8.5

1. Feb 25, 2014
    Such a great JRPG. Tales of Symphonia Chronicles has outstanding graphics - one of its strongest points. The combat is phenomenal, and the adventure element is to die for. I highly recommend it!
  2. Feb 25, 2014
    Somehow a port ot a ten year old game becomes.......the best game in the PS3 library.

This game was a classic with deep challenging gameplay, a massive adventure, a top-notch story, a great soundtrack, great characters, and the newest edition has dual audio, 720P resolution, and although the battle framerate technically drops from 60fps to 30fps, this actually leads to a smoother experience as there is less stutter/slowdown.

If you're an RPG fan, you owe it to yourself to play ToS. It's nothing like the mediocre Xillia or the terrible Graces F, by the way.
  3. Feb 26, 2014
    A good port of a classic JRPG, this bundle, for anyone who is already interested in it, was mainly made for the first game, the original Tales of Symphonia, and not its sequel. But if you never played the Wii-exclusive sequel before, this is a good chance to play it. The original is a classic game and it's what really started the Tales series popularity in the U.S. back when it came outA good port of a classic JRPG, this bundle, for anyone who is already interested in it, was mainly made for the first game, the original Tales of Symphonia, and not its sequel. But if you never played the Wii-exclusive sequel before, this is a good chance to play it. The original is a classic game and it's what really started the Tales series popularity in the U.S. back when it came out for the Gamecube. While the battle system has been refined over the last few games, it's still very fun and it is a good chance to revisit a game that, at least for myself, I haven't played in years. The graphics are dated, obviously, even with the HD touchup they got. And I personally can't stand the fact that the skits aren't voiced in this game like they started to be in Tales of Vesperia. It can also be a bit hard at times, especially in the early game. You'll need to grind for a bit at the beginning to even stand a chance against some of the early bosses. But this is a classic game that every RPG fan needs to play. And, if you're even a little interested in the sequel, this is the best chance to play that version as well. Expand
  4. Mar 1, 2014
    It has to be said. The original Game Tales of Symphonia is still one of the Best JRPGs of all Time.
    This collection has such a large content for this price...
    ToS 2 is not quite so good, but not too bad either, but simply for the first game on this disc...its just unbelievable good.
    Played it now for nearly 10 hours, and the graphics are not that bad for a HD-Edition :)
  5. Mar 10, 2014
    I never played Tales of Symphonia when it originally came out so I decided to give it a chance this time around. I'm a little less than 20 hours in and my experience so far has been very solid. It starts out a little slow but definitely starts to pick up pace the farther in you go. The combat system is very different when compared to a normal JRPG, which will allow this game to beI never played Tales of Symphonia when it originally came out so I decided to give it a chance this time around. I'm a little less than 20 hours in and my experience so far has been very solid. It starts out a little slow but definitely starts to pick up pace the farther in you go. The combat system is very different when compared to a normal JRPG, which will allow this game to be remembered for quite sometime. The only draw back I have found within this game is the voice acting, its rather hit or miss for most people and in my case it is quite awkward. If you never played this game back when it came out I suggest giving it a go, and if you're tight on money, I would recommend just buying the original Tales of Symphonia off of the PSN for $20 cheaper because the secondary story is somewhat lackluster. Expand
  6. Mar 7, 2014
    Sometimes, well oftentimes, graphics are overrated (e.g., Chrono Trigger). And sometimes a plot is so good you forget the game is 10 years old. I did not play Symphonia on my Gamecube, and if not for this re-release I would have definitely missed out.

Further, you get two games for less than the regular price of one.
  7. May 24, 2014
    As a long time JRPG fan; I had always heard of how good the Tales games were; yet I had never played any of them. After this remaster came out, I decided to correct that situation by starting with Symphonia, one of the most beloved titles in the whole saga. The game did´nt disappoint at all: its a perfect example of what, to me, is the fundamental equation behind any good RPG: an epicAs a long time JRPG fan; I had always heard of how good the Tales games were; yet I had never played any of them. After this remaster came out, I decided to correct that situation by starting with Symphonia, one of the most beloved titles in the whole saga. The game did´nt disappoint at all: its a perfect example of what, to me, is the fundamental equation behind any good RPG: an epic story, well-paced and filled with adventure, plus a memorable cast of likable, diverse characters that moves such story forward. Worth mentioning is the tight, highly dynamic and entertaining combat system (battles go quite faster that in your usual "turn-based" RPG), which apparently is a constant for the Tales games. I absolutely recommend this game, to both new and old JPRG fans! Expand
  8. Jul 29, 2014
    A really good RPG series with a great story, varied combat, and beautiful graphics. Really worth all the praise it gets. Dawn of the New World isn't as good, but still great.
  9. Oct 25, 2014
    Sometimes a game looses a well deserved score just for a hater, and no, is not someone with a different opinion, someone may say he hated zelda a link to the past, and thats good, but the game's still a masterpiece no matter what.
    Same happens here, if you LOVE rpgs you simply have to play tales of symphonia, end of story. Great visuals, music, amazing story and the gameplay is not bad at all. This game is actually one of the best rpgs since a while, along with xenoblade, last story, and a very few others. I can say is better than all final fantasies in cd format tied with 9 maybe.

