8.1

1. Mar 14, 2012
    I was a bit put off by the apparent focus on friendship, but Tales of Graces f has really surprised me thanks to its mix of intrigues, war and good character development. The world is vibrant and interesting to explore, the battle system is far deeper than the previous entries and the customization using titles is fantastic. I have already clocked 15 hours in less than two days, and I can't wait to see more and to have more localized Tales games! Expand
  2. Mar 15, 2012
    (Bottom line: trolls will be trolls, and if you're a Tales fan at all, you'll probably love this game, so buy it! Graces deserves your money anyway, plus it will send Namco the message that they can release Tales games here and still make money, which is the key stepping stone toward getting Tales of Xillia.)

Wow, I went to sleep last night and the user score was sitting at 9.0. I woke
    up this morning and it was at 7.3. That would mean whoever's been giving this game bad scores has been giving it 0's.

Giving a game a 0 is just pathetic. Whoever's doing this is either trolling or actually trying to hurt the game sales. How about you play what you like, we play what we like, and nobody gets in anybody's faces? I swear.

Anyway, as I said in my earlier review, this is a great Tales game, the best I've played since Symphonia. I play games mostly for gameplay and fun factor, and this game nails both of those.

The voice acting is getting better and better with each Tales game, it seems. Yuri was the best-acted character in a while, but all the characters here (except maybe Sophie) have solid voice acting.

The story is alright. It's no Final Fantasy Tactics, but it has its moments of political intrigue and hilarious character interactions, and it's not nearly as cringe-inducingly corny as other JRPG's.

The only major flaws I can point out are the first four hours being boring and wonky childhood backstory; some inconsistent boss difficulty; and confusing backtracking.

