8.0

1. M.K.
    Nov 4, 2007
    It could've been better. Overall inferior to max payne... Shoot first, think later gameplay... The opening chapter really captures the John Woo experience. Sadly, dialogue in this game is laughable like all John Woo english dub films. Watching the collector's edition Hard Boiled and playing the game makes you want more than what the game offers. With games like Max Payne around, It could've been better. Overall inferior to max payne... Shoot first, think later gameplay... The opening chapter really captures the John Woo experience. Sadly, dialogue in this game is laughable like all John Woo english dub films. Watching the collector's edition Hard Boiled and playing the game makes you want more than what the game offers. With games like Max Payne around, this game offers nothing. Just John Woo settings and Chow Fat. It does have "awesome" moments, like the first time you are in a stand off or shooting a bad guy in the crouch with pin-point accuracy. Expand
  2. PullTheTrigger
    Jul 11, 2008
    I rented Stranglehold a while back and the game was fairly decent. The game itself was pretty addicting, good old fashioned crazy shoot-outs. There were lots of explosions, which is always good for my destructive habits. Then you get to the cut-scenes, oh dear god, the cut-scenes. I have to give them credit for the authentic engrish of the main character, but other than that the voicesI rented Stranglehold a while back and the game was fairly decent. The game itself was pretty addicting, good old fashioned crazy shoot-outs. There were lots of explosions, which is always good for my destructive habits. Then you get to the cut-scenes, oh dear god, the cut-scenes. I have to give them credit for the authentic engrish of the main character, but other than that the voices seemed way off for the characters. It became a bit too difficult within time and well, it became a bit repetitive. All in all, I'd have to say this was only a rent for me. Expand
  3. Dec 18, 2013
    Not a bad game but the gameplay seemed unfinished. The controls didn't work for me. I always did stuff I didn't want to do and never knew exactly how to make sure I'd stay in bullet time as long as possible. I didn't know how to stay out off dodge and defend myself against enemies either. Maybe it's just not my kind of game.

1. Stranglehold has a cool-as-anything hero, a strong story, a great pick-up-and-play vibe and - later on - a genuinely taxing tactical side. It is, in short,one of the most exciting games of any genre on PS3. [Oct 2007, p.84]
  2. An exhilarating shooter brushed with John Woo's genius, Stranglehold plays like Max Payne in a bag of snakes. [Oct 2007, p.8]
  3. Brainless shooters are one thing, but with an interesting storyline and the world of John Woo controllable in the palm of your hands, action fans should flock around this one as it offers much “bang” for the buck.