8.0

1. Feb 10, 2013
    Spec Ops: The Line is a fantastic game. The third person mechanics are relatively antiquated but the combat is still fun and satisfying. The helicopter sequences (which usually drag in other action games) are particularly fun and impressive. What elevates Spec Ops far above the usual shooter are it's plot, atmosphere and location. Firstly, the ruined Dubai that hosts the game is absolutelySpec Ops: The Line is a fantastic game. The third person mechanics are relatively antiquated but the combat is still fun and satisfying. The helicopter sequences (which usually drag in other action games) are particularly fun and impressive. What elevates Spec Ops far above the usual shooter are it's plot, atmosphere and location. Firstly, the ruined Dubai that hosts the game is absolutely brilliant. It's chasms, skyscrapers and sandstorms impress immensely and help further the gulf between Spec Ops and other shooters. The plot is wonderfully written and acted, giving you a very compelling reason to push on through the game. I'd like to get more into why the plot is great but I don't want to ruin things with spoilers. I will tell you this, though. Spec Ops: The Line is as close to 'profound' as a military shooter has ever come. It's conclusion had me reeling and thinking about it for hours afterwards. Due to it's inscrutable depths, Spec Ops is a game that begs to be replayed and re-experienced. Excellent stuff! Expand
  2. Aug 1, 2012
    This game was okay. The controls were pretty good. It got repetitive though and started putting me to sleep half way though. I liked the twist ending though. The problem is that you have to keep trudging along to the very end to finally know whats going on in the game. I'm all for that except the journey to get there was really boring in my opinion. It started off strong, but then itThis game was okay. The controls were pretty good. It got repetitive though and started putting me to sleep half way though. I liked the twist ending though. The problem is that you have to keep trudging along to the very end to finally know whats going on in the game. I'm all for that except the journey to get there was really boring in my opinion. It started off strong, but then it started getting repetitive. Expand
  3. Sep 1, 2013
    Spec Ops: The Line is a unique game, a great game but makes some big shortfalls to make it the game that everyone seems to rave about.
    You play as Captain Martin Walker, the leader of a small reconnaissance team sent into a war torn Dubai to find and rescue any surviving members of the 33rd (a group of soldiers) and bring home a man of great importance, Colonel John Konrad, head of the 33rd. Upon arriving in Dubai you are attacked by US soldiers who are quickly revealed to be the 33rd and so have to battle your way to Konrad as you believe he has gone corrupt and wishes to hold Dubai under his rule. However after putting you through many morally questionable circumstances you begin to wonder if what you are seeing is what is actually happening.
    Spec Ops: The Line is a middle finger to modern military shooters, there is no hero and some parts of the story are enough to make you stop playing because they question your humanity to such a level it becomes difficult to play.
    The game also looks and plays pretty good, but the gem is in the story with this one. The biggest problems are that if you have seen 'Apocalypse Now' or enough war films you can manage to piece together the story together pretty easily, nearly every event in the game has been seen before, it's just stringing them together in this way that makes it special.
  4. Dec 18, 2013
    This game surprised me. I didn't expect it to be this good. The graphics are very good, the controls fluid and it was the dark story that kept me going. The game is pretty short though and I personally didn't like the ending because it was predictable. But that's just me.
  5. Sep 14, 2013
    A game that mocks "wars against wars", but meanwhile is an "on-rail shooter against on-rail shooters". The actual gameplay is like a seven hour long shooting gallery. Some parts are spectacular and feel like you're being taken on a really well designed amusement park ride about war.. like a museum for a war where you walk through the actual battlefield and see the terrible consequences atA game that mocks "wars against wars", but meanwhile is an "on-rail shooter against on-rail shooters". The actual gameplay is like a seven hour long shooting gallery. Some parts are spectacular and feel like you're being taken on a really well designed amusement park ride about war.. like a museum for a war where you walk through the actual battlefield and see the terrible consequences at the same time. I was surprised how well-made the effects were, and how varied the settings in Dubai. This is not a desert-game. You'll be taken through some inspired scenes. But always with the on-rail shooter at the core of the game, and all the innovation and reasons for playing it strewn on top, superficially. It could have been revolutionizing if only the game design was as playfully subversive as the story and the art. If you're still intrigued, I recommend the game. But after the playthrough, you can start to come up with all the left-out gameplay elements that could have lifted the entire game to the level of the story/concept. Expand
  6. Jul 27, 2012
    In my honest opinion, one of 2012's best surprises. I just can't believe how much fun this game actually is. Great graphics, interesting atmosphere, tight gameplay, PHENOMENAL voice acting (main character's voice is actually the same guy who plays Uncharted's Nathan Drake), awesome story. I was not quite aware of this title until very recently and, after watching a couple of videos,In my honest opinion, one of 2012's best surprises. I just can't believe how much fun this game actually is. Great graphics, interesting atmosphere, tight gameplay, PHENOMENAL voice acting (main character's voice is actually the same guy who plays Uncharted's Nathan Drake), awesome story. I was not quite aware of this title until very recently and, after watching a couple of videos, finally decided to give it a chance. Great, great game. MUST NOT BE MISSED. Expand
  7. Oct 5, 2013
    Spec Ops: The Line is not just another shooter, it tells a deep story and puts you in situations that no human being should endure. The gameplay is some of the best ive ever seen in a 3rd-Person-Shooter. The multiplayer is solid, the graphics are good. This game was really good that i had to get the plantinum for it.
  8. Mar 3, 2014
    Where to start? This is really decent 3rd person shooter with pretty sweet graphics and story which is not really good but not also worst than other shooters. Ideally this game should get 7 or 8, but there is too much bad things in it which are not big but enough to partly spoil the game. First, if you don't have party to play and you play alone you will die mostly saving your stupid AIWhere to start? This is really decent 3rd person shooter with pretty sweet graphics and story which is not really good but not also worst than other shooters. Ideally this game should get 7 or 8, but there is too much bad things in it which are not big but enough to partly spoil the game. First, if you don't have party to play and you play alone you will die mostly saving your stupid AI buddies because they rush ahead and die frequently. And you can't avoid it because if you not save them mission failed. Further, there is really long loading time after each death which is really annoying if you play on some hard settings. Some strange Controls are also bad like standing up from cover and start running. This thing is really glitchy. This could be really awesome game, but with all that only mediocre! Expand
  9. Nov 14, 2013
    Graphics: Nice looking graphics, but mostly the lighting and sand stand out. Character models are decent but could look more lifelike. 9.

Sound: Voice acting is average; nothing really stands out theme wise except the anthem on the title screen. Gun sounds are normal. 7.5. Gameplay: The game is a linear experience but actually really fun. It’s been a while since I’ve played a

Gameplay: The game is a linear experience but actually really fun. It’s been a while since I’ve played a military shooter this good, especially with Socom 4 failing to deliver. Spec ops the line is probably the most underrated game released last year. The game’s campaign is an excellent experience, some of the most shocking experiences. Scripted events are included in this game but never overdone, choices play a part even though none really have a major impact until the end, and they are still tough choices to make. Spec Ops the line is an excellent third person experience that is worth playing through at least once. The multiplayer on the other hand is a horrible experience, laggy and just unplayable. The multiplayer was said to be outsourced, and they really should have never added it at all. 8.5.

Story: One of the best military experiences in a while. The game doesn’t copy paste you’re average war hero story out to save the world even though it may seem that it may be going in that direction. Choices in the game that is shocking. A plot twist that is just excellently done with things that you may only notice during a second playthrough. 10.