It's still a fantastic RPG and a solid rejuvenation of the starved genre.
  3. Mar 13, 2012
    I love this game it has to be one of the best tales games i have played. I love the new way they did the combat in this one it makes it a just a bit more challenging. So in short two thumbs way up.
  4. Mar 21, 2012
    Hands down : If your a big fan of J-RPG , this is your game, fast action packed, with lots of combo's. Sure it may have some down sides like cartoon-ish graphics and linear gameplay, but its fun overall, and depending how long you play everyday , it will last a very long time if you play only about 4-5 hours a day. If your like me and wasted 3 whole days completing the game, just to beat it well there is a bonus for you! There is a New Game plus where you can start the game over again with bonus's such as 10x exp ! Face monsters you never faced before , go into a bonus dungeon! Combat is just like any other tales game from the starting from the play station 2 series and gamecube series to present. Check it out , Tales of symphonia, Tales of Legendia , all great games , the mechanics and all skits have been voiced over so basically everything is voiced , of course not everything is voiced. The battle system is fast action packed! As soon as you hit a monster , Bang! a monster appears before and becomes hostile towards you , you will be made to fight or escape it, but it is reccomended you fight every monster you see. There is a cooking and materialization system, cooking in battle, eating before battle , while in battle, finding rare materials, then the costumes and Mystics artes, are amazing, bright lights colors, its all amazing. The sound , the sound can be a bit repetetive, but it is amazing. There is a amazing co-oooooooop system! 4 players can play along with you and its even more fun to play with friends than going solo. If you like this game, you might like other J-RPG's Like the White Knight Chronicles. Graphics- 9
    Sound- 8
    Gameplay-10
    Mechanics- 10
    Keeps ya going? Hell yeah!
  5. Mar 13, 2012
    I put in 12 hours on this game today, I love it so much. The battle system is great, it's a breath of fresh air for me compared to the games I usually play. It doesn't even feel like grinding when I'm crushing random enemies for titles and skills--and that's a rarity, I spent the better part of probably about 2-3 hours just grinding away for the hell of it and I didn't get bored. It's engaging and fast-paced, making you think on your feet a bit more than the other entries in the series that I've played. I like it so much, so far it's probably safe to call it my second favorite entry into the series out of what I've played so far. The characters are fun, and it's very interesting to try and guess where the plot is going to go next--and to see if my initial impressions of the characters were right! I highly suggest this game to any fans of the Tales series, or (J)RPGs in general. Expand
  6. Mar 15, 2012
    It's an excellent game thus far, I highly recommend the purchase. It's a great game in a great series. Art style is fantastic, story line is engaging, and the combat is just alot of fun. I highly recommend it!
  7. Mar 13, 2012
    Loads of content, great character interaction, best battle system out of all Tales games currently, and looks visually appealing for a port of a Wii game.
  8. Mar 15, 2012
    Wonderful game, despite what the butt hurt ffxiii dones say
  9. Mar 15, 2012
    This has to be the finest jrpg on Playstation 3, I bought it after experiencing Abyss and Vesperia's awesomeness, and Graces so far is keeping up the Tales tradition of great battles and overall quality. I'm loving the cast, especially Asbel, Malik and Pascal, and the voice acting is some of the best I've heard in quite some time. This is definitely a game every jrpg fans out there should experience. Expand
  10. Mar 15, 2012
    I was never a big fan of Tales games, but Graces f so far has exceeded all my expectations. The story isn't childish at all (they should've scrapped the Friendship Trailer and shown the latest trailer about war and conflicts, since it portrays the game far better), the battle system is wonderful and the old-school rpg vibe I love is still there, meaning you will likely talk with every npc, explore every nook and cranny of the world and try out every title. So far, it's the best Japanese rpg on home consoles I have played this generation. Expand
  11. Mar 15, 2012
    This game has brought back what a real JRPG is all about, I've been playing it for hours and I can't stop playing it, I hope Namco adds Japanese voice overs on future title since the English voice overs are not the best. The story is really well put together, just the first 30 min in and I was sucked in I wish more JRPG's and Animes alike had a story that captures you like this game did. A lot may disagree with me but this is by far the best Tales yet. Expand
  12. Mar 16, 2012
    I have thoroughly enjoyed my time with this game so far. I like the characters and the battle system is one of the best RPG battle systems I've seen in a long time. I didn't have high expectations for the graphics since this game was originally for the Wii, but even the graphics are pretty nice, featuring clean, colorful texturing and crisp animation. This is the best game I have played this year, and I recommend it fully for any PS3 owner who likes RPGs. Expand
  13. Apr 9, 2012
    Tales of Graces F is a great game with a few minor issues. The plot, while not bad by itself, is really the weaker part of the game. Though the character and how they interact with each other are great and makes up for the plot. The combat system is fantastic and will reward you for understanding its mechanics. Each individual character are also pretty unique to control and are a blast to play through. The visuals are crisp and vibrant which really helps its graphical style but the textures makes it obvious that the game's origins is on the Nintendo Wii. Exploration wise, its pretty linear where it only opens up during the last parts of the main arc, think Final fantasy X exploration wise. There is backtracking in TOGF but is offset by the Turtelz transportation option. The game's length is around 40-50 hours for the main arc and about 10 hours or so for the Lineage and legacies arc. The soundtrack is also probably the weakest part of the game's presentation. While not bad, its really not memorable at all except for a few tracks. Voice acting is also pretty good for the most part though Adult Richard has a few inconsistency problems at the start but those problems iron out during the later parts of the game. There are tons of content to do in the game such as Inn requests, arena battles, extra dungeons, sidequests, etc. Overall the game is a blast to play with the gameplay offsetting most of presentation issues. Pros
    - Fantastic combat system -individual character are a blast to play through -crisp and vibrant graphics -tons of content -character interaction Cons
    -soundtrack -textures -bit linear(like FFX) Tales of Graces F is also a game that I've played for 5 or 6 hours straight for about 5 or 6 days in a row. That's saying something for me personally.
  14. Mar 18, 2012
    This is a great addition to the Tales series. The game at first goes slowly, but the deeper you get in the game, the more interesting and fast-paced it gets, not only because of the main plot, but also because of the character development and gameplay which can be quite entertaining if you actually try to think instead of random button mashing. The music and the graphics are not the best out there, but stand amazing for what they were made for. The voice acting has notably improved, making the characters sound better. This game, is colorful, creative and can have deem emotions to it. Tales has yet to deliver me a disappointment. Expand
  15. Mar 17, 2012
    IMPORTANT: it looks like yesterday the user score of this game has been artificially lowered by ten or more troll accounts voting 0 or 1 in the span of twenty minutes. This has extensively been discussed on Gamefaqs and other boards.

