8.0

1. Mar 15, 2011
    Graphics/Performance(10/10): Oblivion features vast, believable wilderness with good graphics for 2007. The draw distance on some objects can break immersion, but this is necessary as the view distance is at least a couple miles. Unfortunately, due to the above sometimes outdoor performance is less than perfect, but never unplayable. Animations are stiff and uninspired in third personGraphics/Performance(10/10): Oblivion features vast, believable wilderness with good graphics for 2007. The draw distance on some objects can break immersion, but this is necessary as the view distance is at least a couple miles. Unfortunately, due to the above sometimes outdoor performance is less than perfect, but never unplayable. Animations are stiff and uninspired in third person mode. All races share the exact same animations. Loading screens range from seconds to half a minute.

Singleplayer(10/10): Great length. You can literally play for days without even touching the main story line after the beginning.

Multiplayer(N/A): N/A

Gameplay(9/10): You can pretty much do anything you want to in Oblivion. If you want to run around and kill wildlife, you can. If you want to be a thief and spend your time stealing and avoiding the guards, you can. You can make your character into a warrior and face everything head on, a stealthy rouge and attack from the shadows, a mage and fight with magic and creatures, or any combination of the above. However, a lot of the NPC interaction is very cheesy. You can save an NPCâ
  2. Apr 5, 2011
    This must be the best game I have ever played. The graphics, are amazing and there is simply so much to do. There must be over 150 side-quests and the story is interesting but its not very long. 10
  3. Jul 31, 2012
    Way ahead of its time. This game is huge and brilliant. The story is well crafted and keeps the player interested at all times. The side stories and quests are perhaps even better than the main quest line, as the player feels as if they can make their own stories. The visuals were very good for the time as well. My only complaints would be that some of the areas seem repetitive, and theWay ahead of its time. This game is huge and brilliant. The story is well crafted and keeps the player interested at all times. The side stories and quests are perhaps even better than the main quest line, as the player feels as if they can make their own stories. The visuals were very good for the time as well. My only complaints would be that some of the areas seem repetitive, and the character AI can get a little annoying. However, even with these issues, I still rate this game a 10. Expand
  4. Sep 27, 2012
    This game is the benchmark for modern open-world RPGs. The character customisation is deep, there are so many stats and options to toy with, and Cyrodiil is massive. At the time of release, this was just ground-breaking. The amount of land to cover and dungeons to explore is mind-numbing. Every NPC is interactable with a full voice-over, and every house is enterable. The game easily eatsThis game is the benchmark for modern open-world RPGs. The character customisation is deep, there are so many stats and options to toy with, and Cyrodiil is massive. At the time of release, this was just ground-breaking. The amount of land to cover and dungeons to explore is mind-numbing. Every NPC is interactable with a full voice-over, and every house is enterable. The game easily eats up hundreds of hours of time and still holds up as one of the best RPGs today.

Oblivion isn't without its faults though. The voice casting for every character is done by no more than five voice actors and the character models are frankly quite ugly, but the amount of stuff to do outshines these aspects greatly. This game is a classic and I implore you to pick it up now.
  5. Mar 8, 2013
    Big and beautiful world with an nice OST. I like how the NPC´s have all there own daily routine. The only minus this game has is the battle system, its shallow. Still a defining RPG.
  6. Aug 14, 2011
    I confess to playing every mission and every side mission and every other damn piece of content I could find. Oblivion was by turns compelling and maddening. The complete game world, gorgeous landscapes, dynamic difficulty matching, seamless side-quest integration, and thorough attention to storyline and script places it head and shoulders above other RPGs in conception and gameplay. AndI confess to playing every mission and every side mission and every other damn piece of content I could find. Oblivion was by turns compelling and maddening. The complete game world, gorgeous landscapes, dynamic difficulty matching, seamless side-quest integration, and thorough attention to storyline and script places it head and shoulders above other RPGs in conception and gameplay. And yet, in execution, some horrible blunders mar the experience: truly awful voice acting, long load times, and an unfortunate tendency to crash at the most immersion-destroying moments. Still, I've played the whole thing, so Oblivion had enough "X-factor" to overcome the glaring defects. Let's hope Skyrim has better QA and voice acting! Expand
  7. Sep 25, 2011
    The elder scrolls series is by far one of the richest and most engrossing franchises around the sheer volume of content in this game is overwhelming I spent a fair few months of my life in this game just developing my own character and exploring a massive new world this is a game to play if you really want a game in which you can just get lost in the environment, the characters, theThe elder scrolls series is by far one of the richest and most engrossing franchises around the sheer volume of content in this game is overwhelming I spent a fair few months of my life in this game just developing my own character and exploring a massive new world this is a game to play if you really want a game in which you can just get lost in the environment, the characters, the enemies and the storyline make this by far the best RPG game out there. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim has got very big shoes to fill I have high hopes that it will not just fill those shoes but will set the standard for all RPG games for the future. Long live The Elder Scrolls. Expand
  8. Jun 26, 2013
    When I discovered Oblivion in 2007 it instantly became one of my favourite games, and still is today. Oblivion was the first game I had ever played where I had the freedom to go anywhere in the world I wanted to, talk to every NPC and ignore the main quest entirely to wander halfway across the province of Cyrodiil.