Replay Value: The game doesn’t have much replay value, because the campaign is still short clocking about 6 hours. If you’re going for all the achieve/trophies it could probably be done in 11 hours. The multiplayer is just too laggy and unplayable, and the multiplayer experience overall is just plain bad. With that said give this game at least a playthrough, but if you plan to make this game a 20 hour experience, it probably won’t last anywhere near that. 7.

Overall Score: 8.4 out of 10.
  10. Nov 4, 2012
    I have never liked any of the Call of Duty games, I just don't care for military shooters but I love Spec Ops the line. The graphics are the best I've ever seen in this type of game, the story moves at a good pace( the story is excellent), the action is fast paced, and the controls are perfect. Once I began playing this game I couldn't stop. Of course with any game there are flaws and thisI have never liked any of the Call of Duty games, I just don't care for military shooters but I love Spec Ops the line. The graphics are the best I've ever seen in this type of game, the story moves at a good pace( the story is excellent), the action is fast paced, and the controls are perfect. Once I began playing this game I couldn't stop. Of course with any game there are flaws and this one is no exception, the frame-rate stutters during heavy gunfights, unbalanced A.I., and long load times. Its not enough to break the enjoyment but it does lower my score. This game definitely deserves to be played by anyone who enjoys FPS as well as anyone who enjoys great war stories. Check it out. Expand
  11. Jan 2, 2013
    Spec Ops: The Line is a great game, you can't deny that. I just wish it was longer, it's quite short, but still, I thought it was amazing, quite underrated if you asked me, one of the best game this gen. Yes, it is that good, please buy it as soon as possible.
  12. Jul 9, 2012
    Without naming names, I saw one user claim that The Line's regaling campaign was worthy of a book. It's called The Heart of Darkness, written by one Joseph Conrad. Not that taking inspiration from cult novella is a particularly bad thing, see Apocalypse Now, and credit should definitely be placed at the feet of the writers for applying such a chilling and remarkable inspiration to such aWithout naming names, I saw one user claim that The Line's regaling campaign was worthy of a book. It's called The Heart of Darkness, written by one Joseph Conrad. Not that taking inspiration from cult novella is a particularly bad thing, see Apocalypse Now, and credit should definitely be placed at the feet of the writers for applying such a chilling and remarkable inspiration to such a striking and contemporary setting. But plot aside, I'm afraid this isn't anything we haven't already seen done a few dozen times before. Cover based shooter with overt and charismatic squad mates led by Nathan Drake in disguise, his trademark run of bad luck running as a real tour de force behind much of the action. Should that take your fancy, you'll probably be happy to know it comes with basic competitive components such as team death match and headset support. So unfortunately, it's nothing more than an abnormally interesting third person shooter. I won't tell you to disregard it, but I won't tell you to waste your money on it. Expand
  13. Jul 9, 2012
    spec-ops THE LINE. has a great if slightly short main campaign the story is good and the characters are good enough that you grow to actually care when they are out of action or down in a fight.
    the graphics are good depending if you like the color filters vibrant,fetches out orange in the sand dunes , and the other settings use more muddy brown feel. vibrant gives the best over-all look . the graphics do seem much improved from the demo. it took me just over 5hrs-30 on hard with 70% of colectables . but its replayable with the range of weapons and fubar (uber-hard) difficulty is a real challenge. multi-player on the other hand is very average and you get a lot of disconnections due to the host leaving and no host migration. otherwise fun but average stuff. theres plenty of weapons but they dont feel or look anywere as detailed as ghost recons weapons. no real weapon customisation either. just class character customisation. over-all good story would prefer a longer solo game than added multi-player. there is scope for a sequel.
  14. Sep 9, 2014
    This game brilliantly tricks us FPS/3PS fans into playing a smarter game.

This game brilliantly tricks us FPS/3PS fans into playing a smarter game.

Spec Ops: The Line instantly throws you into fun, and exciting more of the game action. Easy to pick-up and fun to play. From there it introduces you to team tactical play and protecting and utilising your team as if they were real players. Then deceptively it begins to lay on the incredible plot, starting with simple environment survival, and mystery, and then evolving into an engrossing and thrilling plot that self admittedly borrows from a great novel.

I found myself absolutely loving this game. I found the team tactical elements more fun and enjoyable to use than the Battlefield series, and I found the duck and cover shooting as good as the rest of them.

I strongly recommend Spec Ops: The Line to anyone that even remotely enjoys FPS and 3PS games. For me it is one of the best in recent history, and it really stays with you afterwards.
  15. Aug 26, 2012
    If you finish Spec Ops: The Line without learning anything about yourself; without ever feeling genuine anger, sadness, or regret; without truly examining where the line is drawn between right and wrong; then you played it wrong.
  16. Feb 20, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The mission has been compromised, although that is on what you believe in until you kill innocent people (forgot how many) then later begin to blame it on the man you, yourself tried to search for, now wanting what he calls to be the right thing such as justice to take him down. Making yourself face many unnecessary decisions just wanting to be the hero as what you thought John Konrad (man you try to find) to be. He also wanted to be a hero trying to evacuate the civilians but ended in critical failure having him lose so many lives, he then killed himself for the choices he made. Walker (character you play as) was now going through the issues Konrad had to face which was choice that should have been avoided not made, so for Walker his consequences were the lost of his squad, many more civilians, and US troops.

In the end when you reach John Konrad you find him dead, long before delta squad arrived you could decide to deny it and live or die just like Konrad. If you decided to live then you begin to call for an evacuation, later on Falcon One arrives should you; kill them, leave, or die fighting them. Mine was die fighting since I saw it to be the "best" choice, doesn't mean it is however.

Overall I gave the game a 9! Did not add any multiplayer since I did not have the want to play it, also it was empty (dead) when I tried to play some of it. I highly recommend for those who care to experience something more dreaded in a singleplayer game!
  17. Aug 7, 2012
    A tight third person shooter that does little in the way of gameplay to innovate. This being said it is still fun, and is a tough game to finish on the two harder difficulties. Intuitive controls make the game a pleasure to play albeit fairly simple with basic squad commands and fairly linear progression.

The real draw of this game is its story line. Though it does have its share of

The real draw of this game is its story line. Though it does have its share of "OOH-RAH! Semper-fi" gung-ho heroism and dialogue to match it is mostly a fairly thought provocative game, something rare in a shooter. At the worst bits you'll cringe when one of the characters says something like "Just be thankful for the extra target practise." But at it's best it boast a stunning story line full of twists and will have you questioning your own morality.
  18. Jul 8, 2012
    Incredible storyline, the Apocalypse Now for the next generation. However, I feel that I've already spoken too much. Gameplay is fantastic and a great story. Do not miss this game. However, one major gripe I had for the whole game was the controls. A game should be fun, the difficulty from the challenge on completing the game and each chapter. A game's challenge should not come from theIncredible storyline, the Apocalypse Now for the next generation. However, I feel that I've already spoken too much. Gameplay is fantastic and a great story. Do not miss this game. However, one major gripe I had for the whole game was the controls. A game should be fun, the difficulty from the challenge on completing the game and each chapter. A game's challenge should not come from the cumbersome Console controls which Spec Ops The Line is from. Instead of life and death struggles, you'll have controlitis struggles, because your very life depends on whether you double clicked the same key for various commands. I understand Consoles have limited buttons, but PCs do not. Once again, Developers fail to polish what is probably one of the better games released in 2012. And for that, what would have been a perfect 10 is now an 8.

