8.0

1. Feb 10, 2013
    Spec Ops: The Line is a fantastic game. The third person mechanics are relatively antiquated but the combat is still fun and satisfying. The helicopter sequences (which usually drag in other action games) are particularly fun and impressive. What elevates Spec Ops far above the usual shooter are it's plot, atmosphere and location. Firstly, the ruined Dubai that hosts the game is absolutely brilliant. It's chasms, skyscrapers and sandstorms impress immensely and help further the gulf between Spec Ops and other shooters. The plot is wonderfully written and acted, giving you a very compelling reason to push on through the game. I'd like to get more into why the plot is great but I don't want to ruin things with spoilers. I will tell you this, though. Spec Ops: The Line is as close to 'profound' as a military shooter has ever come. It's conclusion had me reeling and thinking about it for hours afterwards. Due to it's inscrutable depths, Spec Ops is a game that begs to be replayed and re-experienced. Excellent stuff! Expand
  2. Aug 1, 2012
    This game was okay. The controls were pretty good. It got repetitive though and started putting me to sleep half way though. I liked the twist ending though. The problem is that you have to keep trudging along to the very end to finally know whats going on in the game. I'm all for that except the journey to get there was really boring in my opinion. It started off strong, but then it started getting repetitive. Expand
  3. Sep 1, 2013
    Spec Ops: The Line is a unique game, a great game but makes some big shortfalls to make it the game that everyone seems to rave about.
    You play as Captain Martin Walker, the leader of a small reconnaissance team sent into a war torn Dubai to find and rescue any surviving members of the 33rd (a group of soldiers) and bring home a man of great importance, Colonel John Konrad, head of the
    33rd. Upon arriving in Dubai you are attacked by US soldiers who are quickly revealed to be the 33rd and so have to battle your way to Konrad as you believe he has gone corrupt and wishes to hold Dubai under his rule. However after putting you through many morally questionable circumstances you begin to wonder if what you are seeing is what is actually happening.
    Spec Ops: The Line is a middle finger to modern military shooters, there is no hero and some parts of the story are enough to make you stop playing because they question your humanity to such a level it becomes difficult to play.
    The game also looks and plays pretty good, but the gem is in the story with this one. The biggest problems are that if you have seen 'Apocalypse Now' or enough war films you can manage to piece together the story together pretty easily, nearly every event in the game has been seen before, it's just stringing them together in this way that makes it special.
  4. Dec 18, 2013
    This game surprised me. I didn't expect it to be this good. The graphics are very good, the controls fluid and it was the dark story that kept me going. The game is pretty short though and I personally didn't like the ending because it was predictable. But that's just me.
  5. Sep 14, 2013
    A game that mocks "wars against wars", but meanwhile is an "on-rail shooter against on-rail shooters". The actual gameplay is like a seven hour long shooting gallery. Some parts are spectacular and feel like you're being taken on a really well designed amusement park ride about war.. like a museum for a war where you walk through the actual battlefield and see the terrible consequences at the same time. I was surprised how well-made the effects were, and how varied the settings in Dubai. This is not a desert-game. You'll be taken through some inspired scenes. But always with the on-rail shooter at the core of the game, and all the innovation and reasons for playing it strewn on top, superficially. It could have been revolutionizing if only the game design was as playfully subversive as the story and the art. If you're still intrigued, I recommend the game. But after the playthrough, you can start to come up with all the left-out gameplay elements that could have lifted the entire game to the level of the story/concept. Expand
  6. Jul 27, 2012
    In my honest opinion, one of 2012's best surprises. I just can't believe how much fun this game actually is. Great graphics, interesting atmosphere, tight gameplay, PHENOMENAL voice acting (main character's voice is actually the same guy who plays Uncharted's Nathan Drake), awesome story. I was not quite aware of this title until very recently and, after watching a couple of videos, finally decided to give it a chance. Great, great game. MUST NOT BE MISSED. Expand
  7. Oct 5, 2013
    Spec Ops: The Line is not just another shooter, it tells a deep story and puts you in situations that no human being should endure. The gameplay is some of the best ive ever seen in a 3rd-Person-Shooter. The multiplayer is solid, the graphics are good. This game was really good that i had to get the plantinum for it.
  8. Nov 14, 2013
    Graphics: Nice looking graphics, but mostly the lighting and sand stand out. Character models are decent but could look more lifelike. 9.

