8.5

1. Mar 6, 2014
    This definitely is a must buy if you’re a fan of the show, but even if you aren’t,nows is the time to give it a shot. A lot of people say its like paper mario rag so if your familiar with paper mario i'm sure you'll find the combat to your liking. Stick of the truth has to be what the fans dreamed for.

Maki
  2. Mar 4, 2014
    This is by far the best RPG of the year so far! the combat is old school like paper mario and
    mario rpg. This game is also one of the funniest games i have ever played. there is a ton of fan service in this game but non fans will not fill lost at all.most rpg fans will like this even if not a south park fan.
    the only rpg games that have a shot at being better this year are Final fantasy
    the only rpg games that have a shot at being better this year are Final fantasy x hd and the witcher 3,
    nothing else this year will beat this as far as rpgs go.
  3. Mar 9, 2014
    The Perfect South Park video game experience with a few flaws. The game is like an interactive South Park miniseries and there are plenty of "it's just like the show" moments and the same themes from the show are here. Clueless adults, bloodthirsty and incompetent government agents and plenty of naughtiness. Even someone like me who hasn't watched the show a lot got many of theThe Perfect South Park video game experience with a few flaws. The game is like an interactive South Park miniseries and there are plenty of "it's just like the show" moments and the same themes from the show are here. Clueless adults, bloodthirsty and incompetent government agents and plenty of naughtiness. Even someone like me who hasn't watched the show a lot got many of the references so I can imagine the Nirvana that real South Park fans are in when playing this game.

I've seen negative reviews about how this is "RPG-lite" and how about the game is too short, given that it is a RPG. Well, yes...it's technically a RPG, but it's a South Park game that is done in the genre of the RPG, which is a different concept. It's an enjoyable RPG and also a satire on RPGs at the same time, which is hard to pull off. To me, does the game succeed at what it wanted to do and was it a labor of love? Oh yes, most of the time, it does. The Canada portion is genius. The game follows the same logic as any South Park episode, in that there isn't really any, which makes for a very interesting first play through. You'll find your mouth gaping at some of the surprises and twists. Also, the game tests your puzzle-solving abilities often. They really spent the time to make the game rich and dense with adventure and open-world hunting.

The combat is satisfying with a blend of strategy and resource management while testing your twitch skills. Getting Perfects is very satisfying and the humor in some of the attacks is very creative. Playing as the Mage is especially a hoot, IMO. The weapons and costumes are well done as are a wealth of add-on options for your gear. Which is where we get into some negatives....

There is a lot of useless items you'll get to add to your gear and the menu system is itself clunky and swapping out the add-ons is kind of a pain, especially when at some points of the game when you get a new outfit it is immediately equipped, making you go back and swap it out if you don't like it. Also, while there are a LOT of different weapons, many of them are ones you won't use and when you like one, odds are you'll get a better one very soon, given how short the game is. Which is another negative. In a RPG with lots of gear and add-ons, you'll be swapping out this stuff a lot because the game has loot for a game twice the length of Stick of Truth. There could have been many more side-quests and some of them could be longer than they were. Were they thinking of a sequel when they made this game and purposely didn't add more content? To be fair after 17 seasons there may not be more new stuff to mine, but also to be fair, the kids dressing up and playing fantasy warfare and having to deal with a government conspiracy is comfortable, safe themes to use in what is the definitive South Park game. In general, yes, it's a South Park game and you can play through each of the four classes and try out different weapon/costume/add-on options for variety on those play throughs, but as a RPG, yes, naysayers, it's just too dang short to get the best score from me.

Another negative is just how much naughtiness is in the game. Yes, it's a hallmark of the series but there are moments in this game that will disgust you in their attempt to try and get you to laugh like a fourth grader. Poo and sex and **** may fascinate Parker and Stone but some of us adults (it's rated Mature) don't think using bloody tampons as weapons is funny. Is their a correlation between having a puerile sense of humor and being global warming deniers?

Also, while the game is "meta" in that it's a game and the kids are playing a fantasy game within the ame, the "meta" part also doesn't sustain itself. When the kids are fighting each other, it's clear that it is "pretend" but when you're actually having to fight real enemies it doesn't make a lot of sense, but I guess it's not supposed to. Of course the real joke of the game is the Stick of Truth is...just a stick. No spoiler warning needed, it's part of the joke. The kids are pretending, playing that it is real and of course that makes it real to them. As usual, they overdo it.