>Edit< While reviewing this, I made an error and reviewed the PS3 version instead of the PC version. However, did not realize that the PS3 was separated from the PC review. Moreover, I left the PS3 Review as is, without properly ranking it or reviewing it. My mistake. My Score has always been an 8 and not a Zero.
  19. Jun 28, 2012
    Without spoiling anything for the Singleplayer campaign the storyline is worthy of a book. I loved it from the first second to the very last. There are not many bugs in this game either the biggest is slow loading textures but that's alright since for the most part this game is a graphical beauty. For the multiplayer side of things it would have had alot more potential if they expanded itWithout spoiling anything for the Singleplayer campaign the storyline is worthy of a book. I loved it from the first second to the very last. There are not many bugs in this game either the biggest is slow loading textures but that's alright since for the most part this game is a graphical beauty. For the multiplayer side of things it would have had alot more potential if they expanded it to more than just 8 players in total. The maps are way to big and with the cover system players will camp thus making it seem like a ghost town at times. Unfortunately the same could be said about the gamemodes as there is really nothing special offered here and the objective modes just don't work because of the lack of players. However there is surprisingly alot of things you can unlock to keep you coming back for more. I absolutely love the character customization, armor system, perk system, gun play, huge amount of weapons and the environmental aspects to the online play. Great game by 2k and I hope they produce a sequel. Expand
  20. Jun 28, 2012
    I was highly anticipating spec ops the line, after getting pushed back a couple years i was finally able to pick my copy up and the game proved too define "short and sweet" to say the least. I put emphasis on "short" more so than sweet because the games campaign played on the hardest setting lasted about 6 hours (the "33rd" setting , before unlocking the hardest setting "fubar"orI was highly anticipating spec ops the line, after getting pushed back a couple years i was finally able to pick my copy up and the game proved too define "short and sweet" to say the least. I put emphasis on "short" more so than sweet because the games campaign played on the hardest setting lasted about 6 hours (the "33rd" setting , before unlocking the hardest setting "fubar"or :insanity). The campaign consists of 15 short chapters and an epilogue which is hardly worth mentioning , the check points seemed to have no purpose other than the purpose of having them, short chapters.. I will get back into "short" in a bit but as far as the game itself, well it was pretty solid for the most part and i will break it down..
    Graphics= were sometimes stunning, no game breaking visuals by way of technical elements but the scenery which this game takes place can be a very pretty one, blending some eye popping colors along w/ nice set pieces such as a huge fish tank palace which even the floor is built w/ glass water and fish were one which were very fun for me to look at but at the same time in this day and age texture blurs of faces , yes faces, have no place in gaming 2012.. Its a slap to the face of the pretty set pieces , designed w/ care just to have blurred out faces, guns etc to be placed right in front of them..So there were some great visuals and then there were some wtf was that visuals but the latter didnt drown out the truely great designs, just made one think what yager was doing with all this extra time, obviously they didnt spend in the campaign dept..

Sound = was/is prob one of the highlights of this game, w/ smart guitar rifts to perfectly executed tunes which fit the theme/mood/chapter.. It was done very well, the lip syncing was decent and voices were top notch.

Gameplay = sometimes a developers can bring some fresh, bold ideas making an exp truly unique but this is where yager dropped the ball, THE SAND , they had something really special but didnt pursue it, just inserted a few scenes which were truly awesome and original and left them on the cutting floor it seems.. 3rd party shooter mechanics are somewhat like mass effect but also uncharted, i believe rolling or jumping is a must when grenades are a big part of the enemies offensive / defensive tactics, especially when the controls can feel very clumsy at times wanting to vault but only to stand out of cover to take an instant bullet of death to the head.. The switch cover/get out of cover, vault will frustrate at some point of the game, taking away the true feeling of "control" over walker..

Story = yes it was decent, but during the loading screens i would notice text which would read "do you feel like a hero" and "how many americans did you kill today" and this was a bit much after seeing it a 6th or 7th time, YES YAGER I GET IT, i am playing the game, i know what is unfolding before me..I dont want to spoil the game but a few of these texts were going a bit far, no not story dialogue, the text while waiting for the screen to load.. Some were far more offensive than what was going on in the game, the story and dialogue were almost original and did have some great dialogue between walker , adams and lugo (his comrades) and the story was a very solid one, but again as i mentioned w/ certain gameplay mechanics , they seemed to drop the ball when the score was clearly in their favor..

MP = multiplayer is very lackluster and almost spot on with the beta i played many many many months ago... unpolished and had potential.

