5.7

1. Feb 13, 2011
    The thing that prompted me to go straight out and buy this game were the bad reviews. While that may sound rather silly, I had a good reason, which was the fact that it sounded like fun, in part because of the bad things about it. Pretty much every negative thing said about this game is true to some extent or another, and the result is absolute hilarity. That, to me, is what makes it so fun. When I'm barrelling down the road at 120 mph for no good reason at all, slip off on a corner, hit a pebble, and flip and fly through the air like an acrobatic crystal meth user, or when I drive a VW Golf to the top of a mountain and hurl it off the other side, or when a group of online players start up an impromptu demolition derby in the middle of a field, it's extremely funny. In the 6 hours I spent playing last night, I laughed out loud more than I ever have at a game. A lot of the people playing online seem to feel the same way, because people were just zooming around, driving off mountains, going offroad and just screwing around, which is exactly what I want the option to do in a multiplayer game; just have fun for no reason at all other than for some laughs. So basically, if you like driving games at all and want something that is just completely crazy and fun, this is for you. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love GT5 and serious racing games of that nature, but sometimes I just want to be silly, and this game is the perfect option for that.

One final note about the car handling: it's not BAD, it's just really STRANGE. I say that because once you get used to the bizarre handling, it's easy to control your car, you just need to remember that the world you exist in in this game is pretty damn weird to begin with, so why would your car handle even the least bit normally? I actually found myself taking advantage of the oddness of it after awhile.

Oh, and the graphics: While pretty terrible at times, they're also absolutely gorgeous at others. Overall I'd call it a pretty good looking game, considering the scope of it.
  2. Feb 16, 2011
    Misunderstood game. Usually I would rate a game lower than the critics but I happen to love this game. Could be because I enjoy a traffic/driving simulator over racing simulator. While most racing games has better car details, this one has a lot more road, and details of stuff that matters to me. Traffic, weather, day/night etc. Most games has an invisible wall at the edge of the road. In this game, whole Oahu and Ibiza is open. I'd hope for a better physic/collision system, but it doesn't spoil the fun. I general, no other racing games provide a realistic world with progression system like this one. Presentation and story is far from good, but in this game it doesn't matter. It's not an adventure game, it's a driving game - story doesn't mean anything. This game has a great atmosphere, and if I read the review before I bought it, I wouldn't have bought it. I'm so glad I pre-paid this game. I'll spend much more time with this game than GT5. I'll easily defend a 9. Expand
  3. Feb 8, 2014
    for me one of the best games of 2011! many cars, many modes, much fun, pretty hard sometimes, but it feels so good to win and get the money and your own cars!

1. May 24, 2011
    We were really looking foreward to TDU 2. The controls of the cars and the AI are really poor. Online multiplayer is more offline than online.
  2. Mar 30, 2011
    While not quite a lemon, Test Drive Unlimited 2 proves to share a similar fate to its predecessor in that it possesses a host of flaws under its shiny coat of paint that make for one frustrating ride.
  3. The longer you play it, too, the more enjoyment you'll get out of it, but only because you start to accept TDU2's many shortcomings and instead enjoy its endless possibilities. [Apr 2011, p.116]