SSX PlayStation 3

6.8

1. Mar 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Been a huge fan of the SSX franchise, even though i only owned the third one, which is the one i will be comparing the new game to in this review. So basically everything looks and sounds good - The SSX soundtracks always amaze me. The game feature 3 modes; race it, trick it, and survive it. The new controls were a bit bothering, so i changed them to classical. The problem with this is that you then have to find out how to break out the flying suit and how to do the signature tricks (Signature is done by holding R1, R2, L1, L2 on the PS3, and you just have to hold X while in the air to fly). I liked how you get to play all the characters during the deadly descent solo campaign, which sadly can be played to an end in 4-6 if you've played the game before. It's not because the game is easy, because it's not. Some of the descents are bothering as f**k while some are easy as pie. A bit into the game you get to know the controls decently and this is probably also the point when you reach the more difficult drops, where you get to fall into crevasses and die if you do not hit the rewind button, which will set you back in time. Sadly the AI and other players are not affected by this feature, which makes the game even more difficult. Even though the survival drops are the focus of this game, they are more or less just something you want to get over with, because most of them are a pain in the butt, and not very entertaining in the good old SSX way - they're simply just about surviving. To compensate for this flaw, the game features gear which you will need to complete the deadly descents - such as armor, wing suit, headlamps and so on.

Not being able to play spit-screen is the biggest disappointment of the game, and in the online mode, you only get to go against other players ghosts in race mode and it never feels like you actually interact with others. Very little character customization is another big disappointment; you can only change you suit skins, and while this only result in different colors, you can get special suits that come with perks such as trick bonus or big head or big hands perk, but the last two are only for sheer looks. On the other hand you can now ride to your own music, which is kinda cool. Conclusion:
    A great game, but missing features makes it less great. Also, you need to know the tracks alright, if you want to have decent fun. This game is meant to focus on survival, than actual competition, which were the focus in the other games. The insane tricks are still included and thank god, they still feel just as awesome. The element of adrenaline is also still there, but it's being interrupted by the instantaneously appearing crevasses which will end your run, if you do not use the rewind feature. So if you can live with no split-screen, bothering crevasses and no customization then this game is for you. But don't expect a better SSX3/SSX Tricky, because its not.

Pros: Major improvements in looks and sound, controls can be set to classical, if you're oldschool.

Cons: No split-screen, No customization, No interaction with other players.
  2. Mar 4, 2012
    No multiplayer. 4 hour game with no live multiplayer component. Not much to do except run the same events over and over... not worth the cash. Decent rental.
  3. Mar 9, 2012
    I just can't find anything enjoyable about this game. It's average in every way and right when I start to feel 'in the zone', 5 seconds later something happens that reminds me that i'm not playing a good game. I was on a roll of great vid game purchases until I bought this. Oh well, the goo0d times can't last.
  4. Mar 2, 2012
    Massive disappointment, ssx3 was one of my all time favourite games but this has absolutely non of that ssx flavour. I seem to spend more time watching load screens than playing, gone are the 20 minute free roams. They are replaced by super short 2 to 3 minute unconnected little stages, barley enough time to get into a flow. The survive it sections are huge exercise in frustration,Massive disappointment, ssx3 was one of my all time favourite games but this has absolutely non of that ssx flavour. I seem to spend more time watching load screens than playing, gone are the 20 minute free roams. They are replaced by super short 2 to 3 minute unconnected little stages, barley enough time to get into a flow. The survive it sections are huge exercise in frustration, continually dropping into holes or off the edge of mountain is zero fun for me.

Probably a great game for new comers but long time series fans will left feeling that this isn't ssx. Its pretty insane to think i enjoy a game thats almost 9 years old to this.

On the plus side visuals are great but visuals dont make a great game :-(
  5. Mar 15, 2012
    I am thrilled to be playing SSX again. My girlfriend used to enjoy watching me play the first game, now as my wife, she watches me play with our children. I am having a great time, the game is much improved. Although I found the Wingsuit to be the biggest buzz kill since the RTS element of Brutal Legend. I went from ripping up every run I unlocked to rapid, frequent, winged death. The factI am thrilled to be playing SSX again. My girlfriend used to enjoy watching me play the first game, now as my wife, she watches me play with our children. I am having a great time, the game is much improved. Although I found the Wingsuit to be the biggest buzz kill since the RTS element of Brutal Legend. I went from ripping up every run I unlocked to rapid, frequent, winged death. The fact that it is a requirement for some runs makes it even more frustrating to me. You may adapt to it more quickly than I did but the Wingsuit feature detracted substantially from my experience. Expand
  6. May 10, 2012
    The easiest way to describe this game is mediocre, absolutely everything is filled with a resounding "meh" feeling. The music is bland and repetitive, the tracks are mostly "snowy mountains" which I understand seems odd but this brings me to my big issue.

