashed has so many design problems outside of the daytime levels its insane here's a few examples the final level is horrible, collecting medals to unlock stages is tedious, extra missions are either badly designed or repetitive as all hell. I would say it would be worth it for the daytime levels alone but the game is designed in such a mess you would have to play dozens of werehog stages each around 10-20 minutes long in order to unlock a fantastic but short daytime level (lasting about 4-6 minutes) overall not worth it unless you're a huge sonic fan. Expand
  5. Jun 28, 2012
    Not the greatest. Not the worst. For the first time ever since his dreamcast days Sonic stands on his feet. The sonic levels are fantastic. The storyline sort of sucks and the wherehog levels are painful. Good improvement Sonic, but not good enough. Mediocre.
  6. Nov 5, 2010
    Just as maniy other reviews state, 1/3 of this game is amazing(the sonic daytime levels) 1/3 of it is Decent (that being the were hog night lvls) and the other 3rd is completly slow and un needed (the town exploration areas)

The Sonic levels are fast furious and amazing, I can say that for the time being this is the fastest sonic game ever made up to this time. They make the game worth playing for any fan .

The were hog lvls are not horrible. They are a blend of combat (which is really dull and under developed) and platforming/ puzzle solving, almost remenescent of early crash bandicoot games. The problem is that while they are not horrible they just drag the game down from the amazing Sonic running stages and last well over 4 times as long (which is being generous, it could be more than that.) The only portion to fall flat are the towns, the controls are crappy and loose though that isn't really relevant as much as it is just a minor annoyance. What is terrible is that they are slow and filled with retarded diologue form deformed retarded and generic human characters that are totally out of place and really with the overall structure of the levels, this portion didn't need to be there in the first place, a menu to select stages would have been sufficient with a cut scene between stages here or there ala sonic adventure 2. Bottom line, chances are, if your a fan and still curious about the game at this point, then chances are, you will enjoy it enough to overlook its shortcomings.
  7. Feb 19, 2014
    When sonic 06 destroyed my enthusiasm and interest in the sonic series sonic unleashed brought it back. with the best graphics 3d sonic had ever had. a solid plot line and enjoyment for oncegoing through the hub worlds. the speed levels are a 10/10 but the warehog lvs are beat em up heavy and are long and tedious but that shouldnt stop u from getting this sega sonic team classic
  8. May 24, 2016
    First of all, the day stages are fantastic and some of the best in the entire series and i actually found the night stages to be quite fun because of the variety of combos and platforming segments, they are not great, but they are not bad either, and the soundtrack is awesome. However, the game has some serious technical issues, mainly with the unstable framerate. The sun and moon medalFirst of all, the day stages are fantastic and some of the best in the entire series and i actually found the night stages to be quite fun because of the variety of combos and platforming segments, they are not great, but they are not bad either, and the soundtrack is awesome. However, the game has some serious technical issues, mainly with the unstable framerate. The sun and moon medal hunting is a completely unnecessary addition which is only present to make the game longer. And lastly we have the last two boss fights which are terrible and some of the worst in the series. But overall, this game is good, if you can look past the flaws previously mentioned, you will have a good tim Expand
  9. Apr 20, 2011
    When I first saw gameplay footage for this game (aka. the daytime stages), I rushed to get an HD console.

The daytime stages, although platforming-devoid and linear, are so thrilling and fun, complete with gorgeous environments, ear-climaxing music, and a ton of cinematic camera angles, switching from the 3D to 2.5D perspectives. It's everything that made Sonic Adventure famous back then, except on complete overdrive. Although the controls were a bit unresponsive, it was a thrilling part of the game that impressed nearly every person I showed.