Yes, a great game that needs DLC to add a few more quests and needed adult supervision when being made, but all in all, a laugh-fest throughout with great dialogue, interesting locales and weapons and costumes and I'll be playing as the Jew next because the humor will only be more-so.

Come on down and meet some friends of mine.
  4. Jun 28, 2014
    This is honestly one of the most enjoyable games I have ever played, I cant remember the last time a game has entertained me so much. It satisfied me as a fan of RPGs, South Park, and Video Games in general. Everything is done exceptionally well and has actually made laugh in more than just my mind. Its very fun exploring the town of south park and I loved the 8-bit over world of Canada.This is honestly one of the most enjoyable games I have ever played, I cant remember the last time a game has entertained me so much. It satisfied me as a fan of RPGs, South Park, and Video Games in general. Everything is done exceptionally well and has actually made laugh in more than just my mind. Its very fun exploring the town of south park and I loved the 8-bit over world of Canada. The combat is extremely enjoyable, I am a fan of action-RPGs but I wouldnt want the combat any different from the use of Turn base that they have put into this game, Its one of the best uses of Turn based and satisfies me as someone who prefers action over turn based. The characters, the story, the dialogue, the references, etc. I am sucked into the game and feel it very hard to leave. I never expected, even with People saying that it was great...That it would be this good. One of the best games I have ever played, and as A long time Gamer since the 90s I think that says alot. GOTY worthy, games like Destiny will be big competitors this fall but so far this game is definitely GOTY worthy had it been released in 2013, I would have deemed it GOTY over GTA V. Expand
  5. Aug 3, 2014
    Predictable as a South Park RPG, but amazingly creative compared to all other RPGs. The jokes are in the game design as well as in the story, and the series content is used imaginatively. The 10 hour length is less than half of other RPG main questlines, but the time is filled with pretty intense and varied entertainment. One less amazing thing is that it mainly aims for fun, there is noPredictable as a South Park RPG, but amazingly creative compared to all other RPGs. The jokes are in the game design as well as in the story, and the series content is used imaginatively. The 10 hour length is less than half of other RPG main questlines, but the time is filled with pretty intense and varied entertainment. One less amazing thing is that it mainly aims for fun, there is no sense of real awe and no insight gained from playing the game. Casual gamers might find more value in Skyrim or Deus Ex: Human Revolution, but for those who have had enough of clichés and tropes, this game mixes things up and makes impressively good use of RPG references. If you care about quality rather than quantity, and about fun rather than gritty realism, there's no RPG to match South Park: Stick of Truth. Expand
  6. Sep 5, 2014
    This game made me laugh out loud on more occasions than I can count - and the gameplay is pretty amazing as well. I played a mage on my first playthrough, and I plan to play a "jew" on my second. This game has the same irreverence as the show, so if you love the show, you will love this game - if you hate South Park, then you will probably hate this game. This game was impeccably done andThis game made me laugh out loud on more occasions than I can count - and the gameplay is pretty amazing as well. I played a mage on my first playthrough, and I plan to play a "jew" on my second. This game has the same irreverence as the show, so if you love the show, you will love this game - if you hate South Park, then you will probably hate this game. This game was impeccably done and I hope we see more releases like this in the future. To all of the developers and publishers releasing janky, unfinished games: THIS is how it's done. Expand
  7. Jun 30, 2014
    Awesome cut scenes no denying that, some funny stuff. Wasn't to big on the gameplay. Would have been great on the 3DS. 32 more characters, mmmhmm yep.
  8. Oct 11, 2014
    It felt more like a PSN game. For a retail game, it felt incomplete. A HUGE flaw in the game is that you can't go back and complete everything in the game once you already passed certain parts. There are actually quests/missions you can't do once you beat the story mode. What game does that?!

I could write paragraphs on the cons and pros... but just know this. The game is probably worth about $10 (relative to the amount of content). But it is worth more just because it is a fun game. It is hard to put value on the amount of content in video games. I mean Rainbow Moon was $15 and has well over 100 hours of gameplay and content. Meanwhile, Uncharted is $60 and has about 10 hours of content.
  9. Nov 27, 2014
    Only play this game if you are a fan of the show. It is the only way to laugh so hard you fear for your life. Trey and Matt wrote the story and did the voices. It is a South Park episode come to life.
    They took the best of the RPG game world and put it in South Park. Smash stuff to find things, cast magic spells, and gain experience.
    The storyline is great as well and lets you create
    The storyline is great as well and lets you create your own SP character with lots of options.