END RESULT, i am tired of paying full price for a game which will last less than a half a day to finish BUT this one is worth playing and beating so rent it or wait until its used, play it beat it and take it back..
    I usually dont suggest such practices but im tired of the gaming industries practice of giving us the same old same old but for the price of a months phone bill.. This is worth playing, worth owning it is not but it couldve been.. Yager what have you guys been doing for the past couple years? Down scaling the campaign?,lol..Im not a big fan of being forced to put on highest setting only to get more than a few hours out of the campaign (killlzone 3 guilty as charged).. I tried to do just that after knowing the short length of this campaign but im only fooling myself, the game lasts longer only due to the more continues and its not because its more "challenging" its because more "mystery" bullets are on a string to the ones head.. With a day and age which free games are becoming not just "trendy" but also having more content as well as quality, well i must question buying retail unless its truely a no brainer, nut in this gen you just never know until the game is in your console/p.c.
    Its seems Yager had nil faith in sales of spec ops the line, a tad more effort and this would be a solid game.
  21. Nov 10, 2013
    wow what a story line my god i am not gone spoil it but its amezing you play as walker voicet ase nolan north and your in dubai to shoot people that is something i dont get in this game you are saveing people while the only thing you do is shooting the shooting is fun not great but not bad you can give your squad commants and the time slows down when you make a headshot this are litle funwow what a story line my god i am not gone spoil it but its amezing you play as walker voicet ase nolan north and your in dubai to shoot people that is something i dont get in this game you are saveing people while the only thing you do is shooting the shooting is fun not great but not bad you can give your squad commants and the time slows down when you make a headshot this are litle fun things the game is pretty short around 6-7 hours than you got your mp witch is meh but it is the story that takes me the charecters its just amezing you have got to play this for the story Expand
  22. Aug 21, 2013
    I had seen the bad reviews for this game far more often than the good, and had low expectations for this game.
    Yes, it is another third person shooter, with generic mechanics, and it tries a squad commanding thing, which is fully functional, but is never really needed.
    Though the story, and the setting, is really what saves this game from the masses of Army of Two and Operation Raccoon City. It deals with heavy topics including Heroism, Trust, sanity, doing what's right etc. While the choices in the game are fairly limited and have no lasting impact, you still often have to stop and really think out your choice. The game's endings have a large impact on you and leave you stunned. (I have only played through once so far and do not know any other endings, but I'd assume they're of the same quality)
    Overall this is a brilliant narrative-driven game with breathtaking visuals and hard choices. For all those who complain about the generic mechanics and give it a 0, play it through fully and see for yourself why everyone else loves it.
  23. Oct 28, 2012
    Now, I don't usually give a 10 if the game isn't perfect or close to perfection, and this game is full of flaws, but I just feel like balancing out the average score, so here it is. It's a very haunting, visceral and real game. It's the most realistic game (in theming) I've ever played. Gameplay wise it's sub-par and generic, but that was the point. The point was to have overtly game-likeNow, I don't usually give a 10 if the game isn't perfect or close to perfection, and this game is full of flaws, but I just feel like balancing out the average score, so here it is. It's a very haunting, visceral and real game. It's the most realistic game (in theming) I've ever played. Gameplay wise it's sub-par and generic, but that was the point. The point was to have overtly game-like play, stocked with genericness and cheap deaths, pushed through the filter of a seriously grim and haunting story, to emphasize how disconnected modern war shooters are from the real thing. It's unfair to say that the game is bad because it has a bad multi-player. Come on, don't do that. Don't perpetuate the idea that all shooters need multi-player. Did BioShock need it to be better? Did Half-Life? Did System Shock 2? Exactly, Spec Ops: The Line is up there. Go watch Extra Credits video on it, you will understand. Expand
  24. Jun 26, 2012
    i really like this game, nice setting, about 3 hours in and no problem with hit detection like in max payne 3, gunplay is fast and the enemies flank, rush, or take cover, story is great,very graphic, sound is great with interesting music playing through single player, making you feel in the moment, head shot are amazing, controls kinda like gears but without a roll or dodge, but otherwisei really like this game, nice setting, about 3 hours in and no problem with hit detection like in max payne 3, gunplay is fast and the enemies flank, rush, or take cover, story is great,very graphic, sound is great with interesting music playing through single player, making you feel in the moment, head shot are amazing, controls kinda like gears but without a roll or dodge, but otherwise gameplay so far great, i have not been frustrated at all, awesome sand storms, and other sand tricks are cool too, i would rate this game 9 out of 10 graphics very good also btw Expand
  25. Jul 3, 2014
    Brave, daring, and dramatic Spec Ops: The Line is basically the antithesis of a CoD game when it comes to shooters. The only reason you buy Spec Ops is for the brilliant single-player experience, the guys at Yager should be commended for having the guts to show that in war there are no heroes, no winners, no glory. Technically the game works well as a third person cover based shooter withBrave, daring, and dramatic Spec Ops: The Line is basically the antithesis of a CoD game when it comes to shooters. The only reason you buy Spec Ops is for the brilliant single-player experience, the guys at Yager should be commended for having the guts to show that in war there are no heroes, no winners, no glory. Technically the game works well as a third person cover based shooter with the regular assortment of modern military weaponry and esthetically pleasing scenery and graphics. The game also features satisfying environmental hazards which can be used to annihilate the enemy in spectacular fashion, such as shooting out glass with a thousand tons of compacted sand behind it and watching it envelop the opposition. If The Line had a "mail it in" generic script like most other war shooters it would still be a competent game, but infact the script is an inspiring one with moral choices that alter the game and a narrative with twists and turns that would you expect from a great book. The Line explores the mental anguish of war and challenges every other game in the genre to step up their single-player story and make something REAL. The voice acting is top notch featuring Nolan North as the voice of main character Captian Martin Walker and the sound effects and soundtrack are superb featuring many Vietnam era inspired tracks such as Jimi Hendrix's rendition of All Along the Watchtower. Overall Spec Ops: The Line is a spectacularly visceral game that will have you questioning your decisions often, this game will make you think and feel in a way no shooter ever has - it's a shame more people experience it. If you own a PS3 or 360 and are not a completely emotionless sheep then you owe it to yourself to pick up a copy of this criminally under appretiated game. This should have been the game that pushed the war shooter genre in videogames forward, but unfortunately nobody noticed... will you? Expand
  26. Sep 1, 2013
    Beautiful art design+ Phenomenal acting
    + Good use of licensed soundtrack
    ( Jimmi Hendrix, The Black Angels and even a classical music piece ) + Very good story + A soul sucking experience that made me cross The Line '' - The cover system loves to piss you off sometimes during the final chapters - The difficulty jumps 200m high during the final chapters. F#$k YOU CHAPTER 14!!! )
    Beautiful art design+ Phenomenal acting
    + Good use of licensed soundtrack
    ( Jimmi Hendrix, The Black Angels and even a classical music piece )
    + Very good story
    + A soul sucking experience that made me cross The Line ''

