2.1

1. Apr 24, 2013
    what a mess, what a epic mess......... plenty of good ideas but sadly ended by implemented on a disastrous way. this is an obvious cash-in on the well knowed franchise and gambling with the hype on the new film that soon will be at the theaters to sell some copies of this game, just because you're a die hard of star trek, dont buy any garbage just because this have star trek name attached.what a mess, what a epic mess......... plenty of good ideas but sadly ended by implemented on a disastrous way. this is an obvious cash-in on the well knowed franchise and gambling with the hype on the new film that soon will be at the theaters to sell some copies of this game, just because you're a die hard of star trek, dont buy any garbage just because this have star trek name attached. Star Trek is awesome but this game............... should be boycotted by any serious Trekie!!! Expand
  2. Apr 24, 2013
    I've only played for a couple of hours, but my impression is...nice voice acting from what seems to be the entire cast, and thats the best I can say. The missions are standard duck and shoot, along with some minigame puzzles. Very buggy (at one point Spock was walking six feet off the ground...), and the controls, sp. jumping, is very sloppy. Unless gameplay improves greatly, a bigI've only played for a couple of hours, but my impression is...nice voice acting from what seems to be the entire cast, and thats the best I can say. The missions are standard duck and shoot, along with some minigame puzzles. Very buggy (at one point Spock was walking six feet off the ground...), and the controls, sp. jumping, is very sloppy. Unless gameplay improves greatly, a big disappointment. Expand
  3. Apr 24, 2013
    This game has so many bugs that anyone should have been embarrased to release it.
    Tossing the bugs aside, it's a very average game that deserves a score around 5-6, but since people don't mind giving painfully buggy games a 10 i guess i don't mind giving it 0.
  4. Apr 25, 2013
    This game is awfully bad, its so bad it makes me cry but the reason I set it so low is the shady business of the developers, fake accounts on metacritic and steam do not buy this game until the price is so low!
  5. Apr 26, 2013
    All fake accounts and developers rate the game 10 or 8 out of 10. Now if you rate your own game a 10 out of 10 just because you made it while no one else is able to play the co op and the game is just pure why even bother making it? I hope, from the ground of my heart, that Namco Bandai games goes bankrupt. Shame on all of you over at Bandai.
  6. Apr 24, 2013
    This game was TERRIBLE! extremely buggy and only a sub-par shooter. I have to say that i would not recommend this game to anyone. I would only play this game if it was one of the last thing left on earth!
  7. Apr 25, 2013
    Co-op doesn't work, gameplay mechanics looks like a cheap rip-off of popular titles, like Call of Duty. There's no creativity in the art direction, looks like it's taken straight from Mass Effect 3. Don't buy this game.
  8. Apr 27, 2013
    I posted my review over in the PC version but wanted to post here since this one seems to be getting more "user" attention.

To any potential customers: BEFORE you trust any of these "green" 7-10 rating reviews, click the user name and look at the number of ratings and reviews they have! I cannot stress this enough. Most of them have only reviewed THIS particular game. That should raise your mental red flags, especially in light of the fact that at least ONE member of the development team has been caught engaging in shady PR on Steam.

I have yet to see a legitimate high rating from someone who has reviewed multiple games spanning months or years.
  9. May 13, 2013
    Set phazers to SUCK! This game is buggy, graphically unimpressive, and has generic 3rd person shooter gameplay. Even the story is remarkably bland. DO NOT BUY.
  10. Apr 26, 2013
    What a piece of crap, when I first saw it I thought ooh, it looks like a Star Trek mass effect type game, now I know that the similarity ends right there, it's broken... Completely broken, do yourself a favour and go get the mass effect trilogy instead of this busted ass load of
  11. Apr 30, 2013
    What are they doing? At least the movie is worth seeing. They really need to just stick to the movies This game is really like a crappy version on mass effect
  12. Jun 14, 2013
    1.Rented Star Trek The Video Game
    2. Went home
    3. Put Star Trek into PS3
    4. started playing at 3:45pm
    5. turned game off at 4:13
    6. regretted wasting 3 dollars on renting this game.
    7. Not worth writing a detailed review about. Junk.. Go watch the movie and forget about this turd.
  13. Apr 27, 2013
    There is a good reason that gamer's take interest in quality control.

