8.0

1. Jun 30, 2012
    Wow, this game really achieved something unique... Can't quite put my finger on it, at first it felt like a ordinary shooter, and it is gameplaywise but the story is what makes it worth your money. At several points later in the game I was confused, but in a good way, haven't felt the same way since.... Well, Bioshock I suppose, it's truly a unique game in that aspect, it's not just a generic war story, it's extreamly dark so sensitive gamers might wanna avoid this one... But take my word on this, it will even make the most hardened gamers feel unease at certain parts. Still, I do recommend this to all who can handle this kind of adult material, because the amazing use of colours and storytelling is really rare in games today, I've been wating for this game for years now and it was indeed worth the wait! Yager have really done a good job, although the multiplayer is pretty standard but once again, you ARE buying this game for the story, which you should. Goddamn, I really hope they make more games like this, this, people, is a real step towards much more mature stories, and I like it alot! I give it a 9/10, really deserving, great graphics, great sound/music, it's a really good buy for those who have nothing else to do this summer! Expand
  2. Jun 28, 2012
    Without spoiling anything for the Singleplayer campaign the storyline is worthy of a book. I loved it from the first second to the very last. There are not many bugs in this game either the biggest is slow loading textures but that's alright since for the most part this game is a graphical beauty. For the multiplayer side of things it would have had alot more potential if they expanded it to more than just 8 players in total. The maps are way to big and with the cover system players will camp thus making it seem like a ghost town at times. Unfortunately the same could be said about the gamemodes as there is really nothing special offered here and the objective modes just don't work because of the lack of players. However there is surprisingly alot of things you can unlock to keep you coming back for more. I absolutely love the character customization, armor system, perk system, gun play, huge amount of weapons and the environmental aspects to the online play. Great game by 2k and I hope they produce a sequel. Expand
  3. Aug 26, 2012
    If you finish Spec Ops: The Line without learning anything about yourself; without ever feeling genuine anger, sadness, or regret; without truly examining where the line is drawn between right and wrong; then you played it wrong.
  4. Jun 26, 2012
    i really like this game, nice setting, about 3 hours in and no problem with hit detection like in max payne 3, gunplay is fast and the enemies flank, rush, or take cover, story is great,very graphic, sound is great with interesting music playing through single player, making you feel in the moment, head shot are amazing, controls kinda like gears but without a roll or dodge, but otherwise gameplay so far great, i have not been frustrated at all, awesome sand storms, and other sand tricks are cool too, i would rate this game 9 out of 10 graphics very good also btw Expand
  5. Jun 26, 2012
    this game is not a 9 out of 10 its a 8.5 but meta-critic will not let me out that in, so i will round it up :) quick review controls great 9 out of 10 simple and feel just right single player 8.5 out of 10 dark lots of blood and guts not for kids! multiplayer great might needs some patching but still very good 8.5 out of 10 everything about this game feel all most on the money, its going to be very under rated by the big site because 2k game don't bribe reviews lol, if you are looking for a new 3rd person shooter this might be for you, give the demo a try you. Expand
  6. Jul 7, 2012
    What an excellent game. Not because of gameplay and graphics, even though both were reasonably good. It's the setting and the story that had such a great impact on me. The moral choices seemed much graver and darker than in, say, Mass Effect 3 and, honestly, I'm still in awe because of the climax.

Dark, confusing, but absolutely fantastic.
  7. Oct 1, 2012
    Weak story, mediocre shooting & cover mechanics, & a cheap difficulty spike 3 chapters from the end, even on normal difficulty. It's perfectly playable, & then all of a sudden, it's not. It gets to the point that you're just stuck in a spot & if you stick your head out to take a shot, you're dead. If you don't somebody will come & kill you at close range & you can't kill them because if you stick your head out, you're dead. If that doesn't happen, your AI team mate gets injured & you can't help him because you can't move...if you do, you're dead.

Basically, it's not worth the aggravation of watching the overly long load times over & over to see the end of the weak story.

Up until the difficulty spike I would've given it a 6, but when the enjoyment goes bye bye so does the desire to play the game, & the score.