- The cover system loves to piss you off sometimes during the final chapters
    - Too Short Took me 9 hours on Suicide Mission
  27. Jun 18, 2014
    Based on Hearts of Darkness, the novel of which Apocalypse Now was born, Spec Ops: The Line is a spectacular, story driven, third person, military shooter which exposes us to the horrors of war like no other game available today. Let down slightly by average graphics and short length. However the moral choices system warrants multiple play throughs 8/10
  28. Apr 10, 2013
    First things first, this game has some of the most mediocre gameplay of any shooter I've played in recent memory. Everything about it feels generic. The weapons feel like they have no weight to them, and it's honestly kind of hard to detect if you're even hitting your enemies with gun fire. As far as the story goes, it is very Apocalypse Now. Parts of it have been interesting exploring theFirst things first, this game has some of the most mediocre gameplay of any shooter I've played in recent memory. Everything about it feels generic. The weapons feel like they have no weight to them, and it's honestly kind of hard to detect if you're even hitting your enemies with gun fire. As far as the story goes, it is very Apocalypse Now. Parts of it have been interesting exploring the morality of war, but the writing just seems to fall flat and you don't end up really caring about the characters or the horrible situations they get themselves into. Expand
  29. Jan 19, 2013
    I have been tired of the all the military FPS' out there lately however this was on sale a while back for $20 so I picked it up anyway and through it in my bin of games that "i'll play eventually" thinking it would be mediocre at best. Boy was I wrong! this game is really good and not your typical FPS (and yes i know it's actully a 3rd person shooter :). The game has very well designedI have been tired of the all the military FPS' out there lately however this was on sale a while back for $20 so I picked it up anyway and through it in my bin of games that "i'll play eventually" thinking it would be mediocre at best. Boy was I wrong! this game is really good and not your typical FPS (and yes i know it's actully a 3rd person shooter :). The game has very well designed levels and an exceptional story, The gameplay is very solid, and just in general itis one of the better games I have played lately. Give this one a chance you won't regret it. It's a shame I don't thin this game sold well so we probably won't see a sequel, but I really hope I am wrong about that. Expand
  30. Mar 24, 2013
    Gameplay-wise, this is your typical third-person shooter. Story-wise, this is far from your typical third-person shooter, and that's a good thing. If you're looking for a depiction of modern war that's a bit different and probably a bit more accurate then look no further.
  31. Jun 30, 2012
    Wow, this game really achieved something unique... Can't quite put my finger on it, at first it felt like a ordinary shooter, and it is gameplaywise but the story is what makes it worth your money. At several points later in the game I was confused, but in a good way, haven't felt the same way since.... Well, Bioshock I suppose, it's truly a unique game in that aspect, it's not just aWow, this game really achieved something unique... Can't quite put my finger on it, at first it felt like a ordinary shooter, and it is gameplaywise but the story is what makes it worth your money. At several points later in the game I was confused, but in a good way, haven't felt the same way since.... Well, Bioshock I suppose, it's truly a unique game in that aspect, it's not just a generic war story, it's extreamly dark so sensitive gamers might wanna avoid this one... But take my word on this, it will even make the most hardened gamers feel unease at certain parts. Still, I do recommend this to all who can handle this kind of adult material, because the amazing use of colours and storytelling is really rare in games today, I've been wating for this game for years now and it was indeed worth the wait! Yager have really done a good job, although the multiplayer is pretty standard but once again, you ARE buying this game for the story, which you should. Goddamn, I really hope they make more games like this, this, people, is a real step towards much more mature stories, and I like it alot! I give it a 9/10, really deserving, great graphics, great sound/music, it's a really good buy for those who have nothing else to do this summer! Expand
  32. Jun 27, 2012
    When the dust settles (no pun intended) Spec Ops: The Line is one of those special games that surprise you as it progresses. Don't think that this is you average TPS military shooter, as it is FAR from that.
  33. Jun 28, 2013
    I believe that absolutely everything in this game was done deliberately. Everything from the slightly wonky cover mechanics to the beautifully layered story, everything in this game has a purpose, and that purpose is to show the player what they are doing with no sugar coating or softness. The absolutely sublime single player campaign works with the player on so many levels that it's hardI believe that absolutely everything in this game was done deliberately. Everything from the slightly wonky cover mechanics to the beautifully layered story, everything in this game has a purpose, and that purpose is to show the player what they are doing with no sugar coating or softness. The absolutely sublime single player campaign works with the player on so many levels that it's hard to describe without playing. This game is not for people who want to be happy. This game is for people who want a deep, well thought out and meaningful insight into shooters, and video game violence in general. If you can wrap your head around the story, then shrug and say "I'm gonna go play Manhunt now," seek help. This story will, hopefully, show you your actions on a silver platter, then remind you you had fun. The pure thought of everything this game has to offer is staggering. The constant reminders of the video game-y-ness of it all only increase the meaning. You need to play this game, and you need to pay attention. If you are not invested in the story, you won't get anything out of it. You need to listen and be immersed, and this game will change you. Tenouttaten! Expand
  34. Mar 13, 2013
    This game is kind of like a cross between Uncharted, and Resident Evil Operation Raccoon city as far as gameplay goes. It's nice to see a war game that's not first person shooter. The graphics are pretty mediocre, but the story and most of the gameplay make up for it. The only problem with the controls is the cover system. Sometimes it can be too sticky, and other times it's difficult toThis game is kind of like a cross between Uncharted, and Resident Evil Operation Raccoon city as far as gameplay goes. It's nice to see a war game that's not first person shooter. The graphics are pretty mediocre, but the story and most of the gameplay make up for it. The only problem with the controls is the cover system. Sometimes it can be too sticky, and other times it's difficult to switch cover, or to move out of cover. The story is definitely not what I expected, which is a good thing. Some of the choices you are allowed to make give the player a sense of control; some can actually tie into emotions. Nice campaign length, and multiplayer isn't bad either. Definitely a must rent, or possibly buy. Expand
  35. Jul 4, 2012
    So, I'm just starting chapter 7 in the single player(there are 13 chapters), and I am really enjoying it. The story is the big draw here and it really is a good one. The graphics are good with nice sand effects. The sound stands out with realistic sound effects and good music throughout. The gun play is good too where it really feels like you have a powerful weapon in your hands. AISo, I'm just starting chapter 7 in the single player(there are 13 chapters), and I am really enjoying it. The story is the big draw here and it really is a good one. The graphics are good with nice sand effects. The sound stands out with realistic sound effects and good music throughout. The gun play is good too where it really feels like you have a powerful weapon in your hands. AI is also good. They move around and attack in different ways. Your team performs well enough. The multiplayer on the other hand, was hit and miss, at least in the beginning. You have all the standard stuff like perks and such, ranking up as you go along. One disappointment is that there is only 6 maps. That's not enough. The other thing that was extremely bothersome, at least in the beginning was playing with poor weapons. The accuracy of these guns were beyond poor and to get the crosshair on an enemy was difficult to say the least and almost, at the time, a game breaker. But, if you stick with it, get better weapons with greater accuracy and get better perks, I'm having a lot of fun with the mp now. It just took time. Now, I'm happy with my purchase. I wasn't so much about a week ago. The mp was a letdown at the time, but now, it's much, much better. Now, if 2k could only fix the disconnect problems after a game is finished..... Expand
  36. Dec 30, 2012
    If you are a third-person shooter fan, this is a must play. Excellent atmosphere and graphics. Guns feel great and the story is superb. Half way through and no gripes at all. There are not a lot of high-quality, third-person games on the market this year, so if you like that style this is an easy choice for a pickup. (I bought it used.) Save points are generous, cover system is good.If you are a third-person shooter fan, this is a must play. Excellent atmosphere and graphics. Guns feel great and the story is superb. Half way through and no gripes at all. There are not a lot of high-quality, third-person games on the market this year, so if you like that style this is an easy choice for a pickup. (I bought it used.) Save points are generous, cover system is good. Enjoyed the lead character. Only downside for some is it can be completed fairly quickly. But this is quality over quantity, in my opinion. Love it! Expand
  37. Mar 29, 2013
    Damn, i've never completer a shooter game, they frustrate me and i dont like them, but finally, this game has changed it, it has an AWESOME story, really, this game really is one of the most Underrated games ever, it has the best story on a Shooter ever, the Gameplay is good but not at all, cover is painful at some times, and maybe sometimes you can feel repetitive but is really worth yourDamn, i've never completer a shooter game, they frustrate me and i dont like them, but finally, this game has changed it, it has an AWESOME story, really, this game really is one of the most Underrated games ever, it has the best story on a Shooter ever, the Gameplay is good but not at all, cover is painful at some times, and maybe sometimes you can feel repetitive but is really worth your time and money, an 8.5. Expand
  38. Mar 12, 2013
    Great Game, maybe the combat system and the visual's are not the best out there i will give them a 8/10 in that department). The 10/10 here is the voice actors and the AMAZING psycho-traumatic story line. I found myself deep in thought after finishingthe game.... what did i do???? why did i have to do it that way??? there was really no other way???. The game give you hint's in the lastGreat Game, maybe the combat system and the visual's are not the best out there i will give them a 8/10 in that department). The 10/10 here is the voice actors and the AMAZING psycho-traumatic story line. I found myself deep in thought after finishingthe game.... what did i do???? why did i have to do it that way??? there was really no other way???. The game give you hint's in the last chapters of what is really happening and is up to you if u stop playing not gonna happend or if you will see this madness to the end. In the end you really ask to yourself: Do you want to be a hero??? Excellent job 2k games!!! Expand
  39. Jul 30, 2012
    Spec Ops: The Line is a tactical squad-based third person shooter with the best storyline I've seen this year. You play as Captain Martin Walker who is the leader of a Delta Force recon team sent into Dubai to look for Colonel John Konrad and to rescue survivors, you learn though that there is a war between Konrad's battalion and the local resistance and you're caught in the crossfire.Spec Ops: The Line is a tactical squad-based third person shooter with the best storyline I've seen this year. You play as Captain Martin Walker who is the leader of a Delta Force recon team sent into Dubai to look for Colonel John Konrad and to rescue survivors, you learn though that there is a war between Konrad's battalion and the local resistance and you're caught in the crossfire. Gameplay is nothing special but solid, same for the multiplayer and the graphics look good for the most part despite some texture pop-in. Spec Ops: The Line should definitely be played for it's story, buy it, rent it, just get this game. Expand
  40. May 10, 2014
    Oh my. Spec ops: the line is something else. Something special. Something fantastic. You may think its a generic military shooter but it isn't. There is some texture pop in but nothing can take away the games smooth controls and fun gameplay.
  41. Sep 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. this game isn't for the gameplay it's for the story which is dark, sad and dark when Lugo I couldn't believe it and the ending is such a mind I couldn't believe it
    and it has great character development
  42. Jul 8, 2012
    As has been said before, great game with a great story. The passable gameplay is overshadowed by spectacular voice acting. Definitely not a game to be missed, but not a purchase. Rent or Redbox.
  43. Jul 7, 2012
    An enjoyable good game but simply not great.

