The Cursed Crusade PlayStation 3

5.0

1. Dec 18, 2016
    The cursed crusade is one of those games you realize was put strong effort on and has great visuals with an attempt of good storytelling, nevertheless falls short on it.

Nevertheless even with its flaws it is fun to play and definitely recommended if you accept its flaws. I cannot comment on Co-op or Online modes because I did not try them. Positive: - Visuals: The strongest point,

- Visuals: The strongest point, quite good graphics for a simple title
    - Fighting and animation: Movements and animations feel authentic
    - Re-playability/Collectives: For the completionist people this might be a bonus

Could have been better:
    - Storyline: feels shallow
    - Characters: personality overload, do not generate connection like weak jokes
    - Weapon systems: Great effort put on weapons combination, but it feels incomplete
    - Bugs: Graphics out of place and character gets stuck.
  2. Nov 12, 2014
    I highly disagree with the other ratings here. This game reminds me a LOT of Dragon's Dogma, with a simpler(is it?) combo system.

That being said it's not the BEST game I've played, but I enjoyed the combos, and the demon mode, and the cross bow was fun.

This was game was def a good buy on sale, and I enjoyed it :)
  3. Sep 5, 2012
    Certainly not the best game there is, but still a bit under-rated. Graphically unimpressive with a boring plotline. But if you can find this game on a discount (which is easy considering its reviews) and you have a friend to play it with, it's certainly worth picking up if you don't mind the serious lack of difficulty, and you can appreciate Esteban for his comedic, yet stereotypic,Certainly not the best game there is, but still a bit under-rated. Graphically unimpressive with a boring plotline. But if you can find this game on a discount (which is easy considering its reviews) and you have a friend to play it with, it's certainly worth picking up if you don't mind the serious lack of difficulty, and you can appreciate Esteban for his comedic, yet stereotypic, value. It's a fun game, but I would suggest something among the lines of Demon's Souls, (or Dark Souls) or Dragon's Dogma instead. Expand
  4. Sep 14, 2014
    This game is pretty tough to get along with. Almost everything about it needs a bit more fine tuning. The storyline, the character animation, the voice acting and just the overall quality of gameplay were quite lackluster. Despite this I've tried my best to appreciate the good qualities and it could be what you need if you are just looking for a bit of mindless sword fighting.

The

The storyline is far from captivating even though it tries to capture struggle and redemption. You play as Denz de Bayle who teams up with a Spaniard named Esteban Noviembre in joining the Forth Crusade. Denz believes that joining the crusade will allow him to track down his father who never returned from Jerusalem during the previous crusade. Denz is heavily motivated to find his father because much of their family's belongings had been seized by Denz's uncle and Denz's father is the only who who can make things right again. During the search both Denz and Esteban are cursed and marked for Death so they try to find a way to rid themselves of this haunting.

I must respect the writers for the effort that they put into such a storyline but I just can't feel very interested in how it all plays out in the game. This is where I feel like there is wasted potential. The concept of the storyline could have been fine if everything played out in a more dynamic and interesting way. You may find yourself skipping over cut scenes for this reason.

The combat system definitely tries it's best to be dynamic but fighting can still progress in a slow and crude manner. The foremost form of fighting is just straight up sword fighting but you can also activated a "cursed-mode" where you harness the power of the curse to increase your strength and cast fire attacks. You are able us a variety of melee weapons ranging from maces and axes to swords and scythes. You have the option of using a bow, crossbow or the cursed-mode fire crossbow when you need to use ranged attacks. This may sound interesting at first but it's where there seems to be a bit more wasted potential. If the combat mechanics were tweaked to be more fluid then it could have added a lot more value to the weapons and abilities.

This game supports both online and split-screen co-op. Good luck finding anybody who's playing online however, and unfortunately co-op may not even add a whole lot of value if you find the game to be unplayable in general. Co-op is available throughout the game and you are usually able to fight along with your friend but there are some cases where the characters must split-up and be on their own for a while.

Again with more wasted potential. After looking at the story, the combat system and the co-op features it seems like this game really tried to have a lot of good ideas to create this epic adventure that you can share with a friend, but the overall tone of how this game is executed is very dry and you probably are not gonna find yourself on the edge of your seat from the action. Despite my complaints I still have a sense of respect for this game. It's just looks and feels very low budget which can be hard to get over at times.

1. PSM3 Magazine UK
    Dec 1, 2011
    A real dog of a historical slasher. [Christmas 2011, p.107]
  2. Playstation: The Official Magazine (US)
    Nov 26, 2011
    Even for a budget title the combat system is nothing short of a clunky mess, with slow animations and unsatisfying combos. [Holiday 2011, p.83]
  3. Play UK
    Nov 18, 2011
    Not the worst game ever made, just doing a very good job of mimicking it on first impressions. [Issue#211, p.96]