Tales of Graces f is the port of a Wii game, but it really doesn't show. Polycount may not be the best in the PS3 lineup, but the game is crisp,
    colorful, had textures and many models remade for this version and boast better animations than the previous HD Tales game, Vesperia, thanks to motion capture (this is especially evident considering facial animations).

Being a Team Destiny game, its battle system throws away the TP of previous Team Symphonia games opting for the CC points, a dinamic combo count that will enable the player to execute deep, rewarding combos without the need to recharge their mana pool with items. The combats are far more fast paced and technicals than in previous entries, and the side step feature is really better than free run (even though that one is still here).

The world of Efinea is one of the best, more believable and genuinely endearing seen so far in the series. Starting with a childhood arc focused on the characters' infancy, the plot steadily progresses to their adulthood, and completely changes tune in the process, showing the different perspective between the way children view the world and adults do. War, politics, ideological clashes and a bit of magic are all there to make things hard for Asbel and his friends, and while the heroes can be light-hearted and funny, there's also a lot to ponder in their interactions. The final arc, added in the PS3 edition, is a wonderful epilogue to a story that already had a nice climax, unlike some other big-name rpg recently released.

Overall, this is one of the finest Japanese rpgs translated during this hardware generation, and probably the best Tales of game localized so far in terms of contents, even if Phantasia and Abyss will always be personal favorites of mine.
  16. Mar 17, 2012
    I've put 30 hours into the game in less than one week, and I think it's my lifetime record so far. Graces is the best JRPG I have played in years, and its battle system is a lesson about this genre's potential other developer should learn from. The characters are also surprisingly likeable and funny, and their personalities are well defined and presented. I know a full score is a big investment on a game, but if I don't give this game a 10 then I really don't know which game in the last year could deserve it, especially in this genre. Expand
  17. Mar 15, 2012
    This is the best Tales game I've played since Symphonia. Abyss was a bit of a drag but this one was far more interesting to say the least. Not to mention that this is really a port so there are some things that are a bit buggy like the lip syncing. I would hope they would bring other Tales games to the US.
  18. Mar 15, 2012
    Best tales game in a long time. The change in the battle system is refreshing. Don't let the trolls make you think this isn't a good game. The fact that they even brought it over to America is amazing.
  19. Mar 17, 2012
    Tales of Graces is what a JRPG shall give the players, solid and clear story, variant of characters, good battle system and good set-up, it may lacks at some points, but at an era where the JRPG suffers lack of originality this game comes to prove again that JRPG can keep the fans happy as simple as it may get
  20. Mar 17, 2012
    the battle system once you understand the mechanics it's very addictive. Even though this is a wii port the graphics still are very enjoyable to the eyes....the fluid of the battle system looks great. The characters so far have their share of good and bad....but that comes with the territory of every rpg.....you will have great, good and bad characters. The music is forgettable, why won't they use more score pieces from GO Shiina is just mind boggling. Expand
  21. Mar 15, 2012
    Battle system is amazing once you get past the steep learning curve. Voice acting is not half bad, and better than I expected. Great entry in the Tales series.
  22. Mar 16, 2012
    This game is great! It combines classic elements of the classic JRPG genre with an innovative Style Shift Linear Motion Battle System (SS-LiMBS). At first glance, the battle system appears similar to games like Star Ocean 3 & 4 and the other Tales games, but I've found the battles in this game more fun than the others. The music was composed by Motoi Sakuraba who has composed music for the Valkyrie Profile series, the Star Ocean series, and the Tales series. I also found the characters very likable and the story enjoyable. If you like anime inspired artwork and want a true classic JRPG that doesn't play like the modern crap, then get this game. Expand
  23. Mar 21, 2012
    linear path my ass, that guy does NOT have the game, otherwise, he would have already known that the game lets you roam in the open map when traveling from city to city. Like any other game, if you are on a mission in the city, you have to complete the mission before leaving. Remember all the old school rpgs?

Sounds like a FFXiii-2 butt hurt fan
  24. Mar 21, 2012
    I'd give this more of an 8.5 than a 9, but better to round up than down, eh? It's definitely a great game. Combat may be a little alien at first, but it feels good once you're in the groove, plus this game has the bonus of making even the casters feel good to control.