I'm trading it in for Borderlands 2 1 chapter from the end.
  8. Jul 6, 2012
    I do not understand high score at all. It's linear, standard, and pretty boring shooter. Even old Soldier of Fortune was better story-wise, so where's the catch?
  9. Jun 27, 2012
    When the dust settles (no pun intended) Spec Ops: The Line is one of those special games that surprise you as it progresses. Don't think that this is you average TPS military shooter, as it is FAR from that.
  10. Jun 28, 2012
    I was highly anticipating spec ops the line, after getting pushed back a couple years i was finally able to pick my copy up and the game proved too define "short and sweet" to say the least. I put emphasis on "short" more so than sweet because the games campaign played on the hardest setting lasted about 6 hours (the "33rd" setting , before unlocking the hardest setting "fubar"or :insanity). The campaign consists of 15 short chapters and an epilogue which is hardly worth mentioning , the check points seemed to have no purpose other than the purpose of having them, short chapters.. I will get back into "short" in a bit but as far as the game itself, well it was pretty solid for the most part and i will break it down..
    Graphics= were sometimes stunning, no game breaking visuals by way of technical elements but the scenery which this game takes place can be a very pretty one, blending some eye popping colors along w/ nice set pieces such as a huge fish tank palace which even the floor is built w/ glass water and fish were one which were very fun for me to look at but at the same time in this day and age texture blurs of faces , yes faces, have no place in gaming 2012.. Its a slap to the face of the pretty set pieces , designed w/ care just to have blurred out faces, guns etc to be placed right in front of them..So there were some great visuals and then there were some wtf was that visuals but the latter didnt drown out the truely great designs, just made one think what yager was doing with all this extra time, obviously they didnt spend in the campaign dept..

Sound = was/is prob one of the highlights of this game, w/ smart guitar rifts to perfectly executed tunes which fit the theme/mood/chapter.. It was done very well, the lip syncing was decent and voices were top notch.

Gameplay = sometimes a developers can bring some fresh, bold ideas making an exp truly unique but this is where yager dropped the ball, THE SAND , they had something really special but didnt pursue it, just inserted a few scenes which were truly awesome and original and left them on the cutting floor it seems.. 3rd party shooter mechanics are somewhat like mass effect but also uncharted, i believe rolling or jumping is a must when grenades are a big part of the enemies offensive / defensive tactics, especially when the controls can feel very clumsy at times wanting to vault but only to stand out of cover to take an instant bullet of death to the head.. The switch cover/get out of cover, vault will frustrate at some point of the game, taking away the true feeling of "control" over walker..

Story = yes it was decent, but during the loading screens i would notice text which would read "do you feel like a hero" and "how many americans did you kill today" and this was a bit much after seeing it a 6th or 7th time, YES YAGER I GET IT, i am playing the game, i know what is unfolding before me..I dont want to spoil the game but a few of these texts were going a bit far, no not story dialogue, the text while waiting for the screen to load.. Some were far more offensive than what was going on in the game, the story and dialogue were almost original and did have some great dialogue between walker , adams and lugo (his comrades) and the story was a very solid one, but again as i mentioned w/ certain gameplay mechanics , they seemed to drop the ball when the score was clearly in their favor..

MP = multiplayer is very lackluster and almost spot on with the beta i played many many many months ago... unpolished and had potential.