Ssx has been renowned for is colorful characters and tracks and the crazy over the top tricks. This game fails to live up to that legacy. Everything is hyper realistic, the characters wear snow gear, and race down slopes, even the uber tricks are lame. Its just a lifeless copy. If you want a snowboarding simulation then this is to cartoony, and this has none of the appeal of the ssx games of old, might as well be Shaun white.

4 hour campaign, forgettable story, no character, even their faces are dull and lifeless. And my favorite thing, the races have "adaptive ai" which means you get a gold medal at 2 minutes and 12 seconds but lose a bronze at 1'12 in the same stage. Its frustrating, and bland.
  7. Sep 16, 2013
    This game is ruined by the dozens of jumps where you don't know if the direction you're steering for will send your boarder off the mountain... I never become frustrated by earlier SSX games, because the levels were designed for max fun. Here, the levels are designed from real-world mountain data, so there's little 'gamey' about them. It's just unfair to the player to have sudden "ohThis game is ruined by the dozens of jumps where you don't know if the direction you're steering for will send your boarder off the mountain... I never become frustrated by earlier SSX games, because the levels were designed for max fun. Here, the levels are designed from real-world mountain data, so there's little 'gamey' about them. It's just unfair to the player to have sudden "oh woops, you failed!" five minutes into a race. I don't care much about the lack of local multiplayer. The online highscore thing is kind of decent enough. But those levels! They are just game-breaking some places. Also, no new game modes or anything. It's just "race this, out-trick that". The presentation is a mixture of really awesome (graphics are great, everything about the game is smooth) and cheapy (character overview is just a bunch of drawings, and equipment also a bunch of small drawings. No nice 3d presentation of your character with the new gear)... And all the funny gear from SSX 3 is gone. In that game, I unlocked a gorilla mask and a boomblaster. That was FUN.. It made the game seem grand and worthwhile... This time around, there's just the levels to unlock, and a few good gimmicks to keep things fresh (the wingsuit is brilliant, so is the solar panel) Oh and the avalanche levels had me screaming out loud with joy.. They looked so good and played so well. Actually, I'll up the score from 5 to 6 because of the avalanche levels.. and the wingsuit. Expand
  8. Mar 14, 2012
    6 is a generous score considering how this release pales in comparison to SSX3. But im glad i got a taste of what used to be a major contributor to my misspent youth. As most of you will have experienced many years ago, SSX3 was an epicly beautiful game - but more importantly the game had character. Will describe my initial impressions in point form:

-I boot up SSX, expecting some cool

-I boot up SSX, expecting some cool intro video assuring me that this is going to be ALOT of fun. Nothing.
    -All good, i press the START button and make my way through the game menu system..immediately i notice a very dull menu layout.
    -Hm, why cant i cant i select Psymon? Maybe i still have to unlock characters.
    -I realize the characters are mountain specific. Static story driven. Meh.
    -I can barely make out what my board or character kit look like, everything is very concept arty thumb-nailed 2d. I also have 40" of real estate and your squishing this into a tiny ugly clunky little window.

So Initial impressions aside, the game was highly enjoyable for the first 2 hours of gameplay, nostalgia set in whilst executing all the insane tricky moves. Alas i soon started to realize this game was alot more about precision and being reserved. And relative to the freedom one had in SSX3, this was a tiny corridor, a very pretty corridor, but nonetheless still a corridor...filled with highly annoying pitfalls and crevices. And the rewind time feature, which i imagine was created for this annoyance, just further enrages you. I cursed ALOT playing this game, which i dont remember doing much of during the previous title. Anywho, as you move along through the different mountains you have certain gear options which will help you survive that mountains unique dangers. This was a dumb idea EA, you morons. The only mountain/gear combo i enjoyed was Patagonia with the wing suits. Wing suit = huge hang time, damn fine idea. You should have simply expanded and refined this single idea. The rest are bordering on full retard, not fun at all.