Sound: Voice acting is average; nothing really stands out theme wise except the anthem on the title screen. Gun sounds are normal. 7.5.

Gameplay: The game is a linear experience but actually really fun. It’s been a while since I’ve played a
    military shooter this good, especially with Socom 4 failing to deliver. Spec ops the line is probably the most underrated game released last year. The game’s campaign is an excellent experience, some of the most shocking experiences. Scripted events are included in this game but never overdone, choices play a part even though none really have a major impact until the end, and they are still tough choices to make. Spec Ops the line is an excellent third person experience that is worth playing through at least once. The multiplayer on the other hand is a horrible experience, laggy and just unplayable. The multiplayer was said to be outsourced, and they really should have never added it at all. 8.5.

Story: One of the best military experiences in a while. The game doesn’t copy paste you’re average war hero story out to save the world even though it may seem that it may be going in that direction. Choices in the game that is shocking. A plot twist that is just excellently done with things that you may only notice during a second playthrough. 10.

Replay Value: The game doesn’t have much replay value, because the campaign is still short clocking about 6 hours. If you’re going for all the achieve/trophies it could probably be done in 11 hours. The multiplayer is just too laggy and unplayable, and the multiplayer experience overall is just plain bad. With that said give this game at least a playthrough, but if you plan to make this game a 20 hour experience, it probably won’t last anywhere near that. 7.

Overall Score: 8.4 out of 10.
  9. Mar 3, 2014
    Where to start? This is really decent 3rd person shooter with pretty sweet graphics and story which is not really good but not also worst than other shooters. Ideally this game should get 7 or 8, but there is too much bad things in it which are not big but enough to partly spoil the game. First, if you don't have party to play and you play alone you will die mostly saving your stupid AI buddies because they rush ahead and die frequently. And you can't avoid it because if you not save them mission failed. Further, there is really long loading time after each death which is really annoying if you play on some hard settings. Some strange Controls are also bad like standing up from cover and start running. This thing is really glitchy. This could be really awesome game, but with all that only mediocre! Expand
  10. Jan 2, 2013
    Spec Ops: The Line is a great game, you can't deny that. I just wish it was longer, it's quite short, but still, I thought it was amazing, quite underrated if you asked me, one of the best game this gen. Yes, it is that good, please buy it as soon as possible.
  11. Jul 9, 2012
    Without naming names, I saw one user claim that The Line's regaling campaign was worthy of a book. It's called The Heart of Darkness, written by one Joseph Conrad. Not that taking inspiration from cult novella is a particularly bad thing, see Apocalypse Now, and credit should definitely be placed at the feet of the writers for applying such a chilling and remarkable inspiration to such a striking and contemporary setting. But plot aside, I'm afraid this isn't anything we haven't already seen done a few dozen times before. Cover based shooter with overt and charismatic squad mates led by Nathan Drake in disguise, his trademark run of bad luck running as a real tour de force behind much of the action. Should that take your fancy, you'll probably be happy to know it comes with basic competitive components such as team death match and headset support. So unfortunately, it's nothing more than an abnormally interesting third person shooter. I won't tell you to disregard it, but I won't tell you to waste your money on it. Expand
  12. Nov 4, 2012
    I have never liked any of the Call of Duty games, I just don't care for military shooters but I love Spec Ops the line. The graphics are the best I've ever seen in this type of game, the story moves at a good pace( the story is excellent), the action is fast paced, and the controls are perfect. Once I began playing this game I couldn't stop. Of course with any game there are flaws and this one is no exception, the frame-rate stutters during heavy gunfights, unbalanced A.I., and long load times. Its not enough to break the enjoyment but it does lower my score. This game definitely deserves to be played by anyone who enjoys FPS as well as anyone who enjoys great war stories. Check it out. Expand
  13. Jul 9, 2012
    spec-ops THE LINE. has a great if slightly short main campaign the story is good and the characters are good enough that you grow to actually care when they are out of action or down in a fight.
    the graphics are good depending if you like the color filters vibrant,fetches out orange in the sand dunes , and the other settings use more muddy brown feel. vibrant gives the best over-all
    look . the graphics do seem much improved from the demo. it took me just over 5hrs-30 on hard with 70% of colectables . but its replayable with the range of weapons and fubar (uber-hard) difficulty is a real challenge. multi-player on the other hand is very average and you get a lot of disconnections due to the host leaving and no host migration. otherwise fun but average stuff. theres plenty of weapons but they dont feel or look anywere as detailed as ghost recons weapons. no real weapon customisation either. just class character customisation. over-all good story would prefer a longer solo game than added multi-player. there is scope for a sequel. Expand
  14. Aug 26, 2012
    If you finish Spec Ops: The Line without learning anything about yourself; without ever feeling genuine anger, sadness, or regret; without truly examining where the line is drawn between right and wrong; then you played it wrong.
  15. Aug 7, 2012
    A tight third person shooter that does little in the way of gameplay to innovate. This being said it is still fun, and is a tough game to finish on the two harder difficulties. Intuitive controls make the game a pleasure to play albeit fairly simple with basic squad commands and fairly linear progression.