END RESULT, i am tired of paying full price for a game which will last less than a half a day to finish BUT this one is worth playing and beating so rent it or wait until its used, play it beat it and take it back..
    I usually dont suggest such practices but im tired of the gaming industries practice of giving us the same old same old but for the price of a months phone bill.. This is worth playing, worth owning it is not but it couldve been.. Yager what have you guys been doing for the past couple years? Down scaling the campaign?,lol..Im not a big fan of being forced to put on highest setting only to get more than a few hours out of the campaign (killlzone 3 guilty as charged).. I tried to do just that after knowing the short length of this campaign but im only fooling myself, the game lasts longer only due to the more continues and its not because its more "challenging" its because more "mystery" bullets are on a string to the ones head.. With a day and age which free games are becoming not just "trendy" but also having more content as well as quality, well i must question buying retail unless its truely a no brainer, nut in this gen you just never know until the game is in your console/p.c.
    Its seems Yager had nil faith in sales of spec ops the line, a tad more effort and this would be a solid game.
  11. Jun 27, 2012
    Well, there's a lot to say about this game. It's not your run-of-the-mill shooter by any means; no, the game digs a lot deeper than just killing people. Half psychological thriller, half third-person shooter, Spec Ops will leave a lot to think about after you finish the game. There's multiple endings, and each of them is more horrific than the last. There are no good choices in Spec Ops, only bad choices, and worse choices. One good choice you can make, though, is buying the game.
    The only reason I rate this a 9 is because the multiplayer needs improvement.
  12. Dec 30, 2012
    If you are a third-person shooter fan, this is a must play. Excellent atmosphere and graphics. Guns feel great and the story is superb. Half way through and no gripes at all. There are not a lot of high-quality, third-person games on the market this year, so if you like that style this is an easy choice for a pickup. (I bought it used.) Save points are generous, cover system is good. Enjoyed the lead character. Only downside for some is it can be completed fairly quickly. But this is quality over quantity, in my opinion. Love it! Expand
  13. Jul 5, 2012
    It's like a dream come true. Finally a military shooter that actually has something to offer other than killing a bunch of dudes. If it was a bit more polished on the technical side and someone had indeed tested those damn controls we would be probably talking GOTY status over here...
  14. Sep 1, 2013
    Spec Ops: The Line is a unique game, a great game but makes some big shortfalls to make it the game that everyone seems to rave about.
    You play as Captain Martin Walker, the leader of a small reconnaissance team sent into a war torn Dubai to find and rescue any surviving members of the 33rd (a group of soldiers) and bring home a man of great importance, Colonel John Konrad, head of the
    33rd. Upon arriving in Dubai you are attacked by US soldiers who are quickly revealed to be the 33rd and so have to battle your way to Konrad as you believe he has gone corrupt and wishes to hold Dubai under his rule. However after putting you through many morally questionable circumstances you begin to wonder if what you are seeing is what is actually happening.
    Spec Ops: The Line is a middle finger to modern military shooters, there is no hero and some parts of the story are enough to make you stop playing because they question your humanity to such a level it becomes difficult to play.
    The game also looks and plays pretty good, but the gem is in the story with this one. The biggest problems are that if you have seen 'Apocalypse Now' or enough war films you can manage to piece together the story together pretty easily, nearly every event in the game has been seen before, it's just stringing them together in this way that makes it special.
  15. Oct 28, 2012
    Now, I don't usually give a 10 if the game isn't perfect or close to perfection, and this game is full of flaws, but I just feel like balancing out the average score, so here it is. It's a very haunting, visceral and real game. It's the most realistic game (in theming) I've ever played. Gameplay wise it's sub-par and generic, but that was the point. The point was to have overtly game-like play, stocked with genericness and cheap deaths, pushed through the filter of a seriously grim and haunting story, to emphasize how disconnected modern war shooters are from the real thing. It's unfair to say that the game is bad because it has a bad multi-player. Come on, don't do that. Don't perpetuate the idea that all shooters need multi-player. Did BioShock need it to be better? Did Half-Life? Did System Shock 2? Exactly, Spec Ops: The Line is up there. Go watch Extra Credits video on it, you will understand. Expand
  16. Aug 13, 2012
    I wasn't sure what to expect when I finally decided to pick up Spec Ops. I had avoided the spoiler casts and was waiting for it to go on sale, but I couldn't wait any longer. I had to find out what all the talk was about. This game delivered on every level. From the graphics and level design, to the fantastic story, Spec Ops is a must play.
    I finished the game in just under 6 hours
    (of play time), which is why I'm so confused about the critism that story took too long to develop. I felt the pace of the game to be excellent. The difficulty increased appropriately and the story moved along great. There were only a couple of frustrating moments where I died a LOT in the same place, but I never wanted to give up or put the controller down like I would have in other games.
    The most important thing about this game is the feel of it. It feels great! The controls are precise and shooting someone feels right. Not morally, physically. And having an abundance of weapons to choose from allows you to try a different pair almost every level.
    The choice is yours, and you HAVE to make one. Do you buy this game and have an amazing experience? Or do you pass on it, and miss out on the opportunity to witness what it could be like to lose your grasp of reality in the middle of a war zone.
  17. Aug 27, 2012
    Oh my God. I want to play the campaign again just to see what happens if I go the other way... but I don't really want to live it again. It's scary. This game scared me. All war shooter players should play this. If I never play another war shooter again, it might be too soon.
  18. Sep 1, 2013
    Beautiful art design+ Phenomenal acting + Good use of licensed soundtrack ( Jimmi Hendrix, The Black Angels and even a classical music piece ) + Very good story + A soul sucking experience that made me cross The Line '' - The cover system loves to piss you off sometimes during the final chapters - The difficulty jumps 200m high during the final chapters. F#$k YOU CHAPTER 14!!! )
    - Too Short Took me 9 hours on Suicide Mission
  19. Mar 24, 2013
    Gameplay-wise, this is your typical third-person shooter. Story-wise, this is far from your typical third-person shooter, and that's a good thing. If you're looking for a depiction of modern war that's a bit different and probably a bit more accurate then look no further.
  20. Jun 28, 2013
    I believe that absolutely everything in this game was done deliberately. Everything from the slightly wonky cover mechanics to the beautifully layered story, everything in this game has a purpose, and that purpose is to show the player what they are doing with no sugar coating or softness. The absolutely sublime single player campaign works with the player on so many levels that it's hard to describe without playing. This game is not for people who want to be happy. This game is for people who want a deep, well thought out and meaningful insight into shooters, and video game violence in general. If you can wrap your head around the story, then shrug and say "I'm gonna go play Manhunt now," seek help. This story will, hopefully, show you your actions on a silver platter, then remind you you had fun. The pure thought of everything this game has to offer is staggering. The constant reminders of the video game-y-ness of it all only increase the meaning. You need to play this game, and you need to pay attention. If you are not invested in the story, you won't get anything out of it. You need to listen and be immersed, and this game will change you. Tenouttaten! Expand
  21. Aug 30, 2013
    You will probably think the game is boring at the beginning ,but when you get to the first choices then it really begin to shine. The story is what saves it and the twist at the end is awesome. I really enjoyed it and it is worth buying.
  22. Apr 10, 2013
    First things first, this game has some of the most mediocre gameplay of any shooter I've played in recent memory. Everything about it feels generic. The weapons feel like they have no weight to them, and it's honestly kind of hard to detect if you're even hitting your enemies with gun fire. As far as the story goes, it is very Apocalypse Now. Parts of it have been interesting exploring the morality of war, but the writing just seems to fall flat and you don't end up really caring about the characters or the horrible situations they get themselves into. Expand
  23. Aug 21, 2013
    I had seen the bad reviews for this game far more often than the good, and had low expectations for this game.
    Yes, it is another third person shooter, with generic mechanics, and it tries a squad commanding thing, which is fully functional, but is never really needed.
    Though the story, and the setting, is really what saves this game from the masses of Army of Two and Operation Raccoon
    City. It deals with heavy topics including Heroism, Trust, sanity, doing what's right etc. While the choices in the game are fairly limited and have no lasting impact, you still often have to stop and really think out your choice. The game's endings have a large impact on you and leave you stunned. (I have only played through once so far and do not know any other endings, but I'd assume they're of the same quality)
    Overall this is a brilliant narrative-driven game with breathtaking visuals and hard choices. For all those who complain about the generic mechanics and give it a 0, play it through fully and see for yourself why everyone else loves it.
  24. Sep 7, 2013
    Only play this pile if you enjoy getting stuck to cover, enemies that spam you with grenades, the worst shooting mechanic, and clumsy controls. Its hard to understand the developers could have been happy with these issues.
  25. Oct 5, 2013
    Spec Ops: The Line is not just another shooter, it tells a deep story and puts you in situations that no human being should endure. The gameplay is some of the best ive ever seen in a 3rd-Person-Shooter. The multiplayer is solid, the graphics are good. This game was really good that i had to get the plantinum for it.
  26. Jul 4, 2012
    So, I'm just starting chapter 7 in the single player(there are 13 chapters), and I am really enjoying it. The story is the big draw here and it really is a good one. The graphics are good with nice sand effects. The sound stands out with realistic sound effects and good music throughout. The gun play is good too where it really feels like you have a powerful weapon in your hands. AI is also good. They move around and attack in different ways. Your team performs well enough. The multiplayer on the other hand, was hit and miss, at least in the beginning. You have all the standard stuff like perks and such, ranking up as you go along. One disappointment is that there is only 6 maps. That's not enough. The other thing that was extremely bothersome, at least in the beginning was playing with poor weapons. The accuracy of these guns were beyond poor and to get the crosshair on an enemy was difficult to say the least and almost, at the time, a game breaker. But, if you stick with it, get better weapons with greater accuracy and get better perks, I'm having a lot of fun with the mp now. It just took time. Now, I'm happy with my purchase. I wasn't so much about a week ago. The mp was a letdown at the time, but now, it's much, much better. Now, if 2k could only fix the disconnect problems after a game is finished..... Expand
  27. Aug 7, 2012
    A tight third person shooter that does little in the way of gameplay to innovate. This being said it is still fun, and is a tough game to finish on the two harder difficulties. Intuitive controls make the game a pleasure to play albeit fairly simple with basic squad commands and fairly linear progression.