The lack of a traditional overworld may seem like a deterrent, but it's done quite well. Discoveries, search points,
    treasure chests scattered about and the occasional NPC give you plenty to look for as you progress through the game.

Story's certainly somewhat predictable to an extent, but it's done well with Tales' usual stellar character interactions. There are many skits to be found, especially if you search out Discovery Points, and they all serve to make the cast more endearing. Many are pretty funny, as well. The skits and cutscenes in this game really make it apparent how much character interaction can make or break a story. Just be prepared to hear "friend" and "protect" a lot.

As for negative points, you can tell this was a Wii remake, and the scenes with lip-syncing cause noticeable awkwardness with the pauses in the voice acting. Scenes that don't have lines synced to the lips are significantly better, and voices are cast well for the most part, with a handful of exceptions from scene to scene.
  25. Mar 22, 2012
    This is, without question, the finest J-RPG currently available in the west on high-definition consoles. While it isn't a graphical powerhouse, often betraying its Wii origin, its battle system is easily one of the best ever seen in the genre, combining the depth of turn based games and the fast pace of action games thanks to the Chain Capacity system and providing tons of in-depth options to use your character to build stylish and efficient combos with the side step and guard stances. Free run, while still here, will likely go unnoticed considering how Team Destiny has been able to streamline the usual Tales combats. Another surprise here is the story: the much-hated upon childhood arc is actually just a short prologue meant to show the contrast between the childish dreams of the characters and the real world's harsh reality, and when the real plot kicks it's all about war, politics, betrayal and mistery, easily rivaling Tales of the Abyss for the crown of best Tales story. Asbel himself is a believable hero with a lot of shortcomings that actually make him a real person instead of your cookie cutter hero. I couldn't be more pleased with Tales' return to the west, and I eagerly wait for any other entry in this wonderful series. Expand
  26. Mar 29, 2012
    Tales of Graces is a fantastic RPG. With a story, characterization, new battle system, and soundtrack of the highest quality, this game surely has a place in the Tales series while bringing completely new content to the genre. This series has always been known for its characterization, and its ability to make you care about these characters in the 50-100 hour quests. The new and improved battle system is completely unmatched by any other Tales game before it, as well as most RPGs in my opinion. Real time RPG batles can become very repetitious and usually resort to button mashing, and this can be said for past Tales games as well, but Tales of Graces introduces a much more involved and complex system that calls for precise timing and strategy, as well as having to know the skill trees, strengths and weaknesses of the character you choose. It reminds me a little of Dark Souls's "avoid/block and strike" combat, just not quite as difficult. I thought the decision to begin the game and story in childhood and then advance to adulthood hours later, was brilliant, because it gives the story a strong foundation in which all the important events are tied to. This time-advancing element is rarely seen in games and the way it was incorporated in Tales of Graces is perfect. I understand Tales of Graces, or the Tales series itself isn't everyone's cup of tea, but if you appreciate/are a fan of JRPGs, anime, or both, please do yourself a favor and consider getting this game (or watch clips from youtube to learn more about it). I would love to see this game sell well so we can get other Japanese Tales games that unfortunately don't make their way over here. Expand
  27. Oct 13, 2012
    Not as good as Tales of Vesperia or Symphonia. That said, still one of the best RPGs of the past decade. Great combat system, graphics, etc... all the stuff you expect from a Tales game- if you liked other Tales games you'll like this one. Most off putting thing I'd say is how they shove the theme of friendship in your face like a children's anime, the game feeling much more childlike than the darker Vesperia.

But, due to certain parts of it I can't say it's completely aimed at little kids.

Asbel is one of the blandest Tales main characters I've seen- but Cheria grew on me, and Pascal is now one of my all time favourite characters.