The weapon game play feels clunky and restrictive sometimes especially when entering cover behind objects (run and enter cover uses the same button).
  44. Oct 21, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is your typical 3rd person shooter. Its nothing new that any other tactical shooter. They do have different features where you can tell your comrades throw grenade or flash bang or tell them to concentrate their fire on a particular target. Expand
  45. Jul 6, 2012
    I do not understand high score at all. It's linear, standard, and pretty boring shooter. Even old Soldier of Fortune was better story-wise, so where's the catch?
  46. Apr 6, 2013
    This game is worth playing just for the history. Best cmapaign i ve ever seen in a shooter, it ill make you feel very down in the end... The soundtrack is perfect, good n old rock, progressive stuff n graphics are ok, tough they feel a little empyty some times. The downside is the gameplay, the cover system doesnt work well as many others TPS games, its compared to Tomb Raider autoThis game is worth playing just for the history. Best cmapaign i ve ever seen in a shooter, it ill make you feel very down in the end... The soundtrack is perfect, good n old rock, progressive stuff n graphics are ok, tough they feel a little empyty some times. The downside is the gameplay, the cover system doesnt work well as many others TPS games, its compared to Tomb Raider auto cover, its hard to change cover and to change position in the battlefield cause of the buggy controls and movimentation. The game in normal difficult is pretty challengin, sometimes u will die a lot and u have to use everything u got like grenades and the squad commands to supress your enemies to go trough the game. Overall its worth playing. Expand
  47. Aug 30, 2013
    This review is gunna be about the game Spec Ops: The Line a 3rd person shooter by Darkside Game Studios and 2K Games. Considering its a 3rd person, i like it, the graphics aren't half bad and gameplay's really good. I didn't really get into Gears of War because of it being a 3rd person game, but Spec Ops: The Line somehow changed my mind about 3rd person shooters and other games like that.This review is gunna be about the game Spec Ops: The Line a 3rd person shooter by Darkside Game Studios and 2K Games. Considering its a 3rd person, i like it, the graphics aren't half bad and gameplay's really good. I didn't really get into Gears of War because of it being a 3rd person game, but Spec Ops: The Line somehow changed my mind about 3rd person shooters and other games like that. It is truly a unique game in regards to the story, finding out who's, who's fighting for who and what not, don't want to reveal to much. Although i haven't completed it yet, i certainly look forward to it. There's lots of choices so far for u to choose from, not going to tell u just in case u ain't played it but want to. If u have doubts about it, download the demo, its a long demo to play, get a feel for the game before purchasing. I give this game a 9/10.

Semper Fi

-AG-
  48. Oct 10, 2013
    A positive surprise. The visuals are great. The gameplay works. The story much better than the average military shooter story. It's really gruesome and dark. The controls are a weird mix of Uncharted and Call of Duty that takes a bit getting used to. The trophy set good and relatively quick to complete.
  49. Oct 1, 2012
    Weak story, mediocre shooting & cover mechanics, & a cheap difficulty spike 3 chapters from the end, even on normal difficulty. It's perfectly playable, & then all of a sudden, it's not. It gets to the point that you're just stuck in a spot & if you stick your head out to take a shot, you're dead. If you don't somebody will come & kill you at close range & you can't kill them because ifWeak story, mediocre shooting & cover mechanics, & a cheap difficulty spike 3 chapters from the end, even on normal difficulty. It's perfectly playable, & then all of a sudden, it's not. It gets to the point that you're just stuck in a spot & if you stick your head out to take a shot, you're dead. If you don't somebody will come & kill you at close range & you can't kill them because if you stick your head out, you're dead. If that doesn't happen, your AI team mate gets injured & you can't help him because you can't move...if you do, you're dead.

Basically, it's not worth the aggravation of watching the overly long load times over & over to see the end of the weak story.

Up until the difficulty spike I would've given it a 6, but when the enjoyment goes bye bye so does the desire to play the game, & the score.

I'm trading it in for Borderlands 2 1 chapter from the end.
  50. Jun 27, 2012
    Well, there's a lot to say about this game. It's not your run-of-the-mill shooter by any means; no, the game digs a lot deeper than just killing people. Half psychological thriller, half third-person shooter, Spec Ops will leave a lot to think about after you finish the game. There's multiple endings, and each of them is more horrific than the last. There are no good choices in Spec Ops,Well, there's a lot to say about this game. It's not your run-of-the-mill shooter by any means; no, the game digs a lot deeper than just killing people. Half psychological thriller, half third-person shooter, Spec Ops will leave a lot to think about after you finish the game. There's multiple endings, and each of them is more horrific than the last. There are no good choices in Spec Ops, only bad choices, and worse choices. One good choice you can make, though, is buying the game.
    The only reason I rate this a 9 is because the multiplayer needs improvement.
  51. Jul 5, 2012
    It's like a dream come true. Finally a military shooter that actually has something to offer other than killing a bunch of dudes. If it was a bit more polished on the technical side and someone had indeed tested those damn controls we would be probably talking GOTY status over here...
  52. Aug 27, 2012
    Oh my God. I want to play the campaign again just to see what happens if I go the other way... but I don't really want to live it again. It's scary. This game scared me. All war shooter players should play this. If I never play another war shooter again, it might be too soon.
  53. Jun 22, 2014
    Go to any search engine on-line and type in "PS3 - most underrated games" and I can almost guarantee you that Spec-Ops: The Line will be on most people's lists. Reviewers in general didn't rate this game too highly and there's one main reason for that. The multi-player is rubbish. The single-player campaign however is great - unfortunately nowadays, the on-line modes always overshadow theGo to any search engine on-line and type in "PS3 - most underrated games" and I can almost guarantee you that Spec-Ops: The Line will be on most people's lists. Reviewers in general didn't rate this game too highly and there's one main reason for that. The multi-player is rubbish. The single-player campaign however is great - unfortunately nowadays, the on-line modes always overshadow the main game and account, in my opinion, for way too heavy a percentage of the game's final score. Great game? graphics? story? fun? enjoyable? cool, sounds like an 8/10, but wait, the on-line multi-player is a bit poor so let's give the whole thing 5/10 instead.

Spec Ops: The Line is a 3rd person shooter as the title of this review suggests. It will be familiar to those of you who have played Gears of War, Binary Domain or Vanquish for example, as the control mechanics are very similar. The graphics are very nice, depicting a post sand storm-ravaged Dubai where the game takes place. There are some small frame rate issues after cut-scenes as well as the textures needing a moment to sharpen up, but this doesn't ruin the experience.

People have compared the story to Joseph Conrad's, "Heart of Darkness" (of which there is a film, Apocalypse Now) and they are more or less right with this one. 3 soldiers (American of course...) are sent into Dubai to search for survivors of the tragic sand storm. What begins as a simple in and out turns into a long (and very violent) struggle to discover the truth of what happened to the previous US military mission into the city, which takes the player on a story of surprises, twists and shocks.

Overall positives (+) and negatives (-) then:

+ Great story
    + Great graphics overall
    + Great single-player campaign (6-8 hours to complete first play through)
    + Great dialogue/voice acting
    + Fun and satisfying to play
    + Intense fast-paced action

- Poor on-line multi-player
    - Small frame rate/texture issues during gameplay
    - The classic "why do my squad members keep dying and I have to run through a hail of bullets to revive them" issue
    - Sometimes getting in and out of cover positions can be tricky and clunky

Overall, 8/10 from me. Very fun and intuitive gameplay mixed with a gripping storyline. The game is very much intended for adults (lots of violence, bad language and disturbing scenes of war) so if you're thinking of buying this as a gift for someone, bear that in mind.
  54. Sep 7, 2013
    Only play this pile if you enjoy getting stuck to cover, enemies that spam you with grenades, the worst shooting mechanic, and clumsy controls. Its hard to understand the developers could have been happy with these issues.
  55. Nov 24, 2013
    I'll tell you the multiplayer isn't the selling point here, but if you're looking for a shooter with unique and thought provoking story, and not to mention the beautiful setting of post-catastrophe Dubai, then this is it.
    I feel that this game gives a more realistic idea of the justification of war and how it bends the truth and so forth.
  56. Jul 7, 2012
    What an excellent game. Not because of gameplay and graphics, even though both were reasonably good. It's the setting and the story that had such a great impact on me. The moral choices seemed much graver and darker than in, say, Mass Effect 3 and, honestly, I'm still in awe because of the climax.