So if you didnt played it on the Cube be nice to your videogaming needs and get this, looks even better with the overhaul on the ps3! And has the sequel which is nothing big but is not bad either.
  10. Jan 8, 2015
    This game is more amazing then I actually thought it was.

Story - Seems cliche at 1st but gets better and better. What builds up the story is the amazing cast of characters. Characters - Lloyd - is the cool I'm going to save the world type of protagonist. Raine - in the beginning wasn't that interesting but later on when her back story is explained you just feel really bad for her
    This game is more amazing then I actually thought it was.

Raine - in the beginning wasn't that interesting but later on when her back story is explained you just feel really bad for her and also Genis I'm feeling sad talking about it right now.

Zelos - is a pervert he's also the guy that lights things up when something sad happens he's also hilarious and most of the characters in the game don't really like him I am 1 of the few people who actually thinks he's a cool character.

Colette - is the selfless nice girl she's also clumsy. Some might not like her but I love her maybe because Colette's character is exactly the type of personality I like in real life.

Shina - she's a summoner and that's enough to make her a cool character.

Presea - Presea rarely talks in this game but her backstory is kind of sad but even that is not enough to make me say she's a great character.

Regal - At 1st I saw Regal as just another character to add to my party but his story is just so sad. I can't really describe Regal he has blue hair handcuffs and kicks enemies in combat instead of using his hands.

Kratos - What more can I say other than he's a badass. At 1st I used to hate Kratos like Lloyd did but as the game goes on he becomes a very interesting character even after beating the whole game I still want to know more about him. I also have alot of respect for Kratos too.

The Villains, The Desians & Angels - Loved all the villains loved fighting them loved how evil
    & sinister they are.

Emil - Worst character ever he should go commit suicide or at least let me go into the game and kill him myself. I see no future for him at all. At least his character gets a little bit of development I haven't beat the game yet but I still think I'm going to hate him after I beat it. The good thing about Emil is that he has a dark alternate personality called Ratatosk who is much more of a badass than Emil could ever hope to be. Ratatosk also has a good voice actor I don't know his name but he is the voice of Ichigo Kurosaki in Bleach.

Marta - Not bad but not interesting. The only reason Marta is in this game is because she loves Emil I don't know how anyone can love a pathetic loser like Emil? But she does. Marta also has an obsession with Emil Dawn of The New World might be Yandere(You have been warned). Marta is at least more tolerable then Emil is.

Graphics - Great only complaint is the Overworld which looks like graphics from a PS1 Game enhanced for a PS2 Game and put into a PS3 Game.

Gameplay - I don't know why but the beginning is kind of hard just a tiny bit difficult because they don't give you enough items and they throw you into a boss battle expecting you to be good at playing already. But after the 1st Boss its smooth sailing for the player. The game gets so much more fun later on and it also gets more challenging too including some of the puzzles. I ended up stuck in the Temple of Darkness for a really long time almost 3 days. I even stopped playing the game for 1 day because I couldn't solve the puzzle.

Sound - Motoi Sakuraba did a surprisingly good job Standing The Pain, Desert Flower, Searching A Seal, Dry Trail & Keen Edged Blade are just some of the amazing songs in this game. The 2nd game is mostly remixes of tracks from the 1st game. I personally prefer the original over the remixes but some of them are not bad.

Replay Value - Really high I don't know why but everytime I play a PS2 Game I get nostalgia and this game is the samething. I never played this game in my life until I got it for PS3 but I feel so immersed into the Symphonia World that I want to experience the whole thing again.

There's also 2 other reasons to replay the game 1 is because this game has some moments in them where you can change what happens there are also some decisions you make that will effect your relationships with party members. Based on some decisions party members might die or 1 of them may not participate in the final battle. The 2nd reason is because you can start the game again but what you have when you start the game again depends on the amount of points you get. You can start again at Lvl 35 you can take all your items with you and etc its like a New Game+ Mode.

Overall - This would be a 10/10 if it wasn't for Dawn of The New World which takes Symphonia and rips it apart from the inside. I haven't beaten it yet but alot of people will tell you DOTW isn't really all that great. I'm simply here to praise the masterpiece of the 1st Symphonia which has given me alot of nostalgia & memories.
  11. Jan 3, 2015
    I absolutely loved this game. The game is challenging, even in the easiest mode, and it has pretty hard bosses. Also, the game is filled with side-quests and optional bosses. I really think that the game is one of the best you'll find in the PS3 library.

1. Aug 18, 2014
    Symphonia alone is worth the price of admission.
  2. Jun 28, 2014
    After all these years Myst is still a masterpiece, a brilliant game that deserves acclaim. [05/2014, p.73]
  3. Tales of Symphonia Chronicles includes the PlayStation 2 port of Tales of Symphonia and Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World. With new costumes and new 3D graphics, the story seems so nostalgic.