8.6

1. Sep 9, 2013
    waited for this for ages, huge disappointment. This game is a mess. after playing tales of graces, the beginning of this game is utterly boring. There is no reason to like any of these characters, they have little depth or introduction, no real relationships or life to speak of. the game is dank and gloomy and the music is depressing. the battle system is horrendous, the game throws so much information at you before giving you chance to learn or adapt. not long after I was told one thing, it would tell me something else, I got so far into the game and found I was basically floundering about mashing the buttons. looking in the menu, I found functions that I apparently had been told about but just did not remember. there are way too many enemies as well which makes this game not much more than a grind-fest. the environments are dull and repetitive. I don't have much more to say besides, I waited for this game and even pleaded with it to give me some reason to play. in the end I just switched it off. 5 hours of my life and £45 utterly wasted. Expand
  2. Sep 27, 2013
    This is by far the worst entry in the series i have played, and when compared to tales of graces F is a something that should be hidden in the basement.

It is a usual tales affair for the most part but from the very first dungeon the game reeks of a rushed out game. It has some of the most bland environments i've seen in a current gen game coupled with the slowest paced clunky combat in
    any tales game. You will leave a city area and find an open field filled with random droppings of "environment" such as trees and rocks but it is completely lifeless. These are copy paste cookie cutter trees and locations stuffed to the brim with monsters, unable to take more than a few steps before being forced into another fight.

The combat itself does get better over time, but starts off as pain, clumsy and awkward and never really goes away. You'll find yourself having to eat every enemy attack because you can't dodge or block fast enough while attacking with significant downtime after each attack, couple this with the addition of mana for your normal artes (that fills far to slowly) and your left only spamming your normal free attacks indefinitely to kill the endless amount of creatures. The addition of the links does nothing to help alleviate the sheer boredom i faced during battles as the AI most doesn't know what its doing. Half the time you are attack and it refuses to attack with you and so are unable to actually use link artes the other it's off attacking a entirely different monster.

On top of this the much favoured combo system from the previous tales game, graces F, has been down away with. No longer does the directional input with my basic attack differentiate my basic artes ina meaningful way, instead it is replaced with an auto attack like version with no discernible differences, which leaves no room for imaginative combo's with the large delay between the casting of the real artes.

They have done away with titles and now given you orbs which apon each level you gain a point to distribute. The problem is there is no variance, no skill tree's, you can't actually make a mistake. Simple use of the auto distribute will net you the same results, which totals a very shallow system of false complexity.

Everything else is largely the same to other series in regards to stories and characters, but with the entire combat system in such a wretched state you are left spending hours grinding boring monsters with a clunky system only to have these story moments dulled by ugly bland environments and all drip fed at a terrible pace.

Easily the worst tales in the series, even if this game was free i would still feel cheated for the time i wasted trying to like it.
  3. Feb 25, 2014
    The only other game I've played in this series is Tales of Eternia on the PSP which for the most part I enjoyed. Strangely, none of the problems I had with this game were present in that one but I digress.

The worst part of this game, I believe, is the way that the levels are laid out. There are items EVERYWHERE, you cannot step two feet without bumping into something to pick up from a
    chest, or a tree or the ground and everything you find is worthless. All that you can do with 95% of this stuff is sell it, and it's EVERYWHERE, I need to stress this. On top of that, there are far too many monsters to fight, and there will usually be a variety of around 2 monsters in one entire area (30m - 1h of play time). On top of this, these environments are boring, in the first 15 hours that I've played, I haven't found one that I really found interesting (university, city, different city, field, town, field, forest, beach, forest, field etc.). All of this together means that the environment as a whole does nothing to improve your experience, which is worrying to say the least.

The characters aren't too badly fleshed out, although they never truly make you connect as a player, the main character in particular is purposefully made very unemotional and bland which only serves to further distance yourself from her.

The story is unique, but that isn't to say that's it's necessarily good. It's very slow paced (10h to get to where we were going after the start) and it just feels as though the game is padding itself to get the run time to the "acceptable" time (30 - 40h) for an RPG.

The shop system caused me gripes too. There is a very odd system whereby you must pay the shops to sell you different things, and they are essentially the same shop in every town. I don't understand the need for this. Up until now, we had different towns sell us different equipment and that worked just fine, why change it?

Overall, this game just feels soul-less, I couldn't understand where it was trying to go. The staple for this series has always been the innovative combat system, and thankfully it seems to have kept some of that charm which is the only part I found entertaining throughout the game (though repetitive enemies were again a little grating).

Tales of Xillia is nothing revolutionary, but if JRPGs are your thing, you'll be more than satisfied, as it has a lot more to offer than one would expect. [Nov 2013]
  2. Oct 5, 2013
    A great RPG adventure with action-packed real-time battles. The characters are interesting, but the main story relies too much on passive anime sequences. [Sept 2013]
  3. Oct 1, 2013
    There is nothing inherently wrong with the game, nor is there anything to make me recommend it. If you love JRPGs, you might enjoy this. If not, it will probably reinforce all your negative ideas about JRPGs.