On top of the main quest there are several guild questlines to complete

On top of the main quest there are several guild questlines to complete as well. The Fighters Guild, Mages Guild, Thieves Guild, Dark Brotherhood and the Arena all have long questlines to keep players busy, and some are arguably better than the main quest, although the MQ is quite good as well.

The only downside is that other than Knights of the Nine and the Shivering Isles, the rest of the DLC for Oblivion isn't available for the PS3. Hopefully that'll be fixed one day.
  9. Nov 10, 2011
    It's a rare moment, but once in a decade it happens. Once in a decade there comes a game that makes the real world sound dull, sucks you in it's vast, detailed and atmospheric world for hundreds of hours.
    This is THE game from the last decade, a game you don't want to miss for all it's worth.
  10. Jan 23, 2013
    A sprawling, epic role-playing game that is as vast as it is dense. You can play this game dozens of times and still find new things to do. The world feels ancient and lived-in and the mythology surrounding the characters and events have a fantasy vibe that doesn't feel like a simple Tolkien rip-off - a rare thing, indeed.

"Oblivion" isn't perfect, though. Some of the character

"Oblivion" isn't perfect, though. Some of the character attributes are utterly useless and the menus are incredibly cumbersome. Also distracting is the voice work. Aside from important characters played by Patrick Stewart, Sean Bean, and Terrence Stamp, who do excellent work, it seems like the same 6 or 7 voice actors play ALL the other roles. Problem is, they don't even bother changing up their deliveries from character to character, and there are literaly hundreds of speaking parts in this thing. The result is that this very imprtant aspect of the game feels cheap.

In all, though, "Oblivion" is a really fun and immersive ride that you can return to for a long time.
  11. Aug 16, 2012
    So many GLITCHES!!, I would give this game a 10 if those lazy bastards over at bethesda would have put out a patch to fix it..
    Content wise this is a ground breaking game for consoles, and with so much you can expect some glitches and to some point accept it, but glitches that literally screw the entire game, that's to much, get your **** together bethesda!..
  12. Aug 17, 2012
    Personally I think it's superior to Skyrim. It's such a flawless game packed with things to do, and on top of that manages to be utterly charming. It's dark in parts but is full of humour and great moments. The possibilities are endless and it's probably the best game I've ever played.
  13. Feb 3, 2014
    Story: 7 out of 10, Graphics: 7 out of 10, Fun: 7 out of 10, Controls: 5 out of 10, Difficulty: 8 out of 10, Length: 10 out of 10, Re-play: 5 out of 10, Value: 8 out of 10
  14. Mar 27, 2014
    This is one of the best RPGs out there, let's get that out of the way. It's like Fallout but with a medieval fantasy setting. If you're a fan of exploration, and you've got a strong curiosity, this is going to be an unforgettable experience. If you've played Skyrim, you already know how much detail is put into the world. The character customization is very similar to traditional RPGs, butThis is one of the best RPGs out there, let's get that out of the way. It's like Fallout but with a medieval fantasy setting. If you're a fan of exploration, and you've got a strong curiosity, this is going to be an unforgettable experience. If you've played Skyrim, you already know how much detail is put into the world. The character customization is very similar to traditional RPGs, but the character development system allows you to make him unique from anything else.

There are some problems, mainly the level scaling system, which is utter garbage, and has the potential to ruin your experience. The mechanics are quite complex, so if you're new to RPGs, this might not be the right game for you. And you can really see that the game hasn't aged well just by looking at the visuals.
  15. Feb 8, 2014
    Ah ah ... I ve just killed this big boss and I am going to open the chest that He was defending. The chest contains a wonderful magic sword that I will immediately equip. I should feel stronger but I don't ... Because the entire world levels up automatically !!! From the beginning you can go anywhere, you can beat anyone ! Playing good or clever is not rewarding.