Dark, confusing, but absolutely fantastic.
  57. Aug 13, 2012
    I wasn't sure what to expect when I finally decided to pick up Spec Ops. I had avoided the spoiler casts and was waiting for it to go on sale, but I couldn't wait any longer. I had to find out what all the talk was about. This game delivered on every level. From the graphics and level design, to the fantastic story, Spec Ops is a must play.
    I finished the game in just under 6 hours
    I finished the game in just under 6 hours (of play time), which is why I'm so confused about the critism that story took too long to develop. I felt the pace of the game to be excellent. The difficulty increased appropriately and the story moved along great. There were only a couple of frustrating moments where I died a LOT in the same place, but I never wanted to give up or put the controller down like I would have in other games.
    The most important thing about this game is the feel of it. It feels great! The controls are precise and shooting someone feels right. Not morally, physically. And having an abundance of weapons to choose from allows you to try a different pair almost every level.
    The choice is yours, and you HAVE to make one. Do you buy this game and have an amazing experience? Or do you pass on it, and miss out on the opportunity to witness what it could be like to lose your grasp of reality in the middle of a war zone.
  58. Jun 26, 2012
    this game is not a 9 out of 10 its a 8.5 but meta-critic will not let me out that in, so i will round it up :)

quick review controls great 9 out of 10 simple and feel just right single player 8.5 out of 10 dark lots of blood and guts not for kids! multiplayer great might needs some patching but still very good 8.5 out of 10 everything about this game feel all most on the money, its

quick review controls great 9 out of 10 simple and feel just right
    single player 8.5 out of 10 dark lots of blood and guts not for kids!
    multiplayer great might needs some patching but still very good 8.5 out of 10

everything about this game feel all most on the money, its going to be very under rated by the big site because 2k game don't bribe reviews lol, if you are looking for a new 3rd person shooter this might be for you, give the demo a try you.
  59. Jul 23, 2012
    Spec ops the line is a special game,its a game that favors story to large explosion's and kill count,not to say that there aren't alot of guys to shoot.The guns here feel meaty and the cover system works better than most of the major reviewers have said it is.I loved how you could make choices that impact your teammates oppinion of you.One gripe,however,is the multiplayer.Team deathmatchSpec ops the line is a special game,its a game that favors story to large explosion's and kill count,not to say that there aren't alot of guys to shoot.The guns here feel meaty and the cover system works better than most of the major reviewers have said it is.I loved how you could make choices that impact your teammates oppinion of you.One gripe,however,is the multiplayer.Team deathmatch relys on camping becuase of your fragile body.I don't get how in games like cod,people run around all willy nilly and shoot eachother,but in games like this everyone camps.Buried mode is very fun,but I would like to see on screen prompts as to where your enemys VP is,you will constantly have to look at the map for direction to anywhere.Altogether,its fun,with just a few small problems that hold it back from a 9-10. Expand
  60. Dec 13, 2012
    In this day and age of gaming, we are always having military shooters shoved down our throats all the time and it has become extremely repetative. After hearing about spec ops the line I wasn't exactly jumping for joy for I am sick and tired of military shooters and the Spec ops series hasn't exactly had the best history. However, after playing Spec Ops I can honestly say that this is oneIn this day and age of gaming, we are always having military shooters shoved down our throats all the time and it has become extremely repetative. After hearing about spec ops the line I wasn't exactly jumping for joy for I am sick and tired of military shooters and the Spec ops series hasn't exactly had the best history. However, after playing Spec Ops I can honestly say that this is one of the best games of 2012 if not one of the best games of this generation. You assume the role of Captin Walker a US Delta force operator who is sent in with two other delta force operators named Lugo and Adams to the city of Dubai. A city that was destroyed by a deadly sandstorm and you are sent in to search for a high military figure named John Konrad, leader of the 33rd US batalion, who was has been missing for 6 months after being sent into the city against orders to save the citizens. Dubai is a beautiful world that I truly wanted to invest myself into. With wonderfully done lighting that properly that has a certain texture to it that brings this dead city to life, level design are all symbolisms of either political or other views of the world, graphite art on the walls for deeper meanings, and the wonderful voice acting. I could talk about the world nonstop however I am limited on characters. The story is quite possibly the biggest surprise for me, as it is the first military shooter that truly dives into the mind of a soldier and what war is like and what it truly does to the people in war. Spec ops will actually start of with nothing special going for it except for the fact that the game is extremely well written even thogh it starts off as a cleche. Spec ops eveloves and waits for u to find the answers of the story which is something that we have't seen since bioshock and something we've never seen in a military shooter. The secrets in dubai is something you want to find out for urself and it is truly disturbing. In fact it can be too disturbing for some and if you really pay attention u may feel bad that you are actually playing the game making it one of the best story experiences of the last few years. Discussing themes such as anti-war, does any reason for killing really change the context of muder, why do we try to be heros when we are not, is fighting for your country a good enough reason to kill, the mind of a soldier in the battlefield, the choices soldiers must make, deception, insanity, and the list goes on really delivering something that we rarely see in gaming and something we never see in a military shooter. Now gameplay in Spec ops believe it or not is extremely entertaining, while the gameplay doesn't innovate like the story it's definately playable and plays extremely well. While I may have some gripes of the fact that sometimes Walker will still get hit even while in cover that is minor for what the gameplay gets right. Now this may be hard to believe but Spec ops the line's enemy and ally AI is actually quite brilliant, enemies know the terrain and will take every advantage they can to kill you. They will flank you, throw grenades at you, throw grenades not directly at you but close enough to kick up clouds of sand to blind you, they will use cover fire and move from cover to cover and have no predictable patterns, and will have fantastic aim but not cheap. Even your allies are extremely smart, they dont get in your way and they actually kill enemies, better yet u can command them to kill certain targets and if you order them to kill a target they 9.999 times out of 10 will kill him right away and if not quick enough Lugo will either snipe him if hes far away or Adams will throw a grenade. Either way they will always get the job done and I am happy with how Yager handled the AI. However, multiplayer is this game's down fall, while it isn't horrible (trust me i've played some really bad multiplayer) it doesn't do anything different and it is clearly obvious that it was half assed and only put their becuase 2K told them to put it in there. Not going to go into any details with that just know that multiplayer isn't anything to write home about. Spec ops the line truly surprised me, it did something that i was not expecting and truly is the best military shooter to date. All for its mature handling of adult themes, fantastic writing, beautiful world, captivating and deep story, and everthing that a game should have, context, focusing more on the moments and the emotions than the typical badass high five dudes. Now it isn't perfect like every other game i still find things i dont like however Spec ops the line is a special game that makes u angry that u even enjoy violent games a game that will have u think about certain themes without pushing it down your throat. I can't reccomend it enough, stop reading this review and go get this game.....what are you waiting for? Go now! Expand
  61. Aug 30, 2013
    You will probably think the game is boring at the beginning ,but when you get to the first choices then it really begin to shine. The story is what saves it and the twist at the end is awesome. I really enjoyed it and it is worth buying.
  62. Aug 27, 2013
    A rather mediocre cover shooter, let down by its spotty controls and schizophrenic cover system by far the biggest problem is its attempts at exploring morality. The further you go into the story, the more morally dubious choices you make. I say you make, but really the game forces you to perform these acts by simply providing no other options when progressing the story.
    However what I
    However what I found by far the most distasteful part of the game are the messages that start to pop up during the overly long loading screens.
    “You are still a good person”, the game tells me, in its rather ham fisted attempt at making me think about what I have done., “do you feel like a hero yet” but by far the worst “How many Americans have you killed today”.
    Excuse me?
    Now this really is a lesson that games companies are going to have to learn if they are expecting to export their games to other countries. Attempts to make me feel guilty about killing soldiers, who were trying to kill me, is one thing, but specifying that I should feel guilty because they are american soldiers? ‘Insurgents’ can be offed left right and centre with nary a moral second thought but Frith forbid an american gets harmed. That’s before you take into account the, rather large, number of civilians that you offhandedly murder throughout the course of the game. But don’t worry about them, they’re only filthy foreign ragheads so that’s OK then.
    As a cover based shooter, the game is above average. As an exploration into ethics, Yager has shown that they clearly need to take a big look at their own.
  63. Nov 3, 2013
    If you think that Spec Ops is just a generic shooter, think twice, maybe three times.

