7.9

1. Mar 27, 2014
    This is one of the best RPGs out there, let's get that out of the way. It's like Fallout but with a medieval fantasy setting. If you're a fan of exploration, and you've got a strong curiosity, this is going to be an unforgettable experience. If you've played Skyrim, you already know how much detail is put into the world. The character customization is very similar to traditional RPGs, but the character development system allows you to make him unique from anything else.

There are some problems, mainly the level scaling system, which is utter garbage, and has the potential to ruin your experience. The mechanics are quite complex, so if you're new to RPGs, this might not be the right game for you. And you can really see that the game hasn't aged well just by looking at the visuals.
  2. Feb 27, 2014
    This is what happens when people lose the ability to expect quality for what they purchase. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion happens to be an absolute mess...a very glitched and bugged mess. No doubt there is fun to be found within this game, though many can find entertainment in watching staged wrestling, so the argument goes back to quality. There is a lot to do in The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, though it's mostly repetitive fetch quests. Very simple, though not a bad thing...The Elder Scrolls series is the R.P.G. series for the simplistic player or the casual gamer. Expand
  3. Feb 20, 2014
    This game is very fun for a lot of reasons, but I'll name just a few: First, the combat OBVIOUSLY had quite a bit of work put into it, unlike another game *ahem* skyrim *ahem*, anyways, as you level up your skills in swords, maces and giant 90 pound warhammers (literally) you can perform up to 10 different power attacks, the first 5 of which just deal an extra bit of damage, but as you work up into the master skill, you can knock over, or even paralyze others to give yourself an advantage in combat.
    Secondly, The people are interesting and have a personality (yes it's sometimes inconsistent when you click rumors they speak like normal people which ruins some of the crazy personalities of some people, and aside from that it is pretty nice to see people talk to each other and even travel from city to city.
    It isn't perfect, especially compared to the PC and Xbox 360, you can't get a lot of the DLC, some of the quests are buggy as sh*t, especially being cured of vampirism. I won't spoil what happens though. anyways, other than that, I really like it
  4. Feb 8, 2014
    Ah ah ... I ve just killed this big boss and I am going to open the chest that He was defending. The chest contains a wonderful magic sword that I will immediately equip. I should feel stronger but I don't ... Because the entire world levels up automatically !!! From the beginning you can go anywhere, you can beat anyone ! Playing good or clever is not rewarding.

Graphics are stunning.
    Music is nice. The management of your equipment and spells is painful. Extremely painful. Magic offers destruction spells based on fire, ice or shock. I played the entire game using fire balls. I would expect them to be inefficient against specific monster classes ... Nope they work against all enemies. Alchemy is boring like hell.

I loved Morrowind because it was rewarding. I had to be smart, I had to find the best armor and I had to level up in order to be able to beat this big monster barring the entry of this big castle that I wanted to explore since weeks. I am so disappointed by Oblivion. It could have been such a wonderful game if the editor' strategy was not to make it easy and accessible for everyone.
  5. Feb 3, 2014
    Story: 7 out of 10, Graphics: 7 out of 10, Fun: 7 out of 10, Controls: 5 out of 10, Difficulty: 8 out of 10, Length: 10 out of 10, Re-play: 5 out of 10, Value: 8 out of 10
  6. Dec 11, 2013
    I played this game for hours, days, weeks and months. But I never got anywhere. And seeing as there is no compelling storyline here to keep you going, I just stopped. I never got past the first oblivion gate (I didn't even know there would be more then one if it wasn't for friends telling me). So I don't get the appeal of this game, I have no idea how to play it. I never had the feeling my character was getting stronger.
    Together with LittleBigPlanet this is the worst game of this generation I've played.
  7. Aug 17, 2013
    This game always loomed around the video store unnoticed, until I picked it up one day by chance. I never looked back since then, it is one of my all time favorites, and I will always treasure the memories and experiences this game gave me. Absolute 10/10.
  8. Jun 26, 2013
    When I discovered Oblivion in 2007 it instantly became one of my favourite games, and still is today. Oblivion was the first game I had ever played where I had the freedom to go anywhere in the world I wanted to, talk to every NPC and ignore the main quest entirely to wander halfway across the province of Cyrodiil.

