SSX PlayStation 3

6.8

1. Dec 26, 2012
    This is a very disappointing game. Personally, I always liked SSX: On Tour because it brought an open world element to SSX while keeping the other kinds of events. SSX is a completely closed world. It would be cool if they had half as many mountains, but each one was it's own open world that you had to clear to get to the next one. Also, the game gets fairly monotonous after awhile becauseThis is a very disappointing game. Personally, I always liked SSX: On Tour because it brought an open world element to SSX while keeping the other kinds of events. SSX is a completely closed world. It would be cool if they had half as many mountains, but each one was it's own open world that you had to clear to get to the next one. Also, the game gets fairly monotonous after awhile because there are only a few types of events. In comparison, On Tour, which was a PS2 game, had many different types of events. The addition of areas where you can fall off the track is stupid. To me, part of the fun of SSX was trying to recover when you ran into a tree or fell when you went a little too far with the tricks. Now, with parts where you fall off the track it takes a lot of the fun out of the game. Another thing that is frustrating with this game is how dependent you are on boost to win races. Instead of the race being about taking good lines staying low to the ground and going fast, it's about trying to as many tricks as you can so you can get boost. Without boost you can't even stay in the race. Another thing I noticed during races is that you hardly see your opponents outside of the very first part of the race. There's too many different routes on the track and not enough opponents going against you. I remember how fun it was in On Tour when your opponent would try to pass you and you would punch him to the ground. Another puzzling thing about SSX is the inability to create your own character. You are forced to choose from pre-made characters. This game doesn't have the same flow of the old SSX games, instead of a 10 to 20 run, you have these little short 2 to 3 minute runs. I can't remember how many times in On Tour I would start at the top of the mountain and ski or snowboard (oh yeah, no skiing in this one either) all the way down, trying to check out every part of the mountain. If you have a short attention span and like fairly easy games this one is for you. Expand
  2. Mar 5, 2012
    this game would be okay if it wasn't called SSX, a lot of the things SSX was known for have been removed and the menu interface is just a mess.
  3. Mar 7, 2012
    This ruined every good memory of the series I ever had. Instead of a fun, wide open adrenaline rush to share with friends, you'll spend all your time either speeding out of control into unseen bottomless pits, or flying backwards up the walls. The entire environment is there to trap you, turn you over, or disappear you into oblivion. I would say thank goodness for the reverse feature, butThis ruined every good memory of the series I ever had. Instead of a fun, wide open adrenaline rush to share with friends, you'll spend all your time either speeding out of control into unseen bottomless pits, or flying backwards up the walls. The entire environment is there to trap you, turn you over, or disappear you into oblivion. I would say thank goodness for the reverse feature, but since the rest of the game continues without you it's just a matter of giving up yet MORE time to the turns-on-a-dime AI. Speaking of turning, the control is similar to racing down a hill in a red wagon, with the handle BEHIND you. You'll be all over the place. You need speed, speed, speed to win, but using any will quickly fly you into a dark crevasse, or up a snow column leaving you facing the wrong way with no means to turn around.

I strongly regret that there are no game return policies because I hate. Hate. HATE this game. After I bought and loved the last 3 installments.

This, this is why I pirate.
  4. Mar 4, 2012
    I loved ssx series untill now. This game is only frustration after frustration.
    The shop, is a joke, you cannot change the skins of your characters. On solo mode, you select a character, but you will play 75% with others...
    When you used to try the biggest score, or the best time, you now just try to avoid falling of cliffs. and that just a few exemple of what the game misses. This game
    I loved ssx series untill now. This game is only frustration after frustration.
    and that just a few exemple of what the game misses.

This game is frustrating and boring. I am so disapointed :'(
  5. Feb 28, 2012
    Being a long time fan of the SSX franchise; this game is a big disappointment. With so many issues, from control bugs and sensitivity, to the speed of the game, to reducing the skill gap of the game. You rarely feel in control and the game becomes frustrating and boring very quickly. As there is no traditional multiplayer or splitscreen; there is not even any real social interactionBeing a long time fan of the SSX franchise; this game is a big disappointment. With so many issues, from control bugs and sensitivity, to the speed of the game, to reducing the skill gap of the game. You rarely feel in control and the game becomes frustrating and boring very quickly. As there is no traditional multiplayer or splitscreen; there is not even any real social interaction between players anymore. Expand
  6. Feb 28, 2012
    This game is garbage. You can literally win a game by not touching the controller! You have to actually TRY to crash or fail. This game is a testament to the hand holding in modern console games.