Spec Ops: The Line takes you on a journey as you play as Captain Walker (voiced by Nolan North who provided voices for Drake in the Uncharted series and Edward Richtofen in the COD: Zombies series) into Dubai, with your fellow mates, Lugo and Adams. Over the course of the game, Walker's view of

Over the course of the game, Walker's view of reality starts to fall apart. This is where the hallucinations come in.

The only problem I face with this game is the multi-player, which is dead.

Overall, buy this game if you like a good story.
  64. Nov 5, 2013
    Studying the development of the novel from throwaway pop culture to the ultimate in literary preeminence gives me hope for video games future as storytelling tools. Spec Ops: The Line provides a small step towards video games claiming a place next to books and films in contemporary high culture. Never has a video game conveyed such an emotional and self-aware story which can make theStudying the development of the novel from throwaway pop culture to the ultimate in literary preeminence gives me hope for video games future as storytelling tools. Spec Ops: The Line provides a small step towards video games claiming a place next to books and films in contemporary high culture. Never has a video game conveyed such an emotional and self-aware story which can make the player question not just the morality of the characters, but that of their own decisions. This is no ordinary modern shooter and a must play. Expand
  65. Nov 8, 2013
    This is literally a game worth looking at. Despite being a shooter. This game defines all of the craziness of the shooter genre wars, which (Everyone knows) Battlefield Vs. Call of Duty. This is literally (In my own opinion), their dark brother that gives us the sinister dark side of these shooters. It gives us many of the fear that wars and weapons don't make us heroic that other shootersThis is literally a game worth looking at. Despite being a shooter. This game defines all of the craziness of the shooter genre wars, which (Everyone knows) Battlefield Vs. Call of Duty. This is literally (In my own opinion), their dark brother that gives us the sinister dark side of these shooters. It gives us many of the fear that wars and weapons don't make us heroic that other shooters portray. They show us our inner demons that favors guns and bloody violence. This game's campaign shines the most. Throughout the campaign it is messing with our minds throughout the game that makes us go insane until the very end. Not to spoil anything, once you play the game until you reach the conclusion of the truth about the story will make you feel ashamed for all your actions. Hell, in the loading screen it said "It is all your fault". This is would've been my perfect game, but it has flaws. The cover system is terrible making your character slide or accidentally pop out in the middle of a gunfight leading to deaths. Also the multiplayer is a bit of a bore, but is enjoyable. It is my best favorite game of all time (Well if Watch Dogs does better). I would highly recommend this game to anyone, but can handle the insane scenes and adult gruesome psychological horror in this game. Expand
  66. Jan 27, 2014
    Una de las mejores narrativas algunas vez encontradas en un videojuego, la jugabilidad simple se justifica por el objetivo de la historia que el juego cuenta! lo recomiendo!!!!!
  67. Mar 17, 2013
    Spec Ops The Line excellent unique storyline (which is rare for a military shooter,) great setting, visuals, gameplay is quite good, relatively few times where I felt like the controls let me down (vaulting over cover instead of melee attacking.) Lots of twists, some interesting moral choices. Played it in hard and there were definitely a few times where the game asked me if I wanted toSpec Ops The Line excellent unique storyline (which is rare for a military shooter,) great setting, visuals, gameplay is quite good, relatively few times where I felt like the controls let me down (vaulting over cover instead of melee attacking.) Lots of twists, some interesting moral choices. Played it in hard and there were definitely a few times where the game asked me if I wanted to step down the difficulty due to retrying the same section over and over, but ultimately I found it satisfying when I eventually beat those sections (usually when I didn't have any squad back up.) Chances are some day I'll be playing it again on the now unlocked suicidal setting, making different choices to see how the story changes (I'm sure it's not very much but I'm still curious.) Definitely recommend this title and I'll be watching for their next project. Expand
  68. Jul 3, 2012
    I think that Spec Ops The Line is a great campaign mainly because of the story line I would've never have expected the ending if I had not played it myself. I love the difficulty of it. Like pre_-cision-_ said it is worthy of a book. The only thing I do dislike about this game is that on the multiplayer I always disconnect for some strange reason but its not because of my connection. SoI think that Spec Ops The Line is a great campaign mainly because of the story line I would've never have expected the ending if I had not played it myself. I love the difficulty of it. Like pre_-cision-_ said it is worthy of a book. The only thing I do dislike about this game is that on the multiplayer I always disconnect for some strange reason but its not because of my connection. So other than that the game is great! Expand
  69. Jul 5, 2012
    This was really something in CoD/BF gaming world.
    Spec Ops give nice storyline, graphics are good, sound world are great and gaming is precious. Controls are good and covering system works fine.
    Story starts like anyother, but deepens and darkens when game goes forward till its really fine writed ending.
  70. Dec 27, 2012
    This is no normal shooter, a compelling game with an interesting take on modern shooters and PTSD inducing situations. Nothing in this game is enjoyable, and it is made that way. Nothing you do is ok in any way throughout the game, but it is very worth playing and a great story.
  71. Oct 13, 2014
    definitely one of if not the best game i have ever played i could go on a rant at how amazing it is and how brilliant the story is but you just need to play it, now

1. Aug 20, 2012
    Spec Ops: The Line is a solid, action packed shooter that sets itself apart by demonstrating the brutal realities of war. The fragile lines of morality are easily blurred, and sometimes, only visible when crossed.
  2. While it's marred by frequent visual pop-in and frustrating checkpoint placement, Spec Ops is nevertheless a pretty significant achievement. [Sept 2012, p.79]
  3. Where Spec Ops succeeds – just – is with its themes of the end justifying the means, the ravages of war on a man's psyche and its portrayal of extreme violence. This is simultaneously its downfall as the team haven't quite nailed the execution until the final moments, where the full extent of what's happened over the last eight or so hours dawns on the protagonists. We wish Yager had teased and fleshed out the concepts sooner than leaving it to the beguiling endings; we doubt many players will bother reaching the credits. A year and half ago we might have been more impressed with The Line, but its poor presentation and boring shootouts completely let it down. [August 2012, p70]