Graphics are stunning.

Graphics are stunning. Music is nice. The management of your equipment and spells is painful. Extremely painful. Magic offers destruction spells based on fire, ice or shock. I played the entire game using fire balls. I would expect them to be inefficient against specific monster classes ... Nope they work against all enemies. Alchemy is boring like hell.

I loved Morrowind because it was rewarding. I had to be smart, I had to find the best armor and I had to level up in order to be able to beat this big monster barring the entry of this big castle that I wanted to explore since weeks. I am so disappointed by Oblivion. It could have been such a wonderful game if the editor' strategy was not to make it easy and accessible for everyone.
  16. Nov 14, 2014
    This is a great game that sadly could not win me over completely. On the good side as always the game world is huge (= tons of exploration), the graphic and soundtrack are really good and the story and side quest are also well done. On the negative side the character faces look really strange and sometimes ugly in comparison with other games, the talking / interaction system is random,This is a great game that sadly could not win me over completely. On the good side as always the game world is huge (= tons of exploration), the graphic and soundtrack are really good and the story and side quest are also well done. On the negative side the character faces look really strange and sometimes ugly in comparison with other games, the talking / interaction system is random, your hero is not the savior / main hero of the game like in Morrowind and Skyrim and my heaviest complaint is that the game punishes you for leveling up. Your character / avatar can become weaker compared to your enemies when you gain levels. Overall Morrowind and Skyrim are the superior games. Expand
  17. Dec 30, 2014
    Oblivion for me is open world games in they're prime with other tiles such as fallout 3/New Vegas Assassin's creed 2 Morrowind and Red dead redemption the game is filled with a huge world to explore and thousands
    of quests Dark brotherhood being my favourite as for the main quest its great but the oblivion gates make it drag on quite a bit
  18. Apr 22, 2015
    This is maybe the best chapter in the saga of The Elder Scrolls. Temporally it was the first I've played, shortly after its release, and even today I found pleasure in playing it further.

I will be clear from the beginning: the story of Oblivion is the best of the saga. I loved Cyrodiil, I loved the era in which it takes place and its setting. I loved the story steeped in intrigue, conspiracies, murders, and all the magic mix of fantasy inspired by the stories of Tolkien, even if the game manages to maintain its own content and its own original form so finding a plot on his own. The ending of the plot is beautiful, and leaves you a glimmer of hope despite the dark times that will accompany the empire in the following years. Really great.

The gameplay of Oblivion is the perfection achieved in the saga, as it is not complexed and indecent as the one of Morrowind, but at the same time is not as simple and easy as the one of Skyrim. The step up from Morrowind was the addition of teleports, a combat system finally realistic and well done, the diary of the missions has been improved and now finally the objectives are indicated on the map. The step forward from the previous chapter, it was surprising and Oblivion represent the maturity that much expect, without sacrificing difficulty and challenge. The rest is the gameplay that The Elder Scrolls has accustomed us: an extended and free roaming map, so much choice between the races of the characters and a good editor to edit them, so many skills to choose from and many side quests. There is everything we knew, we needed and it is improved. If I had to say a lack of Oblivion I would say that, unlike Skyrim and Morrowind, is rather dispersive. When exiting the sewers at the beginning of the game, literally you don't know and you don't understand what to do, where to go. This can be an advantage, because it makes the sense of freedom really large, but also a failure because confuses the player.

Graphically, Oblivion was magnificent at the time, and still it is. The artistic level reached by Bethesda is extraordinary: the fortresses, the mountains, the plains, the cities, the moons of Nirn, everything is very well made. Literally represents the fantasy genre, in its highest purity. I liked also the sound component, and once again Jeremy Soule has created a great soundtrack.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, is not only the most beautiful chapter in the saga, but it is also an essential piece of history, a legacy of the rpg games, which every good fan of this kind of games should boast of having played.

The fundamental game is just so epic, the world so vast, the options so varied, that you'll find more quality gameplay shoehorned into this disc than just about any other game I can think of. But the version sitting on store shelves right now is inferior to its brethren on other platforms. So I can really only recommend it if you don't own a 360 or a PC capable of running the game well.
  2. Oblivion on PS3 is one of the biggest and most impressive role-playing games in history, and you owe it to yourself to play it if you haven’t already experienced it elsewhere.
  3. What this game lacks for in screen resolution, it makes up for in its excellent open world, beautiful art design, and grand architecture.