Go search Youtube for "SSX no controller" to see what I am talking about.
  7. Nov 28, 2012
    This game is terrible. Do not buy. The reason we love to play skateboarding and snowboarding games is that you can't die. In real life you can. And in SSX you can. Sure, you can rewind, but in many cases you'll be at such a disadvantage that you'll just have to start over anyway. Some reviews on here have lauded the soundtrack, which is admittedly decent. But every time you restartThis game is terrible. Do not buy. The reason we love to play skateboarding and snowboarding games is that you can't die. In real life you can. And in SSX you can. Sure, you can rewind, but in many cases you'll be at such a disadvantage that you'll just have to start over anyway. Some reviews on here have lauded the soundtrack, which is admittedly decent. But every time you restart a drop/level, it restarts the currently playing song. This isn't too bad unless you get stuck trying a race over and over. Then it's infuriating. I loved Coolboarders, Amped, and every other SSX title. This one is just frustrating.
    Part of the frustration stems from the World Tour mode, which forces you to use a Level 1 character at every new stop. You want to level up and build an epic character, but no. Back to Level 1. This also means that every course in World Tour mode must be completable by a low-level character. Therefore, the game relies on stupid death traps to make you memorize the lines if you want to survive the run.

Read Mongrel's review, too. Try before you buy.
  8. Dpk
    Apr 24, 2012
    Less fun than SSX 3, technically poor and the most important think : no offline multiplayer !
    Many uselees gameplay futur feature (cold avalanche ice ...)
    This game is very hard.
    Very good OST.
    SSX 4 must be better
  9. Dec 30, 2014
    What? How does this game have near perfect scores from nearly every site? Did they play the first one?! Alright let me start off with the good aspects of this game. I love the fact that you can earn money, buy better boards that provide stat bonuses, the unique gear that's used for special purposes like the wingsuit is awesome, there are tons of online global events that constantly giveWhat? How does this game have near perfect scores from nearly every site? Did they play the first one?! Alright let me start off with the good aspects of this game. I love the fact that you can earn money, buy better boards that provide stat bonuses, the unique gear that's used for special purposes like the wingsuit is awesome, there are tons of online global events that constantly give you new challenges competing against other players and the music is great. If you don't have music they have a decent selection that you can customize and turn off songs you don't like. The graphics are great and as any SSX game should be the tricks look insane.

Okay on to the bad... get some pizza rolls are something this is going to be long. There's one major aspect of the game that didn't make the list of good things. Probably the most important... not probably THE most important aspect is of course the controls. It's a snowboarding game that involves racing and doing tricks. It's competitive and because of this the game needed good controls. But the controls are horrible and the game does not feel as smooth as the original SSX. They tried to make the game more realistic... why? This is SSX not Shawn White's Pro Snowboarding or 1080. There was a trick in the old game where the rider would take the board off his feet spin it on his head like a helicopter, rotate his body to be spinning on his back kicking his legs out (break dance move) then proceed to do the worm.... on a snowboard. There is nothing realistic about that. That is the most bat sh** insane thing I've ever seen and it kicked *ss. This wasn't a blurred line between the realistic sport of snowboarding and video gamey mechanics. It was full blown crazy on a snowboard.

When you take that and try to make it realistic you end up with a glitchy, broken messed up snowboarding game. The riders in the new SSX really enjoy hitting trees and wall because it doesn't matter what angle you hit the jump, you see that tree over to the left? You're hitting that... and there's nothing you can do about it. It's like they have magnets in the objects. Sometimes you can land a trick upside down while still holding the trick button, sometimes you'll stop a trick long before you hit the ground and end up crashing anyways. Sometimes you'll make contact with a rock, a tree or a wall and your character will be sucked inside of it unable to move as they clip into the object. You'll have to rewind which will sometimes take away the score you were building up other times it won't. Sometimes you'll veer off towards a rail and despite not being on it your character will seem like he's in the grinding stance but pressing anything will result in a crash. Sometimes you'll hold the right trigger in the air to tweak a move but doing so will boost your character in mid air.

