5.0

1. May 31, 2014
    The creators could have spent much more time on this game. The graphics weren't a big step up and they looked more like a cartoon on the PS4. The story was not that good either. This game is not a big difference to the 1st game and the boss battles were all boring. Controls are also messed up. There are barely any missions and buying this game would be a big waste of your time.
  2. Apr 29, 2014
    only 14 main missions and riddled with enemies that block super powers hindering freeplay in the city. The other side missions are mostly uninspired and take less than 30 seconds to complete and have about 5 different variants. Character customization / upgrades are all limited to skills doing more damage nothing more.
    A very poor attempt at Prototype/Infamous fails at everything it does.
    A very poor attempt at Prototype/Infamous fails at everything it does. The PS3 version also buggy trophies not unlocking/freezes
  3. May 2, 2014
    I love Spider-Man and I love Beenox, but this game is just... ahhhh it's not very good. Very unpolished and it's just missing all the elements that make a game fun. The same character models, which aren't very good, are used over and over and over again. Time after time you are scratching head going "Really? This is a PS3 game?"

I enjoyed the game, but it totally lacks the key WOW

I enjoyed the game, but it totally lacks the key WOW elements that make it a must own.
  4. Apr 29, 2014
    I think the only downside to this game is that there are just too few missions, story and side. I LOVE the new webslinging mechanics. I've played every Spider-Man game and my two favorite are Web of Shadows and Ultimate Spider-Man. This game is better than both of those. I like being in control of my webs when I'm slinging them. Not like the last game where you hold a button and watchI think the only downside to this game is that there are just too few missions, story and side. I LOVE the new webslinging mechanics. I've played every Spider-Man game and my two favorite are Web of Shadows and Ultimate Spider-Man. This game is better than both of those. I like being in control of my webs when I'm slinging them. Not like the last game where you hold a button and watch Spidey swing from invisible points in the air above buildings. That was the worst! Some say the controls are glitchy or whatever. That's what I thought at first, but within an hour I was as graceful as, well, graceful as freakin' Spider-Man! The controls are an art, if you use them right (it's really not that difficult), then the game will feel magical. If you use them wrong, then the game will feel terrible, I'm sure. When I get a good webslinging going, it feels so freeing! --- The core of the game plays like the Batman: Arkham Series. The combat controls are damn-near the same, as is the stealth gameplay. I was quite happy about that because I am pretty good at Arkham. The web-rush is awesome, adding a lot of precision to Spidey's combat and movement around the city. All-in-All, the game has been exciting for me. I feel like Activision finally took a big step in the right direction as far as Spider-Man video games is concerned.

And that is the review that it deserves.
  5. May 3, 2014
    The Amazing Spider-Man 2 has to be one of the most underrated video games of this year. It's not a perfect game, by any means, but as a Spider-Man game, it succeeds in nearly every respect.

It far surpasses its predecessor by building on its mechanics, adding more varied side missions, having a more coherent, almost "classic" Spider-Man narrative. The game ditches the concept of nearly every enemy being a robot, and clearly, this is for the best. The added Peter Parker sections, while nothing groundbreaking, do help break up the pace, and give fans what they've wanted in a Spider-Man game for a long time now; more focus on Parker himself.

The combat and stealth mechanics are nearly the same as they were in the previous game, which is serviceable and works well. However, this time around there's no button to press to simply escape everything trying to kill you, and this is a replaced with a well implemented system of Spider-Man using his (or the player's) own wits to escape and "web up" his wounds. While added animations to this mechanic would have helped immensely, it's still greatly appreciated that it's there, and that the regenerating health system has been axed.

The pace of the game and the natural progression of missions works well, all considered. Given your time in Manhattan, you're given side missions to partake in to add to your "hero" meter. If you neglect these side missions, then the meter will start to fall into the "menace" segment, and you'll be chased by officials hired by Oscorp to take out vigilantes, I.E., Spider-Man. It's not an amazing or groundbreaking mechanic by itself, yet considering it rises and falls as quickly as it does, it does make for a game that moves at a breakneck pace, regardless of doing the same 5 side missions over and over. Most side missions have just enough variation to them that it doesn't become a problem.

The idea of using different Spidey suits for different effects to the character works very well. Each suit has its own, independent level meter, which you can choose to level up by beating up thugs and the like at any time. The suits have different effects, ranging from damage increases to stickier webbing, and it's a nice addition that is bound to suit anyone's play style.