The real draw of this game is its story line. Though it does have its share of
    "OOH-RAH! Semper-fi" gung-ho heroism and dialogue to match it is mostly a fairly thought provocative game, something rare in a shooter. At the worst bits you'll cringe when one of the characters says something like "Just be thankful for the extra target practise." But at it's best it boast a stunning story line full of twists and will have you questioning your own morality. Expand
  16. Jul 8, 2012
    Incredible storyline, the Apocalypse Now for the next generation. However, I feel that I've already spoken too much. Gameplay is fantastic and a great story. Do not miss this game. However, one major gripe I had for the whole game was the controls. A game should be fun, the difficulty from the challenge on completing the game and each chapter. A game's challenge should not come from the cumbersome Console controls which Spec Ops The Line is from. Instead of life and death struggles, you'll have controlitis struggles, because your very life depends on whether you double clicked the same key for various commands. I understand Consoles have limited buttons, but PCs do not. Once again, Developers fail to polish what is probably one of the better games released in 2012. And for that, what would have been a perfect 10 is now an 8.

>Edit< While reviewing this, I made an error and reviewed the PS3 version instead of the PC version. However, did not realize that the PS3 was separated from the PC review. Moreover, I left the PS3 Review as is, without properly ranking it or reviewing it. My mistake. My Score has always been an 8 and not a Zero.
  17. Feb 20, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The mission has been compromised, although that is on what you believe in until you kill innocent people (forgot how many) then later begin to blame it on the man you, yourself tried to search for, now wanting what he calls to be the right thing such as justice to take him down. Making yourself face many unnecessary decisions just wanting to be the hero as what you thought John Konrad (man you try to find) to be. He also wanted to be a hero trying to evacuate the civilians but ended in critical failure having him lose so many lives, he then killed himself for the choices he made. Walker (character you play as) was now going through the issues Konrad had to face which was choice that should have been avoided not made, so for Walker his consequences were the lost of his squad, many more civilians, and US troops.

In the end when you reach John Konrad you find him dead, long before delta squad arrived you could decide to deny it and live or die just like Konrad. If you decided to live then you begin to call for an evacuation, later on Falcon One arrives should you; kill them, leave, or die fighting them. Mine was die fighting since I saw it to be the "best" choice, doesn't mean it is however.