On top of the main quest there are several guild questlines to complete
    as well. The Fighters Guild, Mages Guild, Thieves Guild, Dark Brotherhood and the Arena all have long questlines to keep players busy, and some are arguably better than the main quest, although the MQ is quite good as well.

The only downside is that other than Knights of the Nine and the Shivering Isles, the rest of the DLC for Oblivion isn't available for the PS3. Hopefully that'll be fixed one day.
  9. dpc
    Jun 3, 2013
    1st generation graphics? Nothing to do? Whether or not you like the game is your call, but to give it a 0 or 1 is ludicrous. There is simply too much excellence involved in the production of the game to "bomb" it. The music alone should elevate a hater's score to 8. All these years later, Oblivion is still a masterpiece, incredible to play and utterly spectacular to get lost in.
  10. Mar 25, 2013
    This game is not quite Skyrim but it is still very well done, especially for its time. The story is excellent, the graphics are amazing for a 2006 game, and the customization is almost as good as Skyrim, plus there's gambling. If you want other games like Skyrim, it would make sense to stay in the same franchise.
  11. Mar 8, 2013
    Big and beautiful world with an nice OST. I like how the NPC´s have all there own daily routine. The only minus this game has is the battle system, its shallow. Still a defining RPG.
  12. Jan 23, 2013
    A sprawling, epic role-playing game that is as vast as it is dense. You can play this game dozens of times and still find new things to do. The world feels ancient and lived-in and the mythology surrounding the characters and events have a fantasy vibe that doesn't feel like a simple Tolkien rip-off - a rare thing, indeed.

"Oblivion" isn't perfect, though. Some of the character
    attributes are utterly useless and the menus are incredibly cumbersome. Also distracting is the voice work. Aside from important characters played by Patrick Stewart, Sean Bean, and Terrence Stamp, who do excellent work, it seems like the same 6 or 7 voice actors play ALL the other roles. Problem is, they don't even bother changing up their deliveries from character to character, and there are literaly hundreds of speaking parts in this thing. The result is that this very imprtant aspect of the game feels cheap.

In all, though, "Oblivion" is a really fun and immersive ride that you can return to for a long time.
  13. Dec 17, 2012
    This game started me with RPG's, it is awesome, I loved open mapped games, ignore the negative votes, This type of games is where you have to find the main missions or misc missions, not for them too come to you! Awesome swords, spells etc, simply best :)
  14. Nov 19, 2012
    Utter **** I'll stick the with Final Fantasy games on the ps1, they piss all over this rubbish. Wandering around with nothing really happening is not my idea of a good time. Awful
  15. Sep 27, 2012
    This game is the benchmark for modern open-world RPGs. The character customisation is deep, there are so many stats and options to toy with, and Cyrodiil is massive. At the time of release, this was just ground-breaking. The amount of land to cover and dungeons to explore is mind-numbing. Every NPC is interactable with a full voice-over, and every house is enterable. The game easily eats up hundreds of hours of time and still holds up as one of the best RPGs today.