One more thing worth noting is the web swinging mechanics. They're greatly improved in this game compared to its predecessor. Gone are the days of Spidey's webs sticking to thin air. This time around, you have to attach your webs to buildings throughout the city. While it's more of a visual effect than a fully realized mechanic, as seen in Ultimate Spider-Man, the game still tries to retain the same feel, and it's successful in doing so. Web slinging and zipping around the city feels freeing and exhilarating, and I can't stress how much of an improvement it is in comparison to the last game.

The visuals, at least on PS3, fare very well. Draw distance is long, the lighting effects look great, character models (though sometimes overused) are detailed, and Spidey himself, along with the main villains and main characters, look wonderful. Overall, there's not too much to complain about on the visual side of things. However, the game is not without its bugs (pun intended, of course).

There are some clipping issues here and there, and sometimes Spidey will float in thin air in the middle of a fist fight. This doesn't break the game, by any means, but the random freezes do. They don't happen that often, but when things seem to get too hectic, the game will just lock up. So far, it's only happened to me once within hours upon hours of play, but it's something worth noting.

All in all, this is an awesome Spidey game. I truly think it's the best Spidey game to release since Ultimate Spider-Man, which, for the record, I think is a far superior game to Spider-Man 2, speaking objectively. Granted, none of these games reach the awesome factor of Maximum Carnage or Spider-Man vs. Kingpin, but I have to say, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 comes close.

I sincerely don't understand all the negativity toward this game. Absolutely everything from its predecessor was improved, and the game is fast paced and is extremely fun to play. What more could you ask for in a Spidey game?
  6. May 1, 2014
    Where is all the hate coming from? Yes, it's not a very polished game and the graphics are not near next-gen, but it's a lot of fun anyways! The web-swinging is great in this one, best since Web of Shadows, maybe even better, but you need PRACTICE!! Skillzzzz! If you get the hang of it, it's a blast to swing through the city. I like the new stealth-mechanics. Together with the improvedWhere is all the hate coming from? Yes, it's not a very polished game and the graphics are not near next-gen, but it's a lot of fun anyways! The web-swinging is great in this one, best since Web of Shadows, maybe even better, but you need PRACTICE!! Skillzzzz! If you get the hang of it, it's a blast to swing through the city. I like the new stealth-mechanics. Together with the improved combat, this game feels a lot like the Batman Arkham Series. My only gripe with it? Too short... 15 Missions is NOT enough. But I am enough! Expand
  7. May 6, 2014
    Oh God, why was this game rushed out? After attempting to play this for 45 minutes, we had to stop recording due to the games broken physics and its lack of polish. Glad we rented it for $2.50, this game is not barely even worth that. Such a disappointment since the last game was not all that bad.
  8. Jul 7, 2014
    The game is all about the story and side missions. Story is 3 to 4 hours long, it's not so bad but also not so interesting.Side missions give one to two hours more to play and that's it. I recommend to buy this game when it's price is low. Game is fine but too short and glitchy.
  9. Apr 29, 2014
    I loved that previous Amazing Spiderman videogame, so I was looking forward to this one, but it's nothing short of awful. Controls are a mess, graphics are beyond bad, the web slinging is ruined, the story sucks, playing as Peter Parker is boring and unnecessary, load times are a pain, and it's just not a fun game. Don't buy now, don't even bother picking up when it drops in price. Just goI loved that previous Amazing Spiderman videogame, so I was looking forward to this one, but it's nothing short of awful. Controls are a mess, graphics are beyond bad, the web slinging is ruined, the story sucks, playing as Peter Parker is boring and unnecessary, load times are a pain, and it's just not a fun game. Don't buy now, don't even bother picking up when it drops in price. Just go see the new movie or play the previous Amazing Spiderman game. Expand
  10. Jan 13, 2015
    Pitiful. As in, this game should be pitied for it's negative reviews. OK, so I admit it's not exactly a polished game, but the graphics are so realistic! So fun to beat up fat guys, electric guys, Goblin guys, globby guys, the possibilities are endless!!! Control is good too
  11. May 22, 2014
    It is terrible! The karma system sucks and is way too harsh. The missions are crap and the story is terrible. The only good thing is the web swinging and they **** that up too. You can't build up momentum and why web swing when you can just teleport where you want to go? It sucks.

1. CD-Action
    Jul 25, 2014
    I would have loved to write that Beenox did for Spidey what Rocksteady did for Batman. Not this time. It’s obviously a product done quickly and cheaply. Swinging around Manhattan is fun, but combat is pitiful, dynamic events are painfully repetitive, visuals are obsolete and it looks like the story was written during a coffee break. [07/2014, p.64]
  2. Jul 16, 2014
    Quotation forthcoming.
  3. May 8, 2014
    While the first The Amazing Spider-Man could have been a great launch point, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 feels like the same thing all over again with, at most, half steps taken to improve.