If you like RPGs, this is a great choice if you have a ps3.
  28. Mar 24, 2012
    this game is coooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool
  29. Mar 19, 2012
    That good JRPG i've been waiting to have in my non-existence library of "good" JRPG PS3 games.
    Tales of Graces f is just what JRPG fans need right now. It's got a handful of shortcomings, but they're diminished by the fact that this title captures the classic RPG spirit so well. It's the first console RPG in a long time where we've been engrossed enough to explore every nook and cranny,
    talk to every villager, search everyone's houses, and find all the paths possible in a dungeon. And for many, that's all they could want at this point â Expand
  30. Mar 25, 2012
    Tales of Graces f is one of the best Tales games I've played in the series. Even though it's a port of the Wii the graphics are colorful and great to look at. The battle system is so awesome and addicting. For anyone looking for a JRPG or just an RPG in general should really go out and buy this game. Hopefully if enough people buy this game namco will localize Tales of Xillia in the US.
  31. Aug 28, 2013
    This is my game of the year so far, one that I bought with out looking into beforehand, the game is near enough perfect, from its graphics, soundtrack, characters and story everything about it just amazed me. The game took me at least 60 hours to complete meaning you definitely get your money's worth
  32. Jun 29, 2012
    the best game on ps3 [2012] rpg system ... i like this game ... if you ilke RPG style japan buy this game Tales of Graces f ps3 waoooo ..... 10/10 my name adil khojah from saudi arabia see u all ...
  33. Jan 20, 2013
    I'm not a fan of anime, I'm not a fan of JRPGs. However Tales of Graces pulls you in with its innovated battle system that is simply, fun. Me and my friends had a 4 player co op experience and it's unbelievably like no other gaming experiences. If you really want to just have fun this is the perfect game. The game play is just so amazing and brings ton of replay value.

I care more about
    the gameplay than anything else, however I guess I should bring up the other points for those who are wondering.

Game play - It's perfect experience especially up to 3 more buddies.
    Music/Sound - Decent enough to be a filler.
    Story - Decent enough, could be way better but the game play makes you not care as much.
    Replay Value - Is perfect. So many side quests, so much fun and so much more extra content that you won't get bored anytime soon.

This game is simply a 10/10 for me. Game play is the most important focus for me and it's pretty much perfect. Story and all that jazz are extra and doesn't hurt the game play too much.

P.S: Completed the game three times so far.
  34. Apr 11, 2012
    Great game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS3 exclusive Games =awesome!!!

Every body should buy this awesome game, you must buy this awesome game, PS3 4 life!
  35. AJS
    May 16, 2012
    I think this is my new favorite tales game. The story was good, but the characters were even better. It's one of the few games where I actually liked all of the characters! None of them were annoying or pointless. The skits were well written, and I laughed quite a bit while playing the game. Having a post game arc to wrap things up was ingenious. I think the lineage arc was probably the most entertaining part of the game. I strongly recommend playing this, especially if you're an rpg/story fan! Expand
  36. May 21, 2012
    I love the tales games. My favorite is still tales of symphonie, but this is a great game too. I wish they had blood though, and sometimes lines can Gerry pretty corny, but for the most part it's suspenseful and even surprising!
  37. Jul 31, 2012
    This game was very fun and exciting. The characters were well written and they even added a little humor to the dialogue which was pretty cool. I would recommend this game too much any type of gamer as it wasn't too hard to play even if you're not an rpg year wasn't too difficult to learn how to play this game.
  38. Feb 9, 2013
    I have no idea why some people are being negative to this game its absolutely amazing it has great graphics and i love the battle system its so much fun when you get used to it and the characters are so good. It also keeps that tales of charm and always has me laughing.
  39. Nov 1, 2012
    I am fairly biased with the Tales series, however this game is one of the best, the only downfall is that the difficulty dramatically changes and becomes extreme towards the end even if you are level 65. The story is good, characters and voice acting are fun just like it should be in a Tales game.
  40. May 8, 2012
    I have been a fan of the Tales series since Tales of the Abyss came out on the PS2. After playing through Tales of Vesperia, and then through Tales of Graces, I have to say that Graces is my favorite in the series. The graphics hold up well for being originally on Wii, and the story and combat are a ton of fun. Highly recommend this title.
  41. May 8, 2012
    Not many games come out of no where and make a huge impact on me. I usually know of every game I want to buy and play before it is even out. However, this game slipped my radar, and I am so glad I went and looked at PlayStation 3 games a couple weeks back, or I would of missed this gem.

