Sorcery PlayStation 3

• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: May 22, 2012
7.3

1. May 23, 2012
    The best Move game available on the console. Although when you really think about it, it's not much of an accolade to have hanging from your chest. Despite the obvious lack of quality Move titles I found enough reasons to 'borrow' my girlfriends Move for the week. Sorcery is a simple title. You play a sorcerer's apprentice by the name of Finn in a world greatly inspired by Irish mythology,The best Move game available on the console. Although when you really think about it, it's not much of an accolade to have hanging from your chest. Despite the obvious lack of quality Move titles I found enough reasons to 'borrow' my girlfriends Move for the week. Sorcery is a simple title. You play a sorcerer's apprentice by the name of Finn in a world greatly inspired by Irish mythology, the kind of thing that was stuffed down into my bedtime stories as a child in rural Ireland. The plot is simple, it weaves an interesting reason to keep playing. But that's not why we're here. How does the game cope with the Move? Surprisingly well actually. It's one of the few games which feels very responsive and in tune with the game, rather than just relying on the 'wag for your dear little life' approach. Aim is important, the ideas and motions behind the spells and powers are relatable to the actions performed in the game. But while offering quite a few powers and options for combat, you'll quickly fall into the trap of becoming too comfortable with maybe two or three particular powers and then proceed to neglect some of the later spells. Still, despite the issues and the limitations Sorcery succeeds in becoming the best reason to own a Move. So far at least. Expand
  2. May 25, 2012
    The game isn't perfect. Alchemy and the puzzle elements are pretty simple and never evolve. But if you can look past that there's a charming game. The controls work well. Learning new spells and combining them keeps things fun and fresh. The decision to change the art direction to have more of a Celtic theme was a good one. The world, music, and illustrated cutscenes benefit from it. ThisThe game isn't perfect. Alchemy and the puzzle elements are pretty simple and never evolve. But if you can look past that there's a charming game. The controls work well. Learning new spells and combining them keeps things fun and fresh. The decision to change the art direction to have more of a Celtic theme was a good one. The world, music, and illustrated cutscenes benefit from it. This is easily the best game for the Move and a step in bridging the gap between Move titles and traditional games. Expand
  3. May 28, 2012
    Sorcery is a game full of originality, the story is not so trivial and the level design is workmanlike . the graphic engine is the unreal engine 3 and it still does its job . Sometimes you could experience some slowdown but this problem does not ruin the work of Santa Monica. Other effects like physics and light effects can carry you in a magic world . For what concerned game mechanics ,Sorcery is a game full of originality, the story is not so trivial and the level design is workmanlike . the graphic engine is the unreal engine 3 and it still does its job . Sometimes you could experience some slowdown but this problem does not ruin the work of Santa Monica. Other effects like physics and light effects can carry you in a magic world . For what concerned game mechanics , there is hardly better , All of the controls and combo make you feel a real wizard, the only negative things about game mechanics are reppresented by aiming system during the most hectic phases. Buy sorcery is a just reward for buying a ps move. Expand
  4. May 23, 2012
    Sorcery is a beautiful game; crafting, fighting and magic, what more can a person ask for? The environments and characters are fantastic, the game play is super fun, and the story holds my attention as I progress through each level. I finally have a good reason to own a PlayStation Move.
  5. May 23, 2012
    I'm now a proud Move owner who has the best PSMove game ever made. The controls are as good as they can possibly be. The game isn't on rails, there are tons of areas to explore off the main path with treasure to find and puzzles to solve. The Boss fights are challenging and the higher difficulty settings make you really pay attention to how you use your spells. And just because theI'm now a proud Move owner who has the best PSMove game ever made. The controls are as good as they can possibly be. The game isn't on rails, there are tons of areas to explore off the main path with treasure to find and puzzles to solve. The Boss fights are challenging and the higher difficulty settings make you really pay attention to how you use your spells. And just because the game is short doesn't mean you you don't have reasons to play it again; there are lots of achievements and alchemy recipies to try.

I think the small number of negative reviews have been a result of not knowing how to use the controller. You don't have to "repeatedly pretend you are hitting a nail with a hammer", although if you want to play that way and be bored you can. I have a lot more fun swinging the wand sideways - like trying to skip a stone across water - to get my magic missiles to curve around stuff that enemies are hiding behind.

Also, if you have been playing Wii games then you are probably at a loss for how the Move actually works... it's WAY more accurate and sensitive to how you hold it. If you want to shoot magic bolts up high, you actually have to AIM HIGH. Shaking it around like a rattle will get you nowhere, the game takes actual SKILL, which is a rare thing for games these days.

The one drawback is that there is no multiplayer or co-op, but I guess that was never in the cards to begin with and you can't fault a developer for focusing on doing one thing well. And since I can't give it a 9.5, I guess I'll have to round up. :)
  6. May 22, 2012
    Best move control game ever! Amazing magical environments. The game play with the wand is really accurate and you can feel the spell casting. The game includes puzzles as well as a being a shooter mixing it up to a fun action game.
  7. May 22, 2012
    Really happy with this game. Love using alchemy to make my character stronger. My favorite parts are the boss fights because you really have to figure out how to use the spells you get. Its colorful and the music is really good too. Good job Sony and Workshop, I have a PSMove game I actually want to play!
  8. May 23, 2012
    It's a really pretty game with interesting enemies and a solid story.There's a really satisfying KAPOW for each spell with the Move that a normal button press doesn't quite achieve. The story is completely classic. Arching acrane bolts and lightning traps are really fun and the polymorph potions are awesome. Each boss actually makes you think about what to do with your magic. EasilyIt's a really pretty game with interesting enemies and a solid story.There's a really satisfying KAPOW for each spell with the Move that a normal button press doesn't quite achieve. The story is completely classic. Arching acrane bolts and lightning traps are really fun and the polymorph potions are awesome. Each boss actually makes you think about what to do with your magic. Easily worth the 40 bucks. Expand
  9. Aug 1, 2013
    Just got this and its a fantastic game. The move integration is great, but the camera is a bit iffy, But this is easily overcome. Graphines are good and i highly recommend it.
  10. Jun 21, 2015
    The best game whith PlayStation move.ssssassssssssssssssssssssssssssssssjsjsjsjjdhdjhdjjdjddhndjdjdjkkdidjdnnxudbdydbxhhdncdnxjjdmdundnxjennxjxmfjxyudhhcufncjcumdjhdnducjmdjdjjcggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 13, 2012
    A decent action adventure with heavy emphasis on magical battles. It's almost a shooting game, which is a kind of disappointing. [Aug 2012]
  2. Jul 9, 2012
    Finally, a PlayStation Move game that seems to matter. It's a bit too short and also a bit too simple, but in the end you will remember this colorful platform game as an enriching Move experience.
  3. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Jul 4, 2012
    As a single-player thing, Sorcery is just okay. You run, you stick your shimmering shield up if things get hairy, you wave spells at shambling horrors, and a lot of the time our boy Finn does something completely mental because the control scheme is a very delicate thing indeedily. It's simple but frenetic, with some surprisingly nutty moments and even nuttier boss battles. [July 2012, p81]