This is where someone would just say "git gud" but honestly I don't need too. The game is too easy. All you need to do is exploit the game which I think it wants you too? I've gotten in diamond in every race I've been in on global events... despite the fact that I'm a noob. Oh but I've played the original a lot so I'm experienced right? Wrong... this is no where near similar to the original SSX. Every race is simply; get Tricky find rails and when on the ground hold the nose press. Your tricky will not stop in the middle of a trick, so as long as you keep one going you can have infinite boost. Nose press should slow you down but with the boost it doesn't.

In the original one you had complete control over your character. See a rail coming up to your right? Want to slightly move over to get on it? Too bad you flew off to the right hovering past the rail and went straight up a 90% wall! Want to hit a jump but pop up to the left? Nope you popped over to the right because there was a rail there and the game auto adjust you to a rail in mid air. Some rails require you to hold left trigger to grind, others just let you ride up to it. But doing so is dangerous because left trigger also takes you off a rail.. ? What...?! Yeah figure that out. There's no option to control the screwed up camera. If you want to do a nose press the buttons for that also do tricks. So how do you go from a trick in mid air to a nose press? Get lucky... sometimes you'll land and do the nose press other times the game will think you're trying to do a trick despite just landing on the ground and you crash. Auto adjusting is the worst... it shouldn't be in the game. If you're near a rail and you don't want to get on it move to the opposite side of the track or you'll just be vacuumed up to it. And changing the controls to classic SSX doesn't help much because the classic controls worked well on the classic game... not this one.

This is why I gave it a low score, you can't control the character. And controlling is the most important aspect. Graphics, inventory, items, music.... none of that will make up for the gameplay. My suggestion? Play the original.
  10. Nov 28, 2013
    Buy SSX Tricky for the PS2 Instead.

Buy SSX Tricky for the PS2 Instead.

The game simply isn't fun they stripped out everything that made the PS2 version great and added annoying unskipable events, like a forced training mode which cannot be skipped using a new control mechanism... utter jank, then once you have passed the worthless forced training you can switch the the decent PS2 control scheme but it's not quite the same. The "select" button will no longer reset you onto the track that useful feature has been stripped out, the soundtrack which used to be upbeat and fun has been replaced by a rap and r'n'b soundtrack which is dull and does not fit the game at all. Want to pick your favourite character and go through career mode with them? well you can't because that has been stripped out too, you have to play the jank story mode starting off as Zoe and playing different characters as you progress... NOT FUN, also why does a snowboarding game need a story mode you ask? well it doesn't and it's borderline infantile. Want to play offline so EA doesn't spy on you? well prepare for them to endlessly ask you to sign in when you pick a game mode. SSX stands for Super Snow Cross right? nope not any more they changed that too...... In short everything that was awesome about the PS2 game no longer exists, if you want to play an excellent and fun snowboarding game with an arcade feel go buy SSX Tricky for the PS2, You will not regret it, if on the other hand you have bought this abomination return it for a refund.

1. May 4, 2012
    SSX is a great reboot of the series. While the game has some shortcomings, it does provide an amazing adrenaline rush and sense of speed you rarely experience in other titles.
  2. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Apr 11, 2012
    [P]layers won't get much out of SSX until they put a lot of time into each of the game's courses – packed with branching paths, high ridges, and suicide leaps – and work out a custom plan of attack. Without one, SSX can deteriorate into a discombobulating frazzle of questions like: where am I going? Is this the fastest way down? And how come the CPU is 15 seconds ahead of me? While the required exploration means a tonne of replay value, it also means newbies will have to board up a hockey stick-shaped difficulty curve to feel in the game. [April 2012, p70]
  3. Play UK
    Mar 28, 2012
    Frustrates and infuriates as poor design decisions smash into each other with alarming regularity. A real letdown, given the series it comes from, but in actuality this is as close to an SSX game as it is Tetris. [Issue#216, p.70]