In a nutshell, they shouldve stuck with the original formula of freedom and fun, coupled with the massively charismatic tracks and characters. Like my review, EA half baked this, and it is clearly evident that it had potential to be epic. I advise the project lead to go and actually play SSX3 to get an idea of what the game shouldve felt like. Too bad theres no crappy real life rewind function eh?

Till the next release.
  9. Apr 29, 2012
    When I found out that the SSX series was finally returning, I was incredibly excited. After playing all of the other games, I was relishing the opportunity to to play the series once again. However overall I felt this disappointing. The general game play itself isn't the problem. The new control scheme I was particularly impressed with, and was simple but also enjoyable to use. However IWhen I found out that the SSX series was finally returning, I was incredibly excited. After playing all of the other games, I was relishing the opportunity to to play the series once again. However overall I felt this disappointing. The general game play itself isn't the problem. The new control scheme I was particularly impressed with, and was simple but also enjoyable to use. However I do think that tricks are rather easy to perform, and I just ended up with mashing with the analogue stick and other buttons to perform the tricks. I also found the new features brought into the game such as wing packs, and ice picks a good idea, but was not used enough in the game, which is something to work on. Finally I also found the maps were well designed, and impressive considering they were mapped from real-world locations.

The main issue with this game is that although some people may consider it innovative and different I think the multiplayer aspect of the game was a huge let down. The main reason for this, is that from all the past games a key part of the enjoyment was being able to race and play against your friends, which you cannot do on this game. I believe that not being able to race against your friends offline is a massive gap that has been left out by EA and I don't understand why they did this. Now people may argue that the online mode, does permit competing against other players online, however it is only in the aspect of beating previous players times or scores in trick and race mode. again there is simply no option to race against people straight up. Although small in comparison to my despair of the multiplayer, there is also a few other features that are missing from this game (compared to previous titles).

I think that customisation of the characters in this game is lacking, as all you seem to be able to do is buy different suits where as with previous games, you could customise much more. The other thing that I found disappointing was the lack of different game modes, all there seemed to be was either race mode or trick it, with the exception of survival. I believe that having modes such as the half pipe, or racing tournaments would of been enjoyable to have.

Overall I think that EA has gone a step in the wrong direction for the series with this game, and has put doubt in my mind over possible future titles. I believe that this game, after completing the world tour mode, has very little else to other and therefore I would only recommend renting this game rather than purchasing it.
  10. Mar 4, 2012
    Awesome game. Brings back old memories of SSX Tricky. It's smooth & fast, & once the character your using gains a few levels you can pull of some impressive looking tricks. There are a few annoying levels where you constantly fall down giant holes you couldn't see until it was too late, but that's only a minor annoyance on races. On Tricky runs the rewind feature works good so that's notAwesome game. Brings back old memories of SSX Tricky. It's smooth & fast, & once the character your using gains a few levels you can pull of some impressive looking tricks. There are a few annoying levels where you constantly fall down giant holes you couldn't see until it was too late, but that's only a minor annoyance on races. On Tricky runs the rewind feature works good so that's not really a problem. The lure of the Explore side & trying to level up the characters so that you can buy better equipment, & get those gold medals is quite addictive. I can see the online side of things, & the global events being a big attraction, especially if you end up with lots of people on your friends list playing to beat you. Collapse

1. May 4, 2012
    SSX is a great reboot of the series. While the game has some shortcomings, it does provide an amazing adrenaline rush and sense of speed you rarely experience in other titles.
  2. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Apr 11, 2012
    [P]layers won't get much out of SSX until they put a lot of time into each of the game's courses – packed with branching paths, high ridges, and suicide leaps – and work out a custom plan of attack. Without one, SSX can deteriorate into a discombobulating frazzle of questions like: where am I going? Is this the fastest way down? And how come the CPU is 15 seconds ahead of me? While the required exploration means a tonne of replay value, it also means newbies will have to board up a hockey stick-shaped difficulty curve to feel in the game. [April 2012, p70]
  3. Play UK
    Mar 28, 2012
    Frustrates and infuriates as poor design decisions smash into each other with alarming regularity. A real letdown, given the series it comes from, but in actuality this is as close to an SSX game as it is Tetris. [Issue#216, p.70]