Overall I gave the game a 9! Did not add any multiplayer since I did not have the want to play it, also it was empty (dead) when I tried to play some of it. I highly recommend for those who care to experience something more dreaded in a singleplayer game!
  18. Jun 28, 2012
    I was highly anticipating spec ops the line, after getting pushed back a couple years i was finally able to pick my copy up and the game proved too define "short and sweet" to say the least. I put emphasis on "short" more so than sweet because the games campaign played on the hardest setting lasted about 6 hours (the "33rd" setting , before unlocking the hardest setting "fubar"or :insanity). The campaign consists of 15 short chapters and an epilogue which is hardly worth mentioning , the check points seemed to have no purpose other than the purpose of having them, short chapters.. I will get back into "short" in a bit but as far as the game itself, well it was pretty solid for the most part and i will break it down..
    Graphics= were sometimes stunning, no game breaking visuals by way of technical elements but the scenery which this game takes place can be a very pretty one, blending some eye popping colors along w/ nice set pieces such as a huge fish tank palace which even the floor is built w/ glass water and fish were one which were very fun for me to look at but at the same time in this day and age texture blurs of faces , yes faces, have no place in gaming 2012.. Its a slap to the face of the pretty set pieces , designed w/ care just to have blurred out faces, guns etc to be placed right in front of them..So there were some great visuals and then there were some wtf was that visuals but the latter didnt drown out the truely great designs, just made one think what yager was doing with all this extra time, obviously they didnt spend in the campaign dept..

Sound = was/is prob one of the highlights of this game, w/ smart guitar rifts to perfectly executed tunes which fit the theme/mood/chapter.. It was done very well, the lip syncing was decent and voices were top notch.

Gameplay = sometimes a developers can bring some fresh, bold ideas making an exp truly unique but this is where yager dropped the ball, THE SAND , they had something really special but didnt pursue it, just inserted a few scenes which were truly awesome and original and left them on the cutting floor it seems.. 3rd party shooter mechanics are somewhat like mass effect but also uncharted, i believe rolling or jumping is a must when grenades are a big part of the enemies offensive / defensive tactics, especially when the controls can feel very clumsy at times wanting to vault but only to stand out of cover to take an instant bullet of death to the head.. The switch cover/get out of cover, vault will frustrate at some point of the game, taking away the true feeling of "control" over walker..

Story = yes it was decent, but during the loading screens i would notice text which would read "do you feel like a hero" and "how many americans did you kill today" and this was a bit much after seeing it a 6th or 7th time, YES YAGER I GET IT, i am playing the game, i know what is unfolding before me..I dont want to spoil the game but a few of these texts were going a bit far, no not story dialogue, the text while waiting for the screen to load.. Some were far more offensive than what was going on in the game, the story and dialogue were almost original and did have some great dialogue between walker , adams and lugo (his comrades) and the story was a very solid one, but again as i mentioned w/ certain gameplay mechanics , they seemed to drop the ball when the score was clearly in their favor..

MP = multiplayer is very lackluster and almost spot on with the beta i played many many many months ago... unpolished and had potential.