The only reason I give it a 9 and not a 10 is because if you aren't a fan you will be lost.
  10. Mar 30, 2014
    Fantastic cut scenes if you put them all together its like watching an hour long episode...

I beat the game in around 8 hours....but i can imagine if you speed run this game you could easily beat it in under an hour because for you see there are only 20 main story missions. The side missions are entertaining but short and theres only a few of them. I hate dissing this game because i know trey and matt worked insanely hard on its content but regardless its still kind of a bust.

Basically the price is simple unacceptable for the length of the game. They created a game that is essentially 1/4th of what it should be.

No replay value and the price is way to high.
  11. Oct 12, 2014
    GOOD: Great and over the top storyline; Hilarious characters, story, and references to the show(will make you laugh out loud); Feels like you are playing an interactive season of the show; Art design makes it look like you are in the show; Well voice acted; Open world were you can explore, pick up items, find side quests, and get collectables; Can collect friends, loot, and chinpokomonGOOD: Great and over the top storyline; Hilarious characters, story, and references to the show(will make you laugh out loud); Feels like you are playing an interactive season of the show; Art design makes it look like you are in the show; Well voice acted; Open world were you can explore, pick up items, find side quests, and get collectables; Can collect friends, loot, and chinpokomon toys; Cool turn-based combat system that requires good timing to complete the move; The four classes-Warrior, Mage, Thief, and Jew-are all fantastic and have their own unique attacks and none of them suck; The Jew class is a South Park exclusive class and you must try it(but the Thief is my personal favorite); Has RPG elements like leveling up your class towards what powers you like to use, earning perks when getting twitter friends, and making choices like should I side with Kyle or Cartman; Plenty of replay ability with the different choices and classes; Variations of enemies to fight like Cartman's or Kyle's factions, aliens, Nazi zombies, wild animals, etc.; All of the weapons have a use and purpose(if someone is riposting your melee attacks, you can use your ranged weapon or a power; Awesome boss battles; Has summons of where if you want to pass through this fight with no problem and each summon can only be used once per day and not on bosses; Can use magic powers where you fart in different ways; The people you summon are Jesus Christ, Mr. Lu Kim, Mr. Hankey, and Mr. Slave and all of the summons are funny and you earn them by completing their side quest; Plenty of side missions like getting rid of the homeless people, playing hide n' seek with the kindergarteners, hunting down ManBearPig, and so much more; The buddies that can play beside you-Butters, Kenny, Jimmy, Stan, Cartman, and Kyle-have unique attacks and abilities and none of them are useless; My personal favorites are Cartman, Kyle, and Butters because, Cartman can fart out is huge fire and a powerful cuss cannon of lightning, Kyle has the "KICK THE BABY" attack that helped me through boss battles, and Butters can heal you with a touch and the "Professor Chaos" ability that is powerful; Fake twitter where your friends make posts, you access your inventory and modify weapons, you level up, look at your quests, look at the map, look at the collectables you have gotten, and look at available party members

BAD: Pretty easy even on the hardest difficulty; Incredibly easy to get money and all the stuff you buy is super cheap; There are some missing locations and buildings like Ike's room in Kyle's house, The South Park Mall, etc.(hopefully all accessible in a possible expansion or sequel); Some of the combat requires a one-button quick time event(unlike the regular combat where there are many buttons to press); Tutorials for spell casting took forever to complete because, it required perfect frequency whereas when you use it in exploring the frequency didn't have to be perfect