Tales of Graces Æ
  42. Apr 30, 2012
    Tales of Graces f is a great game, and I don't say that alot about Japanese RPG's. Gameplay is solid and simple for hardcore fans and newcomers alike. As far as the story goes I think people are turned off by the friendship thing because that is one of the biggest aspects of life shown in culture so it only makes sense for them to talk about friendship, loyalty, all that fun stuff. Cultural differences are probably the only thing hindering it. The only RPGs I have ever really enjoyed were things like Skyrim and Mass Effect. For me to really like a JapRPG is big. Expand
  43. Jul 26, 2013
    This was my third Tales game and I would have to say it was my least favorite. It lacks the same character development the other ones have and it seems have taken a more serious route with this one. Which in terms has removed some of the funny cutscenes. Though to clear things up it's more the friendships of character that develops not the characters themselves. Plus the very first 2 or so hours kinda of suck and question if you really wanna keep playing, but trust me it picks up after that. The combat is heavily based around combos which is pretty cool. But they completely removed TP so you can basically spam artes, that is until your combo meter runs out and you have to defend. There is also a title system that I really didn't like all that much, but I got over it quickly. Overall it's a good game with a few problems. Worth buying or at least renting. 9/10 Expand
  44. Aug 24, 2013
    Absolutely my favourite game so far, awesome storyline, great combat system, now i just finished playing tales of xillia, also beautifull can't wait for the next game.
  45. Feb 3, 2014
    The game is great, yes there are some things some people would not like, but it's no big deal at all. First, the game is not strictly 'linear', there are just some necessary blocks to avoid gamer to wander in places and then get lost, nothing wrong with that, i still felt pretty free to go around. I liked the voices too, my big complain is that the story is nice, but really focusing so much on friendship...felt forced. At least everything develops well, is you get a little tired of battles you can simply put all your chars in automatic for a while even grind some exp this way, of course don't do this every time or you will miss titles. I felt the game was longer than it is, so much i wanted to finish it to play something else . Oh , even more story after beating the game in the extra section is very nice :). Expand
  46. Apr 13, 2012
    Tales of graces f doesn't break any new grounds or tell a particular original tale but it's still definitely worth your attention in these times of jrpg drought. The tales series never had a huge fanbase outside of japan so it's of no surprise that not even half of the games get released over here. After petitions and thousands of begging from the fans to namco we finally get a tales game released in the west after 4 years since vesperia. Tales of graces was originally a wii exclusive that came out in japan in 2009 right before ff13 jpn release. The game bombed and namco released a improved version for the ps3 to much success in japan. We received the definitive version of the game and i'm happy to report that it was worth the wait.

Story and characters are a little bland in this game. It's not like it's bad but it just feels like namco has done this formula before but better. The characters don't stand out much and the story is very basic i know they could have done more with it but decided to play it safe. This results in a decent cast of character and a passable story.
    Graphically the game looks good. You can tell it was originally a wii game but the game still holds up it doesn't look incredible but it gets the job done. Character designs are a little weaker in this installment in my opinion but it's still a very nice looking game.

Sound wise is easily in my opinion the weakest part of the game. Motoi sakuraba is a very talented composer and in my opinion this game is not one of his best work. A lot of the tracks just don't stand out and are very forgettable. A few are ok but for the most part it was very disappointing. The voice actors did a good job none of them felt annoying to me and they all felt appropriate. Gameplay wise is kind of a mix. The battle system is incredible one of the best i've seen in the genre. The tp system most of the tales fans in the west are familiar with is now replaced with the CC system. This adds alot of depht to the combat and prevents dumb button mashing. The battle system takes a while to master but when you do few games battle system will feel comparable. Out of battle the game is your typical jrpg run from point A to point B and then cutscene time pretty much throughout the whole game.

Tales of graces f doesn't break you grounds but if your a fan of jrpgs then i'd recommend this game solely for the fact that you won't find much better on consoles in the genre for the next while.

Tales of Graces f is a tale of magic and fantasy with a touch of political and social intrigue easily recommended to anyone who loves this specific genre.
  2. Oct 27, 2012
    The characters are dreadful and the story is not much more than passable, but the combat system and character building is the best yet for the series. If you don't mind annoying characters, you'll have a blast.
  3. Oct 8, 2012