Their favorite IP's are often taken advantage of, for reasons no more convoluted than fiscal profit. A bad game, is not a rare coinsurance. They are pretty easy to spot. It's been widely accepted, Star Trek The Video game is not only buggy, antiquated, and in some regards, non-functional but it's an obvious attempt
    There is a good reason that gamer's take interest in quality control.

A bad game, is not a rare coinsurance. They are pretty easy to spot. It's been widely accepted, Star Trek The Video game is not only buggy, antiquated, and in some regards, non-functional but it's an obvious attempt to capitalize on the IP's popularity among long time fans of the series.

I do not own the game. If you're reading this; you don't need me to tell you, that this game is not worth your money. You should already know by now.

I'm writing this because of the un-ethical practices by the developers to influence the consumer base with fake reviews. Because of lead developers (Kenneth) arguing on Steam, posing as a normal guy, who loves the game. Because of refusing to provide pre-release review copies and yet, still insisting on charging full price for the release.

These are the kind of business practices that the gaming community, on a whole, are trying to document.

It's up to the gamer, to punish these kinds of developers and publishers of poorly made games, by voting with your collective wallets.

But this is not a matter of Star Trek simply being a bad game.

A bad game is bad enough; but when a company goes beyond marketing, and attempts to run a deliberate campaign to deceive the ill-informed consumer, we must hold them accountable by getting online documenting why we're upset, and contacting those at fault; in addition to not paying for something that is merely a scheme to get your money...

The gaming community is smarter than these people take us for.

Do not let yourself be comfortable with these kinds of practices. It is our responsibility to enforce a standard; please, for your fellow gamers, do not buy this game you are condoning the worst of the gaming industry.
  14. May 3, 2013
    Don't like the fact that most/all of the positive reviews have only reviewed this game. While I believe that no game deserves a 0, I do believe in fighting against shady PR tactics.
  15. May 26, 2014
    I haven't played this game yet. But neither did MasJ and he gave it a 10 based on the "videos" he saw... Giving it a 0 to balance that out. Sigh.......
  16. May 6, 2013
    This game was garbage. It froze up on me in the first 5 minutes and has deleted my save more times than I can count. The game is broken broken broken broken. Do not support this garbage.
  17. Apr 29, 2013
    Co-op mode doesn't work. I tried to join co-op 7 times and each time I waited at least 5 minutes to join, but all I got was waiting for host to reach check point) message. What Namco Bandai Inc.has done should be against the law. Who is in charge of protecting the consumer and is being done to discourage such terrible abuse. How many people lost 60. if you add it up thats a lot. EnjoyCo-op mode doesn't work. I tried to join co-op 7 times and each time I waited at least 5 minutes to join, but all I got was waiting for host to reach check point) message. What Namco Bandai Inc.has done should be against the law. Who is in charge of protecting the consumer and is being done to discourage such terrible abuse. How many people lost 60. if you add it up thats a lot. Enjoy your filthy lucre Namco Bandai Inc. That isn,t a game you sold us, it's a poop sandwich with no bread." Expand
  18. May 19, 2013
    As a concerned gamer, came to Metacritic to research this Star Trek game. To my dismay, I discovered numerous accusations and counter-accusations. Some, on the one hand, claimed that the game developers had made fake metacritic profiles and were giving the game high scores that it didn't come close to deserving; on the other hand, some refiews seemed to indicate that the majority if theAs a concerned gamer, came to Metacritic to research this Star Trek game. To my dismay, I discovered numerous accusations and counter-accusations. Some, on the one hand, claimed that the game developers had made fake metacritic profiles and were giving the game high scores that it didn't come close to deserving; on the other hand, some refiews seemed to indicate that the majority if the people who had reviewed the game were a bunch of haters who were unfairly maligning a truly wonderful game.
    After checking the game out for myself and playing it, I do not know if either of those accusations is true, but I DO know that Star Trek the Video Game is an appalling, poorly-executed mess. In the interest of being fair to the game, I will ignore how the Star Trek canon has been butchered by the game and recent movies and treat this as a new IP. In many ways, I think it would have been much better if this were the case.

The graphics range from early original XBOX quality in some places to almost superb in others, and this division can sometimes be found in the onscreen in the same cutscene. Quality differences aside, however, they are for the most part bland and forgettable. There are exceptions, but they're just that- exceptions.