FINAL VERDICT: South Park: The Stick of Truth earns a 9/10. This game must be owned by all fans of the show and by the end I just wanted more. It is worth every penny of it's full retail price and is an ALL TIME LEGEND. Get it now if you're a fan and if not, watch a few seasons, and buy it.
  12. Jul 9, 2014
    the person who vote for one vote. You who ever vote that number don't get it on pc if you gonna chuck a nacky. what wrong with people that do that really I don't know why it does annoy me so I don't do it.
  13. Oct 24, 2014
    With brilliant humor, enjoyable combat, and endless references to it's source material, South Park The Stick Of Truth is guaranteed fun for fans and gamers of any mature age.
  14. Nov 30, 2014
    South Park RPG is definitely one of the funniest, AND fun games I've ever played. If you're a fan of the TV show, CHECK THIS GAME OUT NOW! Easy for beginners to video games to pick up and play. I'm a 28 year vet of gaming and I loved it. A true gem! The story is a bit short for my liking, but the game has 4 job classes to replay as. That being said, it has good replay value.
  15. Dec 23, 2014
    South Park Stick of Truth is by far the most entertaining game I have ever played. Have always been a huge fan of South Park, so the level of craziness and way out topics were not new to me. This game is definitely not for anyone that is easily offended. Every moment in the game feels like an actual episode of South Park. Well done Matt and Trey you have delivered.
  16. Aug 17, 2014
    Hilarious, as good as any episode, and the best game ever made from a TV show, book, or movie. SCORE 90/100.

Also, only game I know where you can play a Jew, and be a total ass-kicking badass along the way. Only drawback is that it's a bit too short. I want more, lots more. Really needs to be $30 instead of $60, and then sale prices from there. It's a really solid JRPG at its

