Sports Champions PlayStation 3

• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Sep 7, 2010
7.9

1. Sep 20, 2010
    Sports Champions is a sign of the times. It wasn't that long ago that many in the gaming industry panned motion controls as a gimmick that wasn't meant to last. Of course, that was when Nintendo was the only company supporting motion controls. Now in 2010, Sony debuts Sports Champions as the "killer app" for Move. Ultimately, it's their version of WiiSports. I have mixed feelings about theSports Champions is a sign of the times. It wasn't that long ago that many in the gaming industry panned motion controls as a gimmick that wasn't meant to last. Of course, that was when Nintendo was the only company supporting motion controls. Now in 2010, Sony debuts Sports Champions as the "killer app" for Move. Ultimately, it's their version of WiiSports. I have mixed feelings about the title. It definitely shows off Move and what Sony can accomplish with motion on the PS3. Even though the motion controls were as good as WiiMotion Plus and in some cases a little better, at times it did get wonky with erratic movements when the players (myself and my gf) weren't moving much. Also, the number of times you have to calibrate Move for events can grow tiresome. The number of events are limited which is unfortunate but some are truly enjoyable, Bocce and Archery were great fun but Gladiator and Volleyball just weren't as good as they could have been. The trophy support is appreciated as are the LeaderBoards but at the end of the day, Sports Champions just felt like a Wii HD title in PS3 clothing. There just isn't enough content and it just doesn't offer anything beyond what we've already experienced with Nintendo's offerings. Is this the killer app that Move needed to justify the purchase of the controller/eyetoy/attachments? For the cost of admission, no it is not. Expand
  2. Nov 13, 2012
    Sports Champions wants to deal against Wii Sport and It succeeds in many ways. Fun mini games, great visuals and smart AI make this game worth to play. It would be more addictive if it would have an online , but fortunately it has a multiplayer. But mini games get boring fast, that's a negative point! (7.3)
  3. Feb 23, 2015
    This game is graphically impressive and the controls feel really responsive but I got really bored of the games after an hour or so. My favorite game was the archery one.
  4. May 18, 2015
  5. Sep 22, 2010
    This is my first review, but I thought Move was good enough and had few enough reviews to register. Move and sports champions is what the wii promised to be; it is amazing. More I play it, better I like it. Specifically, Gladiator Duel is particularly fun. It is truly 1:1 tracking, including the force/speed of your movements. To do well in the higher level actually requires a significantThis is my first review, but I thought Move was good enough and had few enough reviews to register. Move and sports champions is what the wii promised to be; it is amazing. More I play it, better I like it. Specifically, Gladiator Duel is particularly fun. It is truly 1:1 tracking, including the force/speed of your movements. To do well in the higher level actually requires a significant amount of physical effort. My only complaints are the lack of depth (experience not physical dimension) in the game and the fact the controllers seem to loss their calibration over time and needed recalibrated, sometimes mid game. Also, you miss about 80 percent of the experience without the second controller. Definitely worth the price though. After seeing the capabilities, I canâ Collapse

1. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Jan 13, 2011
    Great party game offers six mini-games to test your skills with PS Move control stick. Lasting fun guaranteed both in solo and in multiplayer modes of play. Lack of online play is inexcusable though. [Issue#197]
  2. Jan 4, 2011
    Sports Champions may seem devoid of personality, but spending some time with it shows that it is a deliberate, well-crafted piece of software. Those who have been waiting for a true realization of the potential of motion control can finally exchange their smoldering torches for florescent pink wands.
  3. Jan 2, 2011
    If nothing else, Sports Champions is perhaps one of the few Move launch titles that showcase the accuracy and potential of PlayStation's Motion controller. Though lacking in many departments, it provides a robust and enjoyable motion-based sports experience.