The real draw of this game is its story line. Though it does have its share of
    "OOH-RAH! Semper-fi" gung-ho heroism and dialogue to match it is mostly a fairly thought provocative game, something rare in a shooter. At the worst bits you'll cringe when one of the characters says something like "Just be thankful for the extra target practise." But at it's best it boast a stunning story line full of twists and will have you questioning your own morality. Expand
  28. Feb 10, 2013
    Spec Ops: The Line is a fantastic game. The third person mechanics are relatively antiquated but the combat is still fun and satisfying. The helicopter sequences (which usually drag in other action games) are particularly fun and impressive. What elevates Spec Ops far above the usual shooter are it's plot, atmosphere and location. Firstly, the ruined Dubai that hosts the game is absolutely brilliant. It's chasms, skyscrapers and sandstorms impress immensely and help further the gulf between Spec Ops and other shooters. The plot is wonderfully written and acted, giving you a very compelling reason to push on through the game. I'd like to get more into why the plot is great but I don't want to ruin things with spoilers. I will tell you this, though. Spec Ops: The Line is as close to 'profound' as a military shooter has ever come. It's conclusion had me reeling and thinking about it for hours afterwards. Due to it's inscrutable depths, Spec Ops is a game that begs to be replayed and re-experienced. Excellent stuff! Expand
  29. Jul 8, 2012
    Incredible storyline, the Apocalypse Now for the next generation. However, I feel that I've already spoken too much. Gameplay is fantastic and a great story. Do not miss this game. However, one major gripe I had for the whole game was the controls. A game should be fun, the difficulty from the challenge on completing the game and each chapter. A game's challenge should not come from the cumbersome Console controls which Spec Ops The Line is from. Instead of life and death struggles, you'll have controlitis struggles, because your very life depends on whether you double clicked the same key for various commands. I understand Consoles have limited buttons, but PCs do not. Once again, Developers fail to polish what is probably one of the better games released in 2012. And for that, what would have been a perfect 10 is now an 8.