END RESULT, i am tired of paying full price for a game which will last less than a half a day to finish BUT this one is worth playing and beating so rent it or wait until its used, play it beat it and take it back..
    I usually dont suggest such practices but im tired of the gaming industries practice of giving us the same old same old but for the price of a months phone bill.. This is worth playing, worth owning it is not but it couldve been.. Yager what have you guys been doing for the past couple years? Down scaling the campaign?,lol..Im not a big fan of being forced to put on highest setting only to get more than a few hours out of the campaign (killlzone 3 guilty as charged).. I tried to do just that after knowing the short length of this campaign but im only fooling myself, the game lasts longer only due to the more continues and its not because its more "challenging" its because more "mystery" bullets are on a string to the ones head.. With a day and age which free games are becoming not just "trendy" but also having more content as well as quality, well i must question buying retail unless its truely a no brainer, nut in this gen you just never know until the game is in your console/p.c.
    Its seems Yager had nil faith in sales of spec ops the line, a tad more effort and this would be a solid game.
  19. Nov 10, 2013
    wow what a story line my god i am not gone spoil it but its amezing you play as walker voicet ase nolan north and your in dubai to shoot people that is something i dont get in this game you are saveing people while the only thing you do is shooting the shooting is fun not great but not bad you can give your squad commants and the time slows down when you make a headshot this are litle fun things the game is pretty short around 6-7 hours than you got your mp witch is meh but it is the story that takes me the charecters its just amezing you have got to play this for the story Expand
  20. Jun 28, 2012
    Without spoiling anything for the Singleplayer campaign the storyline is worthy of a book. I loved it from the first second to the very last. There are not many bugs in this game either the biggest is slow loading textures but that's alright since for the most part this game is a graphical beauty. For the multiplayer side of things it would have had alot more potential if they expanded it to more than just 8 players in total. The maps are way to big and with the cover system players will camp thus making it seem like a ghost town at times. Unfortunately the same could be said about the gamemodes as there is really nothing special offered here and the objective modes just don't work because of the lack of players. However there is surprisingly alot of things you can unlock to keep you coming back for more. I absolutely love the character customization, armor system, perk system, gun play, huge amount of weapons and the environmental aspects to the online play. Great game by 2k and I hope they produce a sequel. Expand
  21. Aug 21, 2013
    I had seen the bad reviews for this game far more often than the good, and had low expectations for this game.
    Yes, it is another third person shooter, with generic mechanics, and it tries a squad commanding thing, which is fully functional, but is never really needed.
    Though the story, and the setting, is really what saves this game from the masses of Army of Two and Operation Raccoon
    City. It deals with heavy topics including Heroism, Trust, sanity, doing what's right etc. While the choices in the game are fairly limited and have no lasting impact, you still often have to stop and really think out your choice. The game's endings have a large impact on you and leave you stunned. (I have only played through once so far and do not know any other endings, but I'd assume they're of the same quality)
    Overall this is a brilliant narrative-driven game with breathtaking visuals and hard choices. For all those who complain about the generic mechanics and give it a 0, play it through fully and see for yourself why everyone else loves it.
  22. Oct 28, 2012
    Now, I don't usually give a 10 if the game isn't perfect or close to perfection, and this game is full of flaws, but I just feel like balancing out the average score, so here it is. It's a very haunting, visceral and real game. It's the most realistic game (in theming) I've ever played. Gameplay wise it's sub-par and generic, but that was the point. The point was to have overtly game-like play, stocked with genericness and cheap deaths, pushed through the filter of a seriously grim and haunting story, to emphasize how disconnected modern war shooters are from the real thing. It's unfair to say that the game is bad because it has a bad multi-player. Come on, don't do that. Don't perpetuate the idea that all shooters need multi-player. Did BioShock need it to be better? Did Half-Life? Did System Shock 2? Exactly, Spec Ops: The Line is up there. Go watch Extra Credits video on it, you will understand. Expand
  23. Jun 26, 2012
    i really like this game, nice setting, about 3 hours in and no problem with hit detection like in max payne 3, gunplay is fast and the enemies flank, rush, or take cover, story is great,very graphic, sound is great with interesting music playing through single player, making you feel in the moment, head shot are amazing, controls kinda like gears but without a roll or dodge, but otherwise gameplay so far great, i have not been frustrated at all, awesome sand storms, and other sand tricks are cool too, i would rate this game 9 out of 10 graphics very good also btw Expand
  24. Jul 3, 2014