Then, *sigh*, we get to the Werehog stages. Why is there a Werehog? Don't Know. However, while it's not as bad as people made it out to be, it certainly is a below-average combat experience. Think God of War, except a hell of a lot easier with an annoying combat music (that comes on EVERY TIME you encounter an enemy). It tries to be cool by being completely different from the daytime stages, but it just comes off as completely flow-breaking and unneccessary.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed the game despite that. The hub worlds feel like they have been done right, and they're a hell of a lot better than the ones in Sonic 06 and Sonic Adventure. While people have been annoyed with the mandatory medal collecting, it honestly never bothered me until I got to the Adabat daytime stage, and even then, I only had to play a few of the optional stages to easily collect the medals I need (the majority of them being in the Werehog Stages).

There are a few other setbacks like the frame rate (although I heard that the Xbox 360 version had less framerate problems), but other than that, this is generally a good game. Not great, but simply good. My suggestion is to download the demo and try out the first daytime stage to get a good glimpse at the gold mine of speed and excitement, then look at the Werehog Stages. If you're still cautious, then I suggest renting it.
    Overall Rating: 7.5/10
  10. Dec 7, 2011
    I strongly believe that Sonic Unleashed does not deserve a 54/100 if the 'average' score on Metacritic these days for games is an 80. This game does indeed have its flaws, such as the nighttime levels being quite tedious, however the day time levels are so good that this game stayed enjoyable for me for quite a long time.

I've been playing Sonic Generations recently and I've noticed that

I've been playing Sonic Generations recently and I've noticed that the daytime levels in Unleashed are generally *much* better than Generation's, purely because they are much more fun and feel a lot more fast-paced and satisfying to beat.

