The Darkness PlayStation 3

7.7

1. Jul 11, 2012
    I also agree with JasonH. If it were not for that gameplay-because the story is quite interesting, this could have gotten a higher rating from me. Only played it to play sequel, now not sure anymore.
  2. Jan 8, 2014
    I have no idea what to think about this game; the story and the characters are the only things that will make you go on. Both are pretty nice and immersing, you`re going to find yourself keep going on only to find out how everything will play out. And that would be all the pros I can think of: the gameplay is slow as hell, the level design is confusing and stretched at times and the usageI have no idea what to think about this game; the story and the characters are the only things that will make you go on. Both are pretty nice and immersing, you`re going to find yourself keep going on only to find out how everything will play out. And that would be all the pros I can think of: the gameplay is slow as hell, the level design is confusing and stretched at times and the usage of the Darkness is very limited and disappointing. The graphics aged terribly and are on par with Killzone 1 at best. Even though I enjoyed the experience overall I wouldn't recommend this game to anyone who can't appreciate a good story and is unable to ignore the terrible gameplay. Expand
  3. May 29, 2017
    *This is a retrospective review of an old game and thus probably won't help anyone or really be necessary, but it gives me a creative outlet to write for. In the case that someone reads this and it helps them make a decision on the game, glad I could help.*

Although I didn't score this game highly, I do hold a special place for it. I find it important however to admit that this game is barely above average if at all. Like other Starbreeze developed games it's extremely "rough" for lack of a better term.

There are parts of this game that I enjoy, and concepts that I do like. Just in general, The Darkness (the character/entity) is extremely interesting and the voice acting done by Mike Patton is **** phenomenal. I thought the "open world" structure of the game was very fun, and I enjoyed taking the subway acting as separate hubs for multiple areas. However, I do wish there was at least one more subways station despite the fact that it can be surprisingly easy to get lost or turned around. Another issue with the structure is that there's little loading scenes that repeat to a grind and will absolutely piss you off after a while. Besides that, the atmosphere is intriguing but it will sometimes come off as cringe level edgy.

The biggest issues with this game come off from it's sluggish and slow movements that in no way help the godawful shooting/aiming. Sometimes your powers will not work the way you're trying to get them to (or how the should), and the AI is just dumb. The story is pretty standard , but there's a moment early on when you first get your powers that completely baffled me: Jackie (the main character) doesn't say anything about it. Not even a quick "What the **** just happened?", the game just keeps going on as if nothing happened until the Darkness gets mentioned as a character about half way through the story.

Some other minor faults from this game are that I really don't think Kirk Acevedo was a good fit for the voice actor of Jackie. The graphics, because they went for this realistic looking aesthetic that just didn't look great in the first place anyways, have aged very poorly. And the multiplayer, which I remember playing back in the day, was pretty **** and a complete waste of resources.

Again, I do like this game and if you can find it for cheap or rent it give it a try. But objectively, this is an average game, probably not even that to be honest.
  4. JasonH.
    Jul 8, 2007
    THIS GAME IS NOT REALLY A SHOOTER. Bottom line, if you like games that give you a NEW STORYTELLING EXPERIENCE like Oblivion and you LIKE GAMES WITHOUT FUN GAMEPLAY, then buy The Darkness and Regret your decision, or Rent it and just be disappointed. Yes, The Darkness is in a first person perspective, but Jackie dies way too fast (ie it is trying to be realistic with its damage a la THIS GAME IS NOT REALLY A SHOOTER. Bottom line, if you like games that give you a NEW STORYTELLING EXPERIENCE like Oblivion and you LIKE GAMES WITHOUT FUN GAMEPLAY, then buy The Darkness and Regret your decision, or Rent it and just be disappointed. Yes, The Darkness is in a first person perspective, but Jackie dies way too fast (ie it is trying to be realistic with its damage a la Rainbow Six Vegas). I thought that having the Darkness meant that I could run up to enemies and use my awesome demon/ execution powers on them, but the majority of this game has to be played in the shadows and at a distance because if you are wide open to the enemy, you will be slaughtered and forced to watch a million death/re-birth video sequences that disguise the long loading times. I have to say that I like Shooters that are fun and arcady like Resistance, but I can tolerate and have fun with games that are tactical and slow like Rainbow Six Vegas; However I cannot tolerate games that appear to be arcady and fun like The Darkness, but then are hampered by the crappy tactical slow gameplay. This game is just not what I expected in a shooter, all the other people seem to love this game, but it really just isn't fun. Plus right in the middle of the storyline, the game really drops off because the story missions, which are the best part of the game because the story is so engaging and good, aren't there. Instead you have to do tons and tons of boring side quests that require lots of back tracking. The open ended environment sucks, because nothing is happening, there are a few hobos here and there, but you just end up walking around at a horribly slow pace around a still and dead New York City that is nice to look at, but then you realize it would be much better if you could run. The game would be only be half as long if you could run and didn't waste your time going back and forth between subway stations and sections of the city at a snail's pace. Plus the Playstation Online won't even work if you have NAT Type 3 because you have to go in and do port forwarding on your router to get it to work. I beat the game in about 3 nights, and I really was just forcing myself to beat it and see if the game ever got any better or more fun, but it didn't really until the last level which is only 30 minutes out of 10 hours of gameplay. Very low replay value as well. You unlock 2 videos, which are good but there could be way more, and comic books to read, but the zoom function on the comic books doesn't work and you can't even read the text. And to all game companies and future games, CONCEPT ART IS NOT A REWARD OR BONUS FOR PLAYING THE GAME. It is just a waste of space and no one cares. At all. Seriously I played the game and experienced all of the environments myself. I don't need to see what the concept art for those environments and the characters looked like before the game was made. Expand
  5. Guardian
    Jul 18, 2008
    Well contrary to other peoples views, i really enjoyed this game alot. I guess its the fact im a bit of a fan also. The storyline is great and its good to see old jackie in a game busting a few ppl off some. Im not sure why so many people dont like it but each to their own. There are elements of comic humour and yeah the graphics are a little outdated but as mentioned it may not be forWell contrary to other peoples views, i really enjoyed this game alot. I guess its the fact im a bit of a fan also. The storyline is great and its good to see old jackie in a game busting a few ppl off some. Im not sure why so many people dont like it but each to their own. There are elements of comic humour and yeah the graphics are a little outdated but as mentioned it may not be for everyone---so rent it b4 you buy it and c what u think. A dark atmosphere, and a comic book come to life...im a fan. :) Expand
  6. GameDoc
    Jul 11, 2007
    Online play is bad. Too many cut scenes take away from the game play. However, it is an enjoyable game with flaws.
  7. BhaS
    Jul 4, 2007
    The similarity of the three previous user reviews (Gabriel, Davis, Jeff, all rating this a 10) leads me to wonder if perhaps these gentlemen are under the employ of Starbreeze.
    Gabriel: "Starbreeze studios has done it again"
    Davis: "Starbreeze has done it again, The Darkness is a masterpice, so get ready to embrace the darkness!" Jeff: "Embrace the darkness" Either that or
    Gabriel: "Starbreeze studios has done it again"
    Jeff: "Embrace the darkness"