    Brave, daring, and dramatic Spec Ops: The Line is basically the antithesis of a CoD game when it comes to shooters. The only reason you buy Spec Ops is for the brilliant single-player experience, the guys at Yager should be commended for having the guts to show that in war there are no heroes, no winners, no glory. Technically the game works well as a third person cover based shooter with the regular assortment of modern military weaponry and esthetically pleasing scenery and graphics. The game also features satisfying environmental hazards which can be used to annihilate the enemy in spectacular fashion, such as shooting out glass with a thousand tons of compacted sand behind it and watching it envelop the opposition. If The Line had a "mail it in" generic script like most other war shooters it would still be a competent game, but infact the script is an inspiring one with moral choices that alter the game and a narrative with twists and turns that would you expect from a great book. The Line explores the mental anguish of war and challenges every other game in the genre to step up their single-player story and make something REAL. The voice acting is top notch featuring Nolan North as the voice of main character Captian Martin Walker and the sound effects and soundtrack are superb featuring many Vietnam era inspired tracks such as Jimi Hendrix's rendition of All Along the Watchtower. Overall Spec Ops: The Line is a spectacularly visceral game that will have you questioning your decisions often, this game will make you think and feel in a way no shooter ever has - it's a shame more people experience it. If you own a PS3 or 360 and are not a completely emotionless sheep then you owe it to yourself to pick up a copy of this criminally under appretiated game. This should have been the game that pushed the war shooter genre in videogames forward, but unfortunately nobody noticed... will you? Expand
  25. Sep 1, 2013
    Beautiful art design+ Phenomenal acting + Good use of licensed soundtrack ( Jimmi Hendrix, The Black Angels and even a classical music piece ) + Very good story + A soul sucking experience that made me cross The Line '' - The cover system loves to piss you off sometimes during the final chapters - The difficulty jumps 200m high during the final chapters. F#$k YOU CHAPTER 14!!! )
    - Too Short Took me 9 hours on Suicide Mission
  26. Jun 18, 2014
    Based on Hearts of Darkness, the novel of which Apocalypse Now was born, Spec Ops: The Line is a spectacular, story driven, third person, military shooter which exposes us to the horrors of war like no other game available today. Let down slightly by average graphics and short length. However the moral choices system warrants multiple play throughs 8/10
  27. Apr 10, 2013
    First things first, this game has some of the most mediocre gameplay of any shooter I've played in recent memory. Everything about it feels generic. The weapons feel like they have no weight to them, and it's honestly kind of hard to detect if you're even hitting your enemies with gun fire. As far as the story goes, it is very Apocalypse Now. Parts of it have been interesting exploring the morality of war, but the writing just seems to fall flat and you don't end up really caring about the characters or the horrible situations they get themselves into. Expand
  28. Mar 24, 2013
    Gameplay-wise, this is your typical third-person shooter. Story-wise, this is far from your typical third-person shooter, and that's a good thing. If you're looking for a depiction of modern war that's a bit different and probably a bit more accurate then look no further.
  29. Jun 30, 2012
    Wow, this game really achieved something unique... Can't quite put my finger on it, at first it felt like a ordinary shooter, and it is gameplaywise but the story is what makes it worth your money. At several points later in the game I was confused, but in a good way, haven't felt the same way since.... Well, Bioshock I suppose, it's truly a unique game in that aspect, it's not just a generic war story, it's extreamly dark so sensitive gamers might wanna avoid this one... But take my word on this, it will even make the most hardened gamers feel unease at certain parts. Still, I do recommend this to all who can handle this kind of adult material, because the amazing use of colours and storytelling is really rare in games today, I've been wating for this game for years now and it was indeed worth the wait! Yager have really done a good job, although the multiplayer is pretty standard but once again, you ARE buying this game for the story, which you should. Goddamn, I really hope they make more games like this, this, people, is a real step towards much more mature stories, and I like it alot! I give it a 9/10, really deserving, great graphics, great sound/music, it's a really good buy for those who have nothing else to do this summer! Expand
  30. Jun 27, 2012
    When the dust settles (no pun intended) Spec Ops: The Line is one of those special games that surprise you as it progresses. Don't think that this is you average TPS military shooter, as it is FAR from that.

1. Aug 20, 2012
    Spec Ops: The Line is a solid, action packed shooter that sets itself apart by demonstrating the brutal realities of war. The fragile lines of morality are easily blurred, and sometimes, only visible when crossed.
  2. While it's marred by frequent visual pop-in and frustrating checkpoint placement, Spec Ops is nevertheless a pretty significant achievement. [Sept 2012, p.79]
  3. Where Spec Ops succeeds – just – is with its themes of the end justifying the means, the ravages of war on a man's psyche and its portrayal of extreme violence. This is simultaneously its downfall as the team haven't quite nailed the execution until the final moments, where the full extent of what's happened over the last eight or so hours dawns on the protagonists. We wish Yager had teased and fleshed out the concepts sooner than leaving it to the beguiling endings; we doubt many players will bother reaching the credits. A year and half ago we might have been more impressed with The Line, but its poor presentation and boring shootouts completely let it down. [August 2012, p70]