Oblivion isn't without its faults though. The voice casting for every character is done by no more than five voice actors and the character models are frankly quite ugly, but the amount of stuff to do outshines these aspects greatly. This game is a classic and I implore you to pick it up now.
  16. Aug 17, 2012
    Personally I think it's superior to Skyrim. It's such a flawless game packed with things to do, and on top of that manages to be utterly charming. It's dark in parts but is full of humour and great moments. The possibilities are endless and it's probably the best game I've ever played.
  17. Aug 16, 2012
    So many GLITCHES!!, I would give this game a 10 if those lazy bastards over at bethesda would have put out a patch to fix it..
    Content wise this is a ground breaking game for consoles, and with so much you can expect some glitches and to some point accept it, but glitches that literally screw the entire game, that's to much, get your **** together bethesda!..
  18. Jul 31, 2012
    Way ahead of its time. This game is huge and brilliant. The story is well crafted and keeps the player interested at all times. The side stories and quests are perhaps even better than the main quest line, as the player feels as if they can make their own stories. The visuals were very good for the time as well. My only complaints would be that some of the areas seem repetitive, and the character AI can get a little annoying. However, even with these issues, I still rate this game a 10. Expand
  19. Apr 3, 2012
    I sank more hours into Oblivion than any other game I have ever played. I loved this game. From start to finish and beyond, it was an immeasurable joy to play. The sense of exploration and adventure was second to none. Even though Oblivion is now an old game and it's sequel Skyrim is knocking about, it still holds up really well and is eminently playable. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that despite Skyrim's refinements and graphical prowess, Oblivion still stands proud as it's equal. Expand
  20. Mar 21, 2012
    The same great game from the PC, but with points off because the official add-ons were never released for PS3. I actually prefer the control scheme on PlayStation, but the slicker interface is not worth the loss of FrostCrag Spire and all of my other additional content. I'm not sure what they were thinking releasing them for PC & 360 while skipping over PS3, but the lack of the additional content does hurt the game for this platform. Expand
  21. Jan 4, 2012
    Oblivion disappointed me. I bought it in 2010 and I was really looking forward to playing it. When I put the disc in my PS3 I was happy, I thought this game was going to be really good. I made my character and I started the story. After I got out of the sewer, I did my first quest, after that I was bored. I got the GOTY edition, so I decided to go over to the strange gate that opened and I started the Shivering Isles expansion. I was still bored. Does this mean that Oblivion was a bad game? No. I just wasn't playing it right. But when I finally realised that It was an open-world RPG I decided to play it as one. So after not playing for months, I started the game and started exploring. And I was still bored. I didn't find it fun exploring the massive open-world and I was never really compelled to do any more exploring. In the end I just gave up on Oblivion and waited for Skyrim, which I was sceptical about after my time with Oblivion, but I bought Skyrim and it was an incredible game. I guess Skyrim was just made better than Oblivion. Or maybe it was something to do with me. I don't know. But Oblivion certainly is a good game. Just not a great game in my opinion. Expand
  22. Dec 30, 2011
    One of the best games ever created. Massive world,massive amount of customization,amazing graphics, beautiful soundtrack and touching story makes Oblivion an experience of lifetime. Oblivion improves everything from Morrowind. Get ready to lose your social life
  23. Dec 19, 2011
    This is what games should aspire to be. Oblivion is a masterpiece when you consider that the game is able to be played by virutually your own imagination. One has to remember that RPG stands for Role Playing Game and this game takes that concept to heart. Want to be a thief, no problem the game allows you to be a thief. Want to be a bad ass Mage, no problem. Want to summon stuff and watch the chaos, no problem. Just want to walk around and do whatever comes to mind. No problem. This is what i want to stress most about oblivion if you spend some time with the game you can play exactly as you want and there is so much going on within the world (but you have to search to find it). Another thing i want to point out about the game is it has gameplay options that allow you to slide the difficulty anywhere you like at any time. There really has been a limitless ability to allow you to play anyway you prefer and at any difficulty you prefer. The only reason I can find to knock a point off this game despite being so large is that it contains still unfixed glitches and a few weird things (like activating a "night eye" spell with intentions to make you see in the dark- in the light can make you seem to be invisible) -which can break immersion or just tick you off for all the hours you put in. But really this games goes above and beyond providing gamers their monies worth no one should rate this under 8 at worse. Expand
  24. Nov 17, 2011
    I bought the Game of the Year edition. It was great. Herping and derping killing people and demons. Running away from the law with a stolen horse. Then I got turned into a vampire...apparently there's a glitch on the Game of the Year PS3 version that prevents you from turning back human. I couldn't stand all the multi-tasking that came with being a Vampire. You would think after all these years they would have patched this glitch, but noooo. Quit after I found a demonic artifact for that monk. Expand
  25. Nov 10, 2011
    It's a rare moment, but once in a decade it happens. Once in a decade there comes a game that makes the real world sound dull, sucks you in it's vast, detailed and atmospheric world for hundreds of hours.
    This is THE game from the last decade, a game you don't want to miss for all it's worth.
  26. Oct 31, 2011
    I bought this game because I loved Fallout 3 so much, and it's amazing how similar yet different the games can be. Fallout 3 made me a fan with the storyline, the character development, and the sheer creativity of the post-apocalyptic Washington D.C. So, I thought Oblivion would be equally awesome. And was I ever wrong. Oblivion is the same big environment, free-roam idea, but it has no heart. It's technically impressive in terms of the sheer massiveness of it all, but there's nothing about it that made me want to see where it would all end. The combat system is clunky and unsatisfying, and if you aren't a fan of medieval times, this won't make a convert. Very disappointing. If they had been able to put a little soul into this huge body of work, it could have been a giant of a game. Expand
  27. Oct 19, 2011
    Probably the best fantasy-world simulation ever made. The size and detail put into the world are jaw-dropping and I personally played over 200 hours without touching the main quest. I cant even put into a full review my thoughts, but I've started new characters countless times and am still playing it 4 years after release.

