6.5

1. Mar 12, 2012
    This game is pretty sick.The co-op is definitely the reason to get it... although the story is not bad, as someone else already mentioned. The online isn't 100% stable right now, but it's not a big issue.
  2. Feb 24, 2012
    Awesome game I don't see what everyone is complaining about. The only thing wrong with this is the short campaign and difficult boss fights other than that great game.
  3. Jul 5, 2012
    First of all I have no attachment to the original and only played it a few times. I know it has some kind of "Don't touch" policy with the PC community but I would rather review the game based on it's own merits. Something tells me if this game was not a :Syndicate" reboot but just a new franchise it probably would of been more welcomed. Either way, it is a great game that has been under appreciated. Story- Same as Deus Ex and every other sci-fi shooter set in the future. You (Miles Kilo) work for a corporation called Eurocorp and you are not sure if you are working for the right folks. I am not a fan of revealing stories so let's just leave it at that. I will say the developers (Starbreeze) are known for their story telling in previous work like The Darkness and Riddick. Expect the same here. I will say the voice work is marvelous. Brian Cox is great, Rosario Dawson does good voice work as well. The best is probably Michael Wincott of The Crow, Aliens Resurrection, and Metro fame. Gameplay Is actually great and I was worried about this coming in. Starbreeze really struggled with The Darkness in this category and I could never get comfortable playing it. No problems here. They nailed the gameplay. The weapons in the game are the normal variety and most of them have secondary functions. You get the Machine guns, rifles of all varieties, and shotguns and pistols with very few standouts opening along the way. The few grenade types are standard as well. Again without to many spoilers the weapons are effective and you do get a few surprises. The standout weaponry here is the special powers you have. The DART inlay shows the different augmentations you have and you get a small practice area you are graded on when opening these up. Just a few are vision enhancements, a suicide augmentation that cause the enemy to turn the gun on themselves, and the standard mine jack where they turn on their fellow soldiers. Plenty of more and they are cool to use. Also- Getting these by digging into the boss characters you put away through the game is cool as well. Speaking of the boss fights are very well done. The first boss for example can only be killed be a certain weapon (No spoilers here....remember) and he gets help from fellow soldiers when you get the upper hand To make it harder for you he can teleport as well as split his body from one to four different individuals. There is also fights on top of a train against a military copter and that is all in the first hour of the 8 to 10 hour game. It is well paced however the challenge, even on normal is pretty high. There is a certain do it once to learn, and the do it again to succeed pace that can throw some people off. Also I got stuck in certain sections of the game because it was hard to tell where to go or where you were being ambushed from. Yet in certain big battles I flew through it. Not a deal breaker but it interrupts flow in a way. Presentation- This is EA. For all the hate they receive they know presentation. The menu's and voice acting is outstanding. Menu's are slick. Options are well done and laid out well. Graphics- I think the cyberpunk look is outstanding but it is probably a preferred taste. They love their whites such as buildings and walls. Think Mirror's Edge. The game also has a soft sheen to it and the lighting and bloom is the best I have seen in a game. The problem is it is way overdone. Some people will not like it. But it is unique to say the least. Another thing is everything gets read by your DART inlay. Small thinks like cans and pictures will have a little ad pop up above them. It is not uncommon to have 10 to 15 things lighting up with the white ad above it at one time while you are fighting 8 enemies at once. Not to mention the normal things onscreen like the life bars, ammo clips,ECT. It gets distracting at times but again, it is unique. The sound is great as well. Guns, the ambiance, the city streets all sound alive. Again, It is EA. The multiplayer is co-op only and is probably for the best because Starbreeze has not made a good multiplayer game yet. It is like the rest of the game, unique. It is also very team based and there will be problems finding three other players that will work with you and talk with you on how to beat the level. It is a big co-op experience but the difficulty setting is high. But it is worth it. You will get a sense of accomplishment beating a level and the teamwork aspect will make you appreciate the players skills and teamwork you beat a level with. A rare thing these days. EA took a chance with this game and sales or not, Starbreeze made yet another excellent title. I cannot stress enough how unique the game feels and even though the weapons and most augmentations have been seen before, it is done well here. A smart shooter worth picking up regardless of the absence of a Versus mode. Expand
  4. Feb 23, 2012
    This game is quite fun. I've only had time to play through the first few levels of the campaign and have had a great time with it. I would recommend it to those that perfer a more simplified and fun game. I mention this because Deus Ex was, IMO, a big old pain in the ass. ie a FPS with **** shooting, redundant hacking(i think you might have to hack to take a **** in the game) and the out of place and ridiculous boss battles. Syndicate seems to take all of this and simplify it with the Dart 6 chip implanted in your brain. There is hacking but with less complication and frustration, shooting that is solid, and the boss battles seem appropriate to the game play style. This game also has lots of style and colors which adds to that cyberpunk feel, which I have been longing for in a game for a while. Color is good. I never played the original game that this is based off(RTS)---I think this game still holds lots of strategy elements and levels can be played the way you want to play them, either upclose and person, or with strategic use of Dart6 and distance weapons. The real selling point, which I was sold on by the demo, was the co-op missions, 4 people doing missions together, helping each other out to heal, reboot, etc. The weapon upgrading system is quite in depth, or comparable to that of say BF3--though don't forget to queue up your weapon upgrades or skill upgrades--or else you are playin for nothing. Also there is a skill tree and ability upgrades that require tokens/experience points in order to upgrade. So fairly in depth. Also the bosses in coop need and require you to work together with your team--whether there is 1 or 4. I would recommend those people that enjoy games that require you to work together with people. Also there are about 12 coop missions now, but I have heard that the devs are planning to release more content on the 1st and 15th each month. The missions are located on a world map in the coop menus, and only a small portion of the map is filled in right now...my hope is that the missions keep stacking up to cover the world map. We'll see. Enjoy. It's definitely a fun FPS. Expand
  5. Feb 22, 2012
    I was surprised about how great this game really is! The single player is good, and I just love the coop. If you by some reason haven't decided to get the game, check out the demo that won me over.
  6. Feb 24, 2012
    A terrible pity, but the PC port is so dreadful that I must caution people not to waste money on this. Hopefully the console versions provide a nicer experience, but the awful after taste of a rip-off is too much for me to use anymore money on this
  7. Feb 27, 2012
    For all people loving sci-fi movies like Bladerunner this might be the game of the year!
    It´s a bit hard for the not hardcore gamers (but you can always go for the easy level) ;)
    Shure a couple of boss fights is not pefect, but the atmosphere in the game is just so lovely it still get a full score from me!
  8. Feb 24, 2012
    Waoo the best FPS I have ever tried. The Co-op is brilliant and worth playing many many hours!