The characters themselves feel lifeless, and often AI controlled characters (especially Spock, in my time with the game) will exhibit pathfinding issues and try to walk through an obstruction for thirty seconds or so. Conversely, I found that Kirk was able walk right through Spock as if he were a hologram. Whenever I entered a turbolift (and managed to find the right spot to press the square button) the other characters would do a strange little running dance. It was quite comical, but very mechanical and unrelistic. The voice acting was dull and unispired and the plot was unconvincing.

Every now and then, however, there was a bright spot, like a ray of sun emerging briefly from behind a dark cloud. Such a moment occured in an early cutscene where Kirk and Spock are playing chess while discusing Kirk's predictibility and are called away in the middle of the game. Spock is winning, of course, and I was thinking to myself, more in feelings than in words: "well, if this is Kirk, and he doesn't concede, he'd cheat." Sure enough, no sooner than the thought popped into my head, Kirk sneaks back and quickly changes the position of a single piece. Its a very juvenile scene, and the old Kirk never would have gotten away with it if the original Spock were around, but it nevertheless does a wonderful job of capturing the "doesn't believe in losing" spirit that Kirk possesses. If only the rest of the game could live up to that moment.

The gameplay itself bears a superficial resemblance to Mass Effect, but without any of Mass Effect's depth (both in and out of combat). This isn't necessarily a bad thing in itself, but in this case it feels like the game simply lacks poluish. The aiming controls work well and the weaponry itself is largely believable, and in one place I noted a tiny bit of detructible cover, but actually moving around didn't work quite so well. I found myself backing out of cover at inopportune times, entirely by accident, and then when I actually wanted to get out from behind whatever Kirk had found to protect him, my character seemed very reluctant to comply, as if he had decided on his own to stay where it was safe.

There were several gameplay anomalies I noticed during my time with first two levels. The first deals with the 'cover' issue above. Because Kirk refused to leave cover when I wanted him to, in frustration I decided I'd get an early start, and this led to the discovery that I could safely leave cover at times I should not be able to due to environmental hazards. This discovery made things easier. Secondly, I can report that, as I had read elsewhere, weapons can indeed be fired while the onscreen reloading graphics are still playing. It must be that advanced Vulcan technology. Third, I discovered that dodging often made Kirk temporarily invincible. This may be intentional, but its hard to take the game seriously when an enemy does a charge attack right through your character and you take no damage because the evasive animation had started. Other times, however, Kirk did take damage while dodging, as if some noticed at the last minute and took a half-hearted stab at fixing it at the last minute.

The music was decent -no complaints, that is- but forgettable. That's about all there is to say concerning it.

On a final note, I have to say that I liked being able to scan things with my tricorder to earn points to upgrade my devices. It was most satisfying to upgrade my phaser to fire fully automatic.

Now, we come to the last and most important detail: Did I enjoy playing it? I actually did, sort of. Will you? I doubt it.
  19. Jun 19, 2013
    angry joe told me to poop sjfsapfjapjfjfdofaofofajfodjfoadjpfadjfpoadjfpoadjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjpdfjajfajofjodjfoapjfdopfjopfjaofjdofapjfajpfjpfj
  20. Jul 10, 2013
    Another awful movie licence game just to make money of it name. This game is bad, i mean really bad. The story is below average with no exploration. Star trek should be about exploring the galaxy for new life form or other amazing stuff but here its just about shooting aliens in the face. AI in this game is terrible teammate or enemy. Teammate AI is just stupid which can be fixable byAnother awful movie licence game just to make money of it name. This game is bad, i mean really bad. The story is below average with no exploration. Star trek should be about exploring the galaxy for new life form or other amazing stuff but here its just about shooting aliens in the face. AI in this game is terrible teammate or enemy. Teammate AI is just stupid which can be fixable by playing with a friend which i highly recommend. There is multiplayer as well which is fun for an hour then it just boring. I can bash this game all day thats how bad it is. Expand

1. Barely ten minutes after we booted up the game, our AI-partner managed to get himself stuck in some godforsaken corner of a godforsaken space station. Restart. This time Spock does not want to go down a ladder, not even after encouraging him with a few Phaser beams to the face. Restart. [June 2013, p.76]
  2. As a game based on a movie, Star Trek is ok. This is no rush job but it lacks either the expertise or imagination to make it passable as a game in its own right. And who the hell would bother with that. [July 2013, p77]
  3. Jun 5, 2013
    Star Trek The Video Game just isn't very good.