Either that or they're not very original...
  8. DafyddE.
    Sep 10, 2007
    This game has its moments but can be rather frustrating. I think I just dont like checkpoints. It is yet another game with absolutely no antialiasing, almost every surface with jagged edges. If it weren't for this lack of AA it would look very nice. Is a little antialiasing too much to ask (this is supposed to be next-gen don't forget)? The controls are clunky. It was expensive This game has its moments but can be rather frustrating. I think I just dont like checkpoints. It is yet another game with absolutely no antialiasing, almost every surface with jagged edges. If it weren't for this lack of AA it would look very nice. Is a little antialiasing too much to ask (this is supposed to be next-gen don't forget)? The controls are clunky. It was expensive too, so I would expect better for the price. Expand
  9. DTucker
    Feb 26, 2008
    a fairly decent effort in making a 'different' FPS. The darkness powers are great fun, making up for the relativley boring peashooters this game displays. Another downfall for this game is ridiculously stupid AI. New York looks dirty and gritty as well it should and holds its own next to any other current gen game. This is not for everybody though as the slow pace and need toa fairly decent effort in making a 'different' FPS. The darkness powers are great fun, making up for the relativley boring peashooters this game displays. Another downfall for this game is ridiculously stupid AI. New York looks dirty and gritty as well it should and holds its own next to any other current gen game. This is not for everybody though as the slow pace and need to travel to differing locals may put some people off, as may the in-you0face language and over the top comic book violence. For me though, it one of the reasons to rate up, not down. Expand
  10. Vamp
    Sep 17, 2008
    Ang F. it sounds to me like you just suck at gaming...The controls, while slightly clunky weren't "That" awful. Granted i did play this before CoD4 came out, and when i tried to go back to the darkness for a 2nd play through the controls seemed too slow-paced. But still. the game has an interesting story, a very sad and lonely feeling about the city, which is very fitting imo. TheAng F. it sounds to me like you just suck at gaming...The controls, while slightly clunky weren't "That" awful. Granted i did play this before CoD4 came out, and when i tried to go back to the darkness for a 2nd play through the controls seemed too slow-paced. But still. the game has an interesting story, a very sad and lonely feeling about the city, which is very fitting imo. The game has personality and isn't bad. Expand

1. Play UK
    The Darkness combines the best bits of mafia and war films, producing one complete, intriguing experience...Few licensed games go beyond the realms of their source material, but The Darkness does it in a fun, gritty and engaging way. [Issue#154, p.62]
    It also feels like a more polished game, and the base mechanics work extremely well by the time you reach the end of the single-player campaign. It doesn't quite have "Riddick's" pacing, due to the open city that asks you to find your own way through, but it presents a better feeling of accomplishment and familiarity by the end.
  3. Interactive storytelling is rarely this good, and there are few game endings that make you sit back and think, “Man, what if I did this instead?” like this one does. For its amazing narrative and believability of characters, and the twisted joys that come from being a slave of a demon, The Darkness will keep you enthralled, even when the gameplay lags a little behind.