It's a really solid JRPG at its core, with solid 2-member party mechanics, deep enough upgrade system, good map, small puzzles in the environment, and a pretty cool and funny story. Better gameplay than a recently released and good JRPG (Child of Light) and really reminded me of some old Final Fantasy fun.
  17. Mar 5, 2014
    Brilliant game, extremely funny - combat is alright too. Every South Park fan will absolutely love this game; the references to specific SP episodes are hilarious and very common.
  18. Mar 7, 2014
    For a fan of south park like me, this game is absolutely awesome!
    A RPG game with the tematic of south park was perfect, and the fact that references to skyrim was very funny. A of the best game of this year!
  19. Mar 7, 2014
    Fun game willing to play through again, feels like a very long episode of south park, a bit more raunchy but hey when you buy a south park game what else would you expect. It really feels like your watching the show, but playing in it as well. Exceeds all expectation.
  20. Mar 12, 2014
    If you love South Park, you will love this game.
    It's short, easy, but who cares.
    My wife couldn't understand how I paid 60 bucks for a three day game but she doesn't watch South Park. I tried to find everything and complete every mission, ended up getting about 20 hours out of it. Funny, disgusting, wrong, South Park. This may be the creators Magnum Opus, they just need to add some
    If you love South Park, you will love this game.
    It's short, easy, but who cares.
    Funny, disgusting, wrong, South Park.
    This may be the creators Magnum Opus, they just need to add some expansions.
    And by the way, Cartman's special abilities come highly recommended. I cracked up every time I got to use them and I used a lot.
    I laughed at least 18 hours out of the 20 I played.
    I give it an eight because it cost 10 bucks to much for twenty hours of game play
  21. Jun 26, 2014
    Summing Mr. Slave while inside... Mr. Slave... need I say more? oh way, of course i do because there has to be a minimum of 150 characters per review, oh hey guess what, I'm there so i can stop this right now if i choose to, but I'll add one more comment on here before I go. I love this game, it reminds me of the old RPG's I used to play on my old NES. I love the turn style RPG gameSumming Mr. Slave while inside... Mr. Slave... need I say more? oh way, of course i do because there has to be a minimum of 150 characters per review, oh hey guess what, I'm there so i can stop this right now if i choose to, but I'll add one more comment on here before I go. I love this game, it reminds me of the old RPG's I used to play on my old NES. I love the turn style RPG game play. The storyline is absolutely comedic genius. the only downside i see to this game is it's short, however there is supposed to be DLC at some point, i don't know when, but i hope it's relatively soon because i want more! If you're looking for a good laugh at some dirty crude humor, this game's for you. Expand
  22. Mar 4, 2014
    I wont deny there's a few bugs (Though nothing that shouldn't be squashed by a patch or two) but the most important part is that it has all a game requires: It is fun and addictive. Give it a try!
  23. Mar 5, 2014
    I've scoured the negative reviews so far and I can't make sense of what people don't like about it. Some say it's too short, but not if you play on hardcore. Some idiot posted in here saying that the controls are too difficult on PC - then get a controller. This game is OUTSTANDING.
  24. Mar 12, 2014
    i have never been a huge fan of RPG style games... untill now.... even though the combat system is repetitive and boring... as all RPG games are for my personal taste... but everything this game does works... if your not a fan of the show... you may not be that impressed.... but any fan of this show will get what they expect... i did...
  25. May 5, 2014
    overall, its fun and feels like the show. but gets very boring fast. Very short game and leaves nothing to do after beating it. One of those games where its better to rent than to buy it to only trade it in a week later for half its value. there are alot of things that could have been done to keep the game going like multiplayer, being able to recruit other children and wage war with otheroverall, its fun and feels like the show. but gets very boring fast. Very short game and leaves nothing to do after beating it. One of those games where its better to rent than to buy it to only trade it in a week later for half its value. there are alot of things that could have been done to keep the game going like multiplayer, being able to recruit other children and wage war with other factions (would be never ending at that point), instead of just being left with the only option is to keep running around farting on people or restart it over Expand
  26. Mar 10, 2014
    An incredible surprise. With all the problems with its release, I was certain this game was not going to be good; but decided to give it a chance since I love the show and its characters. Again, what an incredible surprise. It's like a huge episode, filled with all the South Park greatness we all love. The dialogues are hysterical, and I don't remember the last time a game made me laugh soAn incredible surprise. With all the problems with its release, I was certain this game was not going to be good; but decided to give it a chance since I love the show and its characters. Again, what an incredible surprise. It's like a huge episode, filled with all the South Park greatness we all love. The dialogues are hysterical, and I don't remember the last time a game made me laugh so hard. All that aside, the actual game is incredible! Like an old school RPG (simple, yes, but extremely enjoyable), with a lot of stuff to do. A bit short, I would say, but it delivers solid 15 hours of enjoyment. By the end South Park the Stick of Truth made me think about how hard Square-Enix has been trying all these years to deliver a solid RPG. You don't have to go far, you don't have to reinvent the genre. Just give what players want. Can't wait for a sequel, DLC, whatever. Just give me more, please. Expand
  27. Apr 22, 2014
    Trey and Matt did it again. With a hefty help from Obsidian, they attack one's diaphragm with a hurricane of crude jokes delivered by pretty much everyone who means anything in the South Park universe. Yes, the combat mechanics does not leap beyond Paper Mario and the game interface is a bit too crude (although to a great extent by design). Admittedly, these are all nitpicks so that ITrey and Matt did it again. With a hefty help from Obsidian, they attack one's diaphragm with a hurricane of crude jokes delivered by pretty much everyone who means anything in the South Park universe. Yes, the combat mechanics does not leap beyond Paper Mario and the game interface is a bit too crude (although to a great extent by design). Admittedly, these are all nitpicks so that I don't only sing praise. But all in all I wished that the game would just go on and on. All components click in place: be it writing, gameplay, visuals, audio and quest design. A fan of the franchise could have hardly wish for anything more true-to-the-source. Expand
  28. Mar 16, 2014
    There is one criteria for a good game: if you finish it, then it's probably good. This one I did finish. It's fun, it's well made, has some really good jokes. For those who love South Park I would recommend for the humor.
  29. Mar 8, 2014
    The Stick of Truth is easily one of the funniest games I've played in a long time. It's also one of the best licensed game ever created. The artwork is beautiful and the gameplay works pretty well all things considered. My biggest issue would be the length. I literally did everything there was to do in just under 13 hours. Despite that, it's a very fun and rewarding game. Something thatThe Stick of Truth is easily one of the funniest games I've played in a long time. It's also one of the best licensed game ever created. The artwork is beautiful and the gameplay works pretty well all things considered. My biggest issue would be the length. I literally did everything there was to do in just under 13 hours. Despite that, it's a very fun and rewarding game. Something that would be perfect to expand upon! Expand
  30. Mar 14, 2014
    One of the funniest, most entertaining games i have played in a long time, it is the equivalent of playing/watching a 14 hour South Park episode and us fans know how awesome that is.

1. Apr 23, 2014
    In the end, though, what really carries The Stick of Truth along is its innocence, something that may surprise people who have read the stories about Euro censorship but is unlikely to come as a shock to fans of the show itself, which has always offset its raunchiness with an odd sweetness. This is, simply put, pleasant to play.
  2. Apr 7, 2014
    Shameless, hilarious and surprisingly complex - an essential purchase for RPG and show fans. [May 2014, p.64]
  3. Apr 6, 2014
    The best South Park game to date (not that that's saying much) and manages to hold up both in terms of RPG mechanics and comedy value. [Issue#242, p.67]