>Edit< While reviewing this, I made an error and reviewed the PS3 version instead of the PC version. However, did not realize that the PS3 was separated from the PC review. Moreover, I left the PS3 Review as is, without properly ranking it or reviewing it. My mistake. My Score has always been an 8 and not a Zero.
  30. Jul 27, 2012
    In my honest opinion, one of 2012's best surprises. I just can't believe how much fun this game actually is. Great graphics, interesting atmosphere, tight gameplay, PHENOMENAL voice acting (main character's voice is actually the same guy who plays Uncharted's Nathan Drake), awesome story. I was not quite aware of this title until very recently and, after watching a couple of videos, finally decided to give it a chance. Great, great game. MUST NOT BE MISSED. Expand

1. Aug 20, 2012
    Spec Ops: The Line is a solid, action packed shooter that sets itself apart by demonstrating the brutal realities of war. The fragile lines of morality are easily blurred, and sometimes, only visible when crossed.
  2. While it's marred by frequent visual pop-in and frustrating checkpoint placement, Spec Ops is nevertheless a pretty significant achievement. [Sept 2012, p.79]
  3. Where Spec Ops succeeds – just – is with its themes of the end justifying the means, the ravages of war on a man's psyche and its portrayal of extreme violence. This is simultaneously its downfall as the team haven't quite nailed the execution until the final moments, where the full extent of what's happened over the last eight or so hours dawns on the protagonists. We wish Yager had teased and fleshed out the concepts sooner than leaving it to the beguiling endings; we doubt many players will bother reaching the credits. A year and half ago we might have been more impressed with The Line, but its poor presentation and boring shootouts completely let it down. [August 2012, p70]