Starhawk PlayStation 3

• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: May 8, 2012
7.8

1. May 29, 2012
    Starhawk is a fun game, its just lacking in some key areas. As others have stated the single player is essentially a 3-5 hour tutorial for the multiplayer. In other words it's (the single player campaign) uninspired and not worth anywhere near $60. So if you are looking for an in depth single player game Starhawk is not for you. With respect to the multiplayer, it feels well balanced andStarhawk is a fun game, its just lacking in some key areas. As others have stated the single player is essentially a 3-5 hour tutorial for the multiplayer. In other words it's (the single player campaign) uninspired and not worth anywhere near $60. So if you are looking for an in depth single player game Starhawk is not for you. With respect to the multiplayer, it feels well balanced and can be a lot of fun assuming that you have a group of people you know to play with. My time with the multiplayer was frustrating to say the least. Don't get me wrong there is nothing better than dropping a building on an enemy tank. It's just that Starhawk's multiplayer does require some teamwork and without it the match can be over before it starts. Oftentimes players would go off in their own directions without concern for the game type specific goals or the teams ability to achieve those goals. This of course made way for complete domination by the other team and players constantly dropping out of matches. The multiplayer framework is very well balanced but with such a strong focus on teamwork there isn't much you can do to stand a chance when the rest of your team is a bunch of idiots. Sure this could be said for many other multiplayer games but at least in COD if you have 1 or 2 good players on a team you still have a chance for success. Starhawk doesn't require that everyone on a team is a good player just that they are a good team member, something that is increasingly hard to find in online multiplayer games. Expand
  2. May 11, 2012
    Singleplayer isnt much like people say. The premise for the game is great, strategy and action game in one but once you start playing, you realize that this game is nothing but who gets to spawncamp first. Not my cup of tea
  3. May 16, 2012
    Lightbox Interactive nailed the Multiplayer aspect of this game, The "Build and Battle" feature that they implemented to the Multiplayer battlefield is a very nice touch to a now addictive formula that the Multiplayer has in Starhawk. But, however the Singleplayer campaign felt short and forgettable. However, the Multiplayer has outshined the Singleplayer, just like what happened onLightbox Interactive nailed the Multiplayer aspect of this game, The "Build and Battle" feature that they implemented to the Multiplayer battlefield is a very nice touch to a now addictive formula that the Multiplayer has in Starhawk. But, however the Singleplayer campaign felt short and forgettable. However, the Multiplayer has outshined the Singleplayer, just like what happened on Battlefield 3, This is a great game, a formula that will live within the industry for years to come. Lightbox made their first steps successfully and I'm looking forward to their future projects. Starhawk is good, but not great enough for me to give it a 9 or 10/10. Congratulations to Lightbox for Starhawk! Expand
  4. Jun 13, 2012
    This game is a Total Letdown when the 2nd patch came along... The 2nd patch made the game unbalanced for Air Jets. Can you please let this know to Lightbox so they can make the game balanced back again?
  5. Oct 11, 2012
    I know this game is really about the multiplayer but I couldn't stand to jump into a multiplayer game at the moment and will wait to really give it a shot some time later. That being said, what I did play felt similar to war hawk but at the same time not. I jumped into the single player thinking it would be a good tutorial but found myself liking it for the missions and the story as well.I know this game is really about the multiplayer but I couldn't stand to jump into a multiplayer game at the moment and will wait to really give it a shot some time later. That being said, what I did play felt similar to war hawk but at the same time not. I jumped into the single player thinking it would be a good tutorial but found myself liking it for the missions and the story as well. Although the story was not overly compelling it served as a good way to introduce new things and the characters seemed to have a reasonable dynamic that tied them together. It was relatively fast paced and didn't penalize you hugely for making mistakes. I got annoyed once or twice but it was nothing more than feeling stupid for taking to many risks. The controls felt good and the visuals were fairly snappy. I don't know what the fps is on this game (30 probably, right?) but they did a good making it feel like more. The art style felt similar to Warkhawk with the exception of QTE's but I didn't find it to take away or give value. It was brief, sensible, and enjoyable, but by no means great. Am I happy I played it? Yes. Would I recommend it to a friend? Probably not. Expand
  6. May 31, 2012
    Huge Warhawk fan here, and this game turned up the dial for this addition to the franchise, but didn't extend their creative arms as much as they could. The Pros; gameplay has been revolutionized, I mean Mechs? Can't go wrong with a Piloting system that transforms into a Mech. Audio was epic, be it the score or the sound effects. Graphics are a huge improvement from Warhawk while keepingHuge Warhawk fan here, and this game turned up the dial for this addition to the franchise, but didn't extend their creative arms as much as they could. The Pros; gameplay has been revolutionized, I mean Mechs? Can't go wrong with a Piloting system that transforms into a Mech. Audio was epic, be it the score or the sound effects. Graphics are a huge improvement from Warhawk while keeping the same mechanics but with a few extras. Single player story was short, but worth its quick play through. Now the Cons; Graphic Novel style cut scenes seem to be overdone with Sony, enough is enough and it feels like a cop-out since the character isn't very comic-booky. The graphics could be improved but it doesn't take away from the gameplay. You can always use more weapons choices, but the multiplayer is so addictive it doesn't feel like an issue. Great game, but could be improved on. Still worth owning it, maybe once it goes on sale. Expand
  7. Oct 4, 2012
    Forget what you know about online gaming. For the majority of us the subject of mutiplayer usually conjures up frantic images of run and gunning, crude insults and getting ones head blown off. I am speaking generally as for many folk the typical FPS is the holy grail of gaming. It does seem however that which each new incarnation the die hard fans will complain that the latest is inferiorForget what you know about online gaming. For the majority of us the subject of mutiplayer usually conjures up frantic images of run and gunning, crude insults and getting ones head blown off. I am speaking generally as for many folk the typical FPS is the holy grail of gaming. It does seem however that which each new incarnation the die hard fans will complain that the latest is inferior to the last and I am not surprised that the business of ranking up every year is something of a chore.