If you like fantasy, play this game.
  28. Sep 25, 2011
    The elder scrolls series is by far one of the richest and most engrossing franchises around the sheer volume of content in this game is overwhelming I spent a fair few months of my life in this game just developing my own character and exploring a massive new world this is a game to play if you really want a game in which you can just get lost in the environment, the characters, the enemies and the storyline make this by far the best RPG game out there. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim has got very big shoes to fill I have high hopes that it will not just fill those shoes but will set the standard for all RPG games for the future. Long live The Elder Scrolls. Expand
  29. Sep 21, 2011
    Though, despite the huge hype and respect for this game, I find it to be quite terrible. It's just simply not my kind of game. I found the game play to be disturbingly horrible, the graphics are what you would expect to see on a first generation console. I can't say to much for the story line, sense I could not get more then 10 minutes into the game without turning it off in absolute sickness. So all around, I don't really have a right to review this game sense I could not even get close to finishing it. I understand that a lot of people love this game, and completely understand those who are wanting to send me bomb threats for my huge hatred towards this game. I just though I should let others know that this games is not worth paying any attention to, and should be forgotten as soon as possible. Except for those who already love the game. Expand
  30. Sep 9, 2011
    TESIV Oblivion is definitely the greatest open-world RPG game out there to date. If you're really into RPGs, this game will likely take over 100 hours of immersive gameplay. There are tons to do in this game outside the main quest, you could join the many guilds (eg. Mage guild, fighter guild etc), be a champion gladiator, a thief/burglar, treasure hunting, randomly punching people in the face if you don't like how they look at you, and about a hundred other sidequests. Character customisation is fun, you can choose different races, your speciality, your attire, weapons etc. You'll also be spending a good amount of time exploring the cities, caves, and wilderness across Cyrodiil. The landscape is vast, detailed and beautiful to look at. And on top of all this, if you can't get enough of this game, the Shivering Isle expansion is a must get. Therefore, I suggest to any PS3 gamers to get the Game of the Year Edition because it includes both Knights of the Nine and Shivering Isle expansion in the game for the same price. They're all very good expansions. Anyway, there are some flaws, nothing major but are present nonetheless. Character creation is poor, you can never make a good looking male..... good thing you get to put a helmet on. There are limited character animation, and therefore fights may look less epic. NPCs have no emotions, or at least do not express them on their faces, will feel very awkward during conversations when they are scared but giving you the blank face at the same time. And they will stand very still while the background pauses during conversations. There are also no trophy support for the PS3 version. But all in all, I've got to say despite all these flaws, this game is excellent (keeping in mind what year this game was produced). Therefore, I give Oblivion a 10 out 10! Expand

The fundamental game is just so epic, the world so vast, the options so varied, that you'll find more quality gameplay shoehorned into this disc than just about any other game I can think of. But the version sitting on store shelves right now is inferior to its brethren on other platforms. So I can really only recommend it if you don't own a 360 or a PC capable of running the game well.
  2. Oblivion on PS3 is one of the biggest and most impressive role-playing games in history, and you owe it to yourself to play it if you haven’t already experienced it elsewhere.
  3. What this game lacks for in screen resolution, it makes up for in its excellent open world, beautiful art design, and grand architecture.