The sound is excelent, must say I love it.

Hope Starbreeze will make Syndicate 2, I want it !

Go get your own copy, its worth every penny in my opinion :-)
  9. Feb 26, 2012
    A fun, gun toting, cybernetic getting, head snapping adventure that is short but sweet. Has a less than compelling story made up for by immensely fun combat. Could have improved in the graphics and story categories. Has a fun co-op mode with a lengthy repeatability value.

More in my video review: http://youtu.be/PTU6bcwvnPE
  10. Feb 28, 2012
    Great singleplayer and excellent co-op! Hands down the best FPS of the year so far.

Starbreeze har done a solid job with this reboot, the campaign is on the short side but a lot of fun and on top of that they've created a unique and amazingly fun co-op experience.
  11. Feb 24, 2012
    Have now played and finished the single player campaign and also done a lot of co-op. can´t really say I understand those complains that some have over the storytelling in the campaign. IMO everything including the story was just great and the game in general is AWSOME.
  12. Feb 24, 2012
    The co-op really sets the standard for fps´s and is really great paying, feels like you can´t get enough (o **** the clock is 0200 am already..:)) think you all know what I mean. Campaign is great aswell but co-op rocks!
  13. Feb 28, 2012
    Its a great game i usually just play the campaign but the multi is great! I was very happy with the game. Its really fun and interesting. I really like dubstep and the music just makes it!
  14. IGN
    Feb 28, 2012
    This is the greatest game ever. I feel like they took the original and built upon it; but they didn't just build upon it. THEY BUILT TOWER OF BABEL ON IT! The graphics are so good that I couldn't tell when I had stopped playing the game and started beating my wife. Some of you might be asking, "What about the framerate?" I am getting well over 90fps on my Compucolor II. This game definitely deserves "Game of the Year". Expand
  15. Jop
    Mar 6, 2012
    The campaign is ok, but the multiplayer mode "Co-op" is brilliant. Once you tried, you cant stop. Force your friends to buy it and play it together, you won't regret it.

1. Right from the start, you feel like a demigod, dispatching enemies with ease thanks to an overpowered arsenal and a whole bunch of 'breaching' powers that let you slow time, enhance damage and decrease ouchies from incoming bullets. [April 2012, p65]
  2. Mar 28, 2012
    No classic, but it's still easily one of the year's stronger shooters so far. [Issue#216, p.74]
  3. Mar 21, 2012
    Awful bosses, poor story, and unimaginative level design bury sexy guns and good looks. [Apr 2012, p.92]