Bring in Starhawk and what is it that is different. I will still endure frantic shootouts and have my virtual head removed from a couple of clicks away but...

Aside from the hell for leather Free For All deathmatches. The thing that separates Starhawk from every other online multiplayer is the selfish co-operation system it uses. This needs a little explanation;

Each player has the same ability to build structures and vehicles as they see fit. You want to snipe - Build a watchtower. You need to get from A to B - Build a Sidewinder (speederbike). This all adds to a sense of co-operative mayhem and a kind of organised chaos. Each team member is contributing to the cause in there own way. So my Sidewinder corral is accessible for every player on my team to access and spawn a Sidewinder of their own, like wise for the Watchtower, there is a sniper rifle ready and waiting for any team-mate who climbs the ladder.

The greatest success is when you get together on the headsets and plan and plot your strategy as the battle unfolds. Tell your mates you have build an outpost on the farside of the map for sneaky troop deployment or they may not see it to take advantage.

The battles; There is no need to go hell for leather all guns blazing, unless you want to, each battle lasts for 45 minutes - YES 45 minutes, less if there is a score limit but even with a limit we are talking a good 20 - 25 mins plus.

This massive amount of time allows players to try a number of tactics and gauge the battlefield as it develops. Snipers can truly camp out and enjoy the hunt (This camping is addressed cleverly by way of a bright lazer beam emitting from the scope if a player aims for more than a few seconds, notifying enemies and making the sniper hit and run with grater frequency). Players receive XP for building and destroying structures so the great architects and military officianardos can indulge themselves in base building and strategy if the firefight is not going their way.

All of this coupled with jawdropping scenery, huge maps, transforming mechs and an epic score all amounts to something very special and a real treasure of gaming. Starhawk is here to stay and the community online is still going strong with lists of matches filled with players.

A note on the single player - It is a flat tutorial. Great to be included as as a tutorial it is really good but take it with a pinch of salt. If it were not for the campaign many would not bother with this game so it is needed but the heart and soul of Starhawk is online.

1. Aug 16, 2012
    Starhawk is one of the best multiplayer shooters that I have played mainly for its strategic build and battle gameplay. The gameplay style truly brings a lot more to the usual online multiplayer gameplay that is found in other games.
  2. Aug 10, 2012
    The disappointment stems from the notion that it could have been truly great, but a few design decisions and strange lag keep it from achieving that.
  3. Hyper Magazine
    Jul 19, 2012
    Starhawk is building a strong reputation as THE online title for PS3 players. [Aug 2012, p.72]