I would certainly recommend this game to younger gamers. It's not perfect, but is certainly worth the low price.
  11. Mar 14, 2014
    While the sonic sections are high paced and fun to play the werehog just feels slow and a bit boring to me after a while and just saying sega why go off of God of War sonic doesn't need that?
  12. Dec 26, 2015
    Sonic Unleashed might be one of the most polemic sonic games out there. It receives undeserved hate as well as undeserved "love", seeing that some people consider it one of the best entries of the franchise. It is not, but it's not a bad game. Every time this game gives two steps in the right direction, it gives one backwards, having both amazing moments and mediocre or bad ones. TheSonic Unleashed might be one of the most polemic sonic games out there. It receives undeserved hate as well as undeserved "love", seeing that some people consider it one of the best entries of the franchise. It is not, but it's not a bad game. Every time this game gives two steps in the right direction, it gives one backwards, having both amazing moments and mediocre or bad ones. The biggest problem with this game, in my opinion, is not the warehog, but the dynamic in general. It starts with sonic being sonic and kicking everyone's ass, in a gorgeous cutscene. After being captured by eggman and transformed in the warehog, he's thrown in Earth. With sonic out of the scene, eggman blows everything and starts his attempt to awake Dark Gaia. Sonic meets Chip, who's lost his memory and identity. After a short tutorial, Sonic goes like "yo let's find out what's your name!!" and they try it for 15 minutes and that's it, no more about this until near the end of the game. Sonic finds Tails and meets the professor of Spagonia University, which is probably the less charismatic character i've ever seen, and then starts his journey of recovering the power of the chaos emeralds. There's no problem of a game having a simple plot, and that's what most of Sonic Unleashed is, but the game simply throws on the air every other plot element introduced in the beginning, like chip's lost memory or why the hell sonic transformed into a werewolf. I'm not saying story is an essential topic of a sonic game, but when it's awfully structured is very hard to feel attached to any character or to maintain a good dynamic, unless the gameplay is superb and saves the game even with a **** story, which it's not the case, most of the times, in Unleashed. The game gets boring most of the time because of this lack of a good dynamic, together with a boring set of secondary character in the cities and a mediocre gameplay in the night sessions. The great antithesis of this game is the night x day stages (that's where most of the two steps forward and one back thing appears). The day stages are incredible, and i dare to say they are the best i've seen in the sonic franchise so far, being well designed and challenging. The night stages, however, are boring, but not bad. They have the minimum needed to be considered acceptable (they are not good, either), which make them boring, but "ok". The boss battles are a good step forward, being the day bosses the best ones. I would say Sonic Unleashed is the closest of the most flawed version of an ideal sonic game, which is not something so good to say, but it is something... While i got very frustrated with the lack of a good dynamic in most of it, i was impressed with the day stages. There are other positive points too: some cutscenes are very beautiful and well made, the environment in most of the stages is gorgeous and the replay is satisfactory.
    Overall, i would say this game is a decent step in the right direction for the future of the franchise, specially because of the day-time stages, but the flaws are so evident that it's hard not to feel bored and frustrated with some lack of effort to make it more enjoyable. SPOILERS AHEAD: Its plot attempted to talk about more complex questions putting Chip as Light Gaia and Sonic in this day x night (dark x light) duality, but you only get to see this being seriously discussed in a short speech made by the professor at the end. I won't, again, say that i care much about the story in a sonic game, but it's complicated to make such attempts and not discuss them properly because it makes the characters, and pretty much everything, just... dull. END OF SPOILERS. For the sake of the insane experience that is playing the day stages, i would say "go buy this game", but don't expect to enjoy it for most of the time. It deserves its credits, but lacks the quality of a good game.
  13. MartinS
    Oct 6, 2009
    This game is a pretty big disappointment. I actually thought this game was the next Sonic Adventure but I was wrong...for the most part. Don't get me wrong, the day stages are AMAZING! But getting the medals & playing as a "werehog" is what made me hate this game! Sega, please make a tue sonic game! Like *cough* Sonic Adventure 3 *cough*
  14. MarkD
    Jan 5, 2009
    The Warehog bits maybe arn't as bad as some reviewers have said but it's glaringly obvious that they pale in comparison to the brilliant Sonic bits. Why then do the Warehog bits and the even more tedius RPG bits make up more then half the game Sega? I must stress though that Sonic bits are a genuine return to form and for the the first time in years i'm hopefull for future The Warehog bits maybe arn't as bad as some reviewers have said but it's glaringly obvious that they pale in comparison to the brilliant Sonic bits. Why then do the Warehog bits and the even more tedius RPG bits make up more then half the game Sega? I must stress though that Sonic bits are a genuine return to form and for the the first time in years i'm hopefull for future Sonic games. Expand
  15. MarkK.
    Jan 3, 2009
    When it plays like Sonic Rush it's great. But once the Sonic Adventure formula kicks in you wonder why Sonic Team just doesn't accept that 3-D Sonic games simply don't work.
  16. Oct 9, 2011
    I am not a man of big words... so i could review this game just whit 4 and a half Words.......
    THIS GAME IS F****ING AWESOME! But I cannot do that since my review has to be 150 characters long....
    Yeah This game is one of the most fun loaded games i have ever played! The Storyline, The Graphics, The Details... everything well done! yeah what more can i say? i don't know... well it would be
    well it would be cooler if there was more playable characters, for example blaze, silver etc. but besides that i still love the game! and it was worth trading it for CoD-MW2, Big Time!!! : P

1. Despite the game’s clumsy story progression and repetitive werehog combat, it manages to be the best Sonic game released in recent memory. This is thanks mostly to the excellent hedgehog levels that evoke memories of classic Sonic titles while still managing to feel fresh and new.
    Even with no expectations going in, we can't imagine many in our ADHD generation holding patience enough to wade through 20-to-30 minute intervals of repetitive room clearing again and again just to find enough Sun tokens to unlock the next decent racing portion. It just isn't enough fun to warrant the effort.
  3. To be quite frank, Sonic Unleashed is half great game, and half unnecessarily unleashed. The Sonic levels are extremely fun and bring back the memories of yesteryear, and the night-time levels will leave players wondering why Sonic Team continues to torture their fans by continuing to add pointless things to prolong good gameplay.