Sports Champions PlayStation 3

• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Sep 7, 2010
7.9

1. Sep 20, 2010
    Sports Champions is a sign of the times. It wasn't that long ago that many in the gaming industry panned motion controls as a gimmick that wasn't meant to last. Of course, that was when Nintendo was the only company supporting motion controls. Now in 2010, Sony debuts Sports Champions as the "killer app" for Move. Ultimately, it's their version of WiiSports. I have mixed feelings about theSports Champions is a sign of the times. It wasn't that long ago that many in the gaming industry panned motion controls as a gimmick that wasn't meant to last. Of course, that was when Nintendo was the only company supporting motion controls. Now in 2010, Sony debuts Sports Champions as the "killer app" for Move. Ultimately, it's their version of WiiSports. I have mixed feelings about the title. It definitely shows off Move and what Sony can accomplish with motion on the PS3. Even though the motion controls were as good as WiiMotion Plus and in some cases a little better, at times it did get wonky with erratic movements when the players (myself and my gf) weren't moving much. Also, the number of times you have to calibrate Move for events can grow tiresome. The number of events are limited which is unfortunate but some are truly enjoyable, Bocce and Archery were great fun but Gladiator and Volleyball just weren't as good as they could have been. The trophy support is appreciated as are the LeaderBoards but at the end of the day, Sports Champions just felt like a Wii HD title in PS3 clothing. There just isn't enough content and it just doesn't offer anything beyond what we've already experienced with Nintendo's offerings. Is this the killer app that Move needed to justify the purchase of the controller/eyetoy/attachments? For the cost of admission, no it is not. Expand
  2. Nov 13, 2012
    Sports Champions wants to deal against Wii Sport and It succeeds in many ways. Fun mini games, great visuals and smart AI make this game worth to play. It would be more addictive if it would have an online , but fortunately it has a multiplayer. But mini games get boring fast, that's a negative point! (7.3)
  3. Feb 23, 2015
    This game is graphically impressive and the controls feel really responsive but I got really bored of the games after an hour or so. My favorite game was the archery one.
  4. May 18, 2015
  5. Sep 28, 2010
    This is a fun game. I'm not into sports games but this one has managed to keep me in front of the screen for over 15 hours so far! Gladiator and Archery are excellent with 2 controllers, single or multi-player. Table tennis is good and accurate but it get's a bit confusing in 2-player mode (you get used to it, tho). Beach Volleyball is OK; nothing to write home about but easy enough for myThis is a fun game. I'm not into sports games but this one has managed to keep me in front of the screen for over 15 hours so far! Gladiator and Archery are excellent with 2 controllers, single or multi-player. Table tennis is good and accurate but it get's a bit confusing in 2-player mode (you get used to it, tho). Beach Volleyball is OK; nothing to write home about but easy enough for my games-illiterate friends to learn within a few minutes. Bocce and Disc Golf seem OK but they are not my type of games. I can see the appeal and understand that the technology is impresivelly accurate but these two games seem a bit too "turn-based" for my taste. Overall, this is a good compilation of sport games and an excellent showcase of what the Playstation Move can do. Even if you only enjoy half of the games, it's still worth the money as you will be spending quite a long time going through all the champions and challenges and the multiplayer modes are very good. Collapse

1. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Jan 13, 2011
    Great party game offers six mini-games to test your skills with PS Move control stick. Lasting fun guaranteed both in solo and in multiplayer modes of play. Lack of online play is inexcusable though. [Issue#197]
  2. Jan 4, 2011
    Sports Champions may seem devoid of personality, but spending some time with it shows that it is a deliberate, well-crafted piece of software. Those who have been waiting for a true realization of the potential of motion control can finally exchange their smoldering torches for florescent pink wands.
  3. Jan 2, 2011
    If nothing else, Sports Champions is perhaps one of the few Move launch titles that showcase the accuracy and potential of PlayStation's Motion controller. Though lacking in many departments, it provides a